Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
who the heck is gonna be buying cards after the main event round 1 starts?

the answer is edh players, so it makes sense that that's what the buylists focus on (otherwise you're just paying inflated prices for something that you're gonna get stuck with if you don't manage to flip it in that limited window)

not showing up with any copies of relevant cards from your own inventory is dumb as hell though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jabor posted:

who the heck is gonna be buying cards after the main event round 1 starts?

the answer is edh players, so it makes sense that that's what the buylists focus on (otherwise you're just paying inflated prices for something that you're gonna get stuck with if you don't manage to flip it in that limited window)

not showing up with any copies of relevant cards from your own inventory is dumb as hell though

There are modern events outside the main event that will fire. Sunday is pioneer. This event is popular for a lot of reasons but the side events actually fire and in big numbers.

The inventory problems didn’t exist last year on this level.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I want to try voja in modern elves as a chord target

I mean, the deck will still be bad, but at least you can do a craterhoof impression kinda..

Voja doesn't have haste. Craterhoof being able to use its own buff the turn it shows up really matters.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
My last Standard season RCQ was today and I did not qualify for Dallas. I lost my last must-win round against a friend which was the way to go out because I truly didn't feel any anger or frustration with my situation - just good vibes sent his way and gg's. I learned a bunch from this season. I think I improved as a player. I definitely identified some areas I can improve on. I'll say this much: grinding is as exhausting as it is fun.

Now it's time to play god's format, modern. Where the real planeswalkers planes. Or walk or some poo poo. Hype for the Minneapolis $10k.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Voja doesn't have haste. Craterhoof being able to use its own buff the turn it shows up really matters.

Yes but when you think about it putting a creature in on your opponent’s endstep is, like, Double Haste

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

something similar happened in (i think) some even in atlanta. vendors aren't going to bring commons just to sell it for a quarter when there's more expensive cards that can be sold.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Wizards went crazy on Karlov Manor's variants.

Usually there are Borderless, Showcase, and Extended Art variants.

This time around the Showcase variants.. there are "Dossier", "Magnified", "Ravnica" and "Special Ink" showcase variants with Special Ink being an extra variant of the Dossier Showcase. The Ravnica variants also are used as the Serialized variants..

Also weird is Vein Ripper has an "invisible ink" variant but it's collector number is 433 which is at the end where the buy-a-box, pre-release, box topper numbers usually are. All the other Invisible Ink numbers are between 378-389.

Edit: oh yeah there are also 4 variants of the card, "Ransom Note", and the 4 variants also have Extended Art versions

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 17, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The burton was a wild time. Lots of friends and good food. The matches I played were fun but didn't get there.

Lots of shady poo poo at the top tables though. People have noticeably upped their not giving a poo poo. So much went on and the judges weren't bringing the hammer down.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

The burton was a wild time. Lots of friends and good food. The matches I played were fun but didn't get there.

Lots of shady poo poo at the top tables though. People have noticeably upped their not giving a poo poo. So much went on and the judges weren't bringing the hammer down.

Like this. All this effort to get an edge by confusing your opponent. Their choice is to risk going to time or just being confused what crap does all match.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
How dare someone have a deck in a different language. The audacity. The sheer disrespect. They should be promptly DCI banned then tarred and feathered. Such an injustice should not stand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

How dare someone have a deck in a different language. The audacity. The sheer disrespect. They should be promptly DCI banned then tarred and feathered. Such an injustice should not stand.

:hmmyes:

There was also an instance of anime titty sleeves at the Hunton Burton Open Charity event. The fix from the judges was not to resleeve, but to add an outer sleeve to the cards and put draft basics covering the titty art. So each card had a layer of titty sleeve, basic land turned over showings its back, and then an outer sleeve.

The judging was SOFT.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well yeah, they covered up the anime titties.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sickening posted:

Like this. All this effort to get an edge by confusing your opponent. Their choice is to risk going to time or just being confused what crap does all match.

yeah, i hate people that use a bunch of random full art variants. that soul sisters guy playing the normal version of everything is a real hero

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Is it just the alt arts? This picture doesn’t seem that bad to me, but maybe I’m just used to it by now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Guillotines for both of them IMHO

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm glad I'm not the only person confused about what I was supposed to be mad about.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
are we mad that someone is playing mono white lifegain? that actually sounds pretty awesome

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

playing with legal magic cards that I personally don't recognize is cheating.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just hover your hand over it and read the tooltip

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

that's only for the braille version

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How hard is it to play Magic for the vision impaired anyway? Technically it's all text right so it shouldn't be particularly difficult but I'm having difficulty, uh, visualizing how it would work.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Eej posted:

How hard is it to play Magic for the vision impaired anyway? Technically it's all text right so it shouldn't be particularly difficult but I'm having difficulty, uh, visualizing how it would work.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WUsSn

Quite hard (although this guy has Day 2'd a gp before, so)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

I used to play with a guy that was straight up blind at small weekly events. He had special sleeves that had all braille on them, and he'd do his best with help from his support network and opponents to make sure the right card was sleeved in the right sleeve, but obviously he couldn't exactly tell

Generally his library would be a bit more of a pile of cards and stuff since he couldn't see if it was tipping over, and it was pretty tricky and required some patience of course, but we were able to play together. I don't think he would've been able to play at a higher level event without some help though mostly because tracking all the board state clearly was a bit of a challenge for him without some supporting help for the opponent. And while we were all happy to help him in our small scene, I can imagine less charitable opponents at competitive events not being willing to do so.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I used to play with a guy that was straight up blind at small weekly events. He had special sleeves that had all braille on them, and he'd do his best with help from his support network and opponents to make sure the right card was sleeved in the right sleeve, but obviously he couldn't exactly tell

Generally his library would be a bit more of a pile of cards and stuff since he couldn't see if it was tipping over, and it was pretty tricky and required some patience of course, but we were able to play together. I don't think he would've been able to play at a higher level event without some help though mostly because tracking all the board state clearly was a bit of a challenge for him without some supporting help for the opponent. And while we were all happy to help him in our small scene, I can imagine less charitable opponents at competitive events not being willing to do so.

I'm pretty sure that braille in your sleeves is technically marked cards. Literly the purpose is to distinguish your cards by touch.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Abhorrence posted:

I'm pretty sure that braille in your sleeves is technically marked cards. Literly the purpose is to distinguish your cards by touch.

The front of a card is allowed to be marked

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Required, even.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That player should be immune to Blinding Beam's second mode.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

The front of a card is allowed to be marked

Yeah but wouldn't the different bumps cause the card to sit unevenly?

Also, it basically amounts to writing on the sleeves. At a competitive level, that could be used to include outside information, as the braille writing does not necessarily correspond to the card information. It's fine for FNM, but in high level play it's sus, as the kids say.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A card's name and text is not outside information, and I think there's ways to make brail using negative space instead of raised bumps. You'd feel holes in the inner sleeve which would not be detectable from the top

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i feel like this whole thing is moot since the player in question just wanted to be able to play at all and wasn't trying to bring their solution to a competitive event

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Heartwarming story about some people helping someone visually impaired play a fun game followed by extremely MtG hand-wringing over competitive gambling for no reason.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

Yeah but wouldn't the different bumps cause the card to sit unevenly?

The one in MrL_JaKiri's link, if a card didn't have much text he'd copy it over and over on the card so all the cards had bumps all the way down and sat evenly

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Weirdness aside it's cool that people out there have found ways to play the game. It's weird to think about it since Magic seems to be just mostly text based rule interactions but there's lots of visual things I take for granted.

I also found this reddit post of someone who is extremely vision impaired (but not blind) who can only play Magic because of Arena's ability to enlarge card text on mouse over but still hits snags like certain battlefields being too bright to play on leading to concedes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/10tv2xo/magic_arena_from_the_perspective_of_a_visually/

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The braille was only on the front yeah, and he only really printed the short version of the text, which he maintained himself with a braille printer for the sleeves which was really cool (though admittedly I can't read braille so like, I guess they could've said anything). As mentioned he'd have the actual cards in the sleeve themselves as well so it was clear to the sighted player what was going on

flatluigi posted:

i feel like this whole thing is moot since the player in question just wanted to be able to play at all and wasn't trying to bring their solution to a competitive event

And yeah like.. this was at a $5 weekly modern event where most everyone just brought janky casual decks lol. The guy was super nice and fun to play with, he didn't really do very well in the events either so I don't think it was providing much of an advantage at all regardless :v:

He probably would've had trouble going to a really competitive event though, he really wanted to be able to play limited but obviously that couldn't really be done in paper without someone reading him the cards unfortunately. Really playing with him the only difference was having to really be sure to narrate your actions and communicate (which I do anyway) and that the board state could get a little confusing if you weren't paying attention. tbh even there though he was really good at keeping things as clear as he could without being able to actually, you know, see the table

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

A card's name and text is not outside information,

My point was that the braille writing was not necessarily the card's name and text. It could be anything.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Those dastardly cheating blind people

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Abhorrence posted:

My point was that the braille writing was not necessarily the card's name and text. It could be anything.

Step 1: Acquire cards and sleeves.
Step 2: Write information on the sleeves in braille that has nothing to do with what's actually on the cards.
Step 3: Play deck in sanctioned event.
Step 4: Have opponent call judge once they realize the sleeves are marked.
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profits!

It's so diabolical in its simplicity...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Abhorrence posted:

A blind person playing at high level is required to have a ludicrously good memory for both card text and game state, there's not much you can put on the card that would be useful in that kind of situation

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I played a few games with a guy who had limited mobility in his arms one time.

He had a card holder, like a Scrabble tray, and a friend with him who would draw his cards and put them on the holder. He would tell him what he was tapping, and use instructions like “3rd card from the left” to play stuff. If he tutored anything, he told the friend what to grab, etc. They had it down pretty well so they’ve probably been playing together that way for quite a while.

(The friend was playing too, so he couldn’t just name the cards he was playing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Abhorrence posted:

This could be true of any foreign language card