Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/BalatroGame/status/1769688903378670004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How are you all getting so many enhanced cards and dupes? Isn’t it completely random if you get Death or Cryptid or anything?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So well deserved

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

How are you all getting so many enhanced cards and dupes? Isn’t it completely random if you get Death or Cryptid or anything?

Basically yes, but most runs you should be able to get some Death tarots.

There's also the DNA joker which gives you a free dupe every round, as long as you can afford to give up a hand (and maybe some discards.)

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

You can farm tarot cards a bunch of different ways. Purple seals, jokers that generate them, even having a massive cash stack and rerolling the shop a bunch.

Obviously there's still randomness but you can roll the dice pretty often.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

In my case I literally rerolled the shop over 200 times during the run. I saw a lot of death and strength cards and a handful of cryptids and whatever the one is that destroys a random card and makes 2 enhanced aces.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I was really really hoping it would be the “gently caress you!” Joker

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wow, purple+ sure is something.
A well-deserved milestone.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Make cool card game, make 10 million dollars. Its just that easy.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Blue deck is the best deck and I won't hear otherwise. Almost won my first orange stakes run (lost on the final boss of Ante 8, had to sell a joker and that nuked me) and have climbed pretty easily up to orange.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm trying to square my conviction that gold is best starter deck with the fact I would buy ante 1 grabber.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bus hustler posted:

Blue deck is the best deck and I won't hear otherwise. Almost won my first orange stakes run (lost on the final boss of Ante 8, had to sell a joker and that nuked me) and have climbed pretty easily up to orange.

It's really solid! Some of the more exotic decks are better but blue is quietly very good and possibly the strongest basic deck (yellow gives it a run for its money, but is definitely more feast-or-famine depending on early shops.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Yellow is the only deck I've cleared gold on. The Econ head start goes a long way towards getting a build up and running.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm increasingly convinced Money is more important of a concern than hands, discard, chips, or Mult. Not sure how that works, but more money seems to mean more success.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services hands, discards, chips and multi.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I could believe the gold deck is better on lower ante. You'd probably put Blue Deck above it at higher antes though since it's just so critical to not whiff at the first couple of shops, and getting a guaranteed 20% more points per round (or +$1 if you don't need that) gives you more breathing room.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm increasingly convinced Money is more important of a concern than hands, discard, chips, or Mult. Not sure how that works, but more money seems to mean more success.

CREAM baby.

But really, tons of money has direct benefits in the joker that gives you chips based on your money or juicing Red Card, and buys you a lot of flexibility to upgrade things with vouchers, reroll shops, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think it's an important balancing act that's responsible for a lot of the game's depth. The increased costs at orange stakes definitely drive home the importance of money, but more money doesn't always equal more power; the reroll mechanic means there's diminishing returns on your ability to dump money into improving your deck. And having better scoring potential also means you earn more money, both directly (more money from unspent hands) and indirectly (less money blown fishing for things to get through the next ante.) Trying to judge when you can afford to hold onto econ jokers (and when you can afford not to) feels like a big part of the game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just got this game yesterday what the gently caress it’s all I can think about

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I just got this game yesterday what the gently caress it’s all I can think about

:hmmyes:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For whatever reason I had assumed "saves you from death" for Mr. Bones was just like...an extra hand or something? Didn't realize it let you proceed to the next round.

Say, is it possible to get Mr. Bones as eternal?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oxyclean posted:

For whatever reason I had assumed "saves you from death" for Mr. Bones was just like...an extra hand or something? Didn't realize it let you proceed to the next round.

Say, is it possible to get Mr. Bones as eternal?

It is not.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I don’t think a game has had its hooks in me like this since Civ V came out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize until I had a run with it but Ceremonial Dagger works against Eternal jokers, you'll get the mult gain and get to keep the joker but if you have any non-Eternal jokers it will prioritize those first.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Popete posted:

I didn't realize until I had a run with it but Ceremonial Dagger works against Eternal jokers, you'll get the mult gain and get to keep the joker but if you have any non-Eternal jokers it will prioritize those first.

Unless I'm missing something Dagger only gets the multiplier if it destroys a joker. Madness does work as you're describing since it gets mult regardless of whether it destroys anything.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ceremonial Dagger works the same way, you get the +mult when it sacrifices an Eternal joker but you keep the joker.

Edit: Some Google searches says it doesn't? I could have sworn it works, I had a run the other day with it and won.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Popete posted:

Ceremonial Dagger works the same way, you get the +mult when it sacrifices an Eternal joker but you keep the joker.

Edit: Some Google searches says it doesn't? I could have sworn it works, I had a run the other day with it and won.

It definitely does not work like that. Wording on both:

Dagger: When Blind is selected, destroy card to the right and permanently add double its sell value to this Mult.

Madness: When Blind is selected, gain X0.5 Mult and destroy a random Joker.

Madness gets the mult first, then tries to destroy the joker. Dagger tries to destroy a joker, and if successful, adds the mult. I really wish it did work like you're saying but in my experience that's not the case.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Mr Bones got me an extremely cheap orange stakes win over the wall for ante 8 haha

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there some kind of bug affecting hand size modifiers? I thought I was just being inattentive to my hand size whenever I did something to change the hand size, but I made sure to note it when getting the paint brush voucher. I had 4 hand, purchased the vouchers and it didn't change. I've been playing the Checkered Deck, but I don't see it having any affect on hand size modifiers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are you confusing "hands" with "hand size"? The first is the blue number that is how many hands you can play, the second is how many cards you hold/draw in your hand.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hmm. I think I just might be doing that.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Thought I was clever running a high card build that had gotten my hand size down to 3 until I hit the Ante 8 Psychic

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Finally got a blue stake win and goddamn.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’ve gotten the Cavendish 5 times that I can remember (it’s definitely not much more.)

I’ve had it trigger twice. The odds seem horrendous against that happening. That’s loving xcom indeed.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I've had Big Mikes hold on for six loving antes. Bananas never do what you want.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm sure it will stop working at some point but so far i have beaten all of the color decks (red, blue, yellow, green, black) and a flush more or less carried all of the runs to the end

in related news "ehhh i'll just play one more game" three games later and it's one in the morning :sludgepal:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’ve gotten the Cavendish 5 times that I can remember (it’s definitely not much more.)

I’ve had it trigger twice. The odds seem horrendous against that happening. That’s loving xcom indeed.

bananowned

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zamujasa posted:

i'm sure it will stop working at some point but so far i have beaten all of the color decks (red, blue, yellow, green, black) and a flush more or less carried all of the runs to the end

in related news "ehhh i'll just play one more game" three games later and it's one in the morning :sludgepal:

Flush has really bad scaling, but it's easier to rig a deck to hit. Also, if you specialize in hearts, specifically, a lot of the scaling problem doesn't really matter.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Flush has really bad scaling, but it's easier to rig a deck to hit. Also, if you specialize in hearts, specifically, a lot of the scaling problem doesn't really matter.

What do hearts have going for them that the other suits don’t? First I’ve heard of this, I’m intrigued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

madmatt112 posted:

What do hearts have going for them that the other suits don’t? First I’ve heard of this, I’m intrigued

Each suit has an unlockable uncommon joker that gives suit-specific bonuses (better than the basic Greedy Joker etc. "+4 mult for this suit" jokers.) Hearts get Bloodstone which gives heart cards a random chance to double your multiplier, which scales vastly better than the fixed mult/chips bonuses that the club and spade equivalents have (and the diamond equivalent is just money for diamonds played, which is neat but doesn't do anything for your score.)