Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Annointed posted:

Does Tom not like his core cast anymore?

I mean, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

just hurry up and make Robot the psychopomp of the New People

hahahahaha it all comes together

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Annointed posted:

Does Tom not like his core cast anymore?

how many months straight of the loup show did we get again

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I wondered if Robot was going to be Annie's "out" from being a psychopomp. Leading the robots into life and death.

christmas boots posted:

I mean, do you?

:negative:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
That would be fitting with the theme of Annie's correct path in life being to give up on deciding on anything for herself and allowing the people and circumstances around her to fall out how they might.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I mean, do you?

No they all assassinated :(

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

how many months straight of the loup show did we get again

I thought it was years

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Loup there it is

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Tom can still save the comic, have Robot turn around and surprise it was Coyote

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

RocketMermaid posted:

gently caress

Gunnerkrigg Court: gently caress

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Who is she? Doesn't matter. She could be useful, though, but don't worry about her. Ignore her, but suddenly concerned about her presence! :mad:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Man, 3 or 4 years ago I would be reading this as a really good shot at demonstrating an altered state of mind, where Annie is trying desperately to figure out what the deal is with the girl, but some dreamlike quantity of the Zimmispace or some ability of the girl keeps forcing her thought process away. A small part of me wants to go with that interpretation, but my optimistic interpretations have been shredded too many times.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FIND OUT WHO SHE IS YOU loving IDIOT

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, like

Readers: "Annie and friends know Jerrek is Loup! Her behavior only makes sense that way! It's a honey trap to tell him about Omega!"

Comic: "They didn't know."

Readers: "Disappointing."

Comic: "Surprise, Robot blackmail!"

Readers: "I knew he was turning evil!"

Comic: "Actually, Robot told Annie and friends off-screen!"

Readers: "Uh"

Comic: "But this was later than you think, Annie didn't know when she told Loup about Omega"

Readers: "But..." :psyduck:

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lol is Robot really gonna just spill everything? I was looking forward to Annie and Kat happening upon his bullshit and conflict arising from that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm really hoping not-Zimmy turns out to be Coyote at this point.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Randalor posted:

I'm really hoping not-Zimmy turns out to be Coyote at this point.

I'm hoping she kicks her into the desert too.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And we couldn't have literally any other character or way to get into this robot scene why????

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Annointed posted:

And we couldn't have literally any other character or way to get into this robot scene why????

Imagine if we had switched to Shadow's POV for this, and allowed these two to have this exchange with only the other robots around, their own emotions upfront without Annie mediating between them and the reader.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fuuuuuuuuck now I wish we could have seen the distortion world from a numan's point of view rather than from Annie's. We know that people see things differently there, could have been a decent way to change things up while seeing familiar locations. Remember when we saw the afterlife place from Kat's point of view and she saw a nightmarish abomination as a guy with a Spirit Halloween glove? Good times... good times...

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Bald robot guy is back. Thought he died. Must have gotten better.

Edit: Oh, now that I'm not on a phone, I can see the hair. Dang, I miss bald robot guy.

Arbetor fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 18, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

i love how the comic continually shoots itself in the foot by saying "remember that time the comic was good? remember the really good thing that meant something to you at the time, that you once remembered fondly, and used as an example of how good this comic could be? just wanted to remind you that goodwill was completely undeserved"

it also almost stinks of an insecurity in his readers to remember things or consult the archives, like the reaction to the mind cage permanently marred his faith in the readers. i feel like a lot of the flashback cutaways and the dumbed down repetitive writing speak to that insecurity

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
to be fair, after the mind cage my desire to check the archives is basically nil so it's a fair concern

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Oh my loving god. We're doing this now? Annie is going to "find out" about the robot cult and have A Reaction to it now? After the bullshit of Kat's apotheosis staring everyone straight in the face and them all reacting completely blasé, suddenly Annie's going to care?

Is this loving comic being posted out of order or something?

e: Annie: "Jeez, Robot, I know Kat's a literal god with powers beyond mortal understanding, but you don't need to be so weird about it!"

PubicMice fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 18, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It sounds like Kat might finally fave consequences for reviving the robots that wanted to remain shut down, at least.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CodfishCartographer posted:

It sounds like Kat might finally fave consequences for reviving the robots that wanted to remain shut down, at least.

"haha, jeez!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RocketMermaid posted:

"haha, jeez!"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I cannot bring myself to believe that there is going to be an emotion reaction in character that is going to make the past few years bearable.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
What I don't understand is why Robot suddenly thinks doing this was bad. The last time we saw him he was just happily lying to Loup, and before that he was still preaching the gospel to New Humans. The consequences of him turning into a pile of barnacles were completely detached from his cult shenanigans.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
i feel kinda irrationally mad that this lovely fuckin chapter is referencing the best chapter in the comic's history (The Sky Watcher and the Angel). it feels. . . unearned? which i acknowledge makes zero loving sense cause it's still the same comic being written by the same author. it just feels so detached.

if mystery lady turns out to be the Sky Watcher, i'm going to fuckin flip my poo poo

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

DontMockMySmock posted:

i feel kinda irrationally mad that this lovely fuckin chapter is referencing the best chapter in the comic's history (The Sky Watcher and the Angel). it feels. . . unearned? which i acknowledge makes zero loving sense cause it's still the same comic being written by the same author. it just feels so detached.

if mystery lady turns out to be the Sky Watcher, i'm going to fuckin flip my poo poo

No, I know what you mean. It feels kind of like when a lovely spinoff/reboot/whatever tries to reference beloved fan favorite moments or characters. Like, how dare you try to cash in the nostalgia/good faith earned by an excellent piece of media when this is what you've turned the whole thing into.

It's very surreal to have it happen within the same body of work with the exact same creator (as far as we know - I would be 0% surprised to find out he's had a ghostwriter or something), but I guess you could argue that the only reason we consider Gunnerkrigg to be a single body of work is that the internet allows it to be continually published as such, where any other medium would force it to be broken up into volumes.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Riot Bus posted:

What I don't understand is why Robot suddenly thinks doing this was bad. The last time we saw him he was just happily lying to Loup, and before that he was still preaching the gospel to New Humans. The consequences of him turning into a pile of barnacles were completely detached from his cult shenanigans.

Well if he feels bad and regretful now, it'll be easier for Annie and the Gang to forgive him. If he got caught doing something shady, well then there might be actual conflict.

I'm getting odd parallels between Tony being self-pitying while drunk and Robot now feeling bad cuz he's Barnacle Robot.

DontMockMySmock posted:

It was "Give and Take", which was also fantastic, imo. This all feels weird and unearned to me too. The last we really heard about Robot, he seemed duplicitous with Loup, then it turns out he told the Gang immediately, but this was kept hidden from us for reasons. I am honestly expecting him to be forgiven much easier because Annie has caught him boohooing. Maybe he'll take on the psychopomp work as an honor and a punishment. And bam, Robot arc done. *picks up chalk. Crosses Robot's name off next to Tony's*

The uneven tone hasn't been helping either, which has been contributing to the chapters feeling less distinct in general. We started this with Annie confronting an Important Character, we blooped around, and now we're dealing with Robot's reckoning? I have to assume (haha), there is a reason Zimmy-bot is here for such a serious moment.

And oh gawd, I thought "Devil's Due" would be about Kat but it's about Robot auuugh.

Edit: I should clarify the tone was uneven through "Into the Distortion" and "World is a Dead Thing" (lol hauling dear old dead Sam around). This chapter's tone has been kinda even, if odd.

Edit 2: I do like the art on this page though!

catapede fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 18, 2024

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Remember how last time we went into the distortion world and it was a bunch of faffing around and then they wrote off the best character (double Annie) without explanation or fanfare. This is definitely how Robot is getting written off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
feels like this is a robot at the end of his arc from a different, better iteration of the comic that didn't get tony-and-loup'd to death

for a while now it's been knocking out one plot arc after another with the zimmyverse as connective tissue, kind of like how shonen jump comics sometimes finish five or six years' worth of storylines during the final months-long big bad guy fight because the author has to literally wrap up the comic or die trying. except we also have this nonsense with the black-haired girl literally hanging around in the background too. introducing another mystery no one asked for and then repeatedly sidelining it to solve other mysteries no one was thinking of makes both sides feel inane

this might pull up a little if she factors into robot's plight in some way but right now she's just rubbernecking

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Are other gunnerkrigg fans aware of how bad this fell off?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Annointed posted:

Are other gunnerkrigg fans aware of how bad this fell off?

maybe, probably?

I'll be honest I was kind of reading it out of habit before I poked my head back into the thread at, I recall, some point where it was just so headpants that I had to bitch about it, I suspect people more sane than me just stopped reading it

it's also the last webcomic I bother keeping up a very old habit of "Checking a comic on a MWF update schedule" for so once this is done for better or worse I'm free, free forever

e: remember when the updates were so good that someone(s) randomly dropped avatars on people posting because nearly every comic had something avatar-worthy going on

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It’s not a great way of judging but since the comment section expires on the site, it’s the only idea I have besides here - reddit has had a slow decline of content. 4 years ago there’s morecstuff like fanart and theories. If you look at r/gunnerkrigg now almost every post is an auto-mod page update for months, not much of an active fandom.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh it wasn't even something bad that made me post again, it another instance of something that was almost good

e: it's just wild, wild, how many instances of there almost being consequences and then just nothing, it's fine, don't worry about it

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 19, 2024

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I read slice of life that dealt with fallout better.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

coolusername posted:

It’s not a great way of judging but since the comment section expires on the site, it’s the only idea I have besides here - reddit has had a slow decline of content. 4 years ago there’s morecstuff like fanart and theories. If you look at r/gunnerkrigg now almost every post is an auto-mod page update for months, not much of an active fandom.

That's a pretty clear sign of decaying public interest, and I know that people not on here were talking about dropping GKC a long time ago. Ironically, it was mostly 'this is good but really hard, and I want to see how it handles it in the end' when Tony showed up, and then none of those people ever came back to the comic because when they tried it had fallen off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Annointed posted:

I read slice of life that dealt with fallout better.

questionable content has literally done more impactful long-term consequences of interpersonal conflict at this point and it doesn't even have a plot