Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jeremor posted:

Maybe I'm just a loving idiot, what is the advantage of the smg being one handed? Can you shoot it while sprinting or something? I'd test it out if I wasn't at work

handy when you need to carry fifty hard drives back and forth across space scotland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

God, the slow effect caused by Hunters is brutal. One Hunter whipping me and slowing me causes me to die more than anything else.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

deep dish peat moss posted:

I learned something incredibly important tonight after switching away from the light stealth armor for the first time ever: The stealth armor doesn't just decrease the range that enemies can detect you at, but it decreases the range that they can actively track you at. Being in different armor is the first time I've realized what other people have talked about where they have trouble running away from enemies. With the light stealth armor you just jog for a bit and the enemies forget about you and stop chasing, but using the light grenade range armor they will chase for loving ever.

My takeaway from this is that the light stealth armor is the only armor in the game worth even considering using :colbert:

Was running heavy for a while and switching from that to the scout armor was a game changer. Heavy can't even loving outrun hulks. I was terrified of running into flame hulks in heavy armor even with the stamina booster.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah. And I'm not exactly accumulating tons of the yellow currency either. I have:

First orbital (default?)

Eagle air strike, strafing run, cluster bomb (love these but want to branch out)

Machine gun turret (such a pea shooter)

Supply Pack (love it)
Laser Guard Dog (want to love it but it team kills sometimes)

I think a low hanging fruit might be just to add one better turret and run:

Eagle air strike
Turret
Default Orbital
Support Weapon w/ backpack

I Really like the support pack but What I see ruin our runs most often is a charger no one can stop. Small arms can address any smaller enemies, but when a. Charger shows up you either kill it or you start a fighting retreat which is where things sometimes devolve into a running route with repeat deaths

I don't think a turret should be like your everyday carry until you get the upgrades IMO. You have the tools to pull just as much weight on high level missions as your friends.

Eagle Airstrike
Eagle Cluster
Walking Barrage
Autocannon

Eagle Airstrike
Eagle Cluster
EATs
Supply Pack

Get Airburst / Walking Barrage at your current level, or grenade launcher if you havent got it yet since it goes great with supply pack. I think you should be targeting eagle 500kg bomb next. I pretty much always bring Eagle Airstrike + Eagle 500kg and my third is wild card but usually railcannon. And I run autocannon or EATs for my carry.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crows Turn Off posted:

God, the slow effect caused by Hunters is brutal. One Hunter whipping me and slowing me causes me to die more than anything else.

Yeah if there's anything that causes my friends to shout out "THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT" it's getting slowed down by hunters.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think 500kg is worth until you get the final eagle hangar upgrade for +1 bombs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
EATs are baby's first Charger-hunters. Learn to call them in whenever you approach a group of enemies and pop those big fellas' heads off.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

johnny park posted:

You can also use it while holding the ballistic shield, lol

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah. And I'm not exactly accumulating tons of the yellow currency either. I have:

First orbital (default?)

Eagle air strike, strafing run, cluster bomb (love these but want to branch out)

Supply Pack (love it)

Eagle air strike
Turret
Default Orbital

I Really like the support pack but What I see ruin our runs most often is a charger no one can stop. Small arms can address any smaller enemies, but when a. Charger shows up you either kill it or you start a fighting retreat which is where things sometimes devolve into a running route with repeat deaths

just use whatever you think is fun. don't stress too much about it

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
Has anyone else had trouble joining games the last few days? I'm stuck on "searching for active SOS beacon" indefinitely using quickplay no matter what time of day. Also can't join games on the map or have anyone join my games. This is on PC, not internet problems otherwise. I reinstalled, checked firewall, ran as admin, verified files, no luck...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spanish Manlove posted:

do NOT use the concussive liberator, it's a dogshit weapon that does no damage and provides no benefit even though it feels loving awesome.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Jack B Nimble posted:

First orbital (default?)

Supply Pack (love it)

Eagle air strike
Turret
Default Orbital

This is speaking more to your teammates than you, but having played a lot of matches with lowbie friends on my high level account, I don't think it's right to put the onus of addressing heavies on the low level players. I usually tell lowbies to focus on the swarms and mark the heavies for players with mechs/rail cannons.

That said, I'd examine exactly how much good your turret is doing for you and maybe drop it in favor of another eagle or orbital. EATS are a very good thing to spam as well, and while headshotting a charger with one is a risky proposition until you're used to it, it's the best I think you can do at that level. EMS sentry, Autocannon, Recoiless Rifle, Eagle Airstrike, Laser Guard Dog, EATs, and Grenade Launcher were all staples of my mid-level gameplay.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

TLDR; I'm level 13 playing with higher level friends: What's a versatile loadout consisting of, say, one eagle, one turret, one orbital?

Can some recommend some useful and versatile load outs for someone that's always lower level and with less play time than their friends? Im level 12, my friends are in the 30-50s, and they're always taking the lead and setting the pace, I just don't play the game nearly as much as they do.

So far I'm what I like the most is:

Breaker - I wish the other guns I had were worth taking , I try to experiment (liberator penetrator, laser rifle) and regret it

Small arms:
Auto Pistol - same, the starting pistol is irrelevant

Impact Grenade - it's the only thing can save me from the tougher enemies if I'm fresh out of the pod.

Support:
Grenade Launcher - great all around, mobile, powerful against anything less than a hulk/charger

Backpack - my go to backpack slot

Auto Cannon - also good and versatile, but I think I prefer it more against automatons

Recoilless Rifle - as above but for bugs, love to have one of these loaded when I see a charger.

What I'm really struggling with is fire support stratagems. I'd like to have One Versatile Loadout I always bring.

Let's assume I'm using a backpack fed support weapon and have three fire support stratagems. What's a versatile loadout consisting of, say, one eagle, one turret, one orbital?

So here's your stratagem situation:

Eagle: honestly you should consider 2x eagles and no orbitals for a while as your fire support. You get a lot more uptime and you can use them liberally against drops/bug holes while your teammates handle bigger threats and objectives.

As for which two it's honestly very flexible. Cluster Bombs put in serious work against big crowds, at the cost of not being able to dent heavy armor. But with a lot of call downs per rearm they really do get a lot of work done on, say, spewer heavy bug missions. Eagle Airstrike Classic is the most versatile: kills structures, heavy armor, small crowds, you name it. Should be a staple in your loadout for a while. Rocket Pods can be a consideration if the rest of your team's loadout is a little light on ways to deal with heavy targets. Napalm is a workhorse for bug missions, drop one on a bug hole after the first wave spawns, and you've basically locked it down for everything smaller than a charger. But don't bother bringing it for bots.

Turret: gatling for bugs (replace with autocannon once unlock it) mortar for bots. EMS mortar later on is the superior hard defence mortar (for missions like the Exterminate and TCS Towers)

Orbital: honestly don't bother until you get the Laser and the Railcannon. The Precision Strike is fine and if you insist on bringing one it should be this. The 110/380 barrages have a very niche case of being used to destroy bot objectives/outposts from a safe distance but are VASTLY outclassed by the Orbital Laser for this. Airburst is just a Cluster Bomb with 1/10th the uptime.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The orbital cluster barrage is probably the most newbie friendly strat in the game thanks to its input

-> -> ->

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Noobicide posted:

Has anyone else had trouble joining games the last few days? I'm stuck on "searching for active SOS beacon" indefinitely using quickplay no matter what time of day. Also can't join games on the map or have anyone join my games. This is on PC, not internet problems otherwise. I reinstalled, checked firewall, ran as admin, verified files, no luck...
What’s crossplay set to? Set to off if it isn’t

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

50 hours in and the only strategems I can dial without looking are reinforce and 500kg eagle lmao

Edit: Daily reminder to verify the integrity of your game files. I don't know if it actually fixed anything, but I crashed a lot less after replacing 3 corrupted files.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Spanish Manlove posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Riatsala posted:

50 hours in and the only strategems I can dial without looking are reinforce and 500kg eagle lmao

I'm so bad at the 500kg eagle. I feel like I need it to deploy way, way quicker. Yesterday's effect didn't help where it was like a 10s deployment.

Excellent for a first strike against a hive/factory/whatever tho

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

explosivo posted:

Yeah if there's anything that causes my friends to shout out "THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT" it's getting slowed down by hunters.

This. Its why I take shield, bugs just slow you too drat much (magnified by the "spawn right next to you" weirdness)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Airburst has delayed release of 3 explosions which gives it a slightly different use case than eagle cluster. you can throw it on top of a breech or behind you and you know the conga line is gonna get messed up.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

What’s crossplay set to? Set to off if it isn’t

I tried turning it off and on a few times. Will try keeping it off, thanks

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What was the trick to set up your m&kb binds such that you could sprint with the map open? I forget the particular combination to make that work.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

My friends and I are still only running 4's and starting to do 5's, but against bugs I'm all in with the flamethrower + shield pack plus airstrikes for clearing chaff and chargers since everyone else generally runs with GL and/or AC.

Definitely need to be proactive with the flamer and rely on direct damage as well as the burning ground, pretty much spraying until empty and falling back to reload. It feels good to be able to quickly roast a pack of medium-sized bugs or go charger hunting whenever they show up. I like the Punisher and Redeemer (on semi-auto) for cleaning up anything that gets close. If it's just one or two small bugs, I give them a punch in the face. Bile spewers kind of suck since it's almost a suicide pact, but the shield helps. Just burn them first.

I find that if you're triggering the maniacal laughter or other unhinged emotes from sustained firing, you're using the flamethrower correctly. Whether this holds up in big boy/girl difficulties I don't know, but it sure is helping us progress.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Bad Munki posted:

What was the trick to set up your m&kb binds such that you could sprint with the map open? I forget the particular combination to make that work.
Basically don't have either the map or sprint on shift or tab because pressing both opens up the Steam overlay. And then in-game open the map while sprinting and you won't slow down.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have only burnt myself to death by walking over flames, nothing has lit me on fire even when I'm puffing flame into their ugly faces. I also think flamethrowers seem to have locational damage against chargers, so I roast the poo poo out of their assholes and am usually able to pop their rear end in a top hat and kill them before the tank runs dry. Flamethrower is actually a very economical charger-killer.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
EAT + EMS Mortar + Mech + Orbital Railcannon + Stun Grenade is my go-to loadout for maximum team support. The railcannon can be kind of finicky but is usually really good at deleting exactly one charger or bile titan. Stun grenade is amazing for crowd control on heavies and breaches but you definitely need a team that is cohesive enough that you can get coverage on stuff like killing spewers and closing spawns. Mech is really good at being a front line power spike but I think it’s better as team support. Chilling with other divers and focusing priority targets really let’s you conserve ammo compared to just parking it in front of a breach and holding right mouse until everything is dead.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

jokes posted:

I have only burnt myself to death by walking over flames, nothing has lit me on fire even when I'm puffing flame into their ugly faces. I also think flamethrowers seem to have locational damage against chargers, so I roast the poo poo out of their assholes and am usually able to pop their rear end in a top hat and kill them before the tank runs dry. Flamethrower is actually a very economical charger-killer.
It definitely is locational yeah, the fire stream itself seems to do a ton of direct damage. For chargers I think the fastest most consistent kill is still hitting one (and only one) of the front legs. The head with the nerfs to its armor might be quicker but I haven't tried that much yet and its much harder to get fire time on it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Black Noise posted:

The fall damage never kills them but when you accidentally resupply jump your health bar better be full.

Their aim also doesnt seem to be affected by stagger. Ive staggered a rocket bot 5 feet away, watched its rocket launcher point sideways while firing, and had a missile hit me right in the face.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Lamquin posted:

I need someone to tell me I'm not the only dumbass trying to left-click the expanded minimap to mark a location while holding a grenade/loaded Airstrike stratagem in the hand, which results in me throwing the stratagem and killing my team.

This is the Helldiver equivalent of texting while driving and you deserve what you get.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've thrown impact grenades a lot because I let go of the stratagem button too early, causing my dude to switch to grenade (left on the D pad) and just yeet an impact grenade at my own feet

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish I loved anything as much as randos love 120/380mm barrages, jfc

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pTCxSWDXCY

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone saying the plasma punisher is decent is outright trolling at this point, much like penetrator fans.

I legit love the Plasma Punisher, it does decent damage, staggers everything in it blast radius, let’s you shoot enemies from behind cover, work especially well against heavy enemies which in turn lets me bring support weapons I normally ignore, like the stalward and flamethrower. Now that’s not to say it doesn’t have some big shortfall, the mag size just plain suck, it has a hard with dealing with hunters and jetpack equipped bots, and has a very steep learning curve. With that said, I think the advantages out weigh the disadvantages, and I’m going to continue using while having a blast doing so.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

Airburst has delayed release of 3 explosions which gives it a slightly different use case than eagle cluster. you can throw it on top of a breech or behind you and you know the conga line is gonna get messed up.
It also has a far more consistent splash within its AoE. Clusters seem to have a bit of random distribution when it comes to where the bomblets land, especially on uneven terrain. I take clusters close to 100% of the time to bug missions and while it's not exactly super common, more than once I've had a hunter or scavenger survive the cluster* despite being more in the splash radius than their buddies. Airburst, in my experience, tends to be more consistent.

It's not exactly a major issue with the clusters but it is something to keep in mind, especially if you're dropping it on a patrol for example, that you may need to do a little cleanup afterwards, while the airburst, so long as you actually catch everyone in the radius, you're pretty safe to just leave.

*I actually once managed to survive a cluster a friend threw too close to me where I got caught at the very edge of the radius and the bomblets ended up dropping with a perfect safe zone right where I was, and it was the most miraculous thing I've ever seen

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lamquin posted:

I need someone to tell me I'm not the only dumbass trying to left-click the expanded minimap to mark a location while holding a grenade/loaded Airstrike stratagem in the hand, which results in me throwing the stratagem and killing my team.

This is inconsistent behaviour Arrowhead! :argh:

Fun game otherwise.

This but when I'm in the mech

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i have tried the flamethrower again and again, and all of my friends gave it a spin when that kill 100 enemies with the flamethrower personal order popped a little bit ago

i just can not get that weapon to work and neither can anyone i know lol. against bots you never want to use it because you're fighting at range, and against terminids trying to use it mostly seems like a great way to get buried under a pile of bugs that briefly had fire particle effects coming off their limbs (seriously why the hell does the "on fire" status effect do nothing to anyone except helldivers, who die in half a second to it). anything above a hunter basically doesn't give a poo poo and even hunters just sort of leap at you before you can kill them and then you either swap to breaker or get eaten (may as well have just started with the breaker!). i've tried blazing fresh bug breaches and that has exclusively gotten me owned by bugs not dying before burying me, i've tried using it against chargers and found that if i'm in a situation where i can afford to stand/very slowly walk near a charger for 6+ seconds i'm in a situation where i could have just shot it in the butt with a grenade launcher/autocannon/EAT/RR/railgun for very similar results, i've tried flaming in bursts and found that whatever weapon i've been switching to (breaker) while running probably could have done the job better, i just do not understand how people are saying this thing is good.

is there like, extended gameplay footage of someone using it effectively on a high difficulty mission so i can reverse engineer the secret to making it not awful in actual combat scenarios that aren't "you vs a charger in an otherwise empty field"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 18, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The two bugs I would like to see fixed are the secondary not working and suddenly holding grenades for some reason. Also whatever spawning fuckery allows for 4 introductory Bile Titans on Extreme and only 1 on Suicide for the entire match.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Piell posted:

This but when I'm in the mech

The mech firing when you're trying to mark the map is bullshit, your normal weapons don't do that the mech shouldn't either.

Yeah I've killed myself this way, all the mech does is kill me faster.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Back Hack posted:

I legit love the Plasma Punisher, it does decent damage, staggers everything in it blast radius, let’s you shoot enemies from behind cover, work especially well against heavy enemies which in turn lets me bring support weapons I normally ignore, like the stalward and flamethrower. Now that’s not to say it doesn’t have some big shortfall, the mag size just plain suck, it has a hard with dealing with hunters and jetpack equipped bots, and has a very steep learning curve. With that said, I think the advantages out weigh the disadvantages, and I’m going to continue using while having a blast doing so.

I'm really loving it vs the Bots. Not sure where the hate is coming from.
It can shred an entire patrol in a magazine - and does VICIOUS NASTY THINGS to the underside of dropships if you're at a resonable angle.
I particularly love that it just ends striders immediately, no fuss. Devastators can maybe tank a few shots too many but they're big jerks in any case.

Vs bugs it's a different story, especially with hunters constantly being in your face where you can and will end yourself repeatedly.
I still main the fire shotgun vs bugs, especially now that the DOT is even stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This thread has opened my eyes to the EAT17. Thank you. Bless democracy.