Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Gwely Mernans posted:

Goro's definitely coming back as part timer NEET's mentor when he falls into the VN rabbit hole and decides to make his own

In about 10 years

Are you confusing Gorou with Oda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Touru is using plain/familiar language here. Obviously, this is pretty hard to capture in English, but at least I could drop the "Mr." to show this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Brother Make posted:

Touru is using plain/familiar language here. Obviously, this is pretty hard to capture in English, but at least I could drop the "Mr." to show this.

If there's one thing I learned from the amateur romhacking translation scene in the 90s, it's that using overly familiar language in Japanese correlates exactly to English swearing. I have taken the liberty of correcting your translation to reflect this more accurately.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

the holy poopacy posted:

If there's one thing I learned from the amateur romhacking translation scene in the 90s, it's that using overly familiar language in Japanese correlates exactly to English swearing. I have taken the liberty of correcting your translation to reflect this more accurately.

gently caress, now I'm having flashbacks to reading/watching who even knows. Why do weebs have to be so...nevermind, I think I've already answered my own question.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oddly I once met a Japanese guy who took this in the opposite direction when speaking English. If he was familiar with you he’d drop 2 or 3 F-bombs per sentence.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Brother Make posted:

what the?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

"this ROM fucks like a tiger"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Appoda posted:

I like how he's just completely forgotten about Goro.

Devils Affricate posted:

Are you confusing Gorou with

(source)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Brother Make posted:

This is an incredibly interesting cultural difference to me. In America, talking like this is routinely done by pretty much anyone to some on the first day of their job, usually to help someone feel included and fit in. In Japan, doing it at the wrong time can be completely shocking to someone.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

(probably an honorifics issue but still)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hyphz posted:

Oddly I once met a Japanese guy who took this in the opposite direction when speaking English. If he was familiar with you he’d drop 2 or 3 F-bombs per sentence.

Hell, same

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Brother Make posted:

Would it be accurate to the sentiment to be like, "Murota, my dude, here's today's rom" or is that too familiar

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

he's gonna get banned, huh.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

someone awful. posted:

he's gonna get banned, huh.

I have no idea, but I feel like backup monitor #1 oughta be sweating bullets right now

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chrispurple posted:

I have no idea, but I feel like backup monitor #1 oughta be sweating bullets right now
Lol

And yeah, my guess is still insta-ban

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

the holy poopacy posted:

Thank you, I'll update the translation!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Would it be accurate to the sentiment to be like, "Murota, my dude, here's today's rom" or is that too familiar

Yeah, I guess. Or maybe like "Murota, ROM 'ere!"

Umbreon posted:

This is an incredibly interesting cultural difference to me. In America, talking like this is routinely done by pretty much anyone to some on the first day of their job, usually to help someone feel included and fit in. In Japan, doing it at the wrong time can be completely shocking to someone.

You've probably never tried using familiar English language with a coworker. Try using "thou" and you'll get some kind of reaction.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Unfortunate forehead

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

i predict that he goes instantly to jail the moment he posts

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, just because the auctions are there doesn't mean you won't get banned. Pretty sure professional RMT sellers expect their accounts to get shut down fairly regularly, it's just considered a business expense.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Couldn't he at least start a new account to give all his money to and sell from there? It's still blindingly obvious but at least he can try and argue when his main account gets banned.

...he won't, but it's at least an idea.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cat Hatter posted:

he can try...he won't
That's our NEET!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cat Hatter posted:

Couldn't he at least start a new account to give all his money to and sell from there? It's still blindingly obvious but at least he can try and argue when his main account gets banned.

...he won't, but it's at least an idea.

This seems like it'd be incredibly obvious to trace

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mr. Lobe posted:

This seems like it'd be incredibly obvious to trace

Incredibly. But telling support that you gave all your money to a new player (with the same IP address) to be nice and then they went and tried to sell it is at least slightly better than them having you dead to rights selling from your main account.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's a risky play in a game you love and built your whole life around. It seems self-destructive. But maybe it's the last vestige of good neet trying to break him free from the addiction that's ruining his life.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
wanna see him line up several monitors and punch through all of em at once

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

It is worth mentioning that the discomfort from a lack of formality is partially fueled by these people having become coworkers only recently. Especially if Tohru is in a position of superiority as a manager - even if only slightly - it’s not unthinkable that as they become more familiar and on closer terms, he might use casual language without causing tension*.

* fun fact: “tension”, used as a loan word テンション, refers only to feelings of excitement and high energy, and is a positive term. Not applicable to what I wrote of course

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
.. thank you for accidentally explaining why the “tension meter” in fighting games is a power up

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Hatsune Mike posted:

* fun fact: “tension”, used as a loan word テンション, refers only to feelings of excitement and high energy, and is a positive term. Not applicable to what I wrote of course

Incidentally, テンションが上がる tenshon ga agaru is a phrase that comes up an awful lot in this comic. It has the literal meaning "tensions rise/increase", but like you said, it's more like "to get excited, to get hyped".

I'll have a comic shortly, just wanted to comment here.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

End of Page 51

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 19, 2024

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Goro posted a buy order before he left

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Omg if he actually gets banned for rmt on his main, loving lol

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hatsune Mike posted:

It is worth mentioning that the discomfort from a lack of formality is partially fueled by these people having become coworkers only recently. Especially if Tohru is in a position of superiority as a manager - even if only slightly - it’s not unthinkable that as they become more familiar and on closer terms, he might use casual language without causing tension*.

Doesn't Neet still call his boss Mr.?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pnumoman posted:

Omg if he actually gets banned for rmt on his main, loving lol

His life can only go uphill from there, right?

... right?

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

This was apparently so uncommon a word that it came with pronunciation characters. I wish we had those far more often, trying to look up kanji is usually a pain.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

He gets stressed real easy, doesn't he

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Here lies Tohru
Made a cringe joke and died

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN