Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

edogawa rando posted:

As a Kiwi, I can only humbly apologise for what Park Road Post has done. I loving hate Peter Jackson too.

I feel like some of these guys, they see what the tools can do but they don’t understand what they can’t do, if that makes sense. A grainy film presentation is always going to look better than a DNR’d to hell and back version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Sniep posted:

Oh, Ok.

I guess they're just not shiping these in quantity to fulfill orders? Did they pull them back? Maybe cuz of the AI stuff?

Mine turned up from Amazon on the 13th, but that was after a solid week of e-mails from them with "updated delivery" dates.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
That leather shirt Gorman is wearing looks pretty uncomfortable. :P

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Steen71 posted:

Man that is nuts. There's a lot I like about this version, but then I see stuff like that and it brings me way down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It looks like that fake-rear end looking shite AI art.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like some of these guys, they see what the tools can do but they don’t understand what they can’t do, if that makes sense. A grainy film presentation is always going to look better than a DNR’d to hell and back version.

I think yeah as the tech developed they just got obsessed with it, and it proved commercially popular. They Shall Not Grow Old made $18 million in the U.S and the biggest documentary for a Fathom event. I remember seeing it in fairly full theater (and being amazed then). Same with Get Back which also won lots of awards to reinforce this as a good plan.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yay, the T2 UHD isn’t the worst UHD anymore

:(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Steen71 posted:

Honest question; how does stuff like this end up happening? Are they just running scans through an AI upscale and not checking the results?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Honest question; how does stuff like this end up happening? Are they just running scans through an AI upscale and not checking the results?

AI for sure but I do think people are checking the work. It’s just that people have developed some kind of actual brain rot where they genuinely think these upscales look good. Which is even worse!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

PinkoBastard posted:

AI for sure but I do think people are checking the work. It’s just that people have developed some kind of actual brain rot where they genuinely think these upscales look good. Which is even worse!

I hate this garbage future

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That looks very bad.

I watched the 4K Event Horizon last night and thought it looked pretty great, love that movie a lot but haven't seen a while so it was a gut punch for Funky poo poo to play over the credits :v:.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So Aliens, True Lies, and Abyss 4K Blu are all just as bad as the streaming versions then, correct?

I remember when the streaming versions came out and were terrible, there was a ton of “this is just the streaming version, wait for the disc” talk that, to me, felt like a huge dose of copium. I guess I was right :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
James Cameron is too in love with tech

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

So Aliens, True Lies, and Abyss 4K Blu are all just as bad as the streaming versions then, correct?

I remember when the streaming versions came out and were terrible, there was a ton of “this is just the streaming version, wait for the disc” talk that, to me, felt like a huge dose of copium. I guess I was right :(

I'll have The Abyss in my hands sometime this week and give an honest opinion. I'd imagine the heavy compression and filtering necessary for digital downloads don't do any favors. One thing I've noticed when I'm doing Handbrake backups of titles is that it's easy for an excellent-looking Blu-ray with a robust encode turning into something a bit mushy. As expected when you turn a 30-40 GB file into 5-10 GB.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Pretty much. True Lies is the worst looking one, with Aliens second. Abyss seems to be least affected by the DNR/AI shenanigans.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

PinkoBastard posted:

You know the kind of people who make upscaled videos for Youtube, and make the framerate 60fps because they think everything should look smooth

I'm just saying. There are real world consequences to a generation of letting people have motion smoothing on their HDTVs. Now they're making creative decisions for us non-morons slightly-less morons.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

pwn posted:

You know the kind of people who make upscaled videos for Youtube, and make the framerate 60fps because they think everything should look smooth

I'm just saying. There are real world consequences to a generation of letting people have motion smoothing on their HDTVs. Now they're making creative decisions for us non-morons slightly-less morons.

It’s like the people who genuinely think AI drawings look good. They want everything to be smoother. Smoother and smoother, forever.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

pwn posted:

Oh yeah 100%. At this point people think the picture look off without the smoothing. Brain rot!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah watching aliens right now. I'm far from an expert on this stuff (even just among this thread) but it's not as bad as I expected. So much looks great, but Jesus any person in motion and you can almost see the smudge tool following people's movements.

Like scenes of Ripley motionless in the beginning, you can see great detail in her face. But the second she turns her head is all a flat surface. Just wild.

It'll do for me, but if I hear even a rumor of actual work being done on this movie I'm ditching this copy fast.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Now that I’ve seen Aliens in motion it really does have that look of those YouTube videos where someone ads interpolated AI frames to make scenes “better” by being at 60 FPS. Any motion of a character and it feels like there’s some weird slight uncanny valley effect going on, like they’re partly covered up suddenly by a 3D model of themselves because suddenly they lose texture definition

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I hate to use possibly the most annoying character in the movie as an example, but:

Sorry imgur seems to be not working for me atm.

But this to me, looks pretty decent. But the second he turns his head, you'd swear he didn't have any pores. It's wild.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol

James Cameron straight up sucks

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kingtheninja posted:

I hate to use possibly the most annoying character in the movie as an example, but:

Sorry imgur seems to be not working for me atm.

But this to me, looks pretty decent. But the second he turns his head, you'd swear he didn't have any pores. It's wild.
He always was an rear end in a top hat

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

James Cameron is your dad who has you setup his TV for movies but the second you finish he sets all the sharpening filters to max and changes the picture to the “vivid” setting

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PinkoBastard posted:

Oh yeah 100%. At this point people think the picture look off without the smoothing. Brain rot!

Before I broke up with a serious girlfriend, I turned all that poo poo off on her TV. I did this at her request (the TV stuff, not the breaking up)

I may have broken her heart, but at least her TV wasn’t anymore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cool: they have a vhs nook where you can watch old tapes in the new cafe next to the vista theater

Not cool: you can’t bring your own vhs tapes to watch.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Before I broke up with a serious girlfriend, I turned all that poo poo off on her TV. I did this at her request (the TV stuff, not the breaking up)

I may have broken her heart, but at least her TV wasn’t anymore.

the right and honourable thing to do :hai:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Cool: they have a vhs nook where you can watch old tapes in the new cafe next to the vista theater

Not cool: you can’t bring your own vhs tapes to watch.

How do they stop you? Is there a clerk who handles the tapes for you or something?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I went to a fancy new age wine bar this afternoon and in the back they had a tv with a vhs of Doom Asylum and that seemed right.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got around to watching my Darkman steelbook after not having seen it in probably 10-15 years. Great looking movie even with the obvious greenscreening. They don't make films like this anymore. "I'm learning to live with a lot of things" is an incredible line.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Having never watched Darkman and being a huge dweeb growing up, this is the first thing that pops to mind whenever someone brings it up (back cover of Cracked #260, January 1991

A scan of the original art from Heritage Auctions, it originally was captioned, "Who is Dorkman?"

I do love Raimi so I will have to see it eventually.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Mr E posted:

Got around to watching my Darkman steelbook after not having seen it in probably 10-15 years. Great looking movie even with the obvious greenscreening. They don't make films like this anymore. "I'm learning to live with a lot of things" is an incredible line.

I watched the movie for the first time a year or two and that is the same line that completely took me out. It's such a brilliant mix of superhero and Universal horror.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Watched the new release of 'The Abyss' last night. It's a very mixed bag. What's really jarring with these heavily DNR'ed 4K releases for me at least is even when the tech is working perfectly and you're seeing something that looks like it was shot this year with a top of the line digital process, the audio is still that of an older movie. It's especially noticeable in dialogue, your brain is seeing pristine and clean images of people talking but they sound like, well, 1980's recordings.

Everything underwater and within the rig looks great, really really great actually. The big disaster action sequences are awesome. It all kind of falls apart for the last 30 minutes though when you've got a lot of matte painting, model and composite shots that should never be hit with insane levels of upscaling and DNR. Distractingly bad, sub-youtuber AI level poo poo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/ultrahdbluray/status/1769528455991873852?s=46
https://www.reddit.com/r/4kbluray/comments/1bg4kcv/reality_of_the_james_cameron_4ks_review/

So basically the new disc is just the old disc but upscaled with HDR thrown over it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lmao

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is nutrageous.

Not a Darkman fan, but I do enjoy Crimewave! For weird Raimi/Coen stuff. And Lunatics: A Love Story for Ted Raimi.

Speaking of the Coens, Ethan's Drive-Away Dolls is really good, underrated stuff.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of poorly done 4Ks, what’s the best version currently of A Clockwork Orange? Last I checked there were some versions that had real bad audio problems?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1769756603547308399?t=1v-eBfVlTIQ2LPz0aakECw&s=19

DON'T PUT METAL IN THE SCIENCE OVEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The people have been clamoring for American Hustle on 4K.