Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Cops are transforming into a new privileged warrior elite caste, and are entitled to extract a living from their caste inferiors

Seattle council has been discussing providing subsidized housing for cops. e: you know this anyway sorry lol

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Seattle council has been discussing providing subsidized housing for cops. e: you know this anyway sorry lol

IIrc a little while ago we made it so "first responders" don't have to pay property taxes here or something stupid like that

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mawarannahr posted:

it's quite widespread apparently, although I've mostly seen pics of and witnessed in person the kind where it's like 2 bananas with Saran Wrap in a styrofoam tray of the kind they usually sell meat in.

grocery stores in south africa did that because they didn't have a scale at the cash register, so produce is all pre-weighed and fossil fuel wrapped. i opted for the cardboard box that had a bunch individual bananas lined up with cling wrap over the open front, but it still felt gross.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

So then they’d like…have to live in the same jurisdiction where they work? surely they’d get cash instead to live in white flight exurbs instead

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Proust Malone posted:

So then they’d like…have to live in the same jurisdiction where they work? surely they’d get cash instead to live in white flight exurbs instead

No.

They would just become land lords.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Great, I can't wait to get levied by my cop lord to fight in some bullshit war

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Great, I can't wait to get levied by my cop lord to fight in some bullshit war

lol, he’ll deputize you and then rent you out to walmart on black friday but at gun point only let you keep 10$.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s so clear the rich know shits tittering on the edge when you see what they’re doing with cops. Hyper militarization, thin blue line, us vs them your lives are more important than those you protect, laws that make sure they face no repercussions when killing someone as a cop, and now directly beholding them to those in power via housing when everyone else is being priced out onto the streets. Gotta make sure the class traitors know where to point their guns when poo poo hits the fan

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
well yeah

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s so clear the rich know shits tittering on the edge when you see what they’re doing with cops. Hyper militarization, thin blue line, us vs them your lives are more important than those you protect, laws that make sure they face no repercussions when killing someone as a cop, and now directly beholding them to those in power via housing when everyone else is being priced out onto the streets. Gotta make sure the class traitors know where to point their guns when poo poo hits the fan

The irony is that when poo poo hits the fan, the rich and powerful will be subjected to the brutality as much as the rest of us non-cop-gang members

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

500excf type r posted:

The irony is that when poo poo hits the fan, the rich and powerful will be subjected to the brutality as much as the rest of us non-cop-gang members

Shock collar burns are a lagging indicator.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I gotta say the article from a few years back where the person hired as a doomsday consultant for billionaires revealed said billionaires were kept awake worrying how to keep bunker security loyal put a smile on my face.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Owlbear Camus posted:

I gotta say the article from a few years back where the person hired as a doomsday consultant for billionaires revealed said billionaires were kept awake worrying how to keep bunker security loyal put a smile on my face.

do you know where that is? i bring this up all the time

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cash crab posted:

do you know where that is? i bring this up all the time

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/sep/04/super-rich-prepper-bunkers-apocalypse-survival-richest-rushkoff

quote:

The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed “in time”.

I tried to reason with them. I made pro-social arguments for partnership and solidarity as the best approaches to our collective, long-term challenges. The way to get your guards to exhibit loyalty in the future was to treat them like friends right now, I explained. Don’t just invest in ammo and electric fences, invest in people and relationships. They rolled their eyes at what must have sounded to them like hippy philosophy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

fantastic, thank you

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol at pro-social arguments just completely bouncing off these people who want to own slaves.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

save that crap for the disney flicks kid i gotta figure out how to connect shock collars to local wifi

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ArmedZombie posted:

lol at pro-social arguments just completely bouncing off these people who want to own slaves.

Grudging respect for the hustle of the ex-SOF psychos who are probably getting a six-figure annual retainer to wait for the pager to go off and summon them to the luxury Y2K bunker security detail, where they will strangle whatever tech dork paymaster pretends to hold their leash day 1 and become masters of the luxury Y2K bunker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They'll end up hiring cops, who will just kill them regardless of wheteher or not that means they'll be left without food lmao.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah that article was always super loving telling. Even the slightest amount of "we're in this together" attitude would probably be enough to keep people loyal considering as a side effect you're also saving your guards from the apocalypse and all, but they literally cannot fathom treating other people even close to equals so instead they're going to spend way more time and money thinking about how they can rig up the bomb collars so the guards can't just shoot them and take the bomb collar remote or whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they don’t think workers are people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Grudging respect for the hustle of the ex-SOF psychos who are probably getting a six-figure annual retainer to wait for the pager to go off and summon them to the luxury Y2K bunker security detail, where they will strangle whatever tech dork paymaster pretends to hold their leash day 1 and become masters of the luxury Y2K bunker.

I'm p sure these types are actually true believers in this poo poo and will follow their social betters to the bitter end

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wish death upon them too, OP

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Working Class Murderers vs Bourgeois Everyone Else

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

thread's getting pretty epic this morning

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

aw frig aw dang it posted:

thread's getting pretty epic this morning

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

ArmedZombie posted:

Pro-Social? What are you, some sort of communist??

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Entitled to superior housing at caste inferiors' expense
Entitled to take physical goods from caste inferiors at will
Absolute right to do violence on caste inferiors, including deadly violence, with some minimal justifications that are easy to gin up after the violence is done
Theoretical but not practical role in the social contract (their sustenance and privileges are iron-clad, their duty to the rest of society is entirely discretionary)

We're basically talking about Edo period samurai here

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

Absolute right to do violence on caste inferiors, including deadly violence, with some minimal justifications that are easy to gin up after the violence is done
Theoretical but not practical role in the social contract (their sustenance and privileges are iron-clad, their duty to the rest of society is entirely discretionary)

I really couldn’t tell if you were talking about the billionaires or the cops at first.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

careful now. it would be a very easy sell to get tons cops to run with this affectation, including a "tactical" tanto on their rig and a budk katana and wakazashi above the long gun rack in their cruisers.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is it considered a romantic fantasy when what you want is to be a feudal lord but don't understand the part where you have to at least pretend to provide some service to your serfs so they don't just murder you?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BonHair posted:

Is it considered a romantic fantasy when what you want is to be a feudal lord but don't understand the part where you have to at least pretend to provide some service to your serfs so they don't just murder you?

https://academic.oup.com/isq/article/61/2/352/3852628?login=false

quote:

In the case of Tokugawa Japan, we know that rulers did face these threats. Historical records indicate that peasants banded together and rebelled (in some form) 1,787 times across the domains between 1603 and 1868, when the regime collapsed. According to Aoki (1971), 497 of those instances specifically involved resistance to taxation. Peasants collectively fled 35 times to avoid complying with a tax, out of 161 total collective desertions.3 The structure of village life and collective taxation fostered collective action. But was it effective? Were rebellious and mobile villagers able to win tax concessions from their rulers? Or did rulers repress in these domains? In other words, do we observe lower tax rates where peasants proved able to engage in fight or flight? Furthermore, were larger scale rebellions more successful, or was frequency of resistance more effective? Our study finds that peasants who organized large-scale insurrections, and those who deserted their villages collectively, were indeed able to gain tax relief.

The only service that actually matters is how high the tax rate is relative to the serfs' willingness to put some aristocrats heads on spikes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

careful now. it would be a very easy sell to get tons cops to run with this affectation, including a "tactical" tanto on their rig and a budk katana and wakazashi above the long gun rack in their cruisers.

Watching cops accidentally stab themselves and each other would own though

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

shogun is a documentary?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ArmedZombie posted:

shogun is a documentary?

i mean

quote:

Kiri-sute gomen (斬捨御免 or 切捨御免) is a Japanese expression regarding the feudal era tradition of right to strike: the right of samurai to strike and even kill with their sword anyone of a lower class who compromised their honour.[1]

Because the right was defined as a part of self defence, kiri-sute gomen had a set of tight rules. The strike had to follow immediately after the offence, meaning that the striker could not attack someone for a past grievance or after a substantial amount of time. Also, due to the right being self-defence, it was not permissible to deliver a further coup de grâce if a blow had been successfully applied. Anyone who was at the receiving end had the right to defend themselves by wakizashi, a situation most common in the case of a higher samurai exercising the right against a lower ranked samurai as those would always carry wakizashi.[1]

In any case, the samurai performing the act had to prove that his action was right. After striking down his victim, the user was required to report the incident to a nearby government official, give his version of the facts and provide at least one witness who corroborated it, and he was expected to spend the next 20 days at home as a proof of contrition. The last one applied even after favorable verdict, although it is unclear whether it applied to the physical author of the death or his superior in case the kill was performed by proxy. Moreover, the homicidal weapon could be confiscated if an investigation was necessary or as a warning for a kill whose justification was feeble, and it was only given back after the 20 days.[1]

samurai even got administrative leave after killing people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

poemdexter posted:

I really couldn’t tell if you were talking about the billionaires or the cops at first.

Yes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

i mean

samurai even got administrative leave after killing people

Lmfao what the gently caress

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

You could at least theoretically defend yourself, so it's still a better deal than what we've got, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

poemdexter posted:

Also I wanted to come back to this. Cop power has, in the US at least, long been merely an arm of industrialist power, or industrialist power being made manifest in the form of guys with guns. And cops have been merely the cheapest way for the owning class to transform their economic power into the power of violence, by forcing the costs of maintaining a private dissent-crushing army on the public and propagandizing them relentlessly that it's for their own good; however, there are plenty of examples where the nominal public control of the cops was too much of an obstacle to the violence that needed to be done and the owning class simply hired mercenaries instead.

However, that's starting to change, and the character of the cops themselves is starting to change in relation to where their economic power is derived. Housing subsidies and outrageous pay scales may appear, on the face, to be simply further entrenchment of a bureaucratic interest at public expense, but I'd argue we're seeing something different play out, particularly due to the vehicle of asset forfeiture. In a world where cop budgets (and thus, cops in general) can be sustained by simply stealing poo poo en masse from ordinary people, the lever of budgetary control over the scope and power of cops exercised by the civil bureaucracy and by their billionaire industrialist allies wanes. For the moment, they still depend on the civil bureaucracy to maintain their privileges, and they still rely on the billionaire class to propagandize the masses for them, but those strings are fraying. Basically what I believe we're looking at right now is a relatively rapid transition away from cops as members of a bureaucratic state function and toward a new warrior elite whose economic base is, for lack of a better term, institutionalized banditry.