Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TTBF posted:

You've seen two of the three worth watching. Plus is the third one. It's like Top Gun but Macross and there's a Hatsune Miku.

And if you watch the dub stars Bryan Cranston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I remember it because I quoted it before as an apt description of the kind of show it is.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

selling good vibe opinions wholesale

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
So Kraven is the new Bond...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m watching Patlabor right now and hell yeah it owns. There’s a real good bluray set that includes eeeeverything and is in “see the grime on the cells” quality. 50 bucks is extremely fair for that

https://a.co/d/j1rJhO2

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sweet

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

the latest episode of shogun is out and it’s one of the best series i’ve ever seen. anyone who hasn’t watched the first few episodes should do so

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You figure it has to be tough for ansel elgort to have his white guy in japan moment upstaged so dramatically. And by mom: we have tom hardy at home, at that

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

haha shut the gently caress up about anime hehe

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
get a load of this guy who doesnt love kickass robots

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Patlabor and Macross own. This is a simple scientific fact.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Some people have a thing for Japanese bureaucracy shows. I can't get into them.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

No Mods No Masters posted:

You figure it has to be tough for ansel elgort to have his white guy in japan moment upstaged so dramatically. And by mom: we have tom hardy at home, at that
*googles*

haha
that's the guy that sang Gay Pirates. weird

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thank you. god bless

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's an accurate description of the franchise!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Hot take, Crichton was a lot like Stephen King in that he was a popular, pulpy writer where the adaptations of his work were frequently better than the original.

Also, he turned into such a loving prick with his crank opinions on global warming by the end of his life in his capacity as a guy who read articles in Scientific American and based a book off of them.

I would say King has few adaptations better than the original work - with Crichton most adaptations are better. Timeline is probably worse as a movie but the book is also a lot goofier than Crichton's seriousness suggests. State of Fear (the global warming denial book) was stupid even at the time but dear lord does it look insanely stupid now. He also put a guy who criticized that book in a later book as a microdicked pedophile.

khwarezm posted:

Curiously these animals are still around, kind of, Chimaera like ratfish are part of this subgroup in the Cartilaginous fish and the last remaining remnant of the Holocephali group that people tend to be talking about here when they talk about ultra ancient "sharks". The most famous of these is Helicoprion, which had a massive sawblade built into its face instead of normal teeth and was bigger than a Killer whale.

As with many prehistoric animals these guys looked less cool as we discovered more about them. Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus are some of the few I think ended up looking better/more interesting in the modern era (apart from the weirdos who cling to the absurd delusion that rex had feathers). Woulda been great seeing a JP with the modern Spinosaurus but with it changing every other week whatever they put in would age poorly. I guess with sharks megalodon got more interesting with it not being a carbon copy of great white anymore.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 19, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How has King turned into a crank?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

No Mods No Masters posted:

ansel elgort should be used to being upstaged, it happens in every scene he's ever been in

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I liked when billy Zane voiced him

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Speaking of giant robots, via model kits we now have a better look at the Mobile Suit designs from that upcoming Netflix CGI Gundam thing.

The Zaku is growing on me but that Gundam is very ugly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Giant humanoid robots don't seem like they'd be good value for the resources. Surely bombs and missiles are more destructive and easier to build and deliver than huge swords that a bigass robot has to swing to use.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Giant humanoid robots don't seem like they'd be good value for the resources. Surely bombs and missiles are more destructive and easier to build and deliver than huge swords that a bigass robot has to swing to use.

Hey now it’s fine to poo poo on dinosaurs and Chriton, but don’t besmirch Japan’s national industry.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The Macross ones also turn into planes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PostNouveau posted:

Have you considered Pacific Rim is cool.

What also looks cool is Late Night with the Devil. I want to see it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Ok so in the Universal Century timeline where the original Gundam and this new Gundam take place, there’s these things called Minovsky Reactors. Super compact, super efficient nuclear reactors. Everything in space is powered by a Minovsky Reactor. The one drawback is they produce something called Minovsky Particles, which disrupt radio waves and other forms of long range communication. The more reactors in one place, the higher the Minovsky Particle concentration, the greater the disruption. So if you have, for example, a fleet of space battleships in formation, forget it. Your smart missile is turning into a dumb missile when it gets within a few kilometers.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I'd just build big robot orbs but what do I know.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I would put Khan Singh into the missile and also his entire extended family.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Ok so in the Universal Century timeline where the original Gundam and this new Gundam take place, there’s these things called Minovsky Reactors. Super compact, super efficient nuclear reactors. Everything in space is powered by a Minovsky Reactor. The one drawback is they produce something called Minovsky Particles, which disrupt radio waves and other forms of long range communication. The more reactors in one place, the higher the Minovsky Particle concentration, the greater the disruption. So if you have, for example, a fleet of space battleships in formation, forget it. Your smart missile is turning into a dumb missile when it gets within a few kilometers.

You don't need smart missiles in space. A shell fired in space will go exactly where you aim it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
To be fair, part of the combat also takes place on Earth.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This meant that space battles in the Universal Century became basically the same as sea battles of old; you line up all your ships and fire broadsides at each other. This would have meant easy victory for the Federation against Zeon in the zone Year War since the Federation had so many more ships and so much more capacity to build ships. But Zeon invented a whole new weapon of war; the Mobile Suit. Basically a space fighter plane, MS could fly right up to enemy ships and shoot them with a bazooka, or put a heat to tomahawk right through their bridge. What made them especially effective in space combat was the fact that they were humanoid. This was called the AMBAC system, or Active Mass Balance Auto Control. By moving their limbs, Mobile Suits were able to make small, precise changes to their position and orientation in a 3D environment without expending any fuel.

Of course, eventually the Federation started producing their own mass produced Mobile Suits, and then their greater productive capacity allowed them to defeat Zeon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

You don't need smart missiles in space. A shell fired in space will go exactly where you aim it.

What if the guy you want to shoot moves tho?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sounds like the military-industrial complex run amuck yet again op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What if the guy you want to shoot moves tho?

Fire more rocks. Full spread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mozi posted:

sounds like the military-industrial complex run amuck yet again op

Yes this becomes a bigger part of the franchise as it progresses, with the MIC embodied by Anaheim Electronics.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My name is John Chirton. An astronaut

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember reading an explanation Japanese manga style comic came from the traditional woodblock paintings. I have never read an explanation why Japanese are so obsess with giant military robots.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember reading an explanation Japanese manga style comic came from the traditional woodblock paintings. I have never read an explanation why Japanese are so obsess with giant military robots.

because the toys are cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Minovsky Particles.

Now, if your question is why do you need a horse to pilot a horse gundam for your humanoid gundam to ride I would tell you you're a idiot who hasn't once thought about how hard it would be to train a person to operate the controls in the horse gundam.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Just put some rockets on a Tesla that'll serve as an anti Gundam missile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That DICK! posted:

My name is John Chirton. An astronaut

A radiation wave hit and I got SHOT through a wormhole...