Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Punished Chuck posted:

: Die 25 Times

I bought like 4 or 5 roguelikes in the Steam sale after this event got me hooked on them lol. Decided to use this one, Shattered Pixel Dungeons, as my first free pick since I'm not home this weekend and only have my Steam Deck and it's the only one that's verified on the deck. I assume most can be run on it without too much fiddling but hell why not stick with the easiest one until I get back to my computer tomorrow evening. It's pretty good, not super hooking me like ADOM or TOME but solid enough, and I know from the store page that there are like unlockable subclasses and stuff like that so maybe it improves as you get more into it--as the above screenshot shows I haven't made it past floor 4 yet so I've barely scratched the surface.

I didn't even know shattered pixel dungeon had a PC version. I've only every played in on my phone. Good game. I did it for my freestyle choice during Impmass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
my next pick is one of the best games of all time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thank you I got the tude now for selecting Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 as the next Game Club pick.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i almost did

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

: Acquire 2 Mystic Statues

Not enjoying this as much as Soulblazer for some reason

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

i believe in tude's pick.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vadun posted:

: Acquire 2 Mystic Statues

Not enjoying this as much as Soulblazer for some reason

The reason is soul blazer is better

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Soul Blazer's gameplay is tighter. Illusion of Gaia also makes a lot of questionable gameplay decisions like not giving the player enough opportunities to use the tools they've been given. Freedan's stun is a good example, you get it so late in the last dungeon before the game gives you Shadow and it only works if you're jumping off a ledge so it barely sees any use.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

rodbeard posted:

I didn't even know shattered pixel dungeon had a PC version. I've only every played in on my phone. Good game. I did it for my freestyle choice during Impmass.

I hadn’t heard of it before checking the “traditional roguelike” tag on Steam once the sale started so I didn’t realize it was a phone game originally, that makes a lot of sense though since with the way the UI was set up I was thinking that touch controls probably would be a way better way to play than controller, if I had a screen protector on my deck and wasn’t worried about fingerprints. The art style is cute and I’m interested in seeing how all the subclasses etc play, I’m definitely keen to play more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Soul Blazer's gameplay is tighter. Illusion of Gaia also makes a lot of questionable gameplay decisions like not giving the player enough opportunities to use the tools they've been given. Freedan's stun is a good example, you get it so late in the last dungeon before the game gives you Shadow and it only works if you're jumping off a ledge so it barely sees any use.

i think soul blazer is just like that because it doesn't give you any abilities really, though. you get one spell every new place but most of them aren't that useful, and even though the weapons and armor officially have abilities, you're mostly going to just use the one with the most attack/defense. it's all crab walking, swinging, and deciding whether you want the double-attack bracelet or the double-defense bracelet.

i think where i'm landing is that soul blazer lets itself be weirder? illusion of gaia is sort of real-world adjacent but stuff like the smoke people, Riverson and the Village of Angels is more interesting than what real-world analogue city erik can't find the bathroom in. soul blazer is filled with talking dogs, mermaids, mushroom gnomes, and a big haunted house filled with excitable furniture. and instead of a big diary entry at each place, each of them just has like one SNES word balloon saying bizarre poo poo like "even though i am just a goat, i sometimes feel an intense longing." that the protagonist of soul blazer is mostly a blank slate works better for quintet's thing than a Chosen One teenager, maybe.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Need to finish Soul Blazer.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

my next pick is one of the best games of all time

it is. I hope everybody has a ZX Spectrum up and running

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Think I'm gonna start playing trunk crawl since I heard you can get shapeshifting talismans from scrolls of acquirement in it

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

and instead of a big diary entry at each place, each of them just has like one SNES word balloon saying bizarre poo poo like "even though i am just a goat, i sometimes feel an intense longing."

lol. soul blazer ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Game 3-12

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (GC/PS2/XBOX/PC) - 2003 - Deadline 3/27/24 11:59EST

Deceived by the treacherous Vizier, I was led to unleash the Sands of Time curse upon the Sultan's kingdom. With little but an ancient dagger and a devious princess to aid me, I must undo my fatal mistake. Mine is a fight for survival... not glory.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is a 3D platformer which focuses on acrobatics and agility. Throughout much of the game, the player must attempt to traverse the palace by running across walls, ascending or descending chasms by jumping back and forth between walls, avoiding traps, climbing structures and jumping from platform to platform, making other types of well-timed leaps, solving puzzles, and using discovered objects to progress.

lol:

FYI this game is pretty tough, actually. and you will have a hard time with a lot of the Levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Dznhw-fOU

Link to the game manual:

Trophies:

: Get the Dagger of Time
: Beat the game
: Get maximum Health
: Get maximum Sand

:siren:Game starts 3/21/24 12AM EST:siren:

Thanks to I got the tude now for the game and trophy picks, and good luck imps!

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

hell yeah.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
*checks to make sure tude isn’t IK anymore*

loving hell.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cool

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

American McGay posted:

*checks to make sure tude isn’t IK anymore*

loving hell.

Lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i've never played this and i've always heard it's an all-timer. hope it runs well on the Retroid 3+

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sands of time was insane when it released. It's the blueprint for so many game mechanics that other franchises are built on. I can't wait to see how it holds up after comparing other games to it for two decades. Also, the sequels all suck poo poo lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

For some reason I only played Warrior Within and Two Thrones and just never got around to this one. I liked Two Thrones so let's finally give this one a go

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

For some reason I only played Warrior Within and Two Thrones and just never got around to this one. I liked Two Thrones so let's finally give this one a go

Warrior Within expands on the Sands of Time gameplay very slightly, in exchange for introducing impossibly bad vibes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I cannot imagine the kind of decision making that led to Warrior Within.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Oh hell yeah! I haven't played this since it was new. Killer pick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Warrior Within expands on the Sands of Time gameplay very slightly, in exchange for introducing impossibly bad vibes.

I couldn't take it seriously even when I was 12 but I liked the gameplay (other than stupid poo poo like the chariot racing minigame) and vibe of Two Thrones. I think I remember people saying it was a good middle ground between the two, but in retrospect I'm not sure "this game is the middle ground between a good one and a bad one" is a great selling point

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Every 3d Prince of Persia has a gigantic flaw of some sort but sands of time probably comes out the most unscathed. Sands acts like a successor to the original with the amount of detail in the princes’ animations, they might be the most complex on the ps2.

Sands biggest problem is the tedious combat which is used to stretch out time between puzzle/platforming challenges. There’s even some mechanical depth, the dagger powers are cool but not as effective as acrobatic moves and enemies have no problem hanging up on you.

The best advice I can give when people get tired of the combat is that the acrobatic sword attacks will knock down any enemy in one hit, but you have to use the right one rps style.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I couldn't take it seriously even when I was 12 but I liked the gameplay (other than stupid poo poo like the chariot racing minigame) and vibe of Two Thrones. I think I remember people saying it was a good middle ground between the two, but in retrospect I'm not sure "this game is the middle ground between a good one and a bad one" is a great selling point

It’s pretty good, I feel like it’s lacking the magic the narrative and platforming have in sands and the combat is barely an upgrade. I don’t think combat is what makes PoP a great series but at the time you had to have it in a mainstream game even though 3d action combat was still pretty rough outside of like dmc

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I cannot imagine the kind of decision making that led to Warrior Within.

Listening to korn one time

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I love Sands. still remember the feeling of awe the first time I stumbled into a magic fountain. prince's clothing slowly getting shredded as the story progresses is such a cool detail. game's atmosphere is goated

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

: Beat it

Jupiter Hell is real good. I feel like mods and the lack of assemblies were a step back from Doom RL, but everything else is better

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thinking about it I didn't necessarily like the way drl limits inventory and kind of pushes towards weapon specialization. Doesn't feel as Doomy as carrying the whole arsenal and using the right tool for each job

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol

pretend I posted this lol before the actual game was posted

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
"something everybody loves that I've been meaning to get around to for 20 years" gotta be one my favorite flavors of game club. well done tude

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've never played a Prince of Persia and always meant to, this'll be the push I need.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The combat isn't even that bad in PoPSoT, it's definitely no DMC or Ninja Gaiden but it's perfectly fine with some cool stuff you can do. The problem is every encounter has far, far too many enemies, and eating poo poo on enemy #49/50 means starting over at enemy #1 and if you're really lucky rewatching a cutscene while you're at it. I still love it so much that I've bought every 3D Prince since and made it maybe an hour in all of them combined lol.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
it's a game that I Think People Should Play because it's the first parkour game and it instantly became part of the fabric of game design. it's mechanics are similarly influential on gaming trends as things like halo, modern warfare, re1, re4 but due to the series' tendancy to have deeply flawed aspects in their game design and management from ubisoft it falls far short of other games in terms of cultural impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

welcome posted:

The combat isn't even that bad in PoPSoT, it's definitely no DMC or Ninja Gaiden but it's perfectly fine with some cool stuff you can do. The problem is every encounter has far, far too many enemies, and eating poo poo on enemy #49/50 means starting over at enemy #1 and if you're really lucky rewatching a cutscene while you're at it. I still love it so much that I've bought every 3D Prince since and made it maybe an hour in all of them combined lol.

i agree, i'm only so hard on the combat because i've played it close to 10 times, many of which was in one setting. the flow of platforming and puzzles is so crisp and having to chug through two dozen enemies one at a time is incongruous with the game's strengths.