Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StealthArcher posted:

Idiot probably unironically jerks off to the "Quebecois are the true N* of North America" book, so unsurprising.

That book was mostly about how the Québécois should work with black folk and other colonized people with solidarity and poo poo. The author really really regrets the name now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

That book was mostly about how the Québécois should work with black folk and other colonized people with solidarity and poo poo. The author really really regrets the name now.

bet they're real happy about getting wendy mesley fired, though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arivia posted:

bet they're real happy about getting wendy mesley fired, though

Well, technically, the author regretted the name before he died in 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Valli%C3%A8res

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah... I'm thinking I am

hell yeah brother

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

probably the most annoying clip of him I’ve seen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Singh and the NDP are going to put forward a motion in the House today calling for a ceasefire and recognition of a Palestinian state. So expect a bunch of people to show their whole rear end this afternoon across news and social media.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I kind of thought that was part of his appeal, or failing that, utility to the LPC and by extension ruling class.

There's no substance to him. If liberally inclined people want to see progressivism, he can be that, if they want to see youth, charm, charisma, he's that too. Until recently, he was a family man, and his divorce barely made a ripple in his public image. If people want to see Canada taking charge in the world stage, or showing compassion for the global south, he can give soundbites on Ukraine or some country Canadian mining interests are impoverishing and they'll come away thinking that.

I was thinking of the Trucker thing, and I can't recall anything he said or did.

I will say his glowing reference to Canada as the world's first post-nation state is bone chilling, but other than that, he's the same as he's always been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B8IrpWVaoE

I didn't even know he got divorced lol. Mostly because who cares he's just a figurehead for mining companies the oil sands and whatever our American masters order us to care about this week. Empty void of a person is right

Chillyrabbit posted:

I feel uncomfortable with the lionization of her because it's held up as a story of the RCMP doing the right things during Portapique when there was a poo poo load of things they did wrong before, during and after the event.

Especially because one of the reasons she met the gunman while redeploying with Cst. Chad Morrison was because the RCMP asked for 2 carbines trained officers to assist them because they thought they cornered him somewhere else.

Yeah I mean she's a cop so who cares. She did make the only actual good decision that day when she blocked the bridges over the Shubenacadie River so gold star for that incredibly obvious move. Also lol the carbine officers, like that one pair of Mounties that spent the day of the massacre shooting up an emergency evacuation centre and then almost opening fire on some Halifax city cops

And none of the actual day of decisions matter anywhere near as much as the fact that the Mounties knew Whorton, knew he liked beating women and owned 1000 guns, knew he was obsessed with cops. It's a joke, a smokescreen to cover for the horrendous incompetency and apathy of the Mounties that allowed Portapique to happen. And nobody has learned anything lol, nobody cares about the recommendations in the big report (reform is a scam anyway but you';d expect libs to care), the only result has been charging a victim with aiding the massacre and cops from coast to coast getting bigger budgets and more guns. HGell yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mayor of Vaughan Steven Del Duca considers bylaw that prohibits protests within 100 metres of places of worship.

Couldn't imagine what this is about, no sir.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Femtosecond posted:

It's pretty amazing that we had a Big Change election that got those guys a full majority and they immediately just shifted into neutral and are utterly maintaining the status quo and doing nothing. They're still in the early term when they should be spending political capital on things they want to do, but yea apparent that they don't actually have any ideological goals and so they're already in the mode of doing irrelevant vanity projects like adding a big Vancouver sign for tourists and trialing a scooter share program.

I don't think their supporters even really care tbh. There was a "vibe" driven from CKNW misinfo that Mayor Stewart was useless, things were going down hill and he needed to be gone and now he is and Vancouver Is Back. The fact that nothing has actually changed in any way whatsoever doesn't really matter.

I mean Stewart voted against the Parking Tax that ABC ran on never implementing, both last council and this one have approved every apartment proposal that has come across their desk, and ABC voted to approve the Missing Middle 4/6plex proposal that Stewart kickstarted. There's no policy differences!

The only thing ABC has really achieve is hired 100 more useless cops which caused them budget problems that resulted in them having to raise taxes by over 9%.

The mayor also chugged a beer once

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i miss rob ford

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CLAM DOWN posted:

i miss rob ford

AV + Post

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CLAM DOWN posted:

i miss rob ford

you really need to work on that aim, it's not like he's a moving target

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

I didn't even know he got divorced lol. Mostly because who cares he's just a figurehead for mining companies the oil sands and whatever our American masters order us to care about this week. Empty void of a person is right

Yeah I mean she's a cop so who cares. She did make the only actual good decision that day when she blocked the bridges over the Shubenacadie River so gold star for that incredibly obvious move. Also lol the carbine officers, like that one pair of Mounties that spent the day of the massacre shooting up an emergency evacuation centre and then almost opening fire on some Halifax city cops

And none of the actual day of decisions matter anywhere near as much as the fact that the Mounties knew Whorton, knew he liked beating women and owned 1000 guns, knew he was obsessed with cops. It's a joke, a smokescreen to cover for the horrendous incompetency and apathy of the Mounties that allowed Portapique to happen. And nobody has learned anything lol, nobody cares about the recommendations in the big report (reform is a scam anyway but you';d expect libs to care), the only result has been charging a victim with aiding the massacre and cops from coast to coast getting bigger budgets and more guns. HGell yeah

Wortman was a police informant and they didn't want to reveal this for some reason, or even warn people about exactly what was going on, so they let all those people die instead. Your life is worth less than some very minor state secret. Good to remember!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Someone was smuggling drugs for the RCMP over the border that's why

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

CLAM DOWN posted:

i miss rob ford

Fried Watermelon posted:

smuggling drugs for the RCMP

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1769874560873066902

loving worthless.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the only thing in that motion that would have mattered, cool

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

for the middle class with statehood and those hoping to join them

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

the only thing in that motion that would have mattered, cool

none of its matters tbh

they should still do it but

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dti
dta
dtc

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/aballinga/status/1596157230017286144

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Arc Hammer posted:

loving worthless.

lol incredible.

You know, before when I was saying "bring back Social Credit", I thought we should discard some of their views... but now? Well, we'd at least recognize Palestine, I can tell you that much.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I am rapidly descending from cynicism to outright hatred of our political class

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

I am rapidly descending from cynicism to outright hatred of our political class

Welcome brother

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

wait, what the hell does he think protests are for?

loving liberals

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
going to a protest with my trusty "things are great, don't change a thing" sign

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he's right though. politics is the means through which we actually affect public policy. protesting can apply pressure but any real gains have to be achieved by capturing direct political power and wielding it. protesting is just another filter we've added to democratic governing that dilutes class tensions.

this is actually easier to achieve in canada than in most places because of our fptp system means you only need ~35% of the popular vote to have a majority which lets you do whatever you want for four-five years.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Dreylad posted:

he's right though. politics is the means through which we actually affect public policy. protesting can apply pressure but any real gains have to be achieved by capturing direct political power and wielding it. protesting is just another filter we've added to democratic governing that dilutes class tensions.

this is actually easier to achieve in canada than in most places because of our fptp system means you only need ~35% of the popular vote to have a majority which lets you do whatever you want for four-five years.

unless you're a communist party. for all of talk of being a democratic countrry, i don't forget that they banned the communist party when it was getting popular, and also tried to seize all their assets after the fall of communism that resulted in a successful charter challenge.

there is a good party and they do run candidates in the bigger cities....they're electable if you just vote for them!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Statehood for the Middle East and those working to (not) get it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

wait, what the hell does he think protests are for?

loving liberals

he was referring to the trucker moron protest demanding the government resign so illiterate fucknuts could run the show

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

flakeloaf posted:

he was referring to the trucker moron protest demanding the government resign so illiterate fucknuts could run the show

Yes, but he would treat any other protest, say about housing or healthcare, and certainly pipeline protests, the same way.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

the guy who protested himself doesn’t understand protests. shocking.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wish he would have, in this case

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
also gently caress the ndp

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yes, but he would treat any other protest, say about housing or healthcare, and certainly pipeline protests, the same way.

https://montecristomagazine.com/com...mhzKuQtEMFqdgNs

that article posted:

“We’re taking over the Hotel Vancouver—sit tight.”

On Saturday, January 26, 1946, sergeant-at-arms Bob McEwen led 35 former servicemen and women from the Legion Hall to the old Hotel Vancouver. After announcing his intentions to the hotel security guard, McEwen and the other veterans swarmed inside and occupied the building. By 10 p.m., 100 veterans with their spouses and children were lodged within the hotel. In a time grimly familiar to our own⁠—when a booming population, limited housing supply, increased immigration, and official inaction squeezed the housing market to its limit⁠—this startling occupation forced a reluctant government to address the city’s postwar housing crisis, leading to affordable housing for veterans and their families.

Did you know about this? thought it was interesting, especially with your posts about the sorry state of the current housing situation for soldiers.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I believe there's a Heritage Minute about that one.

Crazy to think Canada had a social contract once.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I believe there's a Heritage Minute about that one.

Crazy to think Canada had a social contract once.

yeah, look at this quote.
"Asked in 2006 about the protest he led on that snowy Saturday in January 1946, Bob McEwen reflected, “I think you’d be slapped in jail pretty quick if you did that today.”

Crazy. I was talking to some old british dude when i was lifeguarding once and he told me some story of him getting arrested at a protest and the one cop just let him go because he kind of believed in what they were protesting, and that he didn't think that would happen these days.
Although i did get stopped at a austerity protest whilst wearing a mask (it's pretty funny to me that you could be arrested for wearing a mask in a crowd and then covid happened) and i attempted to appeal to the fact that the police themselves were wearing their own pants as a protest against austerity themselves and he just sent me home, so maybe i'm just lucky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

More and more I become a Québécois Separatist as a means to destroy Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

More and more I become a Québécois Separatist as a means to destroy Canada.

same but BC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
BC is full of horrors as well I was at the gas station and some dude said 'nice jeep', then 'nice to see another white guy' cool cool