Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Deakul posted:

Man, Turbo Overkill has all of the ingredients for a game I'd absolutely love but I hate the level design 5 levels in, just boring messes of corridors and huge open jump pad-heavy vertical spaces and the sound design is absolutely awful. Explosions seemingly have no sound effect at all, a few of the guns feel like they're missing effects, the chainsaw leg is all but completely silent, there's no foot steps, some levels open with complete silence; like no real music or any contextual sound effects for what's happening on the screen... Like all I ever really hear are the gun shots, rare music tracks, and the enemy barks. And the upgrade system is just... what the hell were they actually thinking? It's a clunky mess of worthless modifiers besides the major upgrades.

I feel like the level design has plenty of time to improve as the game goes on but the whole thing feels anemic with the lack of sound effects and a tad over-designed with a dumb upgrade system that doesn't really add much to the game.

I've heard this a few times about TO's weapons sounding weak, but rarely anything about HROT, I don't get it lol. The gun sounds weren't amazing, kinda had a weird scifi sound to them, but it's there, I thought they all had decent impact sounds. Chainsaw leg has sound too, it's really quiet, but considering how many enemies they have you chop up later in the game, I'm kinda glad for that.
You should definitely be hearing music, every stage has it. Do you have your sound settings misconfigured somewhere?

The upgrade system gives you a ton of choices in how you move around the level and your weapon abilities so idk what you mean about it not adding much. That was actually one of my favorite parts of the game

Mordja posted:

Something else I appreciated about TO is that it had its own large enemy roster that was both varied and readable, and wasn't just Doom's or Quake's.

Yeah, and once they start introducing snipers, giving you a sniper with the ability to telefrag is just amazing

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hate you all for suggesting Legend of the Seven Paladins now I want to play it.

RE Cultic Performance: There are some weird spots, the outside of the boat in the shipyard is one of these inexplicably, where performance just tanks. We're talking a loss of 40 or so frames at those spots without a single enemy in sight. It was fine when I was running well into the 120 but when I was running on a weaker setup going from 60 to 20 was unplayable and I had to switch to the beefier setup.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

There are also a couple odd QOL nitpicks, there's no "Continue" on the main menu so you have to manually load your game, and then the saves aren't sorted newest-to-oldest and the beginning-of-level saves always seemed to be at the top of the list for me, with the most recent save a few spots down the list. Again, that's an incredibly minor thing, but there are a handful of little quirks like that which give it a kind of unpolished feel (which is totally understandable since it's apparently made by one guy). Definitely excited to see where Chaper 2 goes.

This is actually my main gripe.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is actually my main gripe.

You can just slam quickload/F9 as soon as you see the 3D Realms logo, no need to use the menu.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Cultic's shotgun is an absolute delight, especially once you get the reload speed upgrade. It's not QUITE Blood's sawn-off but it's close. This is some of the highest praise I can offer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Cultic's shotgun is an absolute delight, especially once you get the reload speed upgrade. It's not QUITE Blood's sawn-off but it's close. This is some of the highest praise I can offer.

It is significantly better than bloods shotgun, its absurd. The pushback upgrade on it launches large enemies backwards so the only things a double barrel blast doesn't instantly mulch it pushes back far enough your speed reload is ready before the close the distance again.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Gone through wrath on outlander and collected all of the achievements on the way. I think I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around despite the flaws, but the biggest component of it for me is the movement. It's just immensely satisfying to bunny hop around the maps, figure out fun little sequence breaking jumps and blade dash enemies. Without the movement stuff i'd probably be bored to tears.

Speedrunning fellas are already figuring out some nice tricks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MosJIYq0c9Q

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

Gone through wrath on outlander and collected all of the achievements on the way. I think I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around despite the flaws, but the biggest component of it for me is the movement. It's just immensely satisfying to bunny hop around the maps, figure out fun little sequence breaking jumps and blade dash enemies. Without the movement stuff i'd probably be bored to tears.

Lol, I only needed... 80x more time to finish that level.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

koren posted:

I was very outspoken about using glitches in DOOM during speedrunning (and still am), but this is just beautiful. I spent a lot of time wiggling with the blade-dash trying to see if I could deflect off of angled walls, and the payoff was seeing a very obvious secret in an inaccessible spot that you had to use ping-pong physics to launch your self up into, validating all of my practice. So yea, the blade dash is explicitly meant to do such silly shortcut tricks, I love it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Me trying not to get infuriated by a youtube video before even watching it challenge: difficulty level impossible

Edit: I'm 40 minutes in and I've been like this the whole time

Edit 2:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 18, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Barudak posted:

It is significantly better than bloods shotgun, its absurd. The pushback upgrade on it launches large enemies backwards so the only things a double barrel blast doesn't instantly mulch it pushes back far enough your speed reload is ready before the close the distance again.

Yeah it's the real workhorse weapon in the game for me. It's so strong even half upgraded and once fully, it's basically faultless. For a double barrel at least. It's only weakness is being slightly weak without upgrades which lasts until the start of the second level, so basically the whole game it dominates.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Me trying not to get infuriated by a youtube video before even watching it challenge: difficulty level impossible

Edit: I'm 40 minutes in and I've been like this the whole time

Edit 2:

Ok, but which FPS introduced Turbo Time and a toilet that's just for farts?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

People keep trying to tell me that Marathon was good and important and I keep trying to play it and I keep realizing that no it isn't and it wasn't.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

People keep trying to tell me that Marathon was good and important and I keep trying to play it and I keep realizing that no it isn't and it wasn't.
Right? I'm not even sure how infuential it was, apart from obviously affecting Halo and that's definitely not an extenuating circumstance.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HolyKrap posted:

I've heard this a few times about TO's weapons sounding weak, but rarely anything about HROT, I don't get it lol. The gun sounds weren't amazing, kinda had a weird scifi sound to them, but it's there, I thought they all had decent impact sounds. Chainsaw leg has sound too, it's really quiet, but considering how many enemies they have you chop up later in the game, I'm kinda glad for that.
You should definitely be hearing music, every stage has it. Do you have your sound settings misconfigured somewhere?

The upgrade system gives you a ton of choices in how you move around the level and your weapon abilities so idk what you mean about it not adding much. That was actually one of my favorite parts of the game
I only tried the HROT demo and that's all that I cared to try, did not like it at all.

But no, this is literally the only game that I've ever really had an audio problem with.

The audio isn't really missing but it might as well be given how drat quiet most of the effects seem to be, it's especially egregious with your explosive weapons... I just got the rocket launcher and it doesn't even have an impact noise? Enemies just kinda splat when they get hit with the explosion.

re: Upgrade system, yes, for the major abilities maybe but the little chips you use to augment those abilities seem superfluous.
I'm only 5 levels in though so maybe it expands more but I can't bring myself to want to play any more of a game that feels weirdly unfinished in some areas... good sound design is a huge factor in my enjoyment with boomshoots.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Marathon 1 is a rough but important in how many 'firsts' it did in FPSes, but the Marathon 2 campaign is still my favorite classic FPS campaign by far and away - like, I would replay retail M2 over retail Doom 2 ten times out of ten. The level design is tight, the gunplay is great, the encounters are fun, and the whole experience does a great job getting across 'you are a small but integral part of a much bigger conflict' within the technological limitations of the time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DoombatINC posted:

Marathon 1 is a rough but important in how many 'firsts' it did in FPSes, but the Marathon 2 campaign is still my favorite classic FPS campaign by far and away - like, I would replay retail M2 over retail Doom 2 ten times out of ten. The level design is tight, the gunplay is great, the encounters are fun, and the whole experience does a great job getting across 'you are a small but integral part of a much bigger conflict' within the technological limitations of the time.

Yeah I agree, M2 is the best FPS campaign pre-HL1 by a ways. M1 and Infinity are both good in stretches but also have, let’s say, problems with a smooth progression. And at least one level each that seems to have been created solely to waste the player’s time.

I wonder if Steam Marathon will support fan scenarios. I’d love an excuse to go through Apotheosis or Rubicon again…maybe not so much Eternal.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Marathon 2 does indeed rule and this is going to make me sound psychotic but imo Bungie's only genuinely good game top to bottom until Halo 3.

But with regards to M1, a lot of the firsts it did, especially touted in that video, were done by both Doom and System shock (coming out almost to the day 1 year and 2 months respectively before) and significantly better. And even though I do really, really like Marathon 2 it got outclassed by Dark Forces, which once again came out several months before. Like I'm sorry but yeah Marathon had, I guess reloading and secondary fire attacks and mouselook, but System Shock pretty much laid the groundwork for half the design ethos of the drat industry.

If you've played a 3D Action Adventure title post 1994 then Shock's DNA is pumping in its veins. M1 just gets smoked top to bottom in both directions in terms of art direction, level design, music, sprites, and storytelling and it makes me crazy to see it spoken as some landmark title.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

M1 just gets smoked top to bottom in both directions in terms of art direction, level design, music, sprites, and storytelling

See I just fundamentally don't agree with any of that (except maybe level design) but a lot of those are subjective enough things that it's entirely personal preference

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Bungie needs to get off its rear end and ditch Marathon for the Pathways into Darkness reboot we all want and need.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Bungie should actually go back to Myth

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

szary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcRCZmTKqW8

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot they're making a marathon reboot. Isn't it like. A PUBG clone or something.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Grimthwacker posted:

Bungie needs to get off its rear end and ditch Marathon for the Pathways into Darkness reboot we all want and need.

If the new Marathon was an actual proper reboot, ya know a narrative driven single player shooter, I'd buy 20,000 copies but also I think PoD is one of those older games that is perfect reboot/reimagining material. Such an excellent concept.

szary posted:

I would also go for this.

In Training posted:

Oh yeah I forgot they're making a marathon reboot. Isn't it like. A PUBG clone or something.

Tarkov style extraction shooter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

It's been described as an extraction shooter, so more of a Tarkov clone, or at least that's their go-to inspiration example. No in-game material has been shown and it's currently targeting 2025

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I gotta say, I absolutely love Bungie's pre-Halo games. Such a variety, and even the worst is still pretty drat solid. I consider Myth/Myth 2 to be Bungie's masterpieces, honestly. Shout-out to Oni, which has flaws (like the overly realistic level design) but the brawling is top-notch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deakul posted:

I only tried the HROT demo and that's all that I cared to try, did not like it at all.

But no, this is literally the only game that I've ever really had an audio problem with.

The audio isn't really missing but it might as well be given how drat quiet most of the effects seem to be, it's especially egregious with your explosive weapons... I just got the rocket launcher and it doesn't even have an impact noise? Enemies just kinda splat when they get hit with the explosion.

re: Upgrade system, yes, for the major abilities maybe but the little chips you use to augment those abilities seem superfluous.
I'm only 5 levels in though so maybe it expands more but I can't bring myself to want to play any more of a game that feels weirdly unfinished in some areas... good sound design is a huge factor in my enjoyment with boomshoots.

The weapon sounds sucked but I don't think it was as bad as you're making it out to be. I hardly noticed after a point. Though that would explain why you didn't like hrot, the smg in particular was piddly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If I had to avoid every indie boomer shooter because of bad weapon sounds, I’d have nothing to play. lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Spending 2500 bucks on cabbages to get the perfect axe in the head sound

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I agree that the weapons in HROT sound piddly, but I think for some reason it kinda works with the rest of the word grossness of the game. My only real complaint is the lack of damage feedback from the crossbow. Maybe if there was more of a bloody fountain or a noise on hit, or if it pushed enemies back a little I'd feel better about it. Some way to know that you scored a direct hit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'd be fine if it actually did real damage like the one in dusk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

considering most indie games get their sounds from Freesound, it's time for gamers to be the change they wish to see in the world and start buying microphones and squishable vegetables

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I want to be the first foley artist to go to prison for capturing my sound effects

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just hire me (seriously).

I love making weapon sounds. I have so many options and tools and just.... I don't know, when I hear bad sound, I mentally go through steps to make it better, like "What Would Rupert Do?"

I kind of dropped off from doing it a few years ago, but I'm back, babyyyyyy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just hire me (seriously).

I love making weapon sounds. I have so many options and tools and just.... I don't know, when I hear bad sound, I mentally go through steps to make it better, like "What Would Rupert Do?"

I kind of dropped off from doing it a few years ago, but I'm back, babyyyyyy.

I swear to god, if I hire you and it turns out you make all of your sounds by mouth, I'm gonna be so pissed

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Bad foley doesn't even seem to just be an indie problem anymore. The weapon fire and reload sfx for Halo Infinite, a game which shares its title with its budget, sounds like complete dog rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43SC3Bl4RG8&t=146s

If I'm reloading a big chunky assault rifle from the 26th century it better produce more than some mild clicks and clanks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wasn't there a half life mod like that

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

verbal enema posted:

wasn't there a half life mod like that

I'm not sure but in searching for one, I turned up this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn4GwmeZTOM

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

There was definitely a Marathon 1 mod for that too, I distinctly remember the pistol firing sound was "Pow!" and the reload was "BAAANG shlick-shlock"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marathon 1 had an arsenal mod or two, but Infinity made the concept unviable with changes to how its mod support worked