Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

You are clearly supposed to buy a new car with Carplay(tm) and stop being a drain on society and capitalism with your older probably paid off car.

One thing that makes me lol is people on car sites whining about how old fashioned RWD enthusiast cars have disappeared but when someone mentions the Infiniti Q50/Q60 they're all like, eeww that's old even though it's everything they claim they want. Assuming they can even afford a new 6 cylinder car anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Aux jacks have been gone from iPhones since 2016, but they're still on all the Android products. The lowest level Motorola smart phone currently still has an aux jack. Android phones are affordable and accessible, and iPhones are expensive and getting increasingly more limiting, but people would still much rather have the status items minus basic abilities than go for the pleb option.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

except samsung i guess. or is samsung not android anymore. i don't keep up with this poo poo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Aux jacks have been gone from iPhones since 2016, but they're still on all the Android products. The lowest level Motorola smart phone currently still has an aux jack. Android phones are affordable and accessible, and iPhones are expensive and getting increasingly more limiting, but people would still much rather have the status items minus basic abilities than go for the pleb option.
Not all, the higher-end Android stuff aped Apple again and it's been gone from the Galaxy S line for years too, probably most others too so you don't really get a choice.

I got work the shell out for the wireless buds too and they work ok and are convenient in like the gym but I'd rather have the jack so I could plug in my Sennheisers without the bullshit adapters

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah I'll be honest I haven't researched every Android phone, but I'm poor AF and so far never hit a phone without an aux jack. I'm about to buy another $150 phone after this one has lasted me 5 years and can confirm it has an aux jack.

I am too poor for the aux jack disappearing to be an issue yet lol it's just funny to me it's a ~luxury~ problem to have less access lol.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
My cheap noise cancelling headphones have Bluetooth for my phone and an aux port for the plane headrest. It isn't hard to find stuff that can do both.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They also sell Bluetooth adapters for wired headphones if you are really married to those and insist on making your life more difficult than it has to be

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My Android Pixel 7 does not have a headphone jack and that is annoying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

They also sell Bluetooth adapters for wired headphones if you are really married to those and insist on making your life more difficult than it has to be

I don't want to make my life more difficult by having recharge my headphones too

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jelly posted:

My Android Pixel 7 does not have a headphone jack and that is annoying.

The Pixel 6 Pro didn't have one either.
I think the Pixel 5A/5G were the last pixels to have them

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

steinrokkan posted:

Yes let me carry extra devices around that are more inconvenient and gently caress up the sound quality instead of just buying a phone that has bare minimum basic functionality

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm kinda reminded about how cheap DVD players - like the $30 from Target or Best Buy kind - were the easiest to make region-free for a while, bc it was all software coded and the cheaper brands didn't put as much effort into locking it away. For most it was just a code you entered via the remote while in one of the menus, and blammo, now you can play a DVD from anywhere in the world.

I've heard that now it's hardware-locked so you can't do that anymore, but I'll be honest I don't remember the last time I bought a DVD player to check.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2024

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

filmcynic posted:

the new Crow trailer

what the gently caress

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DemihumanResources posted:

what the gently caress

Don't worry we can entirely ignore it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
can't wait for The Crow Soundtrack 2

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

UFOTacoMan posted:

Now that's what I call Angst 14!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

UFOTacoMan posted:

judgment night remake when

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I remember the first time I got a car stereo with an aux jack. Felt like humanity had reached it's apex.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

wash bucket posted:

I remember the first time I got a car stereo with an aux jack. Felt like humanity had reached it's apex.

My first car had a tape player, and I only owned 1 tape, When I was Cruel by Elvis Costello. I have to say, there is something sorta nice about listening to the same tape 500 times until every lyric is seared into your brain.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My last car was a 1997 Toyota Camry and it only had a tape deck so I had to use a tape adapter to play stuff off of a CD/MP3 player.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my car has a cassette deck and i have a cassette to aux converter in it and now i have to buy tape to bluetooth which looks like it requires charging so that's epic. dunno what im gonna do for my truck, aux to bluetooth i guess which also requires charging

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

It's hilarious that for music in your car it was easier to play music off your CD player using one of those tape deck adapters 20 years ago than it is now

Like they made it so you can put your entire music collection on a device the size of a credit card but then completely hosed up any level of compatibility between that and any vehicle that doesn't have built in bluetooth capability

I have to buy a bluetooth adapter or a USB-C splitter and the sound quality is poo poo either way, the easiest thing to do is just make sure my phone is totally charged when I leave for a hopefully short road trip or just listen on my bluetooth headphones which is not legal in many states

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my car has a cassette deck and i have a cassette to aux converter in it and now i have to buy tape to bluetooth which looks like it requires charging so that's epic. dunno what im gonna do for my truck, aux to bluetooth i guess which also requires charging

You could always just listen to right-wing AM radio talk shows. :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You could always just listen to right-wing AM radio talk shows. :shrug:

What happened to the short-range FM transmitters that enable ipods to play over cars without a tape/cd drive

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Jelly posted:

It's hilarious that for music in your car it was easier to play music off your CD player using one of those tape deck adapters 20 years ago than it is now

Like they made it so you can put your entire music collection on a device the size of a credit card but then completely hosed up any level of compatibility between that and any vehicle that doesn't have built in bluetooth capability

I have to buy a bluetooth adapter or a USB-C splitter and the sound quality is poo poo either way, the easiest thing to do is just make sure my phone is totally charged when I leave for a hopefully short road trip or just listen on my bluetooth headphones which is not legal in many states

Thumb drive? I've been using one successfully on my last 2 cars.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AvesPKS posted:

Thumb drive

Both hands on the steering wheel, 10 and 2

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

AvesPKS posted:

Thumb drive? I've been using one successfully on my last 2 cars.

My car only has AUX in, nothing fancy to accept a thumb drive. I could buy a cheap MP3 player. I actually did but it was too small and I lost it, I'm sure it's in a drawer somewhere.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I tune that thing to 89.9 on the FM dial to stream my phone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We used to have drive-in theater here where you tuned your radio to a very local FM (I think) station. That was a cool place. It closed in 2015. :(

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vampire Panties posted:

What happened to the short-range FM transmitters that enable ipods to play over cars without a tape/cd drive

Still exist. Use one in my gen1 Prius.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We used to have drive-in theater here where you tuned your radio to a very local FM (I think) station. That was a cool place. It closed in 2015. :(

they started doing that at the balloon fiesta park during COVID, we watched a couple movies from the bed of my truck with a cheap C-cell analog FM radio and it was really fun

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

Still exist. Use one in my gen1 Prius.
I had one until I replaced it with a $40 stereo with its own Bluetooth.

It worked okay, but it buzzed some at times.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Jelly posted:

I have to buy a bluetooth adapter or a USB-C splitter and the sound quality is poo poo either way,

I think what you're looking for is something along the lines of a Fiio Btr that retains sound quality when running music from a phone over bluetooth to an analog/aux cable. I've used one for years it's well worth the price of admission.

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR5-2021-Bluetooth-Headphone-Resolution/dp/B09G9TNB2R

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Both hands on the steering wheel, 10 and 2

9 and 3 with your thumbs hooked over the spokes is the official car guy driving position

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

9 and 3 with your thumbs hooked over the spokes is the official car guy driving position

this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Woolie Wool posted:

10 and 2 is what my kids are telling me is the new direction

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
10 and 2 is boomer poo poo. 8 and 4 ensures your arms don't get launched into your face breaking everything when the airbag goes off because you crashed trying to steer underhanded.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

12:00 and the other hand down your pants imo :coal:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Call Your Grandma posted:

12:00 and the other hand resting on the window sill

You can switch to 6:00 and a pinch grip on the wheel as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Autoerotic