Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kyle Harrison went 5 strong innings today and has a 1.93 ERA this spring (speaking of totally sustainable stats).There will be growing pains but the kid is legit. Signing Snell should take a little pressure off him being the #2 starter too.

With Harrison and Jung Hoo Lee, the Giants have a couple of legit Rookie of the Year candidates. Been a while since we could say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

Monty is a former Yankee, Cardinal and Ranger, there's a good chance he just despises the Astros

But yes I'd like Monty

Let me tell you one weird trick to get a player to play for your team

Pay them more than other teams will

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Bauer news. I am not going to link to his Twitter.

Looks like he is not returning to NPB.

Twitter posted:

I’ll be pitching against the @Yankees on March 24 as a member of the @diablosrojosmx. I’ve also agreed to pitch 5 games for the Diablos between April 11 and May 8 in lieu of a traditional spring training period as it’s the best way for me to stay ready to pitch. This will help me stay in game shape and I’ll be able to join a rotation immediately if or when an MLB offer comes. Hope to see you on Sunday and can’t wait to show y’all what Mexican baseball is all about!

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Ah. Time for his Kenny Powers arc.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol, did Bauer get banned from Japan or something?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
He tweeted about how he totally supports the us army guy who drunk drove and killed Japanese citizens so I think that made a lot of Npb teams question if it was worth it to sign him

E: actually it was a navy guy I guess. But that’s the basic story as far as I know

E2: apparently it wasn’t drunk driving but he fell asleep behind the wheel and was found liable

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 19, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

DJLM has a foot injury again and might miss opening day. Lol and lmao

A big theory of the case this season was relying on old done players to not be hurt who are going to be hurt (DJLM, Rizzo and Stanton). I will once again say that they didn't do enough to turn over the rest of the position players on the roster other than the Soto trade.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

E2: apparently it wasn’t drunk driving but he fell asleep behind the wheel and was found liable

have my own doubts about his “moment of unconsciousness” but regardless drunk/drugged US GIs kill on average at least a person or two every year on Okinawa and that’s just the iceberg tip when it comes to criminal behavior out there, anyone with any sense (hence not Bauer) would just shut the gently caress up

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Snell went to the Giants because apparently the Yankees and Astros stopped at 30m/year. So, they both let him go elsewhere over a million bucks that could have been deferred.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I predict that within a few years Boras will produce hard evidence that the MLB owners have been colluding specifically to not pay his clients. I believe that is quite plainly what they are doing, and even though I obviously can't prove it, Boras is smarter than they are and sooner or later he'll find the evidence to prove it and nail them to the wall.

Then again that may all happen and we'll never hear about it--he may just demand and receive a gigantic payoff to not take it public.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shrewd business sense!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/cdgoldstein/status/1769913444399034418?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't opt in to anything actually.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

No it was drunk driving, "fell asleep behind the wheel" is the bullshit excuse he and his family were using to decry how unjust it was that Japan would dare to impose consequences on a US national for recklessly killing Japanese citizens on Japanese soil.

Inspector_666 posted:

Snell went to the Giants because apparently the Yankees and Astros stopped at 30m/year. So, they both let him go elsewhere over a million bucks that could have been deferred.

Only the Dodgers know how to defer money.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

why is falling asleep behind the wheel better than driving drunk.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Because off the cuff it sounds more like an accident rather than the direct result of a decision to get behind the wheel while intoxicated. Obviously you could dig deeper onto why somebody would fall asleep and have that end up being the result of bad choices as well, but at a surface level it sounds... idk softer I guess?

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1769932689157627963
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1769951469393101080

I won't post the whole article but tl;dr players outside the upper echalon of FA's are very annoyed about how the last couple FA seasons have gone and are convinced the current #2 in the union Meyer is too in bed with the big time agents and the interests of superstar FA's at the expense of everybody else, and want him replaced with Marino, who led drive to get minor leaguers unionized and is (presumably) viewed as caring more about getting everybody a slice instead of just the best of the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What don't they like about the last two offseasons, specifically

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's a bit confusing because Meyer led their most recent CBA negotiations which mostly produced improvements for everyone outside that top FA class of players, and the most recent CBA was probably the union's most successful in many years.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
At the same time as the Snell announcement popped off, a much smaller announcement went out. The Giants and Renel Brooks Moon "parted ways".

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2024/3/19/24104872/mlb-2024-san-francisco-giants-renel-brooks-moon-part-ways

Gonna be weird to be at Oracle and not hear her voice. Maybe they went into arbitration and she won.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Between the two articles the gist seems to be that:
a) Teams spent around $1B less in FA spending this year than last year, and the Dodgers themselves account for an outsized portion of the money spent, most of it going to two guys.
b) The "middle class" of FA's have for years been frustrated that between the age of prospects and superstars they get squeezed out and feel like this is in part because the union is more focused on helping agents chase the next biggest contract ever.
c) Players want an audit of the MLBPA's finances and also want more resources to go to its bargaining and negotiating teams.
d) Part of this is probably also that Meyer and Marino have butted heads a lot behind closed doors - particularly when it came to how to unionize the minors - so Marino's likely perceived among players as somebody who'd definitely change course from what Meyer's been doing above all else.

It's entirely possible there's some legit gripes with Meyer but also apparently this whole thing got kicked off after Clark was made aware of a player mass-text chain gaining steam for ousting Meyer so it could also just be a dumb game of telephone that's setting this guy up as the scapegoat for ownership collusion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Only the Dodgers know how to defer money.

The Giants deferred half of the 2024 salary to 2027! I guess it's just a California thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Between the two articles the gist seems to be that:
a) Teams spent around $1B less in FA spending this year than last year, and the Dodgers themselves account for an outsized portion of the money spent, most of it going to two guys.
b) The "middle class" of FA's have for years been frustrated that between the age of prospects and superstars they get squeezed out and feel like this is in part because the union is more focused on helping agents chase the next biggest contract ever.
c) Players want an audit of the MLBPA's finances and also want more resources to go to its bargaining and negotiating teams.
d) Part of this is probably also that Meyer and Marino have butted heads a lot behind closed doors - particularly when it came to how to unionize the minors - so Marino's likely perceived among players as somebody who'd definitely change course from what Meyer's been doing above all else.

It's entirely possible there's some legit gripes with Meyer but also apparently this whole thing got kicked off after Clark was made aware of a player mass-text chain gaining steam for ousting Meyer so it could also just be a dumb game of telephone that's setting this guy up as the scapegoat for ownership collusion.

Thanks for the summary :tipshat:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hopefully he gets to play more than 30 games without shattering his ankle again

I think you mean 30 ABs

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Paul Zuvella posted:

Really?

e: to clarify, I think if you fall asleep driving and hurt people, you should definitely still pay the costs of that crime, however, c’mon man

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

The "middle class" grievances make sense but their perception that the union is still too focused on the top guys doesn't really jive with what they actually got in the last CBA. Fixing these issues will require going after service time with something like an aged-based free agency that kicks in before 6 years for guys that get a later start. In general I think fixing the labor landscape for this class of players requires much tougher fights with ownership, as evidenced by their failure to kill the QO last time around.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ask Tony LaRussa.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The players/union caved last time and didn't get the QO or luxury tax axed so I doubt with current management in charge they would get that done next time either

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Really?

e: to clarify, I think if you fall asleep driving and hurt people, you should definitely still pay the costs of that crime, however, c’mon man

Both are grossly negligent, both are irresponsibly operating a vehicle when you should otherwise not be, both are dangerously selfish decisions made when you are not in a mental state to make rational decisions.

Like really, what's the argument here

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Ask Tony LaRussa.

lmao

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Giants have had a great off-season imo

They have. But it doesn't matter because of the Dodgers.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Paul Zuvella posted:

Both are grossly negligent, both are irresponsibly operating a vehicle when you should otherwise not be, both are dangerously selfish decisions made when you are not in a mental state to make rational decisions.

Like really, what's the argument here

I’m not gonna argue poo poo with you bc lol but drunk driving is leaps and bounds worse than someone falling asleep at the wheel imo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

I’m not gonna argue poo poo with you bc lol but drunk driving is leaps and bounds worse than someone falling asleep at the wheel imo

goons gonna goon I guess

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

trilljester posted:

there's three wildcard spots so of course it matters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

goons gonna goon I guess

If you set the O/U at "number of people who think that drunk driving is way worse than falling asleep at the wheel" at 95%, I'd take the over.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

If you set the O/U at "number of people who think that drunk driving is way worse than falling asleep at the wheel" at 95%, I'd take the over.

I mean sure, i'm not going to argue that more people don't think its a more pressing issue to society but that's not the question I asked.

I asked why being so tired that you fall asleep while driving and you killed people is better than being so drunk that you couldn't operate a vehicle and you killed people.

e: this isn't some hypothetical "is driving drunk better than driving tired???" this is a man who murdered people, it happened, its a thing.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 19, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

there's three wildcard spots so of course it matters

Also its possible that EYB is back

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

EYBS works strongest from the lowest possible seed, so if the Giants end up with that final WC spot on the last day of the season, watch out

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

trilljester posted:

Saying it doesn't matter that a 79 win team drastically improved their roster just months after an 84 win team made it to the WS is a pretty wild take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Traxis posted:

Saying it doesn't matter that a 79 win team drastically improved their roster just months after an 84 win team made it to the WS is a pretty wild take.

And the Dodgers losing in the NLDS the past two years to division rivals.