Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

The Probox is good though??

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

The Probox is good though??

I would certainly take a Probox over a modern Mini for sure.

There's even a range of TRD products for the Probox! From a front splitter, to steelie-look alloys, to silver-coated indicator bulbs, front AND rear!

https://toyota.jp/probox/option/trd1/

Or an aftermarket Golf-style "Eurobox" conversion:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mr. Apollo posted:

With 612 HP for the AMG-lite model, it'll be hard to justify the full AMG model.
Yeah, that was my first reaction. Are they discontinuing the full AMG model?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

gvibes posted:

Yeah, that was my first reaction. Are they discontinuing the full AMG model?
No idea. They may do something like the C63e where an electric motor and battery pack is strapped to the rear wheels but they'd have to give it close to 800 HP considering the C63e has 671 HP.

edit - Looks like that's what MB is doing: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2024-mercedes-amg-e63-swaps-v8-straight-six-phev

In other news, the Audi Q6 etron (twin to the new Porsche Macan EV) was finally released. Apparently it's going to replace the Q8 erron since it's only slightly smaller but it much more efficient and has better range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BucVRnrE2qM

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 18, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

No idea. They may do something like the C63e where an electric motor and battery pack is strapped to the rear wheels but they'd have to give it close to 800 HP considering the C63e has 671 HP.

edit - Looks like that's what MB is doing: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2024-mercedes-amg-e63-swaps-v8-straight-six-phev

In other news, the Audi Q6 etron (twin to the new Porsche Macan EV) was finally released. Apparently it's going to replace the Q8 erron since it's only slightly smaller but it much more efficient and has better range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BucVRnrE2qM
Are they doing capacitive buttons on the doors now, including for fog lights :eyepop:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

oh gently caress all the way off with that

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they doing capacitive buttons on the doors now, including for fog lights :eyepop:

How many of those features require a monthly subscription to function?

Does the light on the button go out if you're not subscribed to it?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

The Porsche Macan EV gets physical buttons.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

This was my immediate thought. Locking things out looks less lovely ascetically if the button was never a button in the first place.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mobby_6kl posted:

Those look like backlit physical buttons to me...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

Those look like backlit physical buttons to me...

For the windows, yes, I mean all the other ones on the separate panel. They seem to be flat, maybe with some ridges separating some of them

E: content warning, Throttle House content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MamKI2sugQ

The Santa Fe looks pretty wild. Like I have no need or interest in a giant SUV thing but it's impressive how nice it seems to be and how much it offers for what is a reasonable price nowadays

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 18, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

For the windows, yes, I mean all the other ones on the separate panel. They seem to be flat, maybe with some ridges separating some of them

they look like the buttons on the og motorola razr flip phone which is honestly pretty rad

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

Thomas said in the Autogefuehl video that Audi says that buyers in Nordic countries "subscribe" to the higher option headlights during the winter months only as it saves them a couple of hundred Euros versus buying the option outright. He does question if the cost savings only apply to a short term lease and whether there's any benefit if you own the car for a longer period of time.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Our ID4 has that setup. It’s fine. In 3 months of ownership, we’ve touched the light cluster once: last week, to switch on the fog lights.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

morothar posted:

Our ID4 has that setup. It’s fine. In 3 months of ownership, we’ve touched the light cluster once: last week, to switch on the fog lights.

I'm not ok with "fine", tbh

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KakerMix posted:

I'm not ok with "fine", tbh

Shrug. I have auto lights on my car and rarely touch it, too. Also, fog lights have rapidly gone the way of the dodo on many new economy cars even at high trims. If you think about it, they don't seem to make a big amount of difference, even lumen calculations with actual fog be damned. I personally like fog lights, but I can understand manufacturers saving cost because 90+% of customers will not notice or care about the decontent, while the profit goes up.

VVV Ah yes I agree

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 18, 2024

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Inner Light posted:

Shrug. I have auto lights on my car and rarely touch it, too. Also, fog lights have rapidly gone the way of the dodo on many new economy cars even at high trims. If you think about it, they don't seem to make a big amount of difference, even lumen calculations with actual fog be damned. I personally like fog lights, but I can understand manufacturers saving cost because 90+% of customers will not notice or care about the decontent, while the profit goes up.

I meant more on the capacitive buttons at all, not foglights specifically. Capacitive buttons can only ever be "fine" or "I don't even change (button option) often enough for it to matter". Nobody ever like them as an input method, their peak is 'fine'.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I meant more on the capacitive buttons at all, not foglights specifically. Capacitive buttons can only ever be "fine" or "I don't even change (button option) often enough for it to matter". Nobody ever like them as an input method, their peak is 'fine'.

To be more specific, they have been just as good as the physical buttons on e.g. our 4Runner, or the LC200 before it: 99% irrelevant, and the single time we had to use them no more nor less pleasant or functional.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

morothar posted:

Probably easier to see and access than hiding on the left of the steering wheel?

KakerMix posted:

When was the last time you got in your car and looked longingly at the physical foglights button and thought "what a functional work of art!"?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 18, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Why would you ever turn your fog lights off?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dr. Lunchables posted:

1. It's kind of annoying to others oncoming if they're bright foglights on a dark clear night, they're not aimed the same way as DOT-mandated headlight lenses, that is a significant reason I leave mine off for a good amount of the time.

2. On my car, a dumb German one, the foglights are incandescent and in a hard to access place. I want to preserve them lol.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

ilkhan posted:

When was the last time you got in your car and looked longingly at the physical foglights button and thought "what a functional work of art!"?

I think this every time I use the many wonderful physical buttons in my car

Capacitive buttons are loving garbage

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Inner Light posted:

1. It's kind of annoying to others oncoming if they're bright foglights on a dark clear night, they're not aimed the same way as DOT-mandated headlight lenses, that is a significant reason I leave mine off for a good amount of the time.

2. On my car, a dumb German one, the foglights are incandescent and in a hard to access place. I want to preserve them lol.

At this point in time with LEDs regularly stuck in projector housings, nobody even thinks about your fog lights, I can promise you.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eyud posted:

I think this every time I use the many wonderful physical buttons in my car

Capacitive buttons are loving garbage

Yeah it's this. I do not benefit from a capacitive button, I don't care if it's for fog lights or HVAC or stereo volume or whatever else. In a car they are, at best, fine.
I'm already annoyed that I have to go into the touch screen to change the vent situation in my 2018 Land Cruiser even if it isn't something I do often, but thankfully that's the single instance. Plus the screen is integrated in the dash and not sitting on top of it like a first year designer's rushed project.

Or perhaps I'm just an out of touch old man. I can afford a new car though, and I don't want a single one of them.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Or perhaps I'm just an out of touch old man. I can afford a new car though, and I don't want a single one of them.

I think you’d be surprised how much like the LC200 the ID4 is. One of the things I loved about the LC is that I rarely had to interact with anything. Heated seats would switch on when it was cold and cooling would switch on when it was hot. Light would switch on when it was dark, and the AC was just set to 68F. Even the heated steering wheel switches on by itself if I recall correctly.

ID4? Basically the same. Plus, I can switch the AC on at 0630 from my phone and get into a warm/cool car at 0700.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

Fog? That middle button is the headlight control brother. They're all in!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Last weekend with the glorious array of switches in the rallycar on the center console

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

morothar posted:

I think you’d be surprised how much like the LC200 the ID4 is. One of the things I loved about the LC is that I rarely had to interact with anything. Heated seats would switch on when it was cold and cooling would switch on when it was hot. Light would switch on when it was dark, and the AC was just set to 68F. Even the heated steering wheel switches on by itself if I recall correctly.

ID4? Basically the same. Plus, I can switch the AC on at 0630 from my phone and get into a warm/cool car at 0700.

This is the sort of stuff I want zero part of though, I sought out the LC because it isn't disposable.
The ID4 is a far better ride, more comfortable and of course more efficient. It will not outlast a Land Cruiser. If we sell this it's because we leave the country.
I don't want something new, I just want something good. Modern VW does not jive with my sensibilities.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That Q6 is a double shame as Audi used to pride themselves as having the best most clicky buttons on the market.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Fog? That middle button is the headlight control brother. They're all in!

Auto headlights require zero thought. Still stupid to be on a capacitive button on the door though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

fknlo posted:

Auto headlights require zero thought. Still stupid to be on a capacitive button on the door though.

yes but auto headlights wont let me have highbeams on 24/7 and blind people for fun - average american

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Because I don't want the fuzz to fine me? It's a 41-168€ fine depending on the cop mood here in :italy:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SlowBloke posted:

Because I don't want the fuzz to fine me? It's a 41-168€ fine depending on the cop mood here in :italy:

in america americans keep their fog lights on even with clear weather and blazing sun m8

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Don’t forget your lightbar

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Celexi posted:

in america americans keep their fog lights on even with clear weather and blazing sun m8

Or treat their dogs as the “low beams.”

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Russian Bear posted:

Don’t forget your lightbar

I'm seriously considering installing a set of light bars, one facing forward, one facing backward. Front - For dickheads with LED bulbs in housings not meant for them, blinding everyone, just to give them a taste of their own medicine. The rear one - for those same dickheads and the additional dickheads that either refuse to replace their burned out low beam bulbs and run their brights all the time so the cops don't pull them over, or are too inept to understand that the blue octopus means you're blinding me.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My car has factory LED headlights and I only use my low beams yet I still get people flashing their high beams at me a couple of times a month when I'm at a stop light. They always stop after I flash my high beams back at them.

BloodBag posted:

I'm seriously considering installing a set of light bars, one facing forward, one facing backward. Front - For dickheads with LED bulbs in housings not meant for them, blinding everyone, just to give them a taste of their own medicine. The rear one - for those same dickheads and the additional dickheads that either refuse to replace their burned out low beam bulbs and run their brights all the time so the cops don't pull them over, or are too inept to understand that the blue octopus means you're blinding me.
Around me, it's either people driving with their high beams on or no headlights at all. Thanks to instrument panels that are illuminated all the time, I guess people assume that their headlights are on.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 19, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Apollo posted:

Around me, it's either people driving with their high beams on or no headlights at all. Thanks to instrument panels that are illuminated all the time, I guess people assume that their headlights are on.

With all the poo poo that’s regulated on cars, it completely blows my mind that this is still allowed. It’s such an idiotically simple fix.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Driving in to work at 6:30am when its dark I'll probably see someone with headlights on but no rear brake lights every day/every other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Good call. I go in to work at 5:30 every weekday morning so I see someone with no headlights on about once a week at least. There's a left turn onto an unlit road right near my work. I was lucky I looked twice one time while driving my NA miata because some jackwagon was driving along with no lights and I was just about to pull out in front of him. I'm sure that would've felt nice.
E: the drivers in Houston are so terrible that I'm about to sell my motorcycle. I just can't deal with the combination of way too many heavy trucks in all lanes all the time, and the complete psycho drivers. Anyone want to buy a CFMoto Ibex 800T with the full set of panniers?