Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Considering how bad she is, I'd say she deserves a permanent spot in the roster. In fact make her the new lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah that is a unit I would use out of sheer spite.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Agreed. We need to see how bad she can get, or if she can turn it around at the eleventh hour.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

Agreed. We need to see how bad she can get, or if she can turn it around at the eleventh hour.

Frankly, at this point she would need to start getting non-stop perfect levelups to turn this around.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
She just needs a dozen or so stat boosters, no biggie!

Malah
May 18, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Shanna wants out of this army so bad.
If she won't give us what we want, then why should we give her what she wants? :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah that is a unit I would use out of sheer spite.
It'll be fun to find combat she can survive without being put in the ground. Running jokes into the ground is a proud goon tradition, after all!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shanna levels will continue until morale improves

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The thing about GBA Pegasus Knights is that even the worst GBA Pegasus Knight is still a GBA Pegasus Knight and if nothing else they can ferry people and items.

That said, Shanna is shaping up to be worse than Juno and that is quite a high bar to reach

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The thing about GBA Pegasus Knights is that even the worst GBA Pegasus Knight is still a GBA Pegasus Knight and if nothing else they can ferry people and items.

That said, Shanna is shaping up to be worse than Juno and that is quite a high bar to reach
she would have to get like 8 literally dead levels after promotion to be genuinely worse than juno

Which i suppose is not impossible

Honestly even then i'm not sure she'd actually be worse rather than different

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This is also very true. For as much as I've been dunking on Shanna (and considering the examples I have to work with, can you blame me?), if I were making a more or less objective tier list for Project Ember I'd still have to rank her fairly high thanks to having a monopoly on flying for ~10 chapters.

(It should surprise nobody to learn that PE Juno is drastically improved and would blow our Shanna out of the water if we were recruiting her.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Nihilarian posted:

she would have to get like 8 literally dead levels after promotion to be genuinely worse than juno

Which i suppose is not impossible

Honestly even then i'm not sure she'd actually be worse rather than different

Shanna heard you, and is now determined to lose stats upon levelling up

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I had this Eliwood when I replayed Blazing Blade at the beginning of the pandemic:

That's -11 on his averages after 10 levels.

I stand corrected. And on your Lord of all units is just a major oof.

Funnily example of an overachieving unit I had was Virion on my first run of Awakening (my first FE run ever I think). Towards the end of the game I started looking up stuff and was confused on why everyone was bashing him so much, considering I had him on my team for flyer sniping for most of the game. Turns out he had like 5 or 6 points over his strength average and 4 or 5 over his normal speed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have literally never had a good virion

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nihilarian posted:

I have literally never had a good virion

I had one that nailed all of his averages.

I hope that loser enjoyed being benched for all his levels.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Aaand we're back! I'm writing these words a full two months after playing the chapter, so today's going to be another fun game of "how well do I remember what my plans were?"

Promotion items! Elffin's holding onto that hero crest for... Rutger, I guess? While Sophia, Zeiss, and Shanna all have their own. Shanna also has that angelic robe still, in case I'm feeling extra generous.

As does Lilina, since I forgot last time. And Sin is our designated keymaster.

So yeah, let's get into it! Here's our two groups; everyone should be easy to tell apart except for the generals. IIRC Bors and Debias are on the left, while Douglas, Gwendolyn, and Barthe are on the right.

The first thing we're going to do is move all five of them forward to form a wall between that starting pack of nomads and the rest of our units.

The trooper complicates this slightly with his armorslayer, but I did a lot of math, and our right side generals should all survive as long as they have lances equipped. This isn't completely foolproof; Debias could still theoretically die if multiple nomads score crits on him, but he and Bors both have bows equipped to hopefully discourage them from coming that direction.

The strat also isn't 100% consistent between attempts, since it relies on one of the unpromoted nomads rolling low enough on speed to not double Douglas, but luckily for us that doesn't end up mattering.

That leaves most of the rest of the team to deal with these other nomads off to the sides. Originally I wanted to keep Wolt towards the center, which is why Zeiss is even attacking here instead of promoting first. Wolt could have just deleted this guy on his own, of course...

...but that wouldn't have set up the kill for Rutger. Note that he's still facing crit rates from basically everything, so we'll have to be very cautious with him.

This is totally unnecessary, but just for fun, here's a glimpse of Fir's crit rate with the wo dao.

Turns out she didn't even need it. :v:

Some good news for both Shanna and my sanity: these side nomads are ever so slightly weaker than the rest of the enemies, enough so that she can actually double some of them. Looks like we'll be putting off her promotion a little bit longer.

Sin finishing off the last one was never in doubt, but if for some reason he hadn't, Trec was also available to help out.

Making sure I remember this right away.

This too! :toot:

I think someone in the thread was wondering about female druid's speed cap? Wonder no longer, it is in fact higher than Raigh's, likely either 26 or 27 based on the length of the line. More notable, however, is that much like Lilina's unique class, the promotion comes with an instant B rank in staves. Is it enough to make Sophia worth using if you're not going out of your way to train her just because? Ehhh, probably not, but it's something at least.

Time for enemy phase.

All of these wyverns aggro immediately.

As does Eclipse Guy. Spoilers, he does not hit this one percent.

One nomad goes for Douglas...

...and the other two attack Elffin and Roy. Which is fine, I positioned them fully prepared for this possibility.

Hah, coward! I know you have an armorslayer! ...Actually, now that I think about it, the other nomads might have blocked Douglas off? Even still though, there's definitely at least one general you can reach from melee, so again I say: coward!

With turn 2 comes a sneak peek of two characters we won't be recruiting on this map.

: ......

: Any army would want control of it. If you'll excuse me...

: H-hey, wait, where are you going?

: I'm going to observe the fight. Let us see how good this Roy is.

: You mean now? But...

: Don't you worry about me. I'll be fine.

: What? Stop! Don't leave me alone!

...That's all I've really got to say, it's not that interesting of a scene otherwise. :shrug:

Kicking off the turn, our girl has come a long way. Remember when she was struggling to reach 80 hit with flux?

Barthe's hit rates, however, are still the same as ever. :v: He connects this time, though!

I... might have overestimated how much firepower it would take to clear these guys out. Maybe sending Wolt to the right was the correct decision after all?

S rank staves, for whatever that's worth.

Meanwhile, Elffin teams up with Sophia to heal... Elffin???

With that taken care of, it's time to start dealing with these wyverns. Luckily, both groups have arranged themselves with enough range gaps that we're able to lure just a couple for now.

Bors and Rutger are our designated punching bags. We're still early enough that I'm fine just resetting if Rutger eats a crit, and he's got a wyrmslayer equipped for big counter damage.

Promotion number two! Zeiss's gains are fairly tame, but he does get C axes right off the bat.

Other than that, it's just a matter of moving everyone forward to end the turn.

Rutger does... fine. A dodge would have been nice, and he's tragically a few points short of OHKOing, but he's alive.

Bors fares decidedly better.

Eclipse Guy exhibits some extremely poor decision making, and that's the turn.

...Except for this rear end in a top hat. No, I didn't bring a restore staff, why do you ask? Honestly though, waiting it out isn't a big deal, and he's going to have a much harder time hitting Lilina.

Here's the state of things. Killing all the wyverns shouldn't be an issue, but the real question is: can we somehow feed one of those kills to Shanna?

Surprisingly, yes! Bors with the steel bow leaves the wyverns with just a sliver of HP left. ...I think we can do better, though. Wasting two wing spear uses on this feels bad, but it's the only thing in Shanna's inventory that gets the job done.

Obviously we'll just have to put something else in her inventory, then.

I was only going to give her the steel lance at first, but then I remembered it might weigh her down enough that she gets doubled and killed if she misses.

A concern that turns out to be well founded. Killer lance it is, then.

Thread readers already knew this was coming, but it still stings. :negative:

Hell yeah, attacking at triangle disadvantage to fish for crits!

A chance I was only willing to take because I knew Lilina could pick up the slack if it failed. Heck, I wanna say she even had a clean one shot with aircalibur, in case Trec whiffed completely.

Hell yeah, attacking at triangle disadvantage to fish for crits because you don't need all that overkill effective damage. Luckily the only punishment Rutger receives is this awful level.

Killing the rest of the wyverns is pretty trivial. We don't even need Roy to help out!

Which is great, because it frees up his turn to summon our reinforcements. We could have done this right away, but I (correctly) concluded that we didn't really need their help for the outside enemies, and I'd rather have them in pristine condition when we storm the city proper.

The generics still aren't anything to write home about, though there are a few more of them this time around.

Roach, on the other hand, has received a free promotion between chapters! ...Apologies to any halberdier fans in the audience, those aren't a thing in Project Ember.

As you might expect, going from soldier bases to general bases has drastically improved Roach's performance, to the point that he's basically just as good as our blue generals. Also he has capped con, which is very funny. Plus it gives Shanna a semi-unique niche, since she's the only non-Merlinus character that can pick him up. (Technically unpromoted Thea, Sue, and Clarine can also do it, but we don't have those anymore.)

Oh yeah, I deliberately placed Trec to lure over this archer from inside the walls. Figure we might as well get a bit of a head start, you know?

It is, of course, the only enemy phase action other than these two idiots continuing to do their thing.

And with nobody to attack, the green units just stay put. Let's see if we can change that.

First we'll have Sin trade the door key over to Lilina before killing the archer.

Then Lilina passes it on to Roy and heals Trec.

And then Roy- wait, what? ...Hold on a sec, I'll be right back.

...The door opens via a turn event? poo poo, it really has been a long time since I've played Sacae route. Well, uh, apparently we're waiting around until turn... 9, I think? I guess we could go break one of those 100 HP walls if we really wanted to, but turn 9 is about how long it would take us to get our whole army up to one of the corners anyway. :effort:

So let's just move everybody towards the gate, fix inventories, do some more healing, maybe even get a bit of support grinding in...

Lilina, for her part, is preparing us for the kind of levels we can expect from her from now on.

Oh, and Douglas lured some more bows over.

The good news is, Sophia's silence will have worn off by the time we're allowed to advance.

Surely we have to get a good level eventually, right? :sigh:

I believe that was the last bow user in range, so now we really are just waiting around. Here, have a support to pass the time.

: O-oh! Hello, Gwendolyn. What a... uh... coincidence!

: It is good to see you well. Do you need something, Brother?

: No... I don't. I was just walking around and I ran into you. Yes.

: OK...

: Are you hurt? Your armor isn't too heavy?

: No, I am fine, Brother. I must be off, though...

: Leaving already? You could rest a bit longer...

: Thank you for your consideration, but this is a battle.

: Y-yes, of course... Take care.

All that's left is Barthe/Debias, and we'll have a full support square of the Ostian armor knights. :toot:

As the next turn starts, we briefly cut away to Kel.

: Yes, sir.

And indeed, reinforcements do start showing up. They seem pretty whatever though, I'll probably just deal with them offscreen.

...OK, maybe not. So to catch you up, I've sent Shanna and Sin down to pick them off, a decision that I might be starting to regret. All of the green units are still alive, but that fighter next to the nomad is only hanging on by a thread.

Our biggest concern is that one of the newest arrivals has a brave bow. That said, if all else fails, we could just let Roach solo everything. Seems kinda boring though.

You know what's not boring? Feeding Shanna more kills! With some clever maneuvering, she can get in and back out again, ready to do the same thing next turn. Presumably I did some math here and determined Elffin would be fine, but don't ask me the details. I know some of these nomads only have shortbows, so my best guess is that the far right nomad is one of those. That puts Elffin in range of only one enemy, which... yeah, he can probably survive that.

As for the wyverns... uh, we're just gonna ignore them for now. Those two fighters next to them are probably hosed no matter what, so we might as well let them fight it out and clean up whatever's left. (Also silence wore off.)

Yeah, this guy got lucky once, but if he's getting one rounded and not even two rounding in return, there's not much hope for him or his friend.

Case in point.

Riveting stuff, really.

On the other side, that one fighter unsurprisingly eats it, and the merc next to him tragically gets exact damaged to death.

Also, two of the nomads head to the far left for some reason? There might be another green unit up there.

Yeah, that must be it, there's nowhere else this second fighter could have come from.

Like I said, Roach is in no real danger here, even if he also isn't contributing. :argh:

No nomads next turn, but there is one more wyvern, with a brave lance to boot.

Another turn, another Shanna hit and run.

And... yep, these ranges work out. With any luck, one or two of these jerks will end up breaking themselves on Roach.

Still ignoring the wyverns, but we are gonna start preparing for when the gates eventually open. Specifically, the eclipse and silence assholes will be able to reach the two spaces directly below the gates once that happens.

Thus, it only makes sense to place our own magic users there to meet them. I think we're all caught up on healing at this point, incidentally.

One kill for the green team over here sounds about right. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Yeah, they're done.

The last fighter goes down too, leaving just Roach and a single merc.

Said merc then goes and takes a bunch of damage for no reason, since Roach could have just killed this guy by himself.

And there's the gates. We'll come back to that in a moment, but we still have unfinished business down here.

This hit rate was admittedly a little shaky, but we have some more wiggle room now to just have Sin rescue her without also needing to retreat.

Skill issue.

Honestly, with what we've been getting so far? I'll take it.

This too.

And with that, this section of the map is once again free of enemies.

The question now is, how much manpower can we devote to the wyverns without leaving the main force shorthanded?

Let's go with... Trec, Rutger, and Zeiss. Rutger won't be much help inside the city anyway, and the other two can move between the fronts quickly if needed. Trec can even get some chip in on enemy phase as the wyverns approach.

Turning our gaze inside the city, everything is going as pla- hold on.

poo poo, I forgot about this guy. He actually can't double Lilina, though, and he certainly can't crit her, so gently caress it, we press on.

With everyone as bunched up as they can be, let the games begin.

So uh, basically the entire city is aggroing. Which doesn't matter much now, but the next few turns are going to be fun.

First though: wyverns. Trec is fine, of course, but he still doesn't crit. :sigh:

The one annoying thing about this myrm is that Lilina is only a single point away from killing him outright... and with a stronger tome, she would have. Even if we'd brought one though, there's no guarantee I would have thought to equip it, since we'd be sacrificing triangle advantage against the shaman. Of course, now the shaman doesn't get to attack at all, so.

Meanwhile, Sophia may not be as good at nosferatu tanking as Raigh, but if the opportunity presents itself, we might as well take advantage.

Yeah, uh, that's a lot of guys.

This just makes it extra annoying, though I guess even if Lilina had killed the myrm, there'd still be the other sage for him to heal.

Hey, remember how I said I wanted the green units in tip top shape for the enemies inside the city? Yeah, me neither.

: Yes, sir.

Oh, good. More enemies. We definitely didn't have enough yet.

Alright, so obviously Lilina and Sophia will not be continuing to hold the line. Instead we will be rotating our generals in and out for that purpose.

We'll get to that in a second, but first, some cleanup.

For those keeping score, this is now five killer axe hits in a row that have not crit. :sigh:

It's actually kind of obnoxious, because now we need to organize an extraction for Rutger.

That's likely going to end up being a job for Barthe. He's the only one who's both in range and tanky enough to take a brave lance to the face.

I want to make sure everything else is in order first, though. Of our remaining generals, Gwendolyn and Douglas are the best overall tanks, and there's enough magical enemies waiting in the wings that this would be true even if Barthe wasn't otherwise occupied.

That said, Douglas's magical bulk could still stand to be better. Elffin was holding on to this barrier specifically for Kel, but there's no reason we can't break it out early.

With Bors making space, Sophia can grab it in turn from Debias and deliver it to its intended target.

There is, however, one enemy who poses even more of a threat than the mages. ...Correction, was.

Here's how our setup shakes out. I haven't run detailed numbers, so I'm just kind of trusting Douglas and Gwendolyn to stay alive. Also, there was maybe a more efficient way of doing things that would have let us advance a little further in, but iirc it would have required complete confidence in somebody critting the swordmaster, whereas the plan I went with had contingencies in place if it didn't work out.

Before the onslaught begins, that last wyvern gets to pick his poison.

The real show kicks off with another swordmaster, but without an armorslayer he's no real threat.

And Douglas actually doubles this archer outright, no crits required.

Gwendolyn's first opponent is this unpromoted mage. :geno:

All that's left after that is nomads. I'm not gonna bother showing all of them, just know that Douglas didn't kill any of his, while Gwendolyn killed all but one of hers.

Roach is still gradually making his way forward. One more turn and he might get to see some action.

And true to Kel's word, enemies have started emerging from houses inside the city. There's, uh, a lot of them, and they keep coming for quite a while. However, they're only unpromoted myrmidons, and I'm pretty sure it's the same houses every time. For now they're too intermingled with the rest of the enemies to cleanly cut out, but eventually we'll reach a point where we're just killing them all as soon as they show up, and when that happens I will be relegating them to the offscreen dimension.

The outside reinforcements have also started up again, for whatever that's worth. They'll be getting shunted offscreen later too, but I do want to keep track of this particular pair for uh, reasons.

Back to the main event. Ideally I'd like to break through the logjam entirely this turn, but if that doesn't happen our priority targets are going to be the two remaining magic users and this specific nomad trooper, who's got another armorslayer. Once they're dealt with, our generals will more or less have free run of the place.

Two of those goals are easily accomplished.

The last one, however, will require a bit more effort. First let's start undoing the beating our vanguard took last turn.

Some timely crits carve a pathway for us, and I'm fairly confident now that we'll be able to clear out the rest of the nomads too.

Enough so that I'm willing to send these two forward into the danger zone.

Bors gets rid of the last enemy in the way, and- jeez Gwendolyn, calm down, he was already dead. :stare:

Some quick inventory shuffling to let the two of them counter on enemy phase. I'm assuming one or more of the myrms had lancereavers, hence the swords.

I consider setting Douglas up to do likewise, but ehhh, that's kind of a waste of runesword uses. (He also gets an unnecessary crit, incidentally.)

With all said and done, here's where we stand. There's a few more bow users up by Kel that didn't aggro with the rest, but otherwise we're in the clear. All that's left is the myrms, plus a single mage in each corner.

The only real surprise on enemy phase is Bors critting one of the myrms to death. Ironically, if I'd kept Gwendolyn's lance on she'd have killed hers too, assuming they all would've stuck to the same targets.

Look, I swear Roach is good now you guys. It's not my fault the RNG keeps screwing him over!

The next turn brings with it more wyverns, but we don't really care about them.

No, we care about these nomads, remember?

And this is why. God loving dammit Shanna, I set up all these kills for you, and this is how you repay me? There's nobody else nearby, so I guess she's just hosed now unless she dodges.

Or is she? It takes full movement from both of them, but Elffin and Zeiss are able to come in clutch to save the day. :sweatdrop:

Next order of business: there's a sniper up here with a killer bow, so we're gonna want to give him someone with high defense to plink against.

Fortunately we have no shortage of options on that front. Let's just clear out the rest of these scrubs, and...

Voila! Something tells me Gwendolyn's going to do a bit more damage with her killer bow than he will with his. Call it a hunch.

Bors and Lilina team up against the last myrmidon in our immediate vicinity, while Douglas sets up to lure the unpromoted archer.

There's also some movement down here to prepare for the wyverns, but otherwise that's the turn.

Flipping the script from back when they were teamed up at the gates, Douglas crits and kills the archer, while Gwendolyn leaves the sniper alive.

...As does Roach. Look, at least he's not stealing our experience this way, right? Right?

Speaking of experience, those were pretty much the last non-Kel enemies that mattered, so most of the rest of the update is just going to be a marathon of level ups (and visiting houses).

Rutger kicks things off with yet another mediocre level, but Bors gets an excellent one finishing off the sniper.

House interlude the first! We'll be hitting up everything in the middle of town in one fell swoop.

: I used to sell them, but I had to close my shop because of the war. Here, take it. No charge... No one will buy it anyway.

:toot:

: I bet I can sell this thing...

: No, I didn't steal this! See ya!

:toot: :toot:

: ...I used to con people by saying that. I can't do business with this war, though. Here, take one. It won't really bring you any luck, though.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Weird theme there of people handing us stat boosters without really knowing what they've got.

On the next enemy phase, Trec finally lands a killer axe crit... which apparently ate up all his luck for the day. poo poo, dude, are you okay?

Now this is more like it. Speed on Barthe? Sure, why not!

House interlude the second.

: But now that they've taken over the city, they won't pay! Here, take this wyrmslayer. Just do something about them. I've been hiding it from them... I think you can guess why...

Nice! Gwendolyn's all alone up here by the way, she can easily solo all of these myrms.

So apparently the rule is that only generals are allowed to get good levels? Seriously, look at this poo poo.

Another turn later, and Lilina is finally in position to take on Kel.

Let's see. 37 resistance versus...

...37 attack. Yeah, she's completely invincible right now.

Just for fun, let's first look at the numbers if she were to attack him from melee. Obviously this would be a horrible idea, but it's worth noting that thanks to her sky high luck stat, Lilina is actually taking a pretty decent chunk out of Kel's beefy crit rate. It's for this reason that I think she and Elen are pretty definitively the best choices for this strat, even if you have other characters who can technically make it work. Remember, they only have two range, while Kel has three, which means you can't have another staffer on standby next to them without also putting that staffer in the line of fire. Thus, the longer you can go without having to heal your resistance tank or reapply barrier, the better.

: Behold my blade... as I swing it for the last time.

It also doesn't hurt that anima and light magic both have high inherent accuracy, giving them at least passable hit rates against him. Lilina ends up with a slight edge here, because Elen's skill is actually pretty bad.

Side note: Roach has also wandered his way over to Kel. (If you look closely you can see him in the corner of a couple screenshots.) He was actually up here last turn too, but there was a convenient myrmidon for him to shoot from over the wall. That won't be an option this time though, so... yeah, I maybe spoke too soon when I said he was completely safe. There is in fact one specific enemy who can gently caress him up. :v:

That last green generic is still kicking, too; it will be very funny if he manages to outlast Roach. Also, another terrible Shanna level for the pile.

House interlude final.

: Here, take one. Use it to drive Bern's soldiers out of here!

Project Ember's changes have retroactively made this one a bit silly. Nomads can't even use longbows!

Enemy phase begins, and Kel heals off a bit of Lilina's chip damage.

Only to foolishly subject himself to another round. Lilina's even got a few more points of accuracy now that he's weighing himself down! If she can land a third attack in a row next turn, we'll have completed this duel with a bare minimum of frustration.

...Or Roach could just kill him I guess.

Never mind, lol. :v: And Kel doesn't even need a crit to burn through his HP, so yeah, his goose is cooked. Honestly, I'm actually kind of happy with this result. After how much I talked Kel up, it'd be a shame not to show off how lethal he can be if you're not cheesing him.

Alright, place your bets! If she misses, Kel heals enough on enemy phase that it takes two more hits to kill him instead of just one, and more misses after that means the fight lasts long enough that Lilina maybe possibly needs to get healed eventually.

If you bet on "Lilina would never let us down like that," congratulations! You win nothing.

Just like Lilina! To be fair, this one was expected.

Now we're really in cleanup mode. Once we're done with these reinforcements, we can leave. And this is the last myrmidon! All that's left after him are the enemies outside.

Okay, like, technically this is a bad level, but Debias getting luck is actually kind of a big deal.

Armory and vendor inventories, for posterity's sake. I think we're good though, tbh? I'd rather save our money for the secret shop.

Home stretch now. Have a few more miscellaneous levels.

Generic merc tragically bites it at the last second. :(

Don't mind me, just going to extreme lengths to avoid spending a wing spear use.

Clearly it was the correct decision, because holy poo poo, Shanna actually got a real stat!!! So proud of her. At this point we might as well just let her get all the way to 20, she's already so close.

And then Zeiss finishes by rudely stealing the kill I was setting up for Rutger. At least he still gets a level out of it. Luck's pretty rare for him too, so you know what? I'll take it.

Alright, let's get the hell out of here.

: Wh-who are you!?

: You may not enter. Lord Roy is very busy.

: What's going on?

: She was very insistent about seeing you. But I know you are busy so I've been trying to stop her.

Huh, generic soldier kind of has a point. Like, presumably this conversation is happening in the front hall of the mansion we just seized. You know, the one that's currently still occupied by the enemy? Surely there must be a better time for this.

: Just hear me out first. I think I have some information you might want to hear.

: ...And what would that be?

: It is about the dragons who are in human form.

: ...I wish to speak with her in private. Will you leave us, please?

: Yes, milord.

Regardless, I hope you're ready for another lore dump!

: The dragons you speak of... They're not like the wyverns that Bern's soldiers ride upon. They're strange troops that fight alongside Bern's soldiers...

: I know that well. They're the same dragons that were defeated in the Scouring.

: ...Who are you, exactly?

: I am Niime. I live in the mountains where I study arcane magic. Some call me Niime the Hermit. At first I thought this was only a simple act of aggression by Bern. But then I began to sense a strange and... evil force among their troops. I decided to investigate.

: Did you learn anything?

: The dragons are very much shrouded in mystery. I looked through many ancient books and scrolls. I could only decipher so many of them. But...

: But...?

: I have come to the conclusion that Bern has resurrected the demon dragon.

I want to call extra attention to this next section, because there are later changes Project Ember makes that present some interesting implications regarding Idunn's abilities.

: The demon dragon... The leader of the dragons that Hartmut defeated.

: The very same. Dragons are a much more advanced species than us humans. Their vitality and intellect puts that of humans to shame. There is one thing, however, the dragons lack in. They multiply at a fraction of the rate humans do. But the demon dragon... It had the power to create more dragons. That is what I learned from my research.

: It can make dragons...?

: The demon dragon can create more of its kind. That would explain where Bern is getting all of its dragons.

: That seems likely.

I'll have more to say about this when we get to endgame, but for now just put a pin in it.

: Now, that being said... I wish to learn more about the dragons. I wield dark magic... Let me join your army. I'm sure I can be of some assistance.

: We want to learn about the dragons as well. It will be a perilous journey, but if that's acceptable to you, you're welcome to join us.

Grandma acquired. :toot:

Next time: New recruits! Wow! It's been two whole chapters since the last one!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Welcome back! I had forgotten just exactly how bad Shanna was and how good all the generals were, so this was quite a pleasant surprise.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The fact that Shanna is still getting used is a tribute to how dedicated this thread has been to making you suffer; and your dedication to doing your damnedest to get some use out of even the screwed-est of characters.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

BlazetheInferno posted:

The fact that Shanna is still getting used is a tribute to how dedicated this thread has been to making you suffer; and your dedication to doing your damnedest to get some use out of even the screwed-est of characters.

It's also solid proof that, at least in the GBA games, the worst Pegasus Knight in the world is still handy to have

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Of all the LP curse units I've ever seen, this Shanna takes the cake.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I'm pretty sure that random 3-stat level may be the best level Shanna has gotten this entire LP. It's gotta be, like, top 3.

She's so bad!:allears:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I think our mocking of Shanna's levels made it spread to everyone else.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maigius posted:

I think our mocking of Shanna's levels made it spread to everyone else.

Thread loves the generals, so this checks out. It's obvious they'd be immune.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For the record: Shanna is perfectly on her Strength average from the base game, and other than her -5 luck she's not too far off her averages elsewhere. She's down 2 points of skill and 1 point of def and res each, and she has +3 hp

EDIT: I don't remember if she got an angelic robe though

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nihilarian posted:

For the record: Shanna is perfectly on her Strength average from the base game, and other than her -5 luck she's not too far off her averages elsewhere. She's down 2 points of skill and 1 point of def and res each, and she has +3 hp

EDIT: I don't remember if she got an angelic robe though

From the base game maybe, but she's HORRIBLY behind on nearly everything for her Project Ember averages.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps she can turn it around once she promotes!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps she can turn it around once she promotes!

If you're still thinking that this late in the game, you clearly haven't been paying attention. :v:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
And here I was hoping Shanna would draw RNGsus’s ire from everyone else. Suck the suck away, as it were.

You gotta respect a knight who’s terrible at everything yet keeps halfway maybe being useful sometimes :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Shanna mad dodging those up arrows on her levels. They're dangerous, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

There's just something something beautiful about seeing all these generals ignoring their massive defense stat to take potshots at enemies from outside the enemies' attack range.