Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1769769173154971652

The Jets likely cost themselves money by waiting until after this to sign Michael Carter.
They need to extend DJ Reed first, then work on the MC2 extension. I love both and both deserve pay bumps but Reed is more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

They need to extend DJ Reed first, then work on the MC2 extension. I love both and both deserve pay bumps but Reed is more important.

I think they likely will let DJ Reed walk. He's going to be 29 after this contract which is a bad age to start a new deal with a CB. MC2 is 25.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mcmagic posted:

You're also in LA with zero expectations. It's probably a good spot for him.

Don't forget all the bored cougars.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What type of comp would you even get back?

I saw San Fran being named the favorite for his trade destination but there was no real basis for it. Wonder if there’s no market or if jets are asking for too much

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wonder if there’s no market or if jets are asking for too much

Both. There's no market so the Jets are asking for too much by literally asking for anything.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/LosTalksPats/status/1769748459622695147

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

I mean we've got 3 guys you want to chuck straight into the bin, so yeah, he's better to have around then Juju, Raegor or Thornton. I agree, I'm just whelmed, he's another Kendrick Bourne.

Yeah it's like the most :ok: signing ever, and yet he is still almost certainly an upgrade which is horrifying

Nosre posted:

Trying to imagine the offer that would make me consider it [starting from the assumption that the Pats believe in Daniels and Maye both].

11 (Vikings, so one of the most interested counterparties) is a dead zone where you're likely to miss out on Alt/Fashanu/Nabers/Odunze, so it'd have to be heavy to the point where I doubt they'd do it themselves.

I know I've said this like 50 times but agreed. I don't hate trading back in a vacuum, but the spot it lands them in really sucks because it's where a big run on defensive players happens in all the mocks (for what that's worth heh). I'd need an avalanche of first and second round picks to look at <whatever QB they like>/MHJ/Nabers/Alt all sitting there and go "nah I'm good".

I guess the counterpoint would be that everyone is wrong about which players will be good or suck all the time. So just get as many picks as possible and hope a couple work. I just think this draft has a lot of guys you'd forever regret passing on in the top 10. Maybe the draft-industrial media complex has brainwormed me.

Nov 6, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I guess the counterpoint would be that everyone is wrong about which players will be good or suck all the time. So just get as many picks as possible and hope a couple work. I just think this draft has a lot of guys you'd forever regret passing on in the top 10. Maybe the draft-industrial media complex has brainwormed me.

There is something to be said for just getting as many #1 and #2 picks stockpiled as you can. It's like the Boglehead theory but for drafting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, in a world where you can get the 2 1sts + a future from the Vikings, sure. You could possibly trade up from 11 + other picks to jump a few spots to grab a WR / LT, or suddenly trading that 2nd for Tee Higgins is less egregious. Just a lot of moving pieces that still leaves you missing a QB prospect.

Personally I want to do that, since I believe in the more bites approach. Ideally you trade down then back up with the Falcons to grab Fausano or whomever the 2nd best LT is, since the Falcons can probably drop to 11th and still get the best defender on the board, heh.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Glad to see Taron locked up, he’s low key their best player on D after Milano

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, in a world where you can get the 2 1sts + a future from the Vikings, sure. You could possibly trade up from 11 + other picks to jump a few spots to grab a WR / LT, or suddenly trading that 2nd for Tee Higgins is less egregious. Just a lot of moving pieces that still leaves you missing a QB prospect.

Personally I want to do that, since I believe in the more bites approach. Ideally you trade down then back up with the Falcons to grab Fausano or whomever the 2nd best LT is, since the Falcons can probably drop to 11th and still get the best defender on the board, heh.

Yeah well they're going QB at #3 so you better pray they don't pick a bust.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah well they're going QB at #3 so you better pray they don't pick a bust.

Oh I agree, I also think busts are made as often as not, and I bet we're making a bust.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Oh I agree, I also think busts are made as often as not, and I bet we're making a bust.

Most QBs drafted are bad. That's just the reality of the position. It's almost impossible to be good at it. So yes, they're likely to draft a bust. But at some point they do have to actually take a swing at the position! And I suppose there is an argument to be made to swing early and often, because until you get one that doesn't suck it's basically impossible to win.

I guess I feel like it's going to be 2-3 years until this team could find it's QB. If they take a swing this year and bomb out, oh well. It'll probably put them in position to take another swing in year three of Mayo. If they decide not to take that swing this year and just accumulate better players, that's fine too. They'll be better equipped to support a rookie in year two or three.

Just whatever they do, make picks that are consensus top players who are great athletes, and not whatever the gently caress Bill was doing.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 18, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Just whatever they do, make picks that are consensus top players who are great athletes, and not whatever the gently caress Bill was doing.

Yeah.

....Yeah.

That said, I think QB's are made as often as drafted, so I'd rather solve LT and find a WR. If you get that godfather offer you then have 2 (probably mid) 1st's next year to play with to find your QB. Or heck, just sign Dak in free agency after the Cowboys gently caress things up :v:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
drat

https://x.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1769571081092755728?s=20

Can’t imagine you’re going to expect this guy to play let alone start. So much for that pipe dream eh

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sucks for him and the team

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Seriously. In a contract year where he proved himself. Hope he recovers enough to atleast play a few more years and get paid

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

JetsTwitter has sent a taylor, egg, and cheese to Florham Park to welcome Mike Williams.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1770063131928043761?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Big time Dalvin Cook energy around this Mike Williams stuff.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Big time Dalvin Cook energy around this Mike Williams stuff.

I think (hope) that Williams is a much more useful player than Cook, but I am also ambivalent. People are talking about him like he's a huge WR2 add. I think he has a nice skillset to mix with Wilson's, but you still need to do more at the position if you sign him.

The breakfast sandwich thing is funny, though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mike Williams if healthy would be one of the best WR2s in the league.

I mean I guess he's turning 30 and he's never actually healthy, but I still think it'd be an outstanding signing for the Jets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He's 30 years old, coming off a major lower body injury and his YPC has been down each of the last 3 years. I would temper expectations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1770070180757995648

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Willpa11/status/1770072449020784682

Just malpractice for this to happen.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

Mike Williams if healthy would be one of the best WR2s in the league.

I mean I guess he's turning 30 and he's never actually healthy, but I still think it'd be an outstanding signing for the Jets.

Even healthy he was very boom or busty.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/thejudgedan/status/1769851466355777688

ok

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think that's a fake account.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think that's a fake account.

quote:

Writer for
@TheAthletic
| No Fake News | Parody

Yep

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Incredible to take the time to make a fake post announcing a complete meh signing.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Incredible to take the time to make a fake post announcing a complete meh signing.

Yeah, that's how I got got. That would not be particularly shocking. Nor is it humorous.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lmao yeah what a random thing to just make up

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i feel like life is gonna imitate art on this one

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I guess if you just want to try and trick people doing something believable does make the most sense

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

there's smoke from real people about that specific thing today too, so yea pretty believable

https://twitter.com/ByChrisMason/status/1770083596297990219

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

He's 30 years old, coming off a major lower body injury and his YPC has been down each of the last 3 years. I would temper expectations.

Yeah I think it would be fine and it's a good fit with Wilson. I'd rather they sign MW than OBJ or whoever. But it's a high upside/low floor move so I won't be jumping for joy if/when it happens.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lmao, you really believed Austin Jackson agreed to a contract restructure?? Got your rear end.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah I think it would be fine and it's a good fit with Wilson. I'd rather they sign MW than OBJ or whoever. But it's a high upside/low floor move so I won't be jumping for joy if/when it happens.

They need to add more pieces even if they sign Williams as they would be one injury to Williams or Garrett from having the worst WR room in the NFL again.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 19, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd love to join in on hating WR rooms, but my god, the Chargers are right there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

I'd love to join in on hating WR rooms, but my god, the Chargers are right there.
and New England!

I think if the Jets signed Mike Williams, then both GW and MW get hurt... Xavier Gipson, Allen Lazard, and Jason Brownlee would still be better than the Chargers starting 3.

edit: Oh, I forgot that Joshua Palmer is ok. He is better than those 3 Jets backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

and New England!

I think if the Jets signed Mike Williams, then both GW and MW get hurt... Xavier Gipson, Allen Lazard, and Jason Brownlee would still be better than the Chargers starting 3.

Hey! Hey! we've got Kendrick Bourne, we've got Demario Douglas, we've got KJ Osborn. That's 3 guys right there who'll probably hit 500 receiving yards!