Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Bel Shazar posted:

Are they updating the purpose of the award to recognize people with problematic racial inclinations, because that would track.

Did you know Nazis are a marginalized group it's considered socially acceptable to make fun of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I was thinking of the 'lube man' from Watchmen, but prominent boobs or external genitalia would still be a slight problem.

This doesn't matter as much as you think since, at least in the case of breasts and hips, the level of competition in the professional sports tends to be self-selecting to optimal anatomy. For instance, female swimmers and track athletes tend to have physiques similar to their male counterparts, because having large breasts or wide hips produce drag compared to having slim figures that tend to prevent them from qualifying for professional meets. Also, more in the case of professional swimmers, there's more of a reliance on upper body strength in that sport, so female swimmers tend to get built-up chests, shoulders, and arms that make them appear more masculine. Lia Thomas' physique wasn't all that much different from other female swimmers. Maybe she was taller than her competition, but height obviously didn't matter as much, since she only won 5th place.

As for external genitalia, there's always protective cups, which can apply to both male and female genitalia.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

D-Pad posted:

I think he probably was but then he got hit in the head several thousand times by giant monsters out for blood. Personality changes aren't surprising.

when has getting hit in the brain constantly lead to an improved personality?

mike tyson?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

D-Pad posted:

I think he probably was but then he got hit in the head several thousand times by giant monsters out for blood. Personality changes aren't surprising.

this is also probably the root cause of the Boston Marathon bombing as it happens

the older brother was a pretty normal dude who became really impulsive / violent / abusive after repeated cranial trauma from boxing and well, you know the rest

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Automata 10 Pack posted:

mike tyson?

He smoked enough weed to bring himself all the way back around to harmless. Which is great for him however I would like Iron Mike to wake up when Jake Paul drops his hands in range during the second round.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel like if anyone can annoy Tyson into forgetting he's in an exhibition match it's Jake Paul

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

mike tyson?

Probably less repeated head trauma and more pharmacologic and therapeutic interventions.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think folks would appreciate some of the zingers here.
Remarks by President Biden at the Gridiron Club and Foundation Dinner (March 16, 2024) | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 posted:

Grand Hyatt Washington
Washington, D.C.

(March 16, 2024)

10:32 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, thank you, thank you. (Applause.) Thank you, thank you. I think I should sit down. (Laughter.)

Good evening.

AUDIENCE: Good evening.

THE PRESIDENT: It’s great to be here at the Gridiron dinner, though it’s six hours past my bedtime. (Laughter.)

What I love about the Gridiron are the opportunities for young people, like Dan Balz and Al Hunt. (Laughter.) But it was tough to see Mitch McConnell announce he’s stepping down as GOP leader. I hate to see a friend give up in his prime. (Laughter.)

Look, it’s been a long night. So, I’ll keep my remarks just a few minutes less than my State of the Union. (Laughter.) Kamala will stand up 83 times, because even the press has to admit: I crushed it. (Laughter and applause.) Granted, your expectations were so low, I just had to show up and remember who the president is. (Laughter.) That’s the press, always underestimating me.

But Kamala and I and the members of the administration here tonight are proud — proud of our accomplishments on behalf of the American people: record job growth, wages rising, rigging the Super Bowl for Taylor Swift. (Laughter.)

There have been some bright spots in the media. I heard Wordle website is actually doing news now. You get that? (Laughter.) The New York Ti- — anyway — (laughter).

We know not everyone is feeling the progress we’re making. We’re committed to helping the little guy. Ron DeSantis, though, won’t take our calls. (Laughter and applause.)

Our big plan to cancel student debt doesn’t apply to everyone. Just yesterday, a defeated-looking man came up to me and said, “I’m being crushed by debt. I’m completely wiped out.” I said, “Sorry, Donald, I can’t help you.” (Laughter and applause.)

But we’re lucky to have great partners, including Governor Whitmer of Michigan. She did a great job tonight. (Applause.) Gretchen and I both joined the picket line of UAW workers.

A strong union can make a corporation quiver, at least that’s what Jeff Bezos has been telling me at dinner. (Laughter and applause.) Jeff is a big supporter of journalism. He’s the richest man in the world, and that’s even with owning The Washington Post. (Laughter.)

Believe it or not, Republican Governor Cox of Utah is a good friend. He also did a great job tonight — a really great job tonight. (Applause.) He’s smart, he’s civil, he’s willing to stand up to extremists — or, as we call that, he’s a good Democrat. (Laughter.) God bless you, man. I hope I don’t get you in too much trouble. (Laughter.)

I heard House Republicans were going to do a skit tonight, but they couldn’t get a speaker. (Laughter.)

And the biggest joke of the night: an impeachment inquiry. Imagine believing something so baseless that has a zero chance of succeeding. But Republicans would rather fail at impeachment than succeed at anything else. (Laughter.)

They want a secure border — bor- — border, but they block it. We had the strongest border bill ever that we’ve c- — come up with. They take credit for one of the biggest infrastructure laws, but voted against it. And I’m the one confused? (Laughter and applause.)

Hell, my good friend, the Taoiseach of Ireland, is here tonight to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow. He took one look at Congress, and he asked for another Guinness. (Laughter.)

Of course, the big news this week is two candidates clinched their parties’ nomination for president. One candidate is too old and mentally unfit to be president. The other is me. (Laughter and applause.)

Look, I’m running against the same guy that I beat in 2020. But don’t tell him. He thinks he’s running against Barack Obama. (Laughter.) That’s what he said.

And another big difference between us: I know what I value most. I’m Jill Biden’s husband, and I know her name. (Laughter and applause.)

In the coming months, Kamala and I will be making the case how Americans are better off than four years ago, how we got so much through the pandemic, turned around the economy, reestablished America’s leadership in the world. All without encouraging the American people to inject bleach. (Laughter.) All without destroying the economy, embarrassing us around the world, or — or itching for insurrection.

Look, I wish these were jokes, but they’re not. As I said in my State of the Union Address, we live in an unprecedented moment in democracy, an unpre- — and an unprecedented moment for history. Democracy and freedom are literally under attack.

Putin is on the march in Europe. My predecessor bows down to him and says to him, “Do whatever the hell you want.” A former American president actually said that.

Joining us tonight is the prime minister of Estonia and the Ukrainian ambassador to the United States. I say — (applause) — I say to Putin and told him in person we will not — we will not bow down. They will not bow down, and I will not bow down. Period. (Applause.)

Here at home, our basic freedom is under assault — the freedom to vote, the freedom to choose, and so much more.

The lies about the 2020 election, the plots to overturn it, to embrace the January 6th insurrectionists pose the gravest threat to our democracy since the American Civil War.

In 2020, they failed. But you all know the threat remains, a poison cours- — coursing through the veins of our democracy. Disinformation everywhere. There’s a toxic cycle of anger and conspiracy. Massive — massive changes in the media industry, with pursue, with pursue, with pursue. Pursuing what? Pursuing heat and pursuing — instead of light.

All the while, the other guy calls you the free press. Well, he calls you the enemy of the people, even as many of you risk your lives to do your job and sometimes even give your lives to do your jobs.

I made clear we’re doing everything we can to bring Evan and Austin home and all Americans wrongly detained around the world. (Applause.) And we’ll not give up.

Folks, every single one of us has a role to play in making sure American democracy endures. This year, you, the free press, have a bigger role than ever.

Let me state the obvious. You’re not the enemy of the people. You are a pillar of any free society. And I may not always agree with your coverage or admire it, but I do admire your courage.

Good journalism holds a mirror up to a country for us to reflect the good, the bad, the truth about who we are.

This is not hyperbole: We need you. We need you. Democracy is at risk, and the American people need to know. In fractured times, they need a context and a perspective. They need substance to match the enormity of the task.

As a result, the choices you make really matter. And each story you make makes democracy stronger.

I know it’s possible because I know the American story. We’re a great nation. We’re good people, defined by core values of honesty, decency, dignity, light over darkness, courage over fear, and truth over lies.

These are also the bedrock principles of good journalism.

So, tonight, I’d like to toast the free press and toast to the American people and the enduring causes of democracy and freedom.

May God bless you all. And may God protect our troops.

Thank you. (Applause.)

10:41 P.M. EDT

USCE: We’re committed to helping the little guy but Ron DeSantis won’t take our calls

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“Fixing the Super Bowl for Taylor Swift” is a solid gag.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Additionally, the new definition for "high-speed" internet is now 100 mbps download speed. The previous definition was 25 mbps. Companies can no longer advertise "high-speed" internet if their speeds are lower than 100 mbps. Additionally, ISPs are now ineligible for any government grants or programs for providing high-speed internet unless they provide a minimum of 100 mbps download speeds to all of their customers.

This is a huge thing around where I live, where there still isn't full access to land line internet. All the ISPs were lobbying Mark Meadows to get the definition of High Speed internet down to something really lovely so they could get government subsidies to tie a string between houses or whatever. Madison Cawthorn was taking over this initiative before he decided his time in congress was best spent blasting lines and humping his best friend.

I'm sure I don't need to tell most of the people on SA this but the modern internet is barely usable with low speed internet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Goatse James Bond posted:

this is also probably the root cause of the Boston Marathon bombing as it happens

the older brother was a pretty normal dude who became really impulsive / violent / abusive after repeated cranial trauma from boxing and well, you know the rest

as someone who has listened to much true crime and social history in general. traumatic head injury stuff is kinda terryfing because it can take a mostly normal person and just destroy all inhabations and make you either a monster or some sad wreck like kevin sorbo.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as someone who has listened to much true crime and social history in general. traumatic head injury stuff is kinda terryfing because it can take a mostly normal person and just destroy all inhabations and make you either a monster or some sad wreck like kevin sorbo.
Traumatic head injuries are one thing that drat near every serial killer has in common. That and killing people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cat botherer posted:

Traumatic head injuries are one thing that drat near every serial killer has in common. That and killing people.

yeah. yeah. i think the media does a diservice by paining most serial killers as like these super smart dexter types. most arnt, they are usually fundimentally busted human beings that make trump look empathetic. i always recomment reading jack olsens book about true crime because it mostly focuses on the victims/families and also shows that most of these monsters as pathetic pieces of poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. yeah. i think the media does a diservice by paining most serial killers as like these super smart dexter types. most arnt, they are usually fundimentally busted human beings that make trump look empathetic. i always recomment reading jack olsens book about true crime because it mostly focuses on the victims/families and also shows that most of these monsters as pathetic pieces of poo poo.

I remember reading a bit in The Red Parts by Maggie Nelson (outstanding book btw) about how the valorizing of serial killers is mostly about flattering the dumbass cops who are unable or unwilling to stop them, plus your classic patriarchal bullshit naturally

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I remember reading a bit in The Red Parts by Maggie Nelson (outstanding book btw) about how the valorizing of serial killers is mostly about flattering the dumbass cops who are unable or unwilling to stop them, plus your classic patriarchal bullshit naturally

yeah thats alot of it. most serial killers go after the "less then dead"(minorities, sex workers, women of all types, usually poorer" etc) the ones that get caught are the ones that hit the manic phase and just start doing awful stuff outside the demo. that being sometimes. the one jack olsen books which talks about keith jesperson or whatever his name was talks about that. he only got caught because he murdered an ex that he was seen with alot. his first victim had been pinned on a couple because the gf/wife wanted the pigs to bust the husband for beating her so she said he killed the woman and it spun into a horror show where both got pinched and etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Jack+Olsen&i=audible&ref=dp_byline_sr_audible_1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Harold+Schechter&i=audible&ref=dp_byline_sr_audible_1
also harold schecter is good but more on historical cases.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 18, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When was the last actual American serial killer? Seems like the invention of "the shared database" kind of made that MO untenable.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

When was the last actual American serial killer? Seems like the invention of "the shared database" kind of made that MO untenable.

There's a database of sorts here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_active_in_the_2020s

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

zoux posted:

The Gilgo Beach guy was just arrested last year but Wikipedia says the last murder was in 2011.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like when i read about serial killers getting caught these days it’s old cases being solved thanks to people putting their family DNA into those genealogy databases. That was how the Golden State Killer eventually got caught.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like when i read about serial killers getting caught these days it’s old cases being solved thanks to people putting their family DNA into those genealogy databases. That was how the Golden State Killer eventually got caught.

this. they still exist and are still doing horrible crimes, but the ones that did it for imfamy and stuff just do mass shootings now because its quicker and easier.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

That case also had me believe that some of these "unsolved" cases were law enforcement or family of law enforcement and won't investigate further for fear of embarrassment.

Also, as bad as police are now hearing how some officers handled girls going missing in the 70s and 80s is awful. Sure, that 14 year old went to hang out with her 35 year old boyfriend and you definitely shouldn't do anything about that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

That case also had me believe that some of these "unsolved" cases were law enforcement or family of law enforcement and won't investigate further for fear of embarrassment.

Also, as bad as police are now hearing how some officers handled girls going missing in the 70s and 80s is awful. Sure, that 14 year old went to hang out with her 35 year old boyfriend and you definitely shouldn't do anything about that.

I am always kinda curious if the joan bennet case will ever get solved. i doubt it. having read a bunch of stuff on the case, I lean toward the family killing her but who knows.

but yeah, yeah, various jack olsen books do get into it. like some of the cops actually do good jobs in those cases but alot of time its nuts.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Finally, I hope the scourge of Windows 11 is not long for this world
Joint Statement on Efforts to Counter the Proliferation and Misuse of Commercial Spyware | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 posted:

At the third Summit for Democracy on March 18, 2024, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Poland, and Republic of Korea joined this first-of-its-kind international commitment to work collectively to counter the proliferation and misuse of commercial spyware. This joint statement, which was originally announced at the second Summit for Democracy on March 30, 2023, has been updated to reflect these additional countries.

We, the governments of Australia, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Ireland, Republic of Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States, recognize the threat posed by the misuse of commercial spyware and the need for strict domestic and international controls on the proliferation and use of such technology. 

Commercial spyware has been misused across the world by authoritarian regimes and in democracies.  Too often, such powerful and invasive tools have been used to target and intimidate perceived opponents and facilitate efforts to curb dissent; limit freedoms of expression, peaceful assembly, or association; enable human rights violations and abuses or suppression of civil liberties; or track or target individuals without proper legal authorization, safeguards, or oversight.  The misuse of these tools presents significant and growing risks to our national security, including to the safety and security of our government personnel, information, and information systems.

We therefore share a fundamental national security and foreign policy interest in countering and preventing the proliferation of commercial spyware that has been or risks being misused for such purposes, in light of our core interests in protecting individuals and organizations at risk around the world; defending activists, dissidents, and journalists against threats to their freedom and dignity; promoting respect for human rights; and upholding democratic principles and the rule of law.  We are committed, where applicable and subject to national legal frameworks, to implementing the Guiding Principles on Government Use of Surveillance Technologies and the Code of Conduct developed within the Export Controls and Human Rights Initiative. 

To advance these interests, we are partnering to counter the misuse of commercial spyware and commit to:

• working within our respective systems to establish robust guardrails and procedures to ensure that any commercial spyware use by our governments is consistent with respect for universal human rights, the rule of law, and civil rights and civil liberties;

• preventing the export of software, technology, and equipment to end-users who are likely to use them for malicious cyber activity, including unauthorized intrusion into information systems, in accordance with our respective legal, regulatory, and policy approaches and appropriate existing export control regimes;

• robust information sharing on commercial spyware proliferation and misuse, including to better identify and track these tools;      

• working closely with industry partners and civil society groups to inform our approach, help raise awareness, and set appropriate standards, while also continuing to support innovation; and  

• engaging additional partner governments around the world, as well as other appropriate stakeholders, to better align our policies and export control authorities to mitigate collectively the misuse of commercial spyware and drive reform in this industry, including by encouraging industry and investment firms to follow the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. 

Our efforts will allow us to work collectively for the first time as we develop and implement policies to discourage the misuse of commercial spyware and encourage the development and implementation of responsible use principles that are consistent with respect for universal human rights, the rule of law, and civil rights and civil liberties.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Like I don't think the Zodiac case is going to ever get solved at this point. All of the potential suspects are now dead I believe, and I'm not sure if there is any surviving DNA evidence from the crime scenes.

If there's no DNA, and the suspects and any potential witnesses are either dead or now unreliable due to age, it's not going to happen

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A lot of stuff is just much much harder to get away with now because there are so many cameras everywhere. Home invasion sprees don't last long. Someone on the street has a ring camera.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1769743476067828197

This election really is going to hinge on the question "Who was the president of these United States in 2020?"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1769743476067828197

This election really is going to hinge on the question "Who was the president of these United States in 2020?"

Lemme see, March 2020, what was I doing then?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xand_Man posted:

Being horrified at how many of my fellow human beings were complaining that washing your hands for 10 seconds straight was way too long and took forever. Then, learning that about 40% of American men say they don't use soap to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was enjoying a cover of a John Lennon song by some of my favorite celebrities.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I was posting, and here I am four years later

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah. Mostly serial killers just have whatever quality of lack of restraint or inhibition to just dare to do these extreme things. Sometimes the difficulty people have believing someone would actually do such things works in their favor and often it is just laziness and incompetence. Dahmer just killed a bunch of people more or less in plain sight in a tiny apartment, and the Long Island guy left so many digital and other trails to himself he should have been caught years earlier if not for the utter incompetence and corruption of the Long Island PD leadership during that time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was awaiting my orders from George Soros

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Being horrified at how many of my fellow human beings were complaining that washing your hands for 10 seconds straight was way too long and took forever. Then, learning that about 40% of American men say they don't use soap to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I used to work at a grocery store within sight and earshot of the public restroom. The number of people exiting while we could still hear the toilet flushing was horrifying.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Serial killer chit-chat, the Dahmer Netflix miniseries was good, it portrayed him as the weird goober that he was, and the cops as mostly awful morons.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PharmerBoy posted:

I used to work at a grocery store within sight and earshot of the public restroom. The number of people exiting while we could still hear the toilet flushing was horrifying.

I disagree with them, but I can at least understand the "never wash hands" people. It's the "just dab some water and refuse to use soap" people who confuse me. Why bother? You're already doing everything except the soap! Just add the soap or commit to not washing at all.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rappaport posted:

Serial killer chit-chat, the Dahmer Netflix miniseries was good, it portrayed him as the weird goober that he was, and the cops as mostly awful morons.

It was very well made but man by the end I was questioning if we really needed a well made Dahmer show, or if I needed to watch it. It was extremely disturbing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I've always had some minor obsessive tendencies about constantly washing my hands to begin with, and finding this poo poo out during the pandemic turned me into a full blown paranoiac and made me extremely uncomfortable touching any "public use" things like door handles and elevator buttons with my hands.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

I disagree with them, but I can at least understand the "never wash hands" people. It's the "just dab some water and refuse to use soap" people who confuse me. Why bother? You're already doing everything except the soap! Just add the soap or commit to not washing at all.

They lack the courage to commit and fear the stigma of not washing but also don't wanna

Basically selfish, childish mentality

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Watched a body cam video of the cops bullshiting outside the bar they couldn't get in while the gang was cleaning up the murder inside. Some of the other jurors were shocked at how bad the police were at their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

was fired from my job and wasnt working basically all of that year, was also stuck inside and friend my brain even more on politics and poo poo. so yeah no i wasnt doing good.