Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hannibal Rex posted:

Half a joke?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any Fremen djinn stories from the books. So Villeneuve included it for a reason.

That reason being, to give Paul's visions a sinister undertone.

Maybe someone who's going to watch it again can pay attention to how well this reading aligns. I don't see any other purpose for the djinn story, unless it's setup for part 3, and Alia.

I took it more as just a consistency of Stilgar's faith compared to others likely having the more mechanical understanding of lots of spice+walking around the desert=you might see some poo poo.

So it's foreshadowing of the new ending with Chani. Like Paul to me still has good intentions at that point overall, but instead of looking to the obvious around him when Chani is there to help him out he assumes and calls to Jamis instead. She's at the highest point in the shot too like Jamis advises also, her credentials are there, but of the two he's already hoping for the more zealous of them.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
While flipping through the Dune Encylopedia I did actually find a "Fremen myth" about Paul's time in the desert where he has to outwit a djinn who has captured him for dinner, and in doing so, learns the ways of the desert. So... there's that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's extra great because it's a completely fitting metaphor. Dammit, now I want to see Surf Dune. Wave? Or just Point Break? Or Avatar 2.

It also nicely parallels with the penultimate sequence in Part 1 where he tucks in the ornithopter's wings and just rides with sandstorm's currents. Thinking about it, both scenes have this moment where all the sound and chaos ceases and we're left with transcendent silence as Paul soars over the desert.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Philthy posted:

For me it was the pacing. The first movie took it's time, and slowly pulled the curtains to every scene and introduction. In this one, it was like Chef Emeril was producing it. BAM here is a scene for 1 minute BAM here's paul going to BAM here is BAM a worm BAM chani is angry BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM credits. It was so jarring to me. All those scenes were amazing, but holy poo poo my brain was going to explode.

This is how I felt too. The movie was visually amazing and had incredible sound design, and seeing it in an iSense theater was definitely worth the extra cost. I thought it was for the most part excellently acted and brilliantly shot, but the movie itself felt like a three hour montage. I can get why they made the choices they did, but it honestly felt like they had six hours of movie and only three hours to squeeze them into.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kyle MacLachlan would of been a great Emperor. Not just because of the stunt casting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Just saw the movie, really enjoyed it. I've never really had any exposure to Dune other than pop culture so my one big question after seeing it is how do they get off the worms?

Very carefully.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The djinn are, as far as I can recall, not in the books but do serve a narrative purpose here and help add something back in from the Fremen faith being distantly descended from Islam. So they're a neat addition! I like the idea, it feels like it belongs.

breadshaped posted:

My info my be incorrect but

water is essentially toxic for a sandworm in high quantities. However, miniscule quantities of water are important to create spice. A dose of water so high as being thrown into a pool means the creation of a highly raw, concentrated and toxic form of the water of life, what would instead become spice in the miniscule quantities of the desert sands.

Without getting deep into the weeds, you've got it basically right. The full details are part of the book's plot and informs Paul's plan to destroy the spice if he doesn't get his way, which works rather differently than "nuke the spice fields," but it would've been a bit much to include in an already packed movie.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I understand why they changed his threat to “I’ll nuke the spice fields” in the film, because they’re desperately trying to streamline this thing, and it’s NBD really - but it is sort of a shame, as it shifts the emphasis from Paul winning by embracing Fremen ecological knowledge to Paul winning by ducal advantage.

It also begs the question of why no one (e.g. Leto) has thought of that before. Or couldn’t the unscrupulous Harkonnens have seized the throne via the same tactic years ago?

Although, thinking about it, I guess a) going by the film alone, you could assume that the Atreides are the only house with a stockpile of atomics, right? and b) all the other houses immediately declare war in the film, so I guess Paul’s nuclear gambit doesn’t actually work…

Anyway, in other news, I was looking at the screenplay for DUNC1, and I can’t believe they cut some great lines like this one:

quote:

DUNCAN
Whew! Okay! Not gonna die!
(Points to his beard)
I shave for no man!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Lobster Henry posted:

going by the film alone, you could assume that the Atreides are the only house with a stockpile of atomics, right?

I'm pretty sure "Every great house has a stockpile of atomics" is a line in the movie.

No one has previously held the galaxy hostage in the way Paul does because all the major political players have confined their thinking to the traditional rules and customs of the imperium. It's one of the main themes of the book – that when a system of power is in decline, the people fighting for control of it rarely recognize how fragile those mores are, and someone who operates outside the traditional norms can upend everything very suddenly.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

I understand why they changed his threat to “I’ll nuke the spice fields” in the film, because they’re desperately trying to streamline this thing, and it’s NBD really - but it is sort of a shame, as it shifts the emphasis from Paul winning by embracing Fremen ecological knowledge to Paul winning by ducal advantage.

I was kind of bummed on this point until this exact moment where I read your post, and now I think it works even better with the context of him betraying the cultural integrity of the Fremen, bonus points for that further alienating Chani.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What does Paul do differently in the books? It's been a while since I read the novel so I don't recall what the specifics of his threat were.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
He realizes that pouring the water of life into a pre-spice mass will catalyze a chain reaction across the entire planet that will... kill the worms? I think? thus ending spice production for all time.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

He genetically engineers a giant squid and convinces the padishah emperor that it’s the vanguard of a spice-eating alien invasion force.

That or the water of life thing, I forget.

Admiral Bosch posted:

I was kind of bummed on this point until this exact moment where I read your post, and now I think it works even better with the context of him betraying the cultural integrity of the Fremen, bonus points for that further alienating Chani.

You know, maybe you’re right. His big “I choose the dark side” moment climaxes at the council meeting when he puts the signet ring back on, so yeah, that does all line up pretty well.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Admiral Bosch posted:

He realizes that pouring the water of life into a pre-spice mass will catalyze a chain reaction across the entire planet that will... kill the worms? I think? thus ending spice production for all time.

Yeah, "Nuke da worms" communicates similar stakes and seems fine to me as a streamline.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tree Bucket posted:

In a hole in the ground there lived a Fremen. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms (okay sometimes) and an oozy smell, but totally a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a sietch-hole, and that means farts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, the smells of home.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, "Nuke da worms" communicates similar stakes and seems fine to me as a streamline.

:shrug: gotta nuke something

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

He ain’t nuking the worms, because in the films, so far anyway, there’s no connection between the worms and spice.

He’s just going to nuke, like, the ground.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I understood that there’s a bunch of spice refineries in the planet and he’ll nuke those.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah it's kinda weird that the movies have been so careful to avoid explicitly linking spice production to the worms. Wonder if it just has something to do with only intending it to be three movies since I guess that would all start becoming more relevant if they got into God-Emperor stuff.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lobster Henry posted:

It also begs the question of why no one (e.g. Leto) has thought of that before. Or couldn’t the unscrupulous Harkonnens have seized the throne via the same tactic years ago?

Although, thinking about it, I guess a) going by the film alone, you could assume that the Atreides are the only house with a stockpile of atomics, right? and b) all the other houses immediately declare war in the film, so I guess Paul’s nuclear gambit doesn’t actually work…

Anyway, in other news, I was looking at the screenplay for DUNC1, and I can’t believe they cut some great lines like this one:

In the books the Baron at least is smart enough to know how despised the Harks are, that's why he's so excited about Hawat's plan for Feyd

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Admiral Bosch posted:

You missed the most metal part of this where Paul says that this process will change the water of life into "the water of death" and this substance spreading through the ecosystem is what will trigger the biosphere collapse that would end spice creation forever.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lobster Henry posted:

it was so dumb I knew immediately it had to be real

the only question is whether jon spaihts was handed these lines from the studio or he came up with them himself

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You shave for no man? Tell that to Zod's snapped neck.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

https://youtu.be/7E6AcXUKSVA?si=61VCeO7OWFDZX1oL

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I would genuinely watch him do this for every single scene. Did the DUNC physical release have any commentary tracks(and are they worth listening to)

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

say what you want to say about the changes Denis made, this dude cares… a lot.

The amount of work that went into this masterpiece is breathtaking

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Here's a quote from Walken in an interview for Dune Part 2

quote:

I remember the first time I had to play a king, I said to another actor, I said "how am I gonna play a king, I'm from Queens. I grew up in the neighbourhood". He said "don't worry about it, the king is seen by reflection". He said "you'll be a king by the way people treat you" and I thought that was wise, and I thought about it with this. That I didn't have to try to be the Emperor, that I'd just rely on Denis and the beautiful sets and the costumes and.. that if people treated me like the Emperor then I'd be okay. So that's how I approached it.

So uh yeah, he didn't have to try to be the emperor.

edit: just watched that interview with him. He says at the end it will take him time to make peace with some of the changes he had to make, vs the vision he had as a teenager reading the books. I appreciate that a lot.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 18, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah my dad feels the same way. He's a stupid baby lmao.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought Walken was good, he seemed kinda doddering and a bit out of it. Like the emperor...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I feel like the bigger issue is that the Emperor is a non-entity outside of the Irulan scenes. Nobody on Arrakis seems to give a poo poo about him, so meeting or replacing him in the finale doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The problem is walken is a human meme. He cannot do anything because you laugh at his hilarious voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43VjLCRqKNk

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CelticPredator posted:

The problem is walken is a human meme. He cannot do anything because you laugh at his hilarious voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43VjLCRqKNk

I read your POST ... in his voice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

YaketySass posted:

I feel like the bigger issue is that the Emperor is a non-entity outside of the Irulan scenes. Nobody on Arrakis seems to give a poo poo about him, so meeting or replacing him in the finale doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Yeah the problem is they removed the galactic economy that Paul is strangling, so the Emperor isn't lighting a fire under the Baron's rear end and the Guild isn't so perturbed they allow the entire Corrino army to go to Arrakis, which is a desperate move that guild has spent 10,000 years avoiding.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BastardySkull posted:

edit: just watched that interview with him. He says at the end it will take him time to make peace with some of the changes he had to make, vs the vision he had as a teenager reading the books. I appreciate that a lot.

one can only wonder what kind of concessions he was forced to make to satisfy the bean counters

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is how I felt too. The movie was visually amazing and had incredible sound design, and seeing it in an iSense theater was definitely worth the extra cost. I thought it was for the most part excellently acted and brilliantly shot, but the movie itself felt like a three hour montage. I can get why they made the choices they did, but it honestly felt like they had six hours of movie and only three hours to squeeze them into.

Yeah this is broadly where I fall. I feel I immediately need to see it again because I missed half of it from daring to blink or think.

It was all stunning and expertly made, but Villeneuve has always been a master of establishing a scene and building atmosphere, so it was a little bit jarring to have such fast cuts (relatively) and scenes changing constantly. But at the same time obviously the execs aren't going to allow a four hour film to release to theatres, bastards that they are.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Someone was talking about the exquisite sound design in the movie, so here's an interview with the sound designer about part 1, including how they worked out the sound for the ornithopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v2pbKWIV_g

Channel also has some nice videos about the score and editing of part 1.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

would’ve been better if they got DaFoe, agreed all

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

With all the DUNCposting on the internet I saw a couple videos on the ornithopters. Long story short -- insect flight doesn't work for larger bodies due to unavoidable properties of air. Even with future super-materials the wings would probably tear themselves apart flapping fast enough to generate sufficient lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

With all the DUNCposting on the internet I saw a couple videos on the ornithopters. Long story short -- insect flight doesn't work for larger bodies due to unavoidable properties of air. Even with future super-materials the wings would probably tear themselves apart flapping fast enough to generate sufficient lift.

in defiance of the great goonvention, I'm gonna give you an atomic wedgie