Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
From everything I’ve heard (gently caress no I’m not watching Afterlife) it’s a movie for people who cry when they see the Ghostbusters logo and holds it up as nigh unto a holy text, not a sequel to a movie where a man gets a blowjob from a ghost.

Plus they CGI dead Harold Ramis into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's tempting to call the Ghostbuster legacy sequel stuff insane but that way oversells it, pathetic is more the word I'd use.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's tempting to call the Ghostbuster legacy sequel stuff insane but that way oversells it, pathetic is more the word I'd use.

It’s one of the sadder (pathetic not bloobloo i remember Egon) nostaliga farming attempts by studios which is a pretty loving low bar to begin with. Feels like studio panicking from the reaction from GB16

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Going to put on Magic Crystal tonight in https://goontu.be/, 8pm ET.

Hong Kong flick that's clearly ripping on a lot of the more popular films of that era, recently re-released by Vinegar Syndrome.

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDvNOzpbM8
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did; I saw it I guess about 3 months ago. The comedy goes through corny and out the other end to become something downright weird, while the fighting is solid.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

From everything I’ve heard (gently caress no I’m not watching Afterlife) it’s a movie for people who cry when they see the Ghostbusters logo and holds it up as nigh unto a holy text, not a sequel to a movie where a man gets a blowjob from a ghost.
When I pointed out that the post-2016 movies don't seem to be marketed as comedies, someone on here was so offended that they edited a bunch of fart noises into the Ghostbusters trailer and were like "Here's your precious 'jokes,' rear end in a top hat!" Very strange.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll have you know Dan Aykroyd getting a ghost blowjob is very serious

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

It’s one of the sadder (pathetic not bloobloo i remember Egon) nostaliga farming attempts by studios which is a pretty loving low bar to begin with. Feels like studio panicking from the reaction from GB16

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It might seem crass now, but it’s gonna be epic when the other three actors die.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

I finally watched Gusti the Strong and I laughed heartily. Fantastic!

Thanks a lot.

It'll screen in Boston next weekend and I'm excited to see how an American audience reacts. Hopefully by laughing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hot take - none of the Ghostbusters films are that amazing and it is wild that people treat it as some sacred franchise that has been "ruined" by the modern films.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mordiceius posted:

Hot take - none of the Ghostbusters films are that amazing and it is wild that people treat it as some sacred franchise that has been "ruined" by the modern films.

I don’t think anyone here thinks the sequels have ruined Ghostbusters, it’s just that making reverent sequels to a movie where Dan Akroyd gets dome from a ghost and Bill Murray clearly does not want to be there is the worst kind of nostalgia bait our culture is in the dying throes of.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ghostbusters has a cultural legacy of being a classic but it's more of a Porkys-tier movie tbh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The corporate drive to wring every last bit of nostalgia from any franchise too old for middle-schoolers to remember is pathetic and grotesque, yes.

And I don't mean "nostalgia" in the sense of "people will buy thing because they remember thing," but the actual feelings of maudlin sentimentality. Old video games just aren't that important.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m gonna clap and hoot like a seal when Finn Wolfhard calls someone dickless.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Thanks a lot.

It'll screen in Boston next weekend and I'm excited to see how an American audience reacts. Hopefully by laughing.

I take it you'll be there? That's super cool!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's also worth noting that the last ghostbusters was made by Jason Reitman, so there's more than a little "proving something to Dad/living up to Dad's legacy" kind of thing going on there.

Also I like Jason Reitman generally but there was just nothing in his background beyond his last name that indicated he could make a movie like Ghostbusters. Up until that point he had done nothing but satires and contemplative, naval-gazey indie dramadies (which I guess the last Ghostbusters kinda was.)

I mean, say what you will about Paul Feig's Ghostbusters, at least that guy regularly makes character-heavy action-comedies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

... a movie where... Bill Murray clearly does not want to be there...

Isn't that most movies with Bill Murray?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Ghostbusters and I enjoyed Afterlife. But I also don’t like have any part in the fandom. Ghostbusters is a movie I like and have watched a bunch. That’s it. I mean when I was a kid I watched a cartoon and had toys and comics too. But I’m an adult and it’s just a movie I like. And Afterlife was a movie that I also liked that called back to the movie I really liked. And I don’t have a problem with that. And I’m looking forward to the new one. I’m also not buying Slimer popcorn buckets or something. I’m just watching a movie.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I gotta say, Netflix trying to play big on anime loving sucks rear end because whatever they do for their subtitles just doesn’t work. They can only show one subtitle onscreen at a time, which means if a character’s talking while important Japanese text is on the screen (like, say, Stone Ocean episode names or in the big Seele office with the pendulum), you just won’t get that translation. They’ve paid big bucks on anime, getting exclusives from Trigger and the worldwide streaming rights to Jojo and Eva have got to be expensive, but their service just isn’t built for it.

Streaming service subs suck in general. One non-us regions they'll have one or maybe two subtitle tracks per film, and sometimes forced dubs. They must have the original audio and subs for loads of languages, why do they restrict them so much?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

. I’m also not buying Slimer popcorn buckets or something.

Of course not, I would never cheat on my DUNC popcorn bucket

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the cineD consensus on the former mr madonna Guy Richie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Lock, Stock is still a fun movie imo. Of his later hack era, uh i guess Wrath of Man was alright?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The entire reason I'm not fond of the modern films is because they treat Ghostbusters like a sacred franchise when it was a slightly raunchy comedy about a buncha slob scientists.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ghostbusters shouldn't be treated as a "franchise" at all. It was a great movie that got one lame sequel five years later and should have just remained as such.

the juiceboxes were pretty sick though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was the cartoon that kept it in kids minds long enough to get this far

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffleman_ posted:

The entire reason I'm not fond of the modern films is because they treat Ghostbusters like a sacred franchise when it was a slightly raunchy comedy about a buncha slob scientists.

This

I love Ghostbusters. I’d like to see more ghostbusters because a team of goofy guys fighting ghosts sounds like it’s ripe for fun set pieces

But this bullshit nostalgia poo poo? It ain’t it bro

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CelticPredator posted:

This

I love Ghostbusters. I’d like to see more ghostbusters because a team of goofy guys fighting ghosts sounds like it’s ripe for fun set pieces

But this bullshit nostalgia poo poo? It ain’t it bro

I agree!

I feel like this whole situation has two failings.

1 - You get studios recreating incredibly bad sequels as nostalgia bait.
2 - You get fans of the originals that are made then movies are made that aren't nostalgia bait.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Okay I'm going to throw an odd duck into the pond and say watched Before I Change My Mind this week.

I have a love/hate relationship with coming-of-age films but this one left me just puzzled. There are some really cool shots. It's innovative in bringing the unfiltered realism of Eighth Grade with a bit of a Wes Anderson flair? The kid who creates the love triangle is spectacular. Both as a character and how the actress played the role. But it ended ??? Like, it didn't really have an ending let a satisfying one. Not even 'this was just a glimpse into these peoples' lives' ending.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

GateOfD posted:

What did people think of the previous Ghostbuster movie with the new kid gang?
I see another one is coming out this week.

Some parts are fun and interesting but too much fan service and ghost ramis

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

He released two films last year. Operation Fortune is one of the worst films I've ever seen in theatres. The Covenant was surprisingly good, had a well shot shootout and a compelling performance from Gyllenhaal and his co lead.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Rust posted:

I didn't realize he was so hated and then I realized I've only seen five Ritchie movies, that I think are considered "the good ones"

Lock Stock and Snatch from his indie days, Sherlock 1/2 and Man From UNCLE from the blockbuster years. Man from UNCLE kicks rear end and it's a shame it got buried in a bunch of other spy stuff (and Armie Hammer being a weirdo) so it will never get revisited.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember there was a thread here a few years ago about Ghostbusters that was just pages and pages and pages of gushing about the color palette, staging, prop work, all the little details of visuals, just screenshot after screenshot after screenshot, the OP just kept raving for months about it and I was more or less on board because I assumed anyone going to that degree of art-book intensity either knew a whole bunch I didn't, or was doing a really, really dedicated bit

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mordiceius posted:

I hate the modern films because I wish Ghostbusters had just died and not haunted us forever

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Imagining a 2000s Judd Apatow Ghostbusters starring Seth Rogen

E: Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd (still), Jonah Hill, and Chris Rock

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 18, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jay Rust posted:

His King Arthur movie is one pretty great fantasy movie and one pretty good movie of his regular cast of characters in medieval Camelot but those parts don't really come together.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are there currently fewer big name younger actors than there were in the past of am I just old and out of touch or both?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

And by younger lets say under 30 or under 25

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
if you ever have to ask if you're out of touch the answer is always yes

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jay Rust posted:

Hit & Miss

- working title of guy Ritchie's upcoming 2025 film

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are there currently fewer big name younger actors than there were in the past of am I just old and out of touch or both?

Bad news fri3nd

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mr Hootington posted:

Bad news fri3nd

Myopic Nostalgia, it's not just for boomers! Order yours today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like Florence Pugh, Tim chalamet, zendaya, and holland.

And the skars