Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sydin posted:

Hi I'll take two-time Cy winner Blake Snell for 2/60 with an opt-out in the middle that he'll 100% exercise unless his arm spontaneously combusts for my team please and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

LOL that deal has almost 0 downside for the Astros and they still don't want to do it

The downside for the Astros is the Hader deal already cost them a couple of picks and this would cost them a couple more and their farm system is already pretty barren

That said, if they're supposedly all in on the season and letting Bregman and Tucker walk after the season anyway which appears to be what's happening then might as well

I dunno I'm not particularly high on Snell but at that price?

e: If they can make the playoffs with Verlander, Garcia and McCullers healthy to go along with Framber, Javier and Brown then theoretically they don't need Snell even if the pitching is really thin to start the season. On the other hand Framber and Javier both looked completely washed for the second half of last season

e2: also mccullers might not even be good anymore since he's going to focus on his fastball at the expense of his curveball to try to stay healthy and his fastball is his most hittable pitch

Intruder fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 18, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Padres game vs the KBO's LG Twins starts in a couple minutes and is free to watch on MLB.tv

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If Snell is really willing to take 2 years $60M then he should be signed yesterday by a bunch of teams, the more I think about it the more insanely team friendly that is

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just assumed the sticking point for teams signing Snell was he wanted a longer deal. 2/60 is a no brainer for any team competing, which makes me suspicious if that is real.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Any recommendations for visiting Globe Life in Arlington, where to sit, what to eat, any cool stuff to check out? Looking at views it feels like the 100 sections are pretty far away.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

If Snell is really willing to take 2 years $60M then he should be signed yesterday by a bunch of teams, the more I think about it the more insanely team friendly that is

Ya its absoultely a bananas slam dunk deal for every team, hell even teams that are bad should do that maybe just to trade him halfway through the year and get atop 100 prospect or two

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Collusion is a hell of a drug.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nvm my thought process on that was a mess

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

more falafel please posted:

Any recommendations for visiting Globe Life in Arlington, where to sit, what to eat, any cool stuff to check out? Looking at views it feels like the 100 sections are pretty far away.

Its not a gigantic ballpark, so the 100 sections still should be pretty nice depending on what you are used to. Hurtado's BBQ is probably the best place for real food inside, and here's last year's article on gimmick food: https://dallas.eater.com/23022139/dallas-globe-life-field-rangers-baseball-concession-stand-food

The ballpark is pretty nice on the inside, but the exterior is a bit of a let down. I loved the old ballpark, but air conditioning is non-negotiable for probably 90% of the season.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Orlando Arcia took 96 on the wrist today, not the hardest guy to replace but it's not great behind him at the moment. X-rays negative so hopefully not a big problem.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
I had almost forgotten about him, but apparently Kyle Stowers homered in 3 straight at bats yesterday. 7 HRs in 37 ABs.

Will be amusing if he adds to the O’s challenge of how to play all the young guys.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

I just assumed the sticking point for teams signing Snell was he wanted a longer deal. 2/60 is a no brainer for any team competing, which makes me suspicious if that is real.

I mean, the source is Bob. Snell’s asking price could just as easily be 20 years for $Texas, we have no clue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/matthewkawahara/status/1769723844212748574

See you at the ASB.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Collusion is a hell of a drug.

It's not collusion, it's the salary cap.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
"Salary cap"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well if I were an owner being threatened with cock and ball torture for spending too much on players, I'd think of it as a cap as well

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

zoux posted:

Well if I were an owner being threatened with cock and ball torture for spending too much on players, I'd think of it as a cap as well

You... you think owners are threatening their high spending brethren with making them wear the official uniform pants of Major League Baseball??

I mean, I know they're billionaires and capable of great monstrosity, but...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

"Salary cap"

It's literally a salary cap. It's kinda understandable that the Yankees don't want to spend 62 million a year on Blake Snell.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's purpose is to function as a salary cap and it's structure is not all that different from other salary caps with the escalating tax penalties for going over and repeat offenders. The owners largely treat it as a cap, seems appropriate to call it a cap.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

What's the "real" value of Blake Snell? He's an average pitcher most years and has peak years where he's a Cy Young winner. The market for any competent arm seems really high. Would Snell sign for 4 years? I know length of contract has been a sticking point for him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The top tier of the CBT is something like a 110% tax on every dollar spent, IIRC I was reading that if the Yankees signed Snell to a $30M deal right now it would actually cost them $61M per year, which, yeah I get why that's a bit less palatable to ownership.

It's easily the worst thing the MLBPA allowed the owners to sneak into and calcify into the CBA over the last couple decades. That it now also affects your first round pick is insane as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

What's the "real" value of Blake Snell? He's an average pitcher most years and has peak years where he's a Cy Young winner. The market for any competent arm seems really high. Would Snell sign for 4 years? I know length of contract has been a sticking point for him.

As a Boras client what Boras is presumably trying to get on Snell's behalf is to have his cake and eat it too: a gigantic 10+ year contract that also has several different opt-outs, so it can be short-term if he's healthy and he can still get megapaid if his arm falls off.

The contract Bellinger ended up taking is risky but not terrible for a position player, but it's pretty terrible for a pitcher since their arms implode with such frequency.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

He's better than average even in his non CY years. Legit TOR guy. But the criticism that he doesn't give you deep outings seems to be real at least

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All of Bellinger, Snell, and Montgomery getting basically no interest whatsoever in any kind of long term contract is just straight up collusion though. There is 1000% an understanding among the owners that they are not going to lay out huge deals for anyone short of the Ohtani level anymore. Soto will still get megapaid next year. Bellinger won't, even if he repeats 2023.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1769758085394891066

The Yankees are lying about Judge's injury.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We need to hurry up and get to cybernetic implant baseball

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snell is obviously flawed but I subscribe to the "he's better than what you got at the back of your rotation" school of thought. He'd be an improvement for probably any rotation with the proven upside of being a top rotation guy. Its just a question of whether a team thinks he's worth the asking price.

I don't really see this stuff as collusion when (a) plenty of free agents signed big deals or deals beyond what people thought they'd get and (b) the guys not getting a deal all have the same agent with the same demands. I guess it could be collusion against Boras but a bunch of his guys have signed too. Ultimately it just seems like Boras' style and methods playing out for better or worse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boras clearly bungled these contracts and I hope it hurts his business because I don't like him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Boras clearly bungled these contracts and I hope it hurts his business because I don't like him.

MLB owner account spotted

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

We need to hurry up and get to cybernetic implant baseball

Base Wars IRL

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

MLB owner account spotted

It's actually fine to hate both Scott Boras who is bad at his job, and also MLB owners.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

He's better than average even in his non CY years. Legit TOR guy. But the criticism that he doesn't give you deep outings seems to be real at least

is he? There are several in between years here where he's definitely not a TOR guy

Just look at his three years in San Diego: below-average starter, solid mid-rotation starter, league-leading Cy Young winner. In '17 and '19 he was technically above average on a rate basis (just barely) but below average from a WAR perspective because of his lack of volume.

He's one of the highest variance pitchers in the game year to year.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 18, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To me it's pretty clear that the owners used the uncertainties regarding local TV deals to reduce FA spending. The Dodgers were one of the few exceptions because their TV situation is different.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blake Snell has 2 Cys yet I don't think he's worth even 2/60

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

It's actually fine to hate both Scott Boras who is bad at his job, and also MLB owners.

He's been exceptional at his job for years, this being the first real exception, and only now seemingly at the expense of the owners actively colluding against signing his guys. I honestly have no idea what you're on about or why you'd dislike the guy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Players know what they're getting into when they hire Boras. The Boras 4 all have their flaws and they hired an agent who specifically ignores them. If Snell wanted 6 years, $120 million, he should've hired a different agent.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mcmagic posted:

It's not collusion, it's the salary cap.

What do you think the luxury tax is, mcmagic, if not codified collusion?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The thing keeping Snell from having already signed a big deal is he is wildly inconsistent. The range of outcomes on any given game or season from him is huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

He's been exceptional at his job for years, this being the first real exception, and only now seemingly at the expense of the owners actively colluding against signing his guys. I honestly have no idea what you're on about or why you'd dislike the guy.
I don't even think this year is good evidence of Boras being bad at his job. His top 4 guys this year all have major well-known flaws which make it difficult to secure typical top-market deals.