Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DoubleNegative posted:

Someone on Reddit was talking about Tynan patching out the exploit that allowed for the Singularity Killbox. Upon investigation, it appears to be the "camping on an open door prevents enemy pawns from seeing you until they're right next to you" exploit.

Naturally the post is decrying how "almost all killboxes are gonna break now." :lmao:

there is more to it than this, e.g. the melee door/wall corner exploit killbox that I came up with, so I'll have to check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VFE Pirates is both the best and the worst mod in the VFE lineup.

Warcaskets are a neat idea, I really like the concept, they're just not adequately balanced at all. They're massively under-valued in terms of wealth and raid points so you are either blowing through a million guys with ease because you have warcaskets and the enemy doesn't or you're getting curb-stomped because the enemy brought 50 warcaskets. There are also way too many variants. It's a cool idea for the Space Pirates that are in rimworld.

Privateer Armor: super cool idea, basically it's an attempt at blending locust armor with marine armor. But its stats are identical to marine armor, so there's no longer any reason to use marine armor. The grappling hook is well-balanced because its mobility options are limited to squares adjacent to walls, so it's not quite as mobile as locust armor. Super thematic for powered space pirate armor

The mercenary hiring system is another neat idea, a great concept, but it's pretty imbalanced. You're getting way more firepower than the cost in silver. It's supposed to be balanced a bit by the cost increasing when you get mercenaries killed, it just doesn't work well imo. This is also thematic for Space Pirates

The new scenario is really cool and I like it a bit better than Crash Landed; it actually feels like a crash landing, you have to dismantle nearby containers to get some of your starting supplies. You also get a turret (which has limited ammo) and a reactor (which you can't relocate). Overall A+ starting scenario variant

Gauntlet Raids feel appropriate to space pirates. They're kind of a pain to fight, though. Mechanoids may land in your base sometimes but at least they aren't landing with freaking turrets. Thematic but feels unfair and bad

The Shanties ritual is straight up cool and a great addition, giving you a way to replace Lost Someone thoughts.

Cannons and Field Guns are fine, they're just completely out of place in this mod.

And rum produced from a human sweat-suit is another neat idea, I just wish there was some alternative way to produce rum too. This one is actually fairly balanced - as a trade good it's reasonably priced, its benefits as a recreational beverage are well-balanced, and it's on-theme for Rimworld.

Basically it has a lot of really cool ideas, but almost none of them are balanced, some of them are extremely bloated, and they're all stuffed into the same mod alongside

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

One thought I've had for a mercenary system would be a diplomacy option at the comms console that lets you request military aid from any permanent-hostile human faction. The deployed pawns are friendly to you until they leave the map. Then you get saddled with a quest, to pay back the favor within some time period. Maybe you get 30 days to destroy a settlement belonging to some other faction, or 30 days to deliver a shitload of wood/silver/steel/whatever to a specific location. If you fail to complete the quest then they retaliate against you - maybe they raid you, maybe they deploy an EMI against you, maybe they provoke an archotech intelligence into dropping a mechanoid base onto your map

Maybe permanent-hostile human factions could occasionally contact you, giving you one of these "favor" quests as a form of demanding tribute. "Do this thing or we'll gently caress you up". Perhaps you opt into this system when you ask for their military aid the first time

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 17, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'd love to see some kind of expanded mercenary system in the vanilla game. Mechanitors were a huge boon to the combat system because they provide you with functional combatants that are not absolutely devastating to lose, meaning that it's not quite as insanely risky to fight "fair". Being able to hire (preferably controllable) mercenaries would be great on multiple levels - besides providing semi-expendable combatants, it would also provide a way to delete wealth in a way that isn't stupid and awkward feeling.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If you ally with people capabale of drop podding (so like, not tribals) you can sped 25 goodwill and call in a drop pod reinforcment group.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

If you ally with people capabale of drop podding (so like, not tribals) you can sped 25 goodwill and call in a drop pod reinforcment group.

Yeah, and I like that system, but those aren't really mercenaries; they're allies. Sometimes I'm running a colony where it doesn't make sense to have allies. I'd like to see proper mercenaries, people who definitely aren't your friends but will come help you for the right price. The permanent-hostile human factions can't become allies anyway, so letting them be mercenaries makes sense to me and makes those factions more interesting

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo y'all, 1.5 books are SO COOL

Why does this particular book give animal handling experience? :magemage:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wilfred is famously a dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPo9c_DLB94

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DoubleNegative posted:

Someone on Reddit was talking about Tynan patching out the exploit that allowed for the Singularity Killbox. Upon investigation, it appears to be the "camping on an open door prevents enemy pawns from seeing you until they're right next to you" exploit.

Naturally the post is decrying how "almost all killboxes are gonna break now." :lmao:

I showed my whole rear end on stream today complaining about the killbox being killed without actually reading the post and then a chatter read it and explained how dumb I was

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah this system exists and I use the poo poo out of it but it's very patchwork/basic. The support they send is fairly fixed in quantity/quality, is completely uncontrollable, and is present for a very short period of time. Having a bunch of friends is really good for supplementary defense but a full fledged mercenary system would let you do things like have troops that can actually take advantage of your base's defensive setup or be relied on to guard your base while you send people on caravans or whatever.

VFE Pirates's merc system is a good start but was obviously overpowered and needed some real tweaking.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VFE Pirate's mercs kick rear end except they also in gameplay terms kick too much rear end.

Warcaskets kind of rule though sorry, idc about balance when I can have some complete psychotic charging around with a sword so big Cloud Strife would call it compensating, immune to anything shy of anti-tank munitions. We clawed our way up from wild men to this, so now the rubber band is on the other claw!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

It hurts me to try to play without Replace Stuff :negative:

Updated to 1.5!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

VFE Pirate's mercs kick rear end except they also in gameplay terms kick too much rear end.

Warcaskets kind of rule though sorry, idc about balance when I can have some complete psychotic charging around with a sword so big Cloud Strife would call it compensating, immune to anything shy of anti-tank munitions. We clawed our way up from wild men to this, so now the rubber band is on the other claw!

The problem isn't warcaskets not being cool, the problem is that they're dramatically undervalued in raid budget for their capabilities, meaning that raids will send dozens of heavily armed power armor+++ guys at you that feel no pain and need to be shot to pieces to stop, leading to impossible defensive scenarios unless you're running maximally cheesy defensive setups.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Warcaskets are super cool until you have to fight 30 of them

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You need warcaskets simply for the warcasket funeral rites so you can make eternal dreadnaughts in any playthrough

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Warcaskets as Protoss Dragoons! Hook a barely sentient pile of meat and tubes up to a state of the art war machine to get vengeance!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trying out this mod Big and Small that adds a huge assortment of genes - I didn't touch any of these before but this one caught my eye because it does some clever things that are pretty well in line with vanilla (e.g. a gene for Night Owl, or carnivore/herbivore diet, "psychic glamour" brain prettiness, and of course the Big and Small features in the title) along with some hilariously bonkers stuff like a lot of stackable multiplicative melee damage genes, fire/heat/cold immunity, plus a vast assortment of wings and horns

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2920751126

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Trying out this mod Big and Small that adds a huge assortment of genes - I didn't touch any of these before but this one caught my eye because it does some clever things that are pretty well in line with vanilla (e.g. a gene for Night Owl, or carnivore/herbivore diet, "psychic glamour" brain prettiness, and of course the Big and Small features in the title) along with some hilariously bonkers stuff like a lot of stackable multiplicative melee damage genes, fire/heat/cold immunity, plus a vast assortment of wings and horns

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2920751126

Big and Small adds fun things with the serums that change animal size as well, letting you create stuff like giant attack chickens or tiny miniature elephant pets for all your colonists.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3184281714&searchtext=

RV mod that is moveable and has interior space

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Big and Small adds fun things with the serums that change animal size as well, letting you create stuff like giant attack chickens or tiny miniature elephant pets for all your colonists.

Does this pass on to the kids of said animals, and does it effect the meat/leather amount?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wow this is really cool

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

This is really neat, but I hadn't realized upon installing that it's treated as a separate map with no automatic pathing between the two. I'd been hoping to use it as a portable prefab shelter for long range mineral scanner expeditions, and it still looks useful for that, but I'm not enthralled with having to micromanage that colonist's schedule to make sure they're inside the RV during sleep time so they don't get a negative moodlet from sleeping on the ground when there's a nice warm comfy bed inside the RV.

I'm guessing this is an engine limitation that would be very difficult to work around, but fingers crossed that this'll be feasible at some point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've never thought about this but Is it possible to have time-based zoning? If you have a mod that takes care of that then maybe you could auto-zone the pawns toward whatever square lets them enter the RV, then shove them in with minimal effort

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've got Rimworld and the Biotech expansion but didn't find Ideology or Royalty intriguing enough to pick them up yet.

When Anomaly comes out I was kind of thinking of snagging them all and getting a robust new experience. Would anyone say they're not worth it?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The only knock on Ideology is that it should have been a base game feature. It's rapidly game changing and gives a ton of options for different play throughs. I'd only dodge it if I only built the same base every single time.

Royalty isn't that great to me and seems easily skippable. It's kind of fun to build a fancy pad for a pawn and use them as a super psycast soldier but that's just one play through style. It got old after the first time and now I rarely do any Empire stuff.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
As someone who had all the other DLCs before Royalty, and then picked up Royalty later, the biggest difference that Royalty made was the quests. It adds a fair number of new quest types and also seems to give you a lot more quests then without. This effect is probably smaller if you play with mods, but as someone who plays almost completely without them, it went a long way towards getting rid of those stretches of time where I was just waiting for merchants/raiders to arrive or research to finish.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The quest system is a big gameplay driver for me, and Royalty nearly doubles the rate of quests and adds a lot more quest variety.

Psycasting is also a core part of my gameplay. Usually I'm not even dipping into empire stuff that much, I'm either going full tribal for those sweet anime powers or I'm killing imperials to loot more magic brain juice. The latter method is kind of gimmicky, I wish there was a better way to get neuroformers but basically the bestower carries 2 neuroformers on him; kill him and you can use them on whatever pawns you want, then send a bunch of drop pods full of corn at the nearest empire base until they're neutral and you can repeat the whole process.

Plus the new armor and weapons are all like, super cool. I love Locust Armor and Persona Zeushammers especially. And Drill Arms and Field Hands are great, too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Drill arms are my favorite limb replacement.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah I was kinda iffy about getting Royalty, it ended up being the last DLC I bought but I did not regret buying it. I noticed it added a bunch of complementary features to the game like what has already been mentioned like quests and gear - but additionally it is the only DLC apart from Anomaly that adds new music, and it adds raid variety like mechanoid clusters of all things. I've played enough of the game that I want to support the dev anyway.

Also it opens up the two most compelling VFE mods that for once are actually concise in scope - empire and deserters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've always really preferred the Tribal start and Royalty makes that a lot more interesting and practical by giving you the whole Anima tree/psycast system.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The map weather hazard quests in Royalty are kinda nice as a soft reminder to get your rear end in gear for the real thing. If you're ready for toxic fallout then that's free stuff, and if you're not ready you better start thinking about it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lysidas posted:

This is really neat, but I hadn't realized upon installing that it's treated as a separate map with no automatic pathing between the two. I'd been hoping to use it as a portable prefab shelter for long range mineral scanner expeditions, and it still looks useful for that, but I'm not enthralled with having to micromanage that colonist's schedule to make sure they're inside the RV during sleep time so they don't get a negative moodlet from sleeping on the ground when there's a nice warm comfy bed inside the RV.

I'm guessing this is an engine limitation that would be very difficult to work around, but fingers crossed that this'll be feasible at some point.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1523058989

Here's a mod that makes a repackable prefab housing, along with a portable chemfuel-powered campfire-analogue. Mod maintainer just announced they're going to update it for 1.5 as well

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I play Vanilla, love/prefer tribal starts and the idea of new music is huge to me, so that definitely helps me out a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I've always really preferred the Tribal start and Royalty makes that a lot more interesting and practical by giving you the whole Anima tree/psycast system.

It's extremely funny that Royalty elevates tribal starts from a handicap challenge mode to being mechanically stronger than crashlanded because the anima tree is so goddamned strong.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well it EVENTUALLY becomes strong, it's not great when you have multiple mech clusters making GBS threads up your map and you have nothing but steel knives and/or clubs

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Kanos posted:

It's extremely funny that Royalty elevates tribal starts from a handicap challenge mode to being mechanically stronger than crashlanded because the anima tree is so goddamned strong.

Not just the anime tree, tribals get a 175% bonus to caravan foraging, you can have entirely self-sufficient caravans very early!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

IMHO tribals SHOULD be stronger working with what they currently have than a bunch of city slickers who crashed on a backwater world. It makes perfect sense

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There should for sure be more advantages to having been From The Rimworld for many generations. More warning for at least some major weather events, maybe starting with Devilstrand? The tree is great but it takes awhile to really get going, and costs a lot of work hours.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Being able to convert work hours into psycasting power is already an absolutely absurdly powerful benefit. The only things tribals really lose are research speed and starter techs, the former of which is easily compensated for by starting with more hands to work with and the latter of which is only a disadvantage for around the first year at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

slow research is a bonus to me anyway, I think vanilla research is several times too fast so I nerf it to 25 or 10% even on tribals
e: I made a small mod that adds the parka recipe to the crafting spot - in vanilla it is already tagged as Neolithic anyway (as it should be) you just can't make it until you have the tailor bench.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878204210&searchtext=parka

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 19, 2024