Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elden Ring at least makes it harder to break the quest chain and you can still complete it even if you miss a step or two. Compare to Bloodborne where if you miss meeting a character they're just gone for the entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Based on how they have approached patch notes I'm not writing off the possibility that they are just bad at communicating things to the player.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah From's approach to sidequests is a major drag on all of the Souls games, it's the one thing I'd change about them. At least it's in a game that wants you to play it through multiple times, so having a guide on NG+ is viable, but it is annoying and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Yeah, I really wish ER had a quest journal.
I don't need it to give me big easy quest markers like Skyrim, I don't need it to give me a hint about some puzzle, I just want to be able to remember what the gently caress I was doing or where I was in a questline the last time I played because it's been a couple of weeks and I had enough real life poo poo to need to remember.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like a patch at some point put down NPC character markers on the map? Not that I ever needed it. I always got 100 completion on every Souls game my first play through

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Anything's better than the Tendencies from Demons Souls, at least regards to NPCs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I feel like a patch at some point put down NPC character markers on the map? Not that I ever needed it. I always got 100 completion on every Souls game my first play through

One of the early patches puts that in yeah, but since it doesn’t show where an NPC moved to until after you find them again it mostly just makes the 🧍 icon for manually marking noteworthy NPCs superfluous.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bloodborne is my favorite soulslike by a huge margin - nothing else really feels as tightly designed world-wise - but by god the level palette is drab. It mostly makes up for it with the skyboxes being gorgeous but it still doesn’t really change the fact that 99% of the game is brown, gray, or ~~spooky~~ glowing pale. Even the blood that flies around everywhere is muddy and desaturated.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Aloy giving the player hints out loud is the thing that turned me off the first horizon. I'll probably finish em both one day BC the story seems dope and a lot of the gameplay issues I have with them are kind of my issue rather than an endemic problem but it's incredibly immersion breaking for me to just have aloy think out loud about what I should be doing and imo shows a lack of faith in their game design

The lack of faith is warranted. The platforming is so bad in Forbidden West that I've skipped or sequence broke so much content. I've completed ruins that are marked "Upgrade Needed" by just wall jumping to obvious ledges and have explored the world map until I got a pop up that said, "If you go any farther, your game will load to the latest save," like the game is throwing its hands in the air at me. I recently got to an underwater area full of hostile machines, and there are all these ruins and flora on the floor that you have to navigate around. Aloy tells herself that she can hide in reeds and wait for patrols to swim by. But there's nothing stopping you from swimming 20 feet above them. From there, no machines can see you and there are zero obstacles in your way, so you can just beeline to the next objective. And when I got to the objective, apparently I was supposed to solve some kind of puzzle to get out of the water. But again, the platforming is really bad. I was out of the water by just pressing forward and jump before Aloy could explain to me that I was supposed to be doing a puzzle. I uploaded my clip below, not sure why half the video is frozen

https://i.imgur.com/PRS058h.mp4

It's a shame, because there are so many good things about this game. But I don't think I'm going to finish it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Ah god dammit, Cyberpunk 2077 has one of those "don't let that car get away!" quests that's bugged as hell. I don't know what's causing it, but I keep failing the mission. The truck slows to a crawl, and the guy goes "AH YOU'RE USELESS! THEY GOT AWAY!"

But the car we're pursuing is right in front of us. It hasn't gotten away. Am I being spotted, maybe? Am I not supposed to be spotted? Because it's definitely not "getting away", that's not what's happening :mad:

edit: this quest is garbage. Three different times the quest ended early and I "failed" because "he got away." I still don't know what's triggering that. It also has this annoying thing where cars drive out in front of you, which makes sense because it's supposed to be dramatic, and difficult, this car chase, except that none of the other vehicles that get in your way are obeying traffic signals! So what, are they all working for the guy I'm tailing?

Then we finally reach the guy I'm tailing, and I kill him. This doesn't cause me to fail the quest, but the guy I'm next to is still shouting at him, and then he just dies. Nothing killed him, but he's now dead.

So what the gently caress. So I reload. Apparently I'm supposed to let the two argue and then he gets shot. BUT I also learned, you can kill the bad guy with one shot if you do it before he kills the guy who gave me the mission; if you try to fight him AFTER he kills the guy, for some reason he's super ultra mega powerful and annihilates me.

God dammit this quest is buggy as gently caress.

edit: oh I looked it up and everyone hates this quest, but they seem to mostly hate it for what comes after. I think the biggest problem with this is... you're not supposed to get too close to the tailing car or "it gets away." I presume you also shouldn't let it get too far away but I've let it get 100+ meters away and it doesn't seem to trigger the mission failstate. Even though you're there to help your client, you're definitely not supposed to protect him, because he is scripted to die, even if the person killing him is already dead. You're also not supposed to kill the guy who kills your client, but just let it happen and then talk to him. This is just an awful quest by design and is so incongruous with how every other quest I've played so far has been.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Mar 16, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tailing missions are always bad and I don’t know why anyone does them

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Ah god dammit, Cyberpunk 2077 has one of those "don't let that car get away!" quests that's bugged as hell. I don't know what's causing it, but I keep failing the mission. The truck slows to a crawl, and the guy goes "AH YOU'RE USELESS! THEY GOT AWAY!"

But the car we're pursuing is right in front of us. It hasn't gotten away. Am I being spotted, maybe? Am I not supposed to be spotted? Because it's definitely not "getting away", that's not what's happening :mad:

edit: this quest is garbage. Three different times the quest ended early and I "failed" because "he got away." I still don't know what's triggering that. It also has this annoying thing where cars drive out in front of you, which makes sense because it's supposed to be dramatic, and difficult, this car chase, except that none of the other vehicles that get in your way are obeying traffic signals! So what, are they all working for the guy I'm tailing?

Then we finally reach the guy I'm tailing, and I kill him. This doesn't cause me to fail the quest, but the guy I'm next to is still shouting at him, and then he just dies. Nothing killed him, but he's now dead.

So what the gently caress. So I reload. Apparently I'm supposed to let the two argue and then he gets shot. BUT I also learned, you can kill the bad guy with one shot if you do it before he kills the guy who gave me the mission; if you try to fight him AFTER he kills the guy, for some reason he's super ultra mega powerful and annihilates me.

edit: oh I looked it up and everyone hates this quest, but they seem to mostly hate it for what comes after. I think the biggest problem with this is... you're not supposed to get too close to the tailing car or "it gets away." I presume you also shouldn't let it get too far away but I've let it get 100+ meters away and it doesn't seem to trigger the mission failstate. Even though you're there to help your client, you're definitely not supposed to protect him, because he is scripted to die, even if the person killing him is already dead. You're also not supposed to kill the guy who kills your client, but just let it happen and then talk to him. This is just an awful quest by design and is so incongruous with how every other quest I've played so far has been.

Skip it, its garbage.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is this one of the clown guy's quests or is it a quest from the dlc?

I 100%ed the base game and either vaguely remember a quest like this, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tailing missions are always bad and I don’t know why anyone does them

The best approach is something like Hitman where tailing is something you do naturally as an information gathering exercise for your own plans and isn't a strictly enforced mechanic.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Meowywitch posted:

is this one of the clown guy's quests or is it a quest from the dlc?

I 100%ed the base game and either vaguely remember a quest like this, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong

I've only completed the first part of it, but in looking up how to accomplish this (turns out if anyone dies either by your driving OR the physics-ignoring vehicle you're tailing then it triggers the "they got away!" failstate) it later involves a crucifixion.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

All you had to do was follow the drat car CB!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

Yeah that quest is extremely buggy, i actually fell off the game for a fair bit when i couldn't get it to start properly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

credburn posted:

I've only completed the first part of it, but in looking up how to accomplish this (turns out if anyone dies either by your driving OR the physics-ignoring vehicle you're tailing then it triggers the "they got away!" failstate) it later involves a crucifixion.

oh, sinnerman. yeah the railroading in that one is egregious. gta-level

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKain posted:

I'm not super on D&D rules, but I think once major organs start getting involved you get into more of a necromancy thing then healing. Raise dead is supposed to be more like magical cpr.
In 3.x using magic to graft stuff onto people got you a flesh golem. Not even a frankenstein situation, just a robot made of meat. I don't think 5e has been specific about it but D&D gets a bit weird in general about what counts as injuries and illness vs ~the natural order of things~. Stabbed through the heart -> off the shelf spell. Stuff like congenital heart problems or coronary heart disease due to poor diet -> ask your gm

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Mar 17, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Splicer posted:

In 3.x using magic to graft stuff onto people got you a flesh golem. Not even a frankenstein situation, just a robot made of meat. I don't think 5e has been specific about it but D&D gets a bit weird in general about what counts as injuries and illness vs ~the natural order of things~. Stabbed through the heart -> off the shelf spell. Stuff like congenital heart problems or coronary heart disease due to poor diet -> ask your gm

In that context, it sounds more like Natural Causes vs. Not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Huh? There was an entire class of magic items called grafts with like ten different variants, including construct grafts (in Faiths of Eberron) and also the half-golem template in MM2. The latter had a chance of turning you evil, but it didn't make you mindless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arivia posted:

Huh? There was an entire class of magic items called grafts with like ten different variants, including construct grafts (in Faiths of Eberron) and also the half-golem template in MM2. The latter had a chance of turning you evil, but it didn't make you mindless.

Does it allow you to quadruple-wield brilliant-energy longswords?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

man grafts are in like ten books i'm not looking up to see if any of them make you general grievous

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Arivia posted:

'Wizard, ever since you installed this prosthetic hand, the inhabitants of Abyss have called to me."

"If you read your Consent to Magic scroll you'd see

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Dude we're talking 3e.

In 3e you could play as a centipede centaur which has 100 legs, replace them all with the "leg of squid" pirate pegleg graft (which replaces each of them with a squid which has 10 tentacles), then put a "glove of man" onto the end of each tentacle, which converts it into a functional hand, and wield 1000 weapons at once, provided you were lying down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Verrrry dangerous over short distances

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

I meant in the "Axe goes in -> heart comes out -> new heart goes in -> cleric casts Raise Dead." case. Capital G Grafts weren't really in the lifesaving medicine category outside of Eberron, and if people didn't enjoy edition war chat they're definitely not going to enjoy us diving into I can't even think of a single line summary here.

Jamming a spare heart into someone and jury rigging a spell to patch it in gets you flesh (half-)golems (e: following a failed save yadda yadda), and while -6 int isn't mindless it's a hell of a step down. I did get flesh golems and the half-golem flesh golem variant mixed up though.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Mar 18, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tacking onto BG3 level cap chat: it bugs me when a game holds back certain mechanics or abilities until you've 100% completed the game.

Pikmin 4 has an RPG element, where you give your trusty canine companion new abilities, getting points each time you rescue someone. The final skill requires you to rescue EVERYONE, meaning you can't actually get it until you've beaten the final boss, in which case you likely have almost nothing left to do in the story mode. There's also a challenge mode I haven't played yet, which unlocks the ability to recruit the last two rare type of Pikmin in story mode... but at that point I will have done literally everything there is to do in the game. If there's literally nothing for me to do with the new ability, it's not really a reward, is it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Tacking onto BG3 level cap chat: it bugs me when a game holds back certain mechanics or abilities until you've 100% completed the game.

Pikmin 4 has an RPG element, where you give your trusty canine companion new abilities, getting points each time you rescue someone. The final skill requires you to rescue EVERYONE, meaning you can't actually get it until you've beaten the final boss, in which case you likely have almost nothing left to do in the story mode. There's also a challenge mode I haven't played yet, which unlocks the ability to recruit the last two rare type of Pikmin in story mode... but at that point I will have done literally everything there is to do in the game. If there's literally nothing for me to do with the new ability, it's not really a reward, is it?

It extremely Bothered me when I unlocked the ability to directionally swarm pikmin from the first two games because it came from a quest that requires completing almost all of the game. That was functionality I was wishing for the whole game but just assumed they hadn’t include it in P4

Turned out they did include it and just chose not to let you use it almost at all!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OG FFXII had the gambits for "attack enemy weak to fire with fire" locked until like 80% of the way through.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Owl Inspector posted:

It extremely Bothered me when I unlocked the ability to directionally swarm pikmin from the first two games because it came from a quest that requires completing almost all of the game. That was functionality I was wishing for the whole game but just assumed they hadn’t include it in P4

Turned out they did include it and just chose not to let you use it almost at all!

Lol what the gently caress. I must have missed this because I never even saw it. What quest was this??

e: Ok looked it up. I didn't realize any of these side quests rewarded something other than money, so I stopped turning them in when I had gotten all the money upgrades and had no use for cash anymore. Lol. Lmao.

Muscle Tracer has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Mar 18, 2024

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There is an incredibly minor subplot in FF7 Rebirth that a TV show about animals playing card games against each other is in development. This is mentioned just a handful of times in passing and I love it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Owl Inspector posted:

:goonsay:You get it early on in the Olimar sidestory mode, letting you use it for most of the run there!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

muscles like this! posted:

Elden Ring at least makes it harder to break the quest chain and you can still complete it even if you miss a step or two. Compare to Bloodborne where if you miss meeting a character they're just gone for the entire run.

I wanted to try out a spell and looked at a guide online and it directed me to go find Ranni in her tower (which I probably never would have gone to on my own). Talking to her causes her to spawn three NPCs and trap the player in the tower until they talk to all three. Except it only spawned two of the NPCs for me, missing the one that tells me the next step of the quest. I also couldn't leave the tower. Testing at the bonfire dropped the barrier and despawned the NPCs (which Ranni wouldn't spawn again). I used the online guide to go to the next step, which was to meet the NPC that didn't spawn in the tower, but they wouldn't spawn at the new location, presumably because I hadn't talked to them in the tower. I used the guide to skip a few more steps passed anything to do with that NPC (which was actually to go to an area I had already explored but had a chest that wouldn't open until I had this quest line active). So, while the game did break the quest and there would have been no way for me to know how to fix it within the game, at least it let me follow a guide to pick up the quest line later and finish it.

I feel like I had several times where I read about an item or spell that seemed interesting and when I looked online it was tied to a sidequest or character that was no longer available to me because I had to know to start it before I visited a certain area of the map, which seems out of line with an open world approach to the game.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Rockman Reserve posted:

the very first tutorial popup in Code Vein when you get to an actual level instead of the dreamy training platform tells you to press the quick attack button when behind an enemy to do a backstab

Also I have no idea how the leveling system works, it seems like you just increase your level and it increases HP and Stamina and maaaaaybe damage if you’re really lucky, and levels are shared across all your blood codes…but then there’s tips that are like “increase your willpower to make this attack more effective” but I can’t see any way to upgrade stats individually like in Soulsbornering.

(also this is minor and petty but the character creator is pretty fun but the character models have some of the worst clipping I’ve ever seen.)

I enjoyed Code Vein, but I remember the leveling being unclear. When I had read about it online, I thought the consensus was that the stat increases from levelling itself were very minor (the stats are mostly driven by the classes, or whatever the game calls them), and there was some cost (I can't remember if there was monster levelling that outpaced the player or maybe a decrease in drop rates), so the recommendation was to level just a few times (for the initial bump to health) and then basically not at all after that. I played the vast majority of the game with just that initial levelling and then right at the end part of the game (when there was nothing left for me to buy or skills to level) I dumped all my extra money into character levels.

It is a weird way to handle levelling in a game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah apparently skills gain experience slower based on your level vs the enemies you’re facing, but leveling seems to do very very close to nothing at all and it’s not like the game is particularly difficult so far

it’s just super weird to present it as an action rpg with all these stats that show up in 90% of the UI screens but you don’t actually interact with them in any meaningful way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I meant in the "Axe goes in -> heart comes out -> new heart goes in -> cleric casts Raise Dead." case. Capital G Grafts weren't really in the lifesaving medicine category outside of Eberron, and if people didn't enjoy edition war chat they're definitely not going to enjoy us diving into I can't even think of a single line summary here.

Jamming a spare heart into someone and jury rigging a spell to patch it in gets you flesh (half-)golems (e: following a failed save yadda yadda), and while -6 int isn't mindless it's a hell of a step down. I did get flesh golems and the half-golem flesh golem variant mixed up though.

3e D&D: Int 1, Int 0, and Int - are different things and it is VERY IMPORTANT you know which one you have and why.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Reminds me of how one of the official scenarios for DnD 5e has you run into a Intellect Devourer very early on. Unsurprisingly, it devours your intellect, potentially lowering your Intelligence score to 0. That in turn puts you into a vegetative state until you somehow regain points in Intelligence.

That happened to one of our party members, and the thing was that at the time we played it the only way to get that Intelligence back is through a fairly high-level restoration spell that we couldn't cast. Now, as per the rules you can just go and pay a temple to cast that spell for you, but the listed price was insanely high for a bunch of lovely level 1 characters. So then the game suddenly turned into us going into a mountain of debt and engaging in various dubious schemes to raise the money to get our friend their brain back. It turned out to be good fun, but that was very much thanks to our GM rather than the rules.

Though in a bit of fairness to the game, they have apparently since adjusted/clarified the wording to state that you just need a good night's sleep to recover from this particular kind of intelligence loss. The rest of the scenario was still kinda poopy though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm gonna skip tomb Raider 3 and move onto 4 because my GOD the Kayaking sucks. Combined with the save system I am just done.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey, let me ask you, are you playing Tomb Raider 3 remastered? And are you doing it on console?

I ask because the save crystals were never on PC, and they were only in Tomb Raider 1 and 3 for consoles. I find it strange they decided to put them BACK in 3, but also they kept it in for the remaster, and also apparently the console version and PC versions of the remaster are different? What else is different besides forcing console players to endure the save crystals? Why didn't they just port the PC version to console, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

Hey, let me ask you, are you playing Tomb Raider 3 remastered? And are you doing it on console?

I ask because the save crystals were never on PC, and they were only in Tomb Raider 1 and 3 for consoles. I find it strange they decided to put them BACK in 3, but also they kept it in for the remaster, and also apparently the console version and PC versions of the remaster are different? What else is different besides forcing console players to endure the save crystals? Why didn't they just port the PC version to console, then?

Playing on Console, on my PS2. It's really annoying. I wouldn't know what's different though because I've never actually beaten them before. Something that Tomb Raider 3 introduces that I hate though besides the Kayak poo poo, is the enemies that can poison you. Tomb Raider should NOT have status effects, it's not the right type of game for it.

It definitely feels like 3 is the worst of the games, but I've not played 4 in decades and never got very far into it, and never played Chronicles.