Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

MacKinnon seems to my eyes to be more clearly and consistently the best player on the ice than McDavid. That's not based on any real analysis or game impact, just "guy who looks obviously better than everybody else when he's out there" to me. I do probably watch more games involving Avs than Oilers though.

I know it's cliche and mostly coaching, but when the puck is in their defensive zone, MacKinnon is there in passing lanes and harassing whoever has possession and McDavid is hovering up near the blue line waiting for teammates to get possession and spring him for a breakaway attempt.

This year having the skating speed stats available also shows that MacKinnon does accelerate faster than McDavid, even though McDavid has a faster top speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pavelski may be the slowest forward in the NHL at this point but the man is a loving precog. It's disconcerting how often he's suddenly in exactly the right spot to make a play despite skating like he's underwater to get there.

He's like the Silver Horde in Discworld: slow and creaky but somehow always in the right place at any given time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

fermun posted:

I know it's cliche and mostly coaching, but when the puck is in their defensive zone, MacKinnon is there in passing lanes and harassing whoever has possession and McDavid is hovering up near the blue line waiting for teammates to get possession and spring him for a breakaway attempt.

This year having the skating speed stats available also shows that MacKinnon does accelerate faster than McDavid, even though McDavid has a faster top speed

Yeah, MacKinnon seems far more like a complete player. Granted I'm biased.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Mack has a stacked team soooooooo I’m probably going to hold off on calling him best player in the world right now. Maybe he should win a single scoring title first.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Habibi posted:

He's like the Silver Horde in Discworld: slow and creaky but somehow always in the right place at any given time.

If he ever asks you if you'd rather die than betray your goalie, think very carefully before you answer.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Habibi posted:

On top of his old man positioning, his hand eye is loving unreal. Some of the tips he still pulls of are absolutely absurd. Glad he's finally getting his cup this year.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pavelski is sharper on tips than any mohel.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
My first thought was Tavares doesn't get in without individual hardware, but there's a lot more guys in without them than I realized. My favorite so far is Bernie Federko playing in two all star games and being player of the week once.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

My first thought was Tavares doesn't get in without individual hardware, but there's a lot more guys in without them than I realized. My favorite so far is Bernie Federko playing in two all star games and being player of the week once.
Yeah, no hardware describes a lot of very high level players. Like Gretzky alone blocks just about every other forward from winning one of the big awards in the 80's.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For 21 years, 1981 through 2001, no one besides Gretzky, Lemieux, and Jagr won the Art Ross.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

28 of the 42 Art Rosses (two-thirds of them) in my lifetime were won by an Oiler or a Penguin.

That does not include the 3 Gretzky won in L.A.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Tavares points ranks over the years
pre:
2009-10	77th
2010-11	29th
2011-12	9th
2012-13	17th
2013-14	29th
2014-15	2nd
2015-16	17th
2016-17	28th
2017-18	18th
2018-19	16th
2019-20	40th
2020-21	27th
2021-22	44th
2022-23	31st
2023-24	100th
and his scoring contemporaries
pre:
Player		G/GP	A/GP	P/GP
Eichel		0.38	0.56	0.95
Fedorov		0.39	0.56	0.94
Tavares		0.41	0.53	0.94
Aho		0.42	0.51	0.93
Guentzel	0.43	0.5	0.93
Yashin		0.4	0.52	0.92
Marchand	0.39	0.52	0.91
Do with that what you will.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Ovechkin finally crested 20 goals and now has at least that many in each of his 19 seasons. 3rd player to do so, only player to do it with 20 in his rookie season as well. Unless his shooting reverts fully to normal, he’ll need two more seasons like this to beat Gretzky.

So of course he’ll probably just get to 30 this season and finish it up next season.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres finally beat the Kraken :toot:

Washington is doing so well rn I wonder if they’ll pass Philly.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Bruins being 1st in the NHL but also having 15 OTLs is hilarious, fraud watch begins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Bruins being 1st in the NHL but also having 15 OTLs is hilarious, fraud watch begins

If anything, I'd be inclined to say that makes me trust them more.

The penguins scraped into the playoffs relying on 3on3 OT for years and it's so far removed from a realistic scenario that it lead to them being dedicated in the first round every time

If they can suck that much at fake hockey that they're still top of the league otherwise, when it comes to real OT they should remain crushing

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd definitely be worried if I was the Bruins about facing the Toronto Maple Leafs in the playoffs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd be a lot more worried about facing the Islanders or Caps or Flyers and having them catch a hot goalie

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

The 15 OTL are definitely propping up their numbers but they still have 40 wins (tied for 5th) so it's not like they're total frauds. They're 40-29 overall which is still good. It's not really the same situation as teams like the Islanders (also 15 OTL but 29-38 overall) or the Kings (11 OTL and 34-33 overall) who are in the playoff hunt.

The main thing that's troubling to me about the number of OTL Boston has is that probably about a third of them came from games with blown leads late in the third. Their inability to finish out games in regulation recently has been a concern. If they hadn't been playing sloppy they'd probably be even further ahead than everyone else to be honest.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also Ovi rules I'm sorry for doubting you Ovi. I believe he will break the Gretzky record and also get to 900+ goals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

They’re all from blown leads too, not even crawling back to secure a point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd be a lot more worried about facing the Islanders or Caps or Flyers and having them catch a hot goalie

I do not in fact believe the Bruins should be worried about noted player performers the Toronto Maple Leafs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also speaking of the Caps, I still can't believe they got Dylan Strome for free. He's been great the past two seasons. 46-72-118 in 148 games and he's closing in on another 60+ point year. Hard to see why Chicago didn't want him. The only thing I can think of is that he's too old to fit the timetable on their rebuild, but even then, he only just turned 27 like a week ago. It's not like he's ancient.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
With all the savvy moves Treliving made at the deadline I think this is the year Torontos bottom 6 players step up in the playoffs and finally provide the long awaited Secondary Scoring when the Matthews line gets line matched

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also speaking of the Caps, I still can't believe they got Dylan Strome for free. He's been great the past two seasons. 46-72-118 in 148 games and he's closing in on another 60+ point year. Hard to see why Chicago didn't want him. The only thing I can think of is that he's too old to fit the timetable on their rebuild, but even then, he only just turned 27 like a week ago. It's not like he's ancient.

He would be the 4th or 5th youngest player in the Penguins lineup most nights

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I get Chicago wanted to tank but they could have just traded his RFA rights or whatever instead of losing him for nothing. Strome has been a great add. Consistently good even if he's never going to be that stud 1C.

Also I've liked the way Lapierre and Miroshnichenko have looked so far. Again neither is likely to be a game breaker but hopefully they can develop into solid middle 6 options while guys like Ryan Leonard and maybe even Andrew Cristall can be more of the top line talents. They still need a high end center and D prospect though.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 19, 2024

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Some amusing games on hand tonight. Can Detroit overcome the worst team in the East? 2 all metro affairs in the battle of underachievers Pitt vs NJD and playoff hopefuls NYI get another overtime loser point in a valiant effort against Carolina. The Flyers take on Toronto in a game of 'wow really that team is going to make the playoffs?' and 'Lol how does Sheldon Keefe still have a job.' Finally the Rangers also do something but it's mostly unimportant.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think if the Caps sneak in Coach Carberry gets in the running for coach of the year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It would really be best for the Caps if they tried to get Ovi a hat trick every night but also lost the game.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Just out of curiosity, has anything come out about what's up with Marty St Louis and his family? Some of the Habs have made comments about wishing his son well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I think if the Caps sneak in Coach Carberry gets in the running for coach of the year.

It's Tocchet and Bowness by a country mile

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The 15 OTL are definitely propping up their numbers but they still have 40 wins (tied for 5th) so it's not like they're total frauds. They're 40-29 overall which is still good. It's not really the same situation as teams like the Islanders (also 15 OTL but 29-38 overall) or the Kings (11 OTL and 34-33 overall) who are in the playoff hunt.
https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2024.html

H-F allows you to sort by the normal pts% (win=2, tie=1). Currently LA has a .590 pts%, good for 7th in the West; under the normal format, they have a .552 pts%, good for 6th in the West.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CDX posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anything come out about what's up with Marty St Louis and his family? Some of the Habs have made comments about wishing his son well.

Something about one of his sons it sounds like but no details.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

When the Oilers win the division it will be Mr. Knoblauch

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah maybe Carbery sneaks a few third place votes here or there if the Caps get in but Tocchet won the Adams like 3 months ago.

That said I do like the job Carbery has done. He didn't have an enviable position with some vets that he was kind of forced to play at the beginning of the year, but even so he was able to get Mantha and Protas producing and keep the team out of the cellar. Now that some of the dead weight is gone (Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Edmundson) he's been able to play more of their young guys and surprise their team metrics aren't bottom 5 in the NHL any more and they are in a playoff race. That's much more than I expected this year.

I still don't know how they return to contender status without getting some more high end talent but maybe they'll luck into someone in the draft.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah for real.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress the Jets but I am happy for Bowness even if I never want him anywhere near my team again

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress the Jets but I am happy for Bowness even if I never want him anywhere near my team again

Happy for Bowness to be sent back to Winnipeg for medical procedure?? SMH, Disrespectful

When Arniel had the reins earlier in the season he gave more leeway to skill and young players. So let's see if he leaves Stanley in to fight Rempe or pulls him out in favor of better defensemen

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Team Captain Sean Couturier is a healthy scratch tonight lol. Torts rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

WeaponX posted:

Team Captain Sean Couturier is a healthy scratch tonight lol. Torts rules.

how often does this happen with team captains? seems kind of a weird thing to do