Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
“I only pass gas once a year, for an hour, atop a mountain in Switzerland.” – Jack Donaghy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
*me, showering before bed*
5yo, wearing goggles, using straw as snorkel: what kind of sea animal are you?
Me: dunno
5yo: you can be a blob fish.
Me: :mad:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Day 9 of sick baby and for the first time we got a poop that was slightly less diarrhea looking than before. That was this morning and we've had nothing since then, when before he'd poop every 3-4 hours. I've never celebrated a single poop so much in my life. Not even when potty training the senior offspring have I been so relieved to see poop. Parenting is weird.

I'm the words of our pediatrician friend, what the gently caress.

Maybe finally we can start figuring out why I've been peeing out of my butt for the past 3 days, but I'm going to treat that like the rest of my problems and ignore it until it goes away.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Trying to get our kid to be a hydrohomie to keep the guts nice and hydrated. Our carefree transition to open cups is biting us in the butt because straws are just getting used to blow bubbles and drinking an 8oz cup takes forever.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

We've had good luck with these:

Munchkin 360 sippy cups

Especially because three out of four monsters didn't like bottles.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
For water just get them on water bottles straight away. No spills, but not sippy cups if you're trying to move on from that.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I’m just nervous(freaking out?) about putting my child before judgment where perceived milestones for us, may not mean anything to the judges and that even if things are in our favor, he may not get the help he needs, in a timely manner.

Everything is fine.

I just want to say you're already doing a great job. Right off the bat you've already gotten an independent assessment, you've been thinking over the options, you're coming to the meeting prepared with your concerns. Already you are above average when it comes to advocating for your kid in what is an overwhelming situation.

Something to keep in mind is that this is just the start of the process. Your kid is a moving target, changing very rapidly at this age. Their IEP will need regular adjustment to change with them as they grow.

I don't know the details of NY's district 75, but it's always a big decision to make a shift like that. Sometimes it's necessary and crucial for the child, but the standard these days is, outside of extreme cases, to keep the kids as integrated as possible with the general student body.

Assistive technology can be great for that, particularly with a less verbal student. The key is a class environment where your kid is getting the necessary support to use it effectively. I'd encourage you to make sure the IEP includes a measurable goal around using the AT effectively and that if progress isn't being made on that goal, you'll need a supplemental meeting to address it, by for example bringing in an aide for at least part of the day.

e: I forgot one last point about your quoted concern. Legally you are the most important 'judge' on the IEP team. You have veto power and nothing can be done without your approval. You should raise the milestones you care about if the teachers aren't proposing them and a good IEP team will work with you to discuss them and integrate them into the IEP.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 17, 2024

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
2 year old has been an absolute nightmare the past two days, hair trigger, everything is wrong and a tantrum. So unlike his usual personality. I’m guessing maybe ear infection? But man is it tedious until he gets over it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

babygout has decided golf is the funniest thing on tv. so much so we can't let him watch golf at night because it gets him too amped up before bed.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

We've had good luck with these:

Munchkin 360 sippy cups

Especially because three out of four monsters didn't like bottles.

My 1.1 year uses these, I like them quite a bit. They don’t leak if sideways, but if they’re thrown /droppedon the ground they will spill a bit. So like for water it’s not much, but definitely will gently caress up carpet if it’s a staining liquid or milk.

We started him on them a while back and he figured it out in a couple days. Now he’ll drink a bottle of milk and a few cupfuls of water from these. I think he gets confused if there’s anything but water in these so we don’t mix up liquids.

I mostly like it because there’s no straw to wash. Just slap in dishwasher and it gets good and clean.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The munchkin cups rule, highly recommended.

It loving rules so much that no matter how late they go to sleep they still wake up at the same goddamn time. Please just sleep in a little. You don't need to be awake at 6 every morning, especially if you went to bed at 930 or 10. Now our three year old is just going to be overtired all day and still refuse to nap, meaning he's going to be a terror the entire day.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Olanphonia posted:

The munchkin cups rule, highly recommended.

It loving rules so much that no matter how late they go to sleep they still wake up at the same goddamn time. Please just sleep in a little. You don't need to be awake at 6 every morning, especially if you went to bed at 930 or 10. Now our three year old is just going to be overtired all day and still refuse to nap, meaning he's going to be a terror the entire day.

This is us every weekend with our 4 year old. Now with a 3 month old in the mix, a successful weekend is both kids alive by Monday morning while both parents avoid losing their temper.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Someone could have warned me about the last story in "The House at Pooh Corner". Christopher Robin saying wistful goodbyes to Pooh and leaving Hundred Acre Wood now that he has grown older is not the thing to read as a bedtime story when your toddler is starting daycare the next day.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Left kiddo at grandmas house for two days and then came over today to pick him up and eat corned beef and cabbage.

“He’s been absolutely perfect, not a single tear.”

Oh no. That means he’s been bottling them all up inside and now I get all of them.

Sure enough - massive tantrum right before we sit down to eat.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Doll House Ghost posted:

Someone could have warned me about the last story in "The House at Pooh Corner". Christopher Robin saying wistful goodbyes to Pooh and leaving Hundred Acre Wood now that he has grown older is not the thing to read as a bedtime story when your toddler is starting daycare the next day.

what's it like posting while crying in the fetal position

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
That reminds me, I ought to get the Calvin And Hobbes final strip as a poster.

Maybe pair it one of the best "Calvin's Dad" strips so I can be both Calvin and his dad.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Doll House Ghost posted:

Just add Kenny Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner to the bedtime song set list

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My 5 year old was very excited for the new book he picked out at the scholastic fair. That happened to be the same day mommy and daddy never came home due to an unexpected trip to the hospital. So instead, we had an unplanned sleepover at Grandma's, who he made read him his new book.

The name of the book? The Kissing Hand.

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

You are not the only lost soul in this world.

Qwijib0 posted:

Just add Kenny Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner to the bedtime song set list

Highway To the Blowout Zone?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Doll House Ghost posted:

How about the time I used "Puff the Magic Dragon" as the song for my dance with my mom at my wedding, because I associated it with her singing to me as a child but didn't think through the emotional ramifications of the last verse, and had her absolutely sobbing...

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Muir posted:

How about the time I used "Puff the Magic Dragon" as the song for my dance with my mom at my wedding, because I associated it with her singing to me as a child but didn't think through the emotional ramifications of the last verse, and had her absolutely sobbing...

Noooo now I’m crying.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Muir posted:

Ah gently caress my mom sang me to this too and now I’m also crying. I’m not sure if she skipped the last verse or if I never paid attention before.

Why’d you unzip me?

I sing “My Favorite Things” to my son every night because my mom was a big Sound of Music fan and she sang it to me also.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

For a while there it seemed like the only way I could get the baby to drink his bottle and go to sleep was by singing Stan Rogers songs. "Make and Break Harbor" usually did the trick.

The children yearn for the sea.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
To cut down on accidental crying, do what I do and sing Appalachian murder ballads to your children. With adjusted lyrics to cut down on the creepy factor, of course.

This life hack was brought to you by Raising Arizona, a great movie that does, ironically, make me cry every time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

For a while there it seemed like the only way I could get the baby to drink his bottle and go to sleep was by singing Stan Rogers songs. "Make and Break Harbor" usually did the trick.

I have had some luck keeping my infant calm with "drunken sailor", though i can't remember any of the verses beyond the one with the scupper and the hosepipe, so i usually end up making up my own baby-related ones

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Stan Rogers' "Barrett's Privateers" my go-to when our older one was a newborn, but the young one never cared for it.

Recently introduced the toddler to "We Will Rock You" and it's a big hit but she's having a very difficult time figuring out stomp-stomp-clap.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Our two eldest got lots of Leonard Cohen and still like me singing "One of us cannot be wrong" from time to time.

The youngest two mostly get "Ashes to Ashes".

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

esquilax posted:

Stan Rogers' "Barrett's Privateers" my go-to when our older one was a newborn, but the young one never cared for it.

Recently introduced the toddler to "We Will Rock You" and it's a big hit but she's having a very difficult time figuring out stomp-stomp-clap.

She was getting the hang of the air guitar last I saw, though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My default lullabies have always been Rainbow Connection and Dreams (cranberries), which actually transition nicely between each other. But when my older kid was a baby and needed more duration of singing than that I would start working my way through Appalachian and English folk songs that all have kinda hosed up lyrics, but they're melodic and I know them so :shrug:

I don't do lullabies to my 5yo anymore but she remembers - recently on a hike i tried to sing Rainbow Connection as we walked and she said "dad you're gonna make me fall asleep"

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Chillmatic posted:

To cut down on accidental crying, do what I do and sing Appalachian murder ballads to your children. With adjusted lyrics to cut down on the creepy factor, of course.

This life hack was brought to you by Raising Arizona, a great movie that does, ironically, make me cry every time.

Or don't adjust the lyrics, "Hang me Oh hang me" is one of our standards. Although I probably sing the innocuous "Pretty Saro" or "Goodnight Irene," more often.

e:Now that I think about, "Goodnight Irene" is about the singer contemplating suicide after his wife dies, so might not be so innocuous but a great lullaby.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 20, 2024

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Pham Nuwen posted:

esquilax posted:

For a while, daycare trips were set to Fogarty’s Cove, especially “The Wreck of the Athens Queen.”

I tried to tease out what the similar melody in “Giant” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” was and what its source was from but that was pushing my luck with a toddler’s attention.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

I sing this exact song to my toddler as well. Stan Rogers has been a fixture in our sleep routine since the beginning.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My husband used to sing No Surprises to our newborn because it sounds like a lullaby

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

hallo spacedog posted:

My husband used to sing No Surprises to our newborn because it sounds like a lullaby

This was my daughter’s favorite song when she was an infant, the most soothing song I ever found for her. I should start singing it to her now before bedtime, but speaking of sad songs 🥲

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Lol. Portishead's "Wandering Star" is another great soothing song with wildly depressing lyrics.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I rocked my baby to sleep many times crooning Methamphetamine by Old Crow Medicine Show.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter would calm down to Painkiller by Judas Priest or Super Freak by Rick James. Have no idea why but it worked! Between my wife and myself she's going to have a very eclectic music library.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Both my kids fell asleep to Bamboo Bones by Against Me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My songs are just all incredibly sad Sarah Slean songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I sing my kid the Replacements because I’m cool