Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/ADiMarco25/status/1769779641391141031?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, I remember his skating being seen as an issue, but also some people thought he would adapt?

I also remember that someone had picked Hedman instead of Tavares in a mock, and people lost their minds. Maybe it was multiple people who did this, don't remember specifically, but I remember pushback.

Yeah that was definitely one of the years that people started engagement farming by putting the #2 player over the long-term consensus #1, gotta get people to click somehow. maybe they were right

Tavares definitely has managed to maintain his productivity, but back then there was a lot less emphasis on skating too. Hal Gill and Mike Komisarek were not only still in the league but signing big contracts, and while speed was obviously on the radar I don’t think anyone could accurately predict just how much more important skating has become every year since then.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Where the hell else has he been since 2022?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Wait he wasn’t there already?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So the “mild” high ankle sprain that Mitch gave himself trying to overcompensate for not shooting into an open net vs. Boston keeps getting less mild every day

https://x.com/markhmasters/status/1769778124403695959?s=20

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah that was definitely one of the years that people started engagement farming by putting the #2 player over the long-term consensus #1, gotta get people to click somehow. maybe they were right

Tavares definitely has managed to maintain his productivity, but back then there was a lot less emphasis on skating too. Hal Gill and Mike Komisarek were not only still in the league but signing big contracts, and while speed was obviously on the radar I don’t think anyone could accurately predict just how much more important skating has become every year since then.

IIRC a lot was said about how he worked on his skating early in his career or before his first NHL season. He was pretty passable overall, just not a real burner. He strikes me as a bit of a bargain basement Crosby in that a lot of his prowess came from being smart about how he played and used his talents, not just being the flashiest or most physical freak on the ice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Tavares has just not really been a superstar because he doesn't have any one A+ skill. He's pretty good at everything and it adds up to a consistently good 1C. Given the choice between his career or Pavelski's.... well, it would be a close call.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

The Islanders were also a part of the equation since they were not openly committing to picking Tavares in the way most teams picking 1st do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tavares improved his skating a fair bit as well. I remember his skating looking pretty raw in his rookie year. It never became good after that but he worked pretty hard on it and it did become at least to the point where it wasn't hurting him any more, even if it wasn't an asset.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tavares has just not really been a superstar because he doesn't have any one A+ skill. He's pretty good at everything and it adds up to a consistently good 1C. Given the choice between his career or Pavelski's.... well, it would be a close call.

Pavelski is still good tho

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Borderline HOFer falling into the disappointing end of expectations says quite a bit about how hyped Tavares was and that people do remember the hype. Like if Slakovsky would up as an 11-1200 point guy with a couple Hart finalist seasons, people would be pretty darn happy with how he turned out.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Spezza was another player who went from being the next Gretzky/Lemieux to regular top of the draft prospect because of skating concerns. And he would've been an easy Hall of Famer if his back hadn't exploded several times.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Expectations are always high when your uncle is the Wayne Gretzky of lacrosse.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I think Tavares definitely had Elite Superstar hype, despite his issues. He joined the OHL a year early, and had 72 goals as a 16-year old. He then followed it up with a slightly disappointing age-17 season (still great, just not capturing the magic he had a year before), and his skating issues were even more glaring.

Still a great career. Any time you have the chance to make the HHOF, you’ve done well.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Unlike the rest of his career, does he get a trophy for that?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

As a Wisconsin Badger I'm a massive Pavelski stan. He would have won the Conn Smyth in 2016 if the Pens didn't shut him down in the finals and the Sharks won. Also he very nearly had a breakaway in the 2010 Gold medal game right before Crosby's OT goal. If, and this is a huge loving if, those two things broke the other way I'd take Pavelski.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Those Sharks teams would have won at least one cup and probably more if not for Todd McLellan

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Tavares had very few 90-point seasons for a potential HOFer. (0)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

deoju posted:

As a Wisconsin Badger I'm a massive Pavelski stan. He would have won the Conn Smyth in 2016 if the Pens didn't shut him down in the finals and the Sharks won. Also he very nearly had a breakaway in the 2010 Gold medal game right before Crosby's OT goal. If, and this is a huge loving if, those two things broke the other way I'd take Pavelski.

joe pavelski grew up very close to me and used to do banger commercials like this so he's way better than tavares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyZsbhehvw

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tavares is going to have to play Patrick Marleau long with better production to be considered for anything.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Not getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in his ~15 seasons is a black mark on Tavares’ resumé as well. Even if it’s not entirely his fault, the HHOF committee will definitely hold it against him that he only has 55 playoff games in his career

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tavares hasn't even sniffed a finals? Gee willickers, I guess Jamie Benn is just better. :smug:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^Tavares never won an Art Ross :smug:

Big Leg posted:

joe pavelski grew up very close to me and used to do banger commercials like this so he's way better than tavares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyZsbhehvw

Hahah, loving amazing. 🥔

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 18, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/colinsnewsday/status/1769833824005812230

News looks better than expected for Lindgren.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spezza had some absolutely incredible seasons where he was a legitimate gamebreaker

I don't know that Tavares ever quite had those peaks save for maybe 1-2 seasons on the Islanders (and admittedly he had a much lesser supporting cast compared to peak Spezza) but all the same Spezza ain't sniffing the hall anytime soon and Tavares probably never unless he gets his name on a cup

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

MacKinnon seems to my eyes to be more clearly and consistently the best player on the ice than McDavid. That's not based on any real analysis or game impact, just "guy who looks obviously better than everybody else when he's out there" to me. I do probably watch more games involving Avs than Oilers though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Dirty Burger posted:

Not getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in his ~15 seasons is a black mark on Tavares’ resumé as well. Even if it’s not entirely his fault, the HHOF committee will definitely hold it against him that he only has 55 playoff games in his career

It's very funny the Isles immediately made two conference finals after Tavares left

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Tavares was a Hart trophy finalist twice. He had the misfortune of peaking during a period when scoring was down. He easily has a better career than Marleau and Spezza.

But he’s still only a possible HOF candidate, I think, rather than a slam dunk.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I mean he almost won some trophies and was pretty good for several seasons and won the World Cup of Hockey one time PLUS he was a first team NHL all-star in 2015.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Tavares is textbook "Hall of Very Good"

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
John Tavares is definitely going to make the HOF imo

He's got 1000 points already (and could likely get up to ~1250 if he plays 5 more years), will hit 500 goals, is a 6 time all star, 2 time Hart finalist, made an all-NHL first team, and is a Good Canadian Boy with some iconic WJC moments and victories including 2 golds, plus an Olympic gold and World Cup of Hockey win.

I agree that his career is clearly above those of Spezza and Marleau, even though he lacks any big award wins or team success.

I think an argument could absolutely be made that that's not good enough and that the bar should be higher, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't get in.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spezza has a John B. Sollenberger trophy and a Les Cunningham award

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

Tavares was a Hart trophy finalist twice. He had the misfortune of peaking during a period when scoring was down. He easily has a better career than Marleau and Spezza.

I agree with this, Tavares was one of the 5 best players in the league for a short stretch. The only reason he wasn't a Hart finalist 3 years in a row is because of injuries; in 2013-14 he was at a 92-point pace, which would have left everyone else in the dust minus Crosby. Much better career than either of those two.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-igor-eronko-mike-grier-russian-scout-2024-draft/

Mike Grier posted:

Igor didn’t meet the standard. For whatever reason, he wasn’t seeing games and wasn’t doing what we were asking of them. So we felt it was best to part ways with him.”

Grier elaborated: “We gave him several warnings about getting his reports in. Cleaning up his lists. And seeing games. You can’t scout or get a good feel of the players if you’re not at the rinks. For whatever reason, he was given plenty of notice that he needed to improve in this area, and he didn’t.”

Need to know how hard this guy was mailing it in because holy hell did he get sewered publicly. Guy is 41 and may never get a job in the league again

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Unless he breaks down immediately (which is a possibility) he's getting in. In general all these guys we think are borderline are going in and you have to worry about them inducting Rick Nash.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tavares was never a top 5 player in the league, Hart nominations be damned. He was top 10 in probably only two or three seasons.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

deoju posted:

Wow, I haven't heard about him at all lately and he's old as hell but still scoring just fine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pavelski may be the slowest forward in the NHL at this point but the man is a loving precog. It's disconcerting how often he's suddenly in exactly the right spot to make a play despite skating like he's underwater to get there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tavares was never a top 5 player in the league, Hart nominations be damned. He was top 10 in probably only two or three seasons.

I guess Alfredsson got in with a pretty similarly empty trophy case but even so, he's gonna be sitting a bit.

He's basically had the same career as Anze Kopitar but Kopitar has 2 cups and some selkes so he's a surefire thing

I'd put him Giroux/Backstrom-tier which is probably still good enough but they're gonna be waiting too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

John Tavares is a dollar store Dave Andreychuk.