Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I've been playing this game off and on since launch and my brain still doesn't work well enough to ever build my own deck. I won't say that I LIKE netdecking, but i feel like I could never account for even 1/4th of the interactions I would need to make a deck work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Part of the reason I wanted discord for this gang is so we can share brews tomorrow because admittedly I’m not a great builder either but tomorrow is one of the few days I feel confident doing so.

Discord link

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you can always scope out the vs "40 decks to try out" list they posted today

most of the time VS lists try to do too many things at once and end up un-optimized, but it's a good starting point and source of ideas

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/40-decks-to-try-out-on-day-1-of-whizbangs-workshop/

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I can’t stand control in mtg but it’s a lot less obnoxious in hs. Just actually getting to put stuff on board is nice.

Plus I prefer hand wins in the first place so

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
My big worry with this set is that there are several very good decks that dodge rotation almost entirely (Sludge Walock, Odyn Warrior, Plague DK, Dragon Druid, and to a lesser degree Overheal Priest and Rainbow Mage), and it would be lame if they bullied new decks out of the format. But I guess we’ll see.

I’m going to try Handbuff DK and Handlock to start, I think.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

rotation always sucks because the same three decks I've been using since last rotation get hosed and now I have to bother making a few more to play until the next rotation

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I’m probably going to craft Whizbang and wait till the meta settles down a bit before making any decisions

Spell Mage looks fun but I don’t know how consistent it’ll be

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It remains stunning to me that they removed the only card that highlander decks could use against plague DK, whereby highlander decks will be 100% dead-on-arrival so long as plague DK is anywhere close to meta.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
your highlander decks should still have a wincon with their singleton specific cards turned off, because there's always a chance you never draw them during a game

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

plague dk is more of a threat to mass-drawing decks than reno decks tbh

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Until plagues literally shut down your win con.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That’s my secret. I don’t have a win con.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Of the most recent batch of Highlander cards, I would only characterize Brann as a win condition per se. Elise, Doc Holli’dae, and Maruut are one-time power spikes, Reno and Kurtrus are defensive cards, and Rheastrasza and Spirit are long-term value generators that you only need in some matchups. None, not even Brann, are “concede if I don’t get this” cards. You should be able to win even in the situations where you don’t have access to them.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
If your two most powerful individual cards in the deck suddenly become active liabilities by turn 3, wincon or not it’s now a nigh-unwinnable matchup. And it’s not like they’re teching against you and losing strength elsewhere, it’ll happen naturally on the DK side just from their core game plan.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

orangelex44 posted:

If your two most powerful individual cards in the deck suddenly become active liabilities by turn 3, wincon or not it’s now a nigh-unwinnable matchup. And it’s not like they’re teching against you and losing strength elsewhere, it’ll happen naturally on the DK side just from their core game plan.

Good point. Going against a deck that shuts down the Highlander condition flips it. You end up a lot worse if you get the highlander cards since they're just a bad vanilla or an 8 mana gain 5 armor and change your hero power. If a DK plague or other deck shuts down your highlander cards and you don't draw them, your odds improve.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : removed, deck tier too low

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2024

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
10-1 with small beast hunter but i haven't been able to play hemet yet :argh:

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007
Well I crafted Splendiferous Whizbang and not only are the decks pretty drat bad, they are unfortunately also pretty boring. Would not recommend crafting.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm cracking packs. Can anyone explain the second part of Caricature Artist's Battlecry "Give it a funny mustache!" Does it just put a mustache on the card?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

I'm cracking packs. Can anyone explain the second part of Caricature Artist's Battlecry "Give it a funny mustache!" Does it just put a mustache on the card?

It gives you a mustache. Look in the mirror.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

yes. its like the bg Evil Twin effect - cosmetic, no changes

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have one last pack the game will not let me open for some reason

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Not sure how viable it'll be in the long run, but Shudderblock shaman is super fun. Eventually you'll just cast like 5 Sunset Volleys and murder everything.

### Rando
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Chaotic Tendril
# 2x (1) Pop-Up Book
# 2x (2) Amphibious Elixir
# 2x (2) Needlerock Totem
# 2x (3) Clearance Promoter
# 2x (3) Fairy Tale Forest
# 2x (3) Incredible Value
# 2x (4) Aftershocks
# 2x (4) Baking Soda Volcano
# 2x (4) Caricature Artist
# 2x (4) Infested Watcher
# 2x (4) Lifedrinker
# 2x (5) Eye of Chaos
# 1x (6) Golganneth, the Thunderer
# 1x (6) Shudderblock
# 1x (8) Joymancer Jepetto
# 1x (9) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
#
AAECAaoIBI31BamVBqilBsnBBg2g1ASdlQallQbrlQatnQacngafnga/oAanpQakpwaopwbVqAbgqAYAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I'm going to replace the lifedrinkers, I haven't used them at all. All my finishers are with a chaotic tendril making GBS threads out a Sunset Volley or three.

E: replaced them with far sight

Doji Sekushi fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 19, 2024

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The handbuff rainbow DK from VS is pretty disgusting, as long as you draw one of your Amateur puppeteers on curve.

A pair of buffed Sickly Grimwalker + Darkthorn Quilter, good lord.

### Rainbow Handbuff DK
# Class: Deathknight
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Body Bagger
# 2x (1) Lesser Spinel Spellstone
# 2x (2) Mining Casualties
# 2x (2) Shambling Zombietank
# 2x (3) Acolyte of Death
# 1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 2x (3) Crop Rotation
# 2x (3) Rainbow Seamstress
# 2x (3) Sickly Grimewalker
# 2x (4) Darkthorn Quilter
# 2x (4) Nerubian Swarmguard
# 2x (5) Amateur Puppeteer
# 2x (5) Corpse Bride
# 2x (6) Hollow Hound
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion
# 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
#
AAECAfHhBASH9gT8+QXt/wX/lwYNsvcEj+QFl5UGkZcGkqAGubEGurEGvLEG9rEGi7cG0+UG1uUG1+UGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 19, 2024

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why is Tony still in this stupid game
Just instantly crashed the moment it was played

peer
Jan 17, 2004

gonna kms

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

peer posted:

gonna kms

now that's some Incredible Value

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh wow, they really gutted the gameplay achievements for this expansion.

There's just one two-step achievement for each class (down from three in Badlands, Titans had four) and four neutral ones (down from 15).

But on the other hand, they upped the XP for most of them.
Still 400 less XP per class in total, but now you don't need to play some gimmick decks to check them off your list, if that's your thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Whizbang was worth the Golden upgrade. Used him to polish off some early rewards to earn new packs before opening my bundled ones.

This is the first expansion where I was actually getting duplicate Legendaries with 44 packs left out of 205 (195 Standard/10 Golden) total. I also managed to get one Signature Legendary (Pipsi Painthoof) and two Golden Legendaries from the Golden packs (Game Master Nemsy & Puzzlemaster Khadgar).

I've learned my lesson about not getting the Level 2 reward as prior pack openings have loved to give me the Golden version of the Season Pass Diamond Legendary. I avoided that this time with Whizbang.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Unpacked Sonya

### Custom Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Deafen
# 2x (1) Gear Shift
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (1) Treasure Distributor
# 2x (1) Valeera's Gift
# 2x (2) Toy Boat
# 2x (3) Bargain Bin Buccaneer
# 1x (3) Mic Drop
# 2x (3) Raiding Party
# 2x (4) Dread Corsair
# 1x (4) Sonya Waterdancer
# 2x (4) Watercannon
# 2x (5) Sandbox Scoundrel
#
AAECAYO6AgLawwWKqAYOkp8E9p8E958Ev/cFyYAG1p4G/KUGwKgG/KgGs6kGy6kG7qkGkeYGyfQGAAA=
#

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

mcbexx posted:

Oh wow, they really gutted the gameplay achievements for this expansion.

There's just one two-step achievement for each class (down from three in Badlands, Titans had four) and four neutral ones (down from 15).

But on the other hand, they upped the XP for most of them.
Still 400 less XP per class in total, but now you don't need to play some gimmick decks to check them off your list, if that's your thing.

They also don’t expire any more, so they’ll still be worth XP even if you don’t complete them during this expansion cycle.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

fanny packrat posted:

Unpacked Sonya

### Custom Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Deafen
# 2x (1) Gear Shift
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (1) Treasure Distributor
# 2x (1) Valeera's Gift
# 2x (2) Toy Boat
# 2x (3) Bargain Bin Buccaneer
# 1x (3) Mic Drop
# 2x (3) Raiding Party
# 2x (4) Dread Corsair
# 1x (4) Sonya Waterdancer
# 2x (4) Watercannon
# 2x (5) Sandbox Scoundrel
#
AAECAYO6AgLawwWKqAYOkp8E9p8E958Ev/cFyYAG1p4G/KUGwKgG/KgGs6kGy6kG7qkGkeYGyfQGAAA=
#

be aware she is getting emergency nerfed to remove the interaction where she copies HERSELF when played for 1 (like after using -3 mana mini)

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 20, 2024

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Excelzior posted:

be aware she is getting emergency nerfed to remove the interaction where she copies HERSELF when played for 1 (like after Shadowstep)

Yeah, figured I'd play with the broken toy before it's fixed.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

ended up at 11-3 with lovely elemental shaman

### elemental
# Class: Shaman
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 1x (1) Glacial Shard
# 2x (1) Shock Hopper
# 1x (1) Thrall's Gift
# 2x (2) Menacing Nimbus
# 2x (2) Rolling Stone
# 2x (2) Shale Spider
# 1x (2) Trusty Companion
# 2x (3) Eroded Sediment
# 2x (3) Minecart Cruiser
# 2x (4) Brass Elemental
# 2x (4) Sand Art Elemental
# 2x (5) Living Prairie
# 1x (6) Golganneth, the Thunderer
# 1x (6) Shudderblock
# 1x (7) Kalimos, Primal Lord
# 1x (7) Siamat
# 1x (7) Skarr, the Catastrophe
# 1x (7) Therazane
# 1x (8) Al'Akir the Windlord
#
AAECAfWfAwqAoASN9QXAjwbDjwbTngaopQbrqQb9sAaV5gbo5gYK46AElrcFwdAFsI0Gvo8G7JUG9ZsGzKIG06cG7eYGAAA=
#

the addition of fire fly and sand art elemental helped a lot with consistency, and i think there's plenty of room for improvement. shudderblock, trusty companion and thrall's gift feel like the weakest links, and one of the two spells should almost certainly be swapped for magatha - and the other for a second glacial shard. idk about siamat either but he has nostalgic value

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

welp, in the ~15 standard packs I had saved up for the launch I got both headless horseman and dr stitchensew, looks like its rainbow dk for launch

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
oh my god Priest finally has a win condition

hahahahAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i'm confused, whats the way to cheat out these 9 and 10 cost warrior minions?
oh theres an epic yayyyyyyyyyy

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

another big brain genius who opened headless horseman and dr. stitchensew here. dk is one of a few classes I haven't gotten 1k wins with yet and I enjoy making cne work, so hooray. using the non-handbuff list off VS, except I added bolf ramshield

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Rogue deck has been good so far, even without Sonya abuse. The Deafens are crucial with so many taunts around though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Here was the gameplan for day 1, went 7-for-10 (with a couple tweaks along the way).

### dragon
# Class: Priest
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 1x (1) Anduin's Gift
# 2x (1) Crimson Clergy
# 2x (1) Giftwrapped Whelp
# 2x (1) Ship's Chirurgeon
# 2x (2) Celestial Projectionist
# 2x (2) Creation Protocol
# 2x (2) Power Chord: Synchronize
# 2x (2) Scale Replica
# 2x (2) Thrive in the Shadows
# 2x (2) Twilight Torrent
# 2x (3) Card Grader
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (4) Ignis, the Eternal Flame
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza

# 1x (5) Timewinder Zarimi
# 2x (6) Clay Matriarch
# 2x (6) Sunspot Dragon
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
# 2x (7) Repackage
#
AAECAafDAwT9xAXP9gXpqAbxqQYNougDrYoEu8cF7fcF44AGi5UG0ZwGyKAGw6gG6qgG66gGgLgG3PMGAAED2IEG/cQFzZ4G/cQF6+YG/cQFAAA=
#

Very weird curve at first glance but after playing with it for a bit I realized I didn't want the mid-cost dragons because they kinda blow, what I wanted was an aggressive early board followed by reach (Sunspot), efficiency (Matriarch), or a hard-control emergency button (Repackage and everything inside ETC). Also Amun'Thul because that card is absolutely broken good, and a single value Anduin's Gift because Mind Control will never not be funny as hell.

edit to above: I considered Deafen in this too, I've been able to win without it but it wouldn't take much of a meta shift to throw it in over Twilight Torrent.