Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Considering you can get 2 500kg bombs and those are much more versatile, 2 or 3 railcannon shots akin to the 3 you get for Orbital Laser would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the orbital railcannon having enough delay to determine if the titan is dead would be perfect. either its a Bang...Bang and its dead, or its a 1 2 shot to a titan and charger. that would be awesome and look cool as hell.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

BastardySkull posted:

Considering you can get 2 500kg bombs and those are much more versatile, 2 or 3 railcannon shots akin to the 3 you get for Orbital Laser would be nice.

The 3 charges of orbital laser aren't a bonus, that's a limitation.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Hm true, I forgot that railcannon recharges! I think I'm more comparing it to the relatively short cooldown between 2 500kg bombs. I agree a two-tap from the railcannon would be sick.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

also is there anyway to see what the mission is if you join late? i'll join a game where all 3 other people are already on the ground but i don't know what the mission is so i just go with my default loadout.

I find this question confusing because when I join someone else’s game I am picking it off the war map and it shows the specific mission, how many players, who they are and what level. Is there some other way to do it? I did join a Bile Titan assassination mission once and it turned out to be the end of a stop illegal broadcast mission instead, not sure how that happened.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Do personal orders build up? I thought I've seen myself with two before but i didn't play yesterday and I still only have one today.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

i've had a few weird bugs recently (only been playing for 1-2 weeks)

1. me and another group of 3 complete a mission. we go through the normal stats thing at the end.. except during the cutscene of the eagle flying back to the ship it said i failed to extract and gave me a mission failed screen. it looks like i kept my experience though.

2. i'll sometimes get stuck behind the row of pods when i go onto another persons ship and i can't leave until they start the mission.

also is there anyway to see what the mission is if you join late? i'll join a game where all 3 other people are already on the ground but i don't know what the mission is so i just go with my default loadout.

in the equipment select screen you can tab back to the mission info. on a PS5 you hit L1.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the orbital railcannon having enough delay to determine if the titan is dead would be perfect. either its a Bang...Bang and its dead, or its a 1 2 shot to a titan and charger. that would be awesome and look cool as hell.

You should consider yourself lucky if the orbital railcannon gunner actually hits a bug, then consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky if they decide to hit an elite target instead of the tiniest dude on the map.

https://i.imgur.com/v7MIy7q.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KumR6uU.mp4

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Is there some other way to do it?

It's a big ol' button along the bottom of the map that says "Quickmatch", which works like they explained when it joins an in-progress game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zwabu posted:

I find this question confusing because when I join someone else’s game I am picking it off the war map and it shows the specific mission, how many players, who they are and what level. Is there some other way to do it? I did join a Bile Titan assassination mission once and it turned out to be the end of a stop illegal broadcast mission instead, not sure how that happened.

Like 2/3 of the time I do that it'll either be full or just won't connect so I generally do random, and if you do a random quickmatch you get zero information about what type of mission it is (other than whether its bugs or bots). Knowing whether it's a defend/TCS/scientists mission vs other types is important and really should be added.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Zwabu posted:

Just hit R on the PC version while looking at the map to autojoin a random game on that planet and difficulty.

If you pop into a game while they're already in the mission, I haven't been able to tab back to the mission overview to see _what_ we're doing, so I just guess on loadout based on what those in the mission already have.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Tom Tucker posted:

It takes a special kind of game where a bullshit unexplained blue laser can appear and just delete you while you’re trying to do a mission and everyone agrees it’s just the coolest poo poo ever and gets so excited.

The game has a huge degree of “bullshit is part of the game” in a way few have since :xcom: so you can just gently caress with players by all of a sudden sometimes having flying enemies you’ve never introduced murder everyone and the players eat it up. Such good vibes.

Last night I had a random Automaton Trooper show up who was invincible. Me and my team all unloaded a clip in it, I shot a recoilless rifle at it; nothing worked. It chased us around for a minute before dropping dead.

Bug, or Terminator homage?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

JBP posted:

AMR is becoming my low key favourite anti bot gun on 9 because it absolutely fucks up hulks and they're to only thing I feel like I'm always searching for an answer to.

Need to use that more, love it. I definitely feel like vs bugs there is too much medium armor enemies for it to work properly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fighting on Hellmire is tough with the fire tornadoes.

Has anyone found a working armored car yet? I saw a video of one in the wild but all I've found are burnt out wrecks.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Diephoon posted:

You should consider yourself lucky if the orbital railcannon gunner actually hits a bug, then consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky if they decide to hit an elite target instead of the tiniest dude on the map.

-snip-

Have you considered throwing the beacon to within the same zip code as the target you want it to hit?

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 18, 2024

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Diephoon posted:

(railcannon whiff vids removed)

I've used this thing like 20 times in the past week, and it's yet to miss a bile titan or charger. One shots chargers every time, bile titan's it's maybe 50/50 on Dead vs Gaping Hole.

Throw better maybe? There's definitely a range it can extend out, but it's not THAT huge.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Diephoon posted:

Maybe actually throw it near your target. I've literally never had a wrong target priority on my railcannons the entire time I've played with them.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Ravendas posted:

If you pop into a game while they're already in the mission, I haven't been able to tab back to the mission overview to see _what_ we're doing, so I just guess on loadout based on what those in the mission already have.
Every time I join mid-mission and see pubbies loaded up to the gills with turrets and mortars it turns out to be a 12 minutes blitz mission somehow :shepface:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there a way to cancel out of a stratagem throw?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Hwurmp posted:

Is there a way to cancel out of a stratagem throw?

Open up your strategem menu again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Open up your strategem menu again.

Or change weapons

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i was disappointed it did not give 2 precision shots either. it does make the chaingun barrage even better for defense map though, it can gently caress up all trash and even damage heavies any time there is a choke it can be pretty useful, or just toss it right on a breach/bot drop

Love throwing it on breaches. Plus with the 80(?) second cooldown or it can be used quite a lot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Recently picked this up and it's been enjoyable. The gameplay loop is fun as hell, and the multiplayer aspect has been mostly OK.

Quick question, when you upgrade your ship with rare resources and you get something like "Increase ammo for all sentries by 50%".

Is that for just when you use your own ship to run missions and everyone gets that benefit? Or does it only apply to you all the time no matter who is running missions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only applies to your own stratagems since you're calling down items from your own super destroyer even if you launch from someone else's ship on the initial dive.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Ravenfood posted:

Or change weapons

What if I already pressed on mouse 1 so I’m committed to the throw if I release?

Respond quickly it’s a 380

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Here is a list of super fun strategems that are less used:

Air burst - drops three blasts great for dealing with bug breaches and does really good damage.
Walking barrage - when there are thing sort of “that way” no not “in that area” that’s a different barrage.
Eagle rocket pods - very similar to rail gun but they’re rockets!
Autocannon turret - S tier for sound design alone and can kill chargers
Flamethrower - the voice acting makes this a must pick every few missions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Philthy posted:

Recently picked this up and it's been enjoyable. The gameplay loop is fun as hell, and the multiplayer aspect has been mostly OK.

Quick question, when you upgrade your ship with rare resources and you get something like "Increase ammo for all sentries by 50%".

Is that for just when you use your own ship to run missions and everyone gets that benefit? Or does it only apply to you all the time no matter who is running missions?

Permanent personal buff. Boosters (the yellow hexagons you can equip alongside stratagems) are mission-long buffs for the entire squad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Philthy posted:

it upgrades your ship, so its only for you and your calldowns. The shared elements are the boosters, which apply team wide buffs, and the resupply pod or SEAF artillery stratagems if you finish that objective on a map.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Noise posted:

What if I already pressed on mouse 1 so I’m committed to the throw if I release?

Yeah this you can't do, as far as I know. You can put the strategem away if you haven't used it but if you're priming it there's no way to cancel it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Tom Tucker posted:

hit snooze on this until you get the turret rotation speed upgrade

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question about SEAF Artillery. You load five shells and then it's ready to fire. If you exhaust those five shells but you return to the gun can you reload it with the other shells that are usually lying around?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tom Tucker posted:

Air burst - drops three blasts great for dealing with bug breaches and does really good damage.
Walking barrage - when there are thing sort of “that way” no not “in that area” that’s a different barrage.

I used the Autocannon Sentry last night in Space Scotland. If it's set up properly high so you're not taking out teammates, it's fantastic. We had a ton of robots streaming through a narrow pass, and it was lighting them up nonstop. Lots of splash damage and explosions.

It's neat how it fires in three round bursts, because it usually takes three rounds to take out the biggest non-hulk baddies for the robots.

Edit:

Arc Hammer posted:

Question about SEAF Artillery. You load five shells and then it's ready to fire. If you exhaust those five shells but you return to the gun can you reload it with the other shells that are usually lying around?

No. The terminal is nonresponsive and it won't let you load more.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

hit snooze on this until you get the turret rotation speed upgrade

nah they still are amazing, just use them when you know what direction the enemy is going to be at. they are excellent against bug breaches as if you can get it set up a decent distance away and on high ground, it makes it easy for the team to just wipe the breach and prevent chain alerts. its also great at covering the team as it retreats or as it moves on after an objective, and is fantastic at defending an objective if you can get it on high ground.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Tom Tucker posted:

Walking Barrage is a great way to destroy something more than 50m from you - sometimes you just want to reach out and kill something without getting too close. It's particularly good for walking over Bot Bases, but will also mess up eggs real good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gatling and Machine gun turrets with the rotation upgrade sound hilarious. I'd probably end up buzzsawing myself in half because they'd swing around so fast tracking targets.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Has anyone found the eagle rocket pods to be less consistent than they used to be? I swear they were an easy bring for Bot missions since they handled Hulks and Tanks no sweat; now I feel like it's a 50/50 chance that they even hit hulks at all. It's not like they're not being targeted, it's just the delivery of the rockets is always a few feet behind or above them

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

raverrn posted:

This, but it should be two simultaneous, independent shots when you call it in. Toast a Charger and a Bile Titan, have fun with it.

Both of you are so correct it hurts

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have never had much luck with the Eagle rocket pods. Mostly they seem to miss, or if they hit they don't appear to do any damage. I can't actually remember them taking down a charger or a hulk.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm on PC, and my brother is on ps5. He can't accept my friend request, and I can't accept his. It shows up in the socal tab, but when you try and click accept it doesn't do anything

We both have crossplay on, we both are updated to the most recent version. I'm going crazy here. Please help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

skaianDestiny posted:

Maybe actually throw it near your target. I've literally never had a wrong target priority on my railcannons the entire time I've played with them.

I'll concede the second clip but you all don't think the first one was close enough? The laser landed right in front of the titan while it was standing still to spit and the shot went WAY off target.