Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The use of «household» makes me think it only works if everyone is on the same internet connection, but at a glance I didn’t see any mention of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are these posts about? I can't make those links work.
the Islands of Insight team was laid off by Behavior Interactive for not reaching sales goals... in one month

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The 7th Guest posted:

the Islands of Insight team was laid off by Behavior Interactive for not reaching sales goals... in one month

That's bullshit

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ymgve posted:

The use of «household» makes me think it only works if everyone is on the same internet connection, but at a glance I didn’t see any mention of that
I kinda doubt it given how the Steam deck works? But I think the 1 year cool down on switching fams is there to also prevent people from game sharing aggressively.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And the other tone is that we can share steam libraries now, supposedly with family members, whatever that means.

My SO has, I dunno, six steam games, so this is going to be good for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DM me if you want to start a Steam family with me

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joke’s on them this is going to ruin my family when I drag my fiance to helldive with me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This will finally end the not all criticism that my SO offhandedly asked years ago, unknowingly cutting me to my absolute core:

"Do you finish games?"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

This sucks but also shows how tiny the margins are in indie development, the game came out LAST MONTH

https://twitter.com/lunarchstudios/status/1768673593477550175

Oh, I saw this one when it came out. It looked like a gorgeous Myst/Talos/Witness game, but then I noticed the MMO tag and forced online. The publisher is a jerk, but I'm not terribly surprised the game didn't exactly perform sales-wise.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

forced online in a puzzle game is certainly a choice

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Was this not already a feature? I feel like my ex and I did a "family share" thing to access each other's accounts :confused:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

credburn posted:

Was this not already a feature? I feel like my ex and I did a "family share" thing to access each other's accounts :confused:

Steam Family Sharing has been around for a while but it kinda sucked before, I could play a game on your account but only if you weren't playing any other game. Now you can play two different games, just can't play the same game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Oh, I saw this one when it came out. It looked like a gorgeous Myst/Talos/Witness game, but then I noticed the MMO tag and forced online. The publisher is a jerk, but I'm not terribly surprised the game didn't exactly perform sales-wise.

Yeah I love talos but have absolutely no desire to play it in an MMO environment, and I would bet that’s not a minority position

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome! posted:

forced online in a puzzle game is certainly a choice
it's a very good game, but yea, the MMO aspect makes no sense and feels like they had bigger plans that they cut down. all it amounts to is seeing other players running around. you can't solve puzzles with them. there's no local or global chat. just gestures.

which in some sense, i'm fine with there not being.. like.. toxic interactions and other players running around doesn't really impact my enjoyment of the game. but the result of this is being always-online.

the dev plans to make the game playable offline if the servers ever get shut down

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

steam family sharing has been a thing for a while, the two main notable differences with this new feature are

games are pooled together into one mega library you can use individual games from instead of having to borrow the entire account library

there are now IP detection systems in place to prevent people from family sharing freely. at the very least, i can confirm that you can no longer family share with people in different countries.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah I love talos but have absolutely no desire to play it in an MMO environment, and I would bet that’s not a minority position

That was basically exactly my experience with it, it's a shame but not shocking.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yep, the MMO stuff was what downgraded it to "maybe if it has a big sale" for me. Which I guess it did, and a lot sooner than I expected too. RIP.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ShadowMar posted:

steam family sharing has been a thing for a while, the two main notable differences with this new feature are

games are pooled together into one mega library you can use individual games from instead of having to borrow the entire account library

there are now IP detection systems in place to prevent people from family sharing freely. at the very least, i can confirm that you can no longer family share with people in different countries.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that its based on something similar to what youtubetv does, which uses designated market area as a way to determine whether sharing is going on by the same household or not

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

the dev plans to make the game playable offline if the servers ever get shut down

can they even do that if they are no longer employed to work on the game? i dont know how game dev works i should spend more time in the star citizen thread

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome! posted:

can they even do that if they are no longer employed to work on the game? i dont know how game dev works i should spend more time in the star citizen thread
there is a skeleton crew left behind to provide patches for the game, so yeah they can still do it

there just won't be any new content updates most likely, which is a shame because i'm sure they wanted to add more islands to the game over time

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Why didn't they make it offline to begin with, what is the reason to make this kind of puzzle game online only? Or even have an online component to begin with if you don't even solve puzzles with others?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Why didn't they make it offline to begin with, what is the reason to make this kind of puzzle game online only? Or even have an online component to begin with if you don't even solve puzzles with others?
I think originally it was going to be a live service game with continuous updates, new islands, new puzzle types, new cosmetics, probably big live events, etc. a few people mentioned that the original playtest of the game in 2023 had co-op puzzle solving as well.

but obviously a lot of those plans got scrapped

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ShadowMar posted:

Are they going to sever my current family share connections?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Sininu posted:

Are they going to sever my current family share connections?

not right away, but eventually yes.

anyways, it seems to be entirely country based, i was able to add people from different states in the US but different countries are blocked.

it also seems to use the region your account is set to rather than IP tracking, i know two people that live together and they can't family share because one of their accounts is set to a different country

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TeaJay posted:

Whatever the reason, it’s probably the publisher’s fault.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly don't get the nostalgia for Dungeon Siege at all. I played 1 when it was new and all I remember about it is that it is an incredible slog, basically a straight line of left-clicking enemies to stab or zap them. No character skills, nothing to mix up the combat, a completely forgettable story.

3 is actually pretty fun, though.

it's a rad tech demo, like actually insane at the time that they could stream the whole thing but it was super tedious to play. you had your fight guy, he got an endless stream of +1 upgrades to fight. you had your wizard guy, he had an endless stream of +1 upgrades to wizard. hold down forward until the end.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TeaJay posted:

it's so you can arrive at a puzzle, see someone working on it, solve it yourself and see they're still working on it and feel smug

Orv
May 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

it's so you can arrive at a puzzle, see someone working on it, solve it yourself and see they're still working on it and feel smug

Unironically incredibly important

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chalk another up for Islands of Insight looked extremely my poo poo on the one hand (puzzles) but the online co-op thing muddled it enough that I got confused and left it untouched.

Also the family sharing thing comes at a good time for me rear end I bought 2 PCs for my kids and was staring down the barrel of buying multiple copies of everything. Would still be nice to spread a one purchase across multiple PCs for co-op/Deathmatch whatever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

checked my wishlist and here are some defined dates for 2024 indie games:

Lightyear Frontier (Early Access) - March 19th (on Gamepass)
Bears in Space - March 22nd
Distant Bloom - March 27th
Terra Memoria - March 27th
Pepper Grinder - March 28th
Minishoot' Adventures - April 2nd
Biomorph - April 5th
Botany Manor - April 9th (I believe this will be on Gamepass)
Children of the Sun - April 9th
Ereban: Shadow Legacy - April 10th (I -think- this will be on Gamepass?)
Turbo Kid - April 10th
Dream Tactics - April 15th
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU - April 23rd (it's published by EA, so it might be on Gamepass in 6-12 months)
Another Crab's Treasure - April 25th (I -think- this will be on Gamepass?)
Abiotic Factor (Early Access) - May 2nd
Crow Country - May 9th
Animal Well - May 9th
Paper Trail - May 21st
Until Then - May 23rd
Selaco (Early Access) - May 30th
Little Locked Rooms - May TBD
#BLUD - June 18th

Less specific:

Loco Motive - Q2 2024
The End of the Sun - Q2 2024
Corsair's Madness - Q2 2024
Paper Perjury - Q2 2024
Mira & the Legend of the Djinns - Q2 2024
Hauntii - Q2 2024
Tracks of Thought - Q2 2024
Mythwrecked - Q3 2024

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 18, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
From what I've seen of Islands of Insight from watching the Cracking the Cryptic guys fumble around in it, it's 80% Witness-esque puzzle book puzzles and then 20% pointless filler collectibles and video gamey navigational stuff. The former is contentious all on its own and the latter acts as a filter to old farts who might otherwise be interested in a good puzzle game. Like I flatout would never even bother recommending the game to my dad.

The game also has a really bland tech demo-y art style that rubs me the wrong way. :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

while it's compared to The Witness i wouldn't really consider it a Witness like, as the puzzles don't 'power' things like The Witness

the primary puzzle type is logic grid which is already more interesting than just drawing a line, but also they have variants, so there's some picross-type logic grids, nurikabe-style logic grids, 'figure out the pattern' grids...

but then there's also 15 other puzzle types in the world, and the different enclaves (basically discrete levels) are often built around one of those 15 types. perspective puzzles, sliding blocks, match 3, 'parking lot' puzzles, literal glass mazes, etc. completing goals gives you the equivalent of a Mario 64 star (called a mirabillis cube), and you unlock later enclaves with those cubes. also the enclaves, have multiple cubes to earn because they'll have a bunch of extra puzzles

the game isn't lying when it says it has 10,000 puzzles in the game, although I do believe that half of them are in a rotating pool in the non-enclave open world islands (so that you can play at different times of day and not have exhausted all the content). you can get into a zen flow state just running around blasting puzzles one after another as you explore each island. it's a chill fun experience.

it just didn't need to be multiplayer at all. it's my #2 game of 2024 so far, and multiplayer played no part of that

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 18, 2024

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

The 7th Guest posted:

checked my wishlist and here are some defined dates for 2024 indie games:

Lightyear Frontier (Early Access) - March 19th (on Gamepass)
Bears in Space - March 22nd
Distant Bloom - March 27th
Terra Memoria - March 27th
Pepper Grinder - March 28th
Minishoot' Adventures - April 2nd
Biomorph - April 5th
Botany Manor - April 9th (I believe this will be on Gamepass)
Children of the Sun - April 9th
Ereban: Shadow Legacy - April 10th (I -think- this will be on Gamepass?)
Turbo Kid - April 10th
Dream Tactics - April 15th
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU - April 23rd (it's published by EA, so it might be on Gamepass in 6-12 months)
Another Crab's Treasure - April 25th (I -think- this will be on Gamepass?)
Abiotic Factor (Early Access) - May 2nd
Crow Country - May 9th
Animal Well - May 9th
Paper Trail - May 21st
Until Then - May 23rd
Selaco (Early Access) - May 30th
Little Locked Rooms - May TBD
#BLUD - June 18th

Less specific:

Loco Motive - Q2 2024
The End of the Sun - Q2 2024
Corsair's Madness - Q2 2024
Paper Perjury - Q2 2024
Mira & the Legend of the Djinns - Q2 2024
Hauntii - Q2 2024
Tracks of Thought - Q2 2024
Mythwrecked - Q3 2024

Sad we still haven't gotten a updated release date for Broken Roads. It got delayed in November of last year and the release date has been "Early 2024" since then. Hoping it doesn't get delayed again because IMO it looks like the a fun new "Disco-like" RPG.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

while it's compared to The Witness i wouldn't really consider it a Witness like, as the puzzles don't 'power' things like The Witness

the primary puzzle type is logic grid which is already more interesting than just drawing a line, but also they have variants, so there's some picross-type logic grids, nurikabe-style logic grids, 'figure out the pattern' grids...

but then there's also 15 other puzzle types in the world, and the different enclaves (basically discrete levels) are often built around one of those 15 types. perspective puzzles, sliding blocks, match 3, 'parking lot' puzzles, literal glass mazes, etc. completing goals gives you the equivalent of a Mario 64 star (called a mirabillis cube), and you unlock later enclaves with those cubes. also the enclaves, have multiple cubes to earn because they'll have a bunch of extra puzzles

the game isn't lying when it says it has 10,000 puzzles in the game, although I do believe that half of them are in a rotating pool in the non-enclave open world islands (so that you can play at different times of day and not have exhausted all the content). you can get into a zen flow state just running around blasting puzzles one after another as you explore each island. it's a chill fun experience.

it just didn't need to be multiplayer at all. it's my #2 game of 2024 so far, and multiplayer played no part of that

Mostly The Witness just feels like the closest point of comparison in that it's a collection of puzzles without a lot else inbetween. It's not even remotely akin to Myst and Talos is more Portal-esque, though the world design is loosely similar.

I don't want to come off as being super down on the game, just that from a business perspective Islands was never a game that was gonna be some big blockbuster release and I start to wonder if maybe someone thought otherwise, dumped a bunch a money into it, and then oops!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Potential security concerns surrounding Apex Legends: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/03/17/massive-apex-legends-hack-disrupts-na-finals-raises-serious-security-questions/

Be cautious about playing the game right now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Flair posted:

Potential security concerns surrounding Apex Legends: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/03/17/massive-apex-legends-hack-disrupts-na-finals-raises-serious-security-questions/

just deserts for EA, considering this from Friday:
https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1768344091082031206

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

just deserts for EA, considering this from Friday:
https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1768344091082031206

Hell yeah, gonna fire the team that's making the company millions if not billions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EA has nothing coming out that anyone is excited for except for Dragon Age 4, and Madden 2025. There's Sims 5 in development but we haven't seen anything about that yet, so I assume its still a long ways off.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/Apryze_/status/1769516394138206277
https://twitter.com/Grrted/status/1769524400464761338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Flair posted:

holy poo poo. that is insane.

wasnt apex from the titanfall guys? are they free to do something else again?