Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

So, suggestions/help for the faith beatstick in the mid game-ish? Basically I've been rocking this raw longsword all game and I've recently gotten the lightning enchant spell, which is excellent and fun. I spent my blessed infusion gem on a bident (huge mistake), and I have one lightning gem that I don't wanna blow on the wrong thing. I have finally started cranking faith and have 35fth currently. Weapon suggestions?
  • Raw Long sword: I get six swipes and can blender anything that it can stagger, awesome. Unfortunately, other than dogs nothing gets staggered to it, especially the dangerous stuff like knights or dudes with hard-to-interrupt (hyperarmour?) attacks.
  • The boss-souls greatsword from the big skeleton: Has faith scaling and I like how stuff reacts to getting hit by it. It's finally hitting harder than the raw sword BUT CAN'T CAST LIGHTNING ENCHANTMENT ON IT WHAT!?
  • Holy-infused Bident: Sucks terribly, sorry. Also I hate spear poking, I only enchanted it since I was desperate for anything that faith scaled. Rather big dearth of ones dropping naturally.
  • Mace: Looks cool, feels ok-ish if boring, not sure if it staggers enough? But is basically the perfect role-play of what I want to be: in the cursed cathedral area near the two giants, there where some heavy armour bruisers with greatshields who buffed themselves? Yea I wanna be them.
  • Mysterious weapon that's totally gonna drop soon, just you wait: I'm getting sick of waiting for the perfect toy to drop. Ideally it'll be one-handed so I can keep using this 16Str greatshield, not impractically ponderous, yet still have some good stagger when I smack people with it. Oh, and has faith scaling and can let me enchant it with this lightning spell which feels like the only paladin-like thing I've gotten ahold of. And a pony, please.

Should I blow my lightning gem on the longsword to stack the elemental damages, keep the longsword as raw as the lightning buff works off of base damage (???), maybe try out a very vanilla weapon which has escaped my notice as so far? (16Str/13dex fwiw)

Thanks in advance!

I guess we should have mentioned a small handful of weapons suck rear end, and Saint Bident is one of them. Eventually you'll be able to buy the infusion gems you need from the vendor at firelink.

"Unique" weapons found from bosses or soul transposition can't be infused or enhanced with your spells, nor can weapons you've infused with elements be enchanted with your spells either. If you're feeling up for a small grind the Lothric Knight Straight Sword is generally considered the best vanilla weapon in the game. It scales well with every playstyle, has long reach, and a great weapon art. You can get one as early as the first area in High Wall of Lothric. Just past the trench where the dragon strafes the zombies with flame is a lone Lothric Knight patrolling the area. That guy has a slim chance of dropping it. There's also a bonfire close by too for rapid farming.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The stairs between Dancer and Vordt is a good place to farm for a Lothric Knight sword.

Great allround weapon for the entire game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Lothric Knight Sword is the best straight sword (it's hard to overstate the value of reach compared to other properties a weapon might have) but I honestly think the "straight swords are the best weapons in the game" thing is kind of exaggerated, possibly as a consequence of people hearing PvP talk and thinking it applies generally.

Straight swords are good; they have high damage for how fast they are. They're among the best weapons for 1v1 dueling with another human being. But for PvE I'd rate great hammers over anything else -- because the ability to consistently interrupt enemy animations (and not be interrupted yourself) is practically a cheat code.

The only place this falls apart is with heavily armored bosses who basically never flinch no matter what, where fast weapons really come back into their own again. And that does describe a lot of DS3's bosses, to be fair. But I don't think the boss : field enemy disparity is so great to invalidate it, because an ultra weapon will still kill bosses just fine, just a little bit slower than straight swords / daggers / etc., while simultaneously being borderline cheat codes against anything smaller.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Horace Kinch posted:

I guess we should have mentioned a small handful of weapons suck rear end, and Saint Bident is one of them. Eventually you'll be able to buy the infusion gems you need from the vendor at firelink.

Saint Bident's damage isn't that notable, but one weird thing it has going for it is that the reach is absolutely enormous compared to normal spears, because for some reason your character holds it near the end. I think you also get much better damage from Lightning or even Chaos/Dark compared to Blessed though, for some arcane scaling reason. I got a lot of use out of a dark infused one on a pyromancer playthrough, for fire resistant enemies.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blessed is good as a catch-all imo because your damage isn't being split. Dark works well because like 50% of the foes in this game are weak to it, and very few things shrug off lightning.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Horace Kinch posted:

Blessed is good as a catch-all imo because your damage isn't being split. Dark works well because like 50% of the foes in this game are weak to it, and very few things shrug off lightning.

That's true generally, but the Bident in particular actually deals better damage uninfused then when infused with Blessed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Horace Kinch posted:

this is slander and you're building bident wrong if you think this.

saint bident is one of the better spears for being one of the longest but not having the worse moveset that the other very long spears have, and also on any faith leveling build it has damage that is at least competitive with other spears, if not outright the best among them.

ex: If you pump faith to 40 while leveling str/dex only to reqs, infusing it with lightning gets the best damage amongst every spear in the game.
If you do a higher level pyro build taking both int and faith up to 40, infusing with chaos/dark(very good infusions lategame and for pvp), it will have again the best damage of any spear.

This is, again, on top of having 3rd longest reach of any spear while retaining the good spear moveset. It's legit in the running for best faith weapon in the whole game, though there are dlc weapons that beat it out. But that goes for a lot of build types, because a good chunk of ds3 dlc weapons(especially ringed city) are straightforwardly insanely good to get people using them once the dlc hit.

The actual issue here is that Blessed infusion just loving sucks for anything other than hp regen cheese, which is a bad gimmick.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

I used a blessed Dragonslayer Axe for my pyro and was a good weapon for exploring.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

just beat the motherfucking dlc dragon after about 40 tries in what felt like a fluke because i managed to stun it and hit a critical for the last quarter of health

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

spaceblancmange posted:

just beat the motherfucking dlc dragon after about 40 tries in what felt like a fluke because i managed to stun it and hit a critical for the last quarter of health

That wasn't a fluke, that last critical seems to happen every time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Where you able to sell items directly from your inventory in DS2? Because every time I see another trash drop in my inventory I die a bit.

Also I'm gonna complain about that Dancer of Boreal boss now. Not because it was hard, but mostly due to the camera. Special callout to getting shoved into the fight immediately after winning another boss fight, and when I boned-out I'm left wondering where the gently caress that arena was, exactly? Basically took a loving sightseeing tour around all cathedral environments until I saw a mist door.

Speaking of the camera, the big black blobs sticking out of peasants are back, and I can't fight them at all as most of the fight is spend trying to rotate the camera so it's far enough away to actually see what their attacks look like, nevermind not being inside the enemy model. Ugh.

I eventually settled on the Holy Sword of Woljnir, it staggers knights well enough and has good range. And I have poise now, yay! But these 40 points of faith are brining nothing to the table, it's a goddamn tragedy; I cheated and looked at the wiki, and it tells me all my utility spells don't scale with faith, and nuking dudes with lightning is somehow still terribly inefficient.

Very bitter moments in my currently playthrough.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In DS2, you could sell items off, but only to my man Gavlan, he of the wheeling and dealing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serephina posted:

Speaking of the camera, the big black blobs sticking out of peasants are back, and I can't fight them at all as most of the fight is spend trying to rotate the camera so it's far enough away to actually see what their attacks look like, nevermind not being inside the enemy model. Ugh.

Try fire

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You are close to the Sunbro covenant shrine. Be a Sunbro, put down your sign in front of fog gates and get summoned.

Turn in 30 sunlight medals for the second best offesive faith spell in the game.

Dancer’s is a great place for getting summoned. If you have found Dorhy’s gnawing, that spell will just rip Dancer to shreds in a sing blue estus.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Where you able to sell items directly from your inventory in DS2? Because every time I see another trash drop in my inventory I die a bit.

Also I'm gonna complain about that Dancer of Boreal boss now. Not because it was hard, but mostly due to the camera. Special callout to getting shoved into the fight immediately after winning another boss fight, and when I boned-out I'm left wondering where the gently caress that arena was, exactly? Basically took a loving sightseeing tour around all cathedral environments until I saw a mist door.

I eventually settled on the Holy Sword of Woljnir, it staggers knights well enough and has good range. And I have poise now, yay! But these 40 points of faith are brining nothing to the table, it's a goddamn tragedy; I cheated and looked at the wiki, and it tells me all my utility spells don't scale with faith, and nuking dudes with lightning is somehow still terribly inefficient.

Very bitter moments in my currently playthrough.

Are you upgrading your catalyst as well? Also the angry black snake things are super weak to fire.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I'm actually gonna shelve the game. For a week at least, probably permanently.

To respond to a few comments:
-Yes I've been upgrading my chime, I think I just smeared my stats all over and am bad at everything.
-Vs the black goo snakes, that fight was probably harder and took more tries than some boss fights (although shorter), even after tagging it with firebombs. Laughed when I saw there where like 3 more in the area.
-Sunbro covenant not terribly relevant as I'm playing offline? Also the total lack of NPC interactions is puzzling. I know probably most of the friendly ones have broken quests and/or I've missed them in the wilderness (like I've yet to see a pyro nor magic tutor), but even the lack of NPC invasions is dire. I looked it up, turns out there's only like six invasions, most of which disable if you killed the local boss. Pretty pitiful after ds2.

My epiphany kinda hit when I realized that despite having like four different paths open to me (Andariel DLC: crow assassins in their village, huge viking warriors, Lothric city black goo snakes, and the dragon-bridge area), I honestly cbf working on any of them. Especially that dragon one, which isn't challenging or anything, but when I saw it breathe fire again after I'd looped to the side I just gave a big sigh and was like "get a new idea, please". Like seriously, this game's really not been speaking to me. And it's not as if I'm burnt out on Fromsoft games or anything! I just did Sekiro after ds2, and loved every dang minute of it!

It just feels like... I'm rehashing boring ground here. I've got two new shiny games waiting for me, gonna play those instead.

Thank you for the help thread, just my 2c from a guy running through the Fromsoft games in recent years. Might give Elden Ring a go whenever I upgrade my PC. Cheers!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The goo snakes are just flatout a bad, dumb enemy. The one comin' out of Gundyr is tolerable because it's not just a flailing mess that fills the entire screen with damage, the rest are rear end. People say to use fire but fail to realize that fire damage makes them freak out for a couple of seconds, then they gain a couple of seconds of immunity to it, at which point you die. One of the very first ones you can encounter on the High Wall has firebombs right in front of it as a hint, yet it's possible to fail to kill it with those firebombs because they're not actually enough. The ones in the Consumed King's Garden might as well be a joke and you're better off running past them.

The pyro is in Undead Settlement and the magic dude is hiding out in one of the swamps. I know for a fact the latter fucks off entirely if you fail to talk to him and give him 2 magic scrolls before beating Abyss Watchers.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

My FTH run was maybe my least favorite build. The good offensive miracles come late in the game or are hidden behind a covenant.

Most fun part was ripping Namesless king to shreds with sunlight spears in the first phase, and dorhy’s gnawing in the second.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Having to wait for the elevator and go down a ladder every time you die to Midir is such a kick in the dick. Really appreciate such a thoughtful detail.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i take pride in never once missing the roll or falling down the ladder

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I just beat Dark Souls Remastered last night! Having fun, so I am just jumping into Dark Souls 2.

I am thinking of doing a straight up caveman build. So just focus on VGR/END/VIT/STR? What would be good caps for them?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you're doing ds2, you'll want to level adapatability some to make your rolls better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Waffleopolis posted:

I just beat Dark Souls Remastered last night! Having fun, so I am just jumping into Dark Souls 2.

I am thinking of doing a straight up caveman build. So just focus on VGR/END/VIT/STR? What would be good caps for them?

Having JUST DONE THIS last year, I will warn you: DS2 is much, much longer than its predecessor, doubly so with the DLC stuff. Beware of burnout.
Also of note is that Poise gets weird and fucky, you might get your big hammer swings interrupted a lot. Everyone always remembers to nag about the adaptability stat (need to raise it to get more iframes on your roll, your roll sucks at game start regardless of carry weight), but adaptability still comes a distant second to cranking HP, as several early game enemies can cheerfully combo your entire hp bar otherwise.

Soft caps are still 40 for most normal stats iirc.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spaceblancmange posted:

i take pride in never once missing the roll or falling down the ladder

Almost happened to me once because there were so many blood stains on top of the ladder I played someone's death instead of hitting descend.

Finally beat Midir, and it might have been the most satisfying boss fight in the entire game once you figure it out. Definitely the one that gave me the toughest time besides Nameless King. The Princes and Lord of Cinder were a breeze after that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

The Stone ring is available pretty early, and it is great for improving poisebreaking. The enemies in DS2 are harder to pancake than in DS1.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Waffleopolis posted:

There's a ring you can get pretty early on that prevents loss of half your hp when you die. It's pretty essential. Forgot what it's called

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ring of Binding!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Archthrones demo on Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNkNJ_sz98

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

giZm posted:

Archthrones demo on Friday

A fan mod, I take it? Just rebuilding areas using the assets at hand?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/Archthrones
https://www.instagram.com/archthrones/
A prequel mod for Dark Souls 3, offering an overhaul for progression, maps, enemies, bosses, fully voiced NPCs with new storylines and more.
A brand new story set before the events of Dark Souls III.
This mod offers an overhaul for level progression with new bosses, NPCs and a good deal of secrets.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The title is a DeS reference in the DeS font -- is there any relevance to that? I can't figure out what it is from skimming Twitter and Patreon posts

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

"An alternate story unfolds across five unique worlds, each accessed via the Nexus of Embers. "
Same hub/worlds system as in DeS, hence the font.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So after a week's hiatus, I came back to my failed faith build after reading a bunch of spoilers on the wiki, found the respecc lady and went into full caveman bonk. Game instantly became substantially easier and more enjoyable (thank you whoever suggested that!), and have made a lot of progress since. Will write a lot of words about it later, but I will say that the later bits of DS3 really seem to have gotten their own flavour - I just finished the grand archives and its surprise cherubs, belly of laughs all the way through that level.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Demo Launch Trailer - Dark Souls: Archthrones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzzI0EPjYy0
In ~30 minutes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
see i don't normally have much interest in mods, let alone total conversions, but "we made our own dark souls but our fashion actually includes the color green for once" is a very strong pitch

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

giZm posted:

Demo Launch Trailer - Dark Souls: Archthrones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzzI0EPjYy0
In ~30 minutes.

Love being on the level where you can pick out every animation they've ripped from another game. Shout out to Frost Radagon at the end especially

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ok so this is really well done.

quote:

1. Ensure you have a freshly installed copy of Dark Souls III with both DLCs
1a. You can go into the properties of the game on Steam to validate
日本語でプレイする場合は日本語用の.exeファイルも使用できます。

2.Copy the contents of this zip into the "Game" folder, this is the folder the DarkSoulsIII.exe can be found.

3.Set the Game language to English in the Steam properties of Dark Souls III.
3a.More languages will be added as time goes on.

4.Enjoy. The dll will download the gamefiles from our download server so long as its not overloaded. If the server is unavailable you can manually download the files from NexusMods
Demo is 11gb, download was quick, apparently there is also coop.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

giZm posted:

Ok so this is really well done.

Demo is 11gb, download was quick, apparently there is also coop.

So is this a "just the first couple areas" demo, a "we need more testing" demo, or a "there's no good reason to call this a demo" demo?

I'm definitely interested but I've also got enough other games to play to wait for a full release pretty easily.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's all the areas - this is a huge demo.

They need a balance patch tho and one of the devs on reddit said they are actively working on it. It's all open but there's clearly a "you must go here and not get stomped path" as the other areas will wreck you. It looks gorgeous and one of the areas will blow you away once you step out the tunnel. But holy hell is every enemy spongy as gently caress along with giving next to no souls. You beat the poo poo out of some high level mob and only get 100 souls. It has a lot of promise though and hey, it's free but I hope they fix the early game up fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every boss just being a mix of bosses from other games is a pretty big downer too imo. I was flicking through a stream of them and one guy was just Radagon in the first phase and then just Artorias in the second, cool