Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

leorio and kurapika got snubbed. The shoes from left to right are apparently Netero, Killua, Gon, "The Hunter Association", and Hisoka.

"Yes, sir, I would like one pair of Pedophile Clown shoes please."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If the Killua shoes aren’t banned in 87 countries for being an electrocution risk then what even is the point.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm buying a pair, idgaf....

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

ImpAtom posted:

"Yes, sir, I would like one pair of Pedophile Clown shoes please."

For sale
unripe shoes
never worn

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Gotta get me a pair of Gons

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
First gameplay footage of Nen Impact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNemXQuEcM

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

looks like MvC3 and sounds like they got the 2011 anime VAs (RIP Leorio) so I will be buying this fighting game and I will be terrible at it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks fairly early but good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I do hope that they expand the characters move pools a bit, because this looks more like Tatsunoko vs Capcom than MvC3. I liked TvC but it's undeniable to me that MvC3 captured the aesthetics and mechanics of it's characters better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I do hope that they expand the characters move pools a bit, because this looks more like Tatsunoko vs Capcom than MvC3. I liked TvC but it's undeniable to me that MvC3 captured the aesthetics and mechanics of it's characters better.

It looked to me like one of the people playing was bad compared to the other.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I meant more the number of moves available to each character than how well the players were handling the system with I'd assume less than a couple hours of playtime. This twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/GREATFERNMAN/status/1783505312638697794
Does confirm my suspicion that the special move pool is going to be low as the developers are opting for a Super Smash Bros scheme where you input a direction + the special button to select your move. Meaning most characters are only going to have 4 moves with maybe a 5th if it is context sensitive like Air-Only and more if they have a stance/mode switch ability.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
But the people there were not showing all the moves is what I mean.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I didn't think the characters had all their moves programmed into that build of the game from the beginning. It was just a question of how many moves they would ultimately have and the answer seems to be ~4 specials although characters like Gon and Netero do get different followups to their Jajanken/Prayer stances.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Those are all pro-players, Go1 and Fenritti specifically won a lot of DBz Fighterz tournaments.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1785548977439752662

How many months have been since the last release? I have lost the count, and hope :(

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1785548977439752662

How many months have been since the last release? I have lost the count, and hope :(

https://hiatus-hiatus.github.io/
One year and four months.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Goddamn I swear to god it felt longer to me. Like, I thought it had passed 2.5 years at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Togashi will probably be dead before this series ever concludes but at the very least the anime ended on a decent stopping point

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What does Togashi mean by 'Moon Healing Escalation!'?

oh google says it's a Sailor Moon thing.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 1, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, he is still going, weekends included
https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1792102974116044826

With luck we will have some chapters to read this Summer.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, he is still going, weekends included
https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1792102974116044826

With luck we will have some chapters to read this Summer.

That's whats up. Scribble away my crippled friend.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Been watchin' YouTube reactors watchin' anime (mainly AoT) and I came across these two girls who are doing a HxH reacting thing and it's been nice reliving HxH (2011) again through other people's eyes.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I've read the manga but never watched either of the anime before, so I've been watching along with the podcast Media Club Plus which I like a lot. Hearing the one host who's never seen it before speculate on where things are going is always fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Davedave24 posted:

I've read the manga but never watched either of the anime before, so I've been watching along with the podcast Media Club Plus which I like a lot. Hearing the one host who's never seen it before speculate on where things are going is always fun.

Watch the 2011 anime, it’s good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

Watch the 2011 anime, it’s good

That's what he is doing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

That's what he is doing.

So he is, point still stands

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Davedave24 posted:

I've been doing the same, but reversed. Following along with the manga, which I haven't read.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i've never read the manga or watched any of the animes i just know what happens due to strangely detailed cultural osmosis

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Togashi tweeting again made me want to watch some clips on YouTube, and the way they were horribly edited together drove me to just rewatch some entire episodes, which snowballed into rewatching the whole thing, catching up with the manga, and catching up with this thread. Oops! A couple things stood out to me this time, and I apologize in advance for how many words those “couple things” turned into. First,

Larryb posted:

Togashi will probably be dead before this series ever concludes

Barring some kind of unfortunate accident, I feel like this is unlikely. Chronic pain isn’t a terminal illness, and Takeuchi’s Sailor Moon fortune combined with his own HxH/YYH money has given him the privilege to keep pursuing his art despite his disability. It’s also worth considering that maybe Togashi and Takeuchi have been focused on their kids, too; their youngest was born in 2009, and I’d like to think Ging isn’t autobiographical. We’ve still probably got many years of Togashi-penned volumes ahead, and there’s still plenty of time for the Togashi/Takeuchi media empire to organize a Dragon-Ball-Super-style anime finale when he’s ready to retire.

That said, who knows! The second thing that stood out to me is that the Succession Arc rules, but we’ve barely started to really get a sense for what the Actual Point Of This Thing Is. It’s so confidently delivered that it makes me feel confident in Togashi’s ability to finish it (why would he write a story like this if he thought he was on death’s door or whatever), but it’s also his most absurdly grand setup yet. And it’s still not quite set up!

It’s still tempting to try and think it through. With the benefit of hindsight, for example, it’s easy to see how characters in the first acts of the Yorknew and CA arcs signposted the major themes/conflicts the characters would be forced to confront in the third acts. And Togashi loves to construct these elaborate shonen plot machines (Heaven’s Arena, Greed Island, the palace invasion) that end up getting subverted or rejected in favor of a story that’s centered on a more profound idea about storytelling/humanity.

Given that, it’s weird how most discussion I’ve seen about the arc assumes that the succession will go as planned and remain the central conflict—it’s such a deliciously plotty conceit, like a nen-based Steel Ball Run or Fate/Stay Night, but considering how Togashi likes to build a story, it seems very likely that it’ll get subsumed by a more nuanced character-based conflict. The seemingly out-of-place and sympathetic Phantom Troupe origin story feels very significant in this framing, especially with the subtle hints that there’s some tragic irony to the massacre of the Kurta. And while Kurapika has made many sacrifices in his quest for revenge and justice, what will he make of seeing how a similar quest has shaped Hisoka’s life? I expect the plot is going to sharply collapse at some point so that we get a very thorough exploration of this complex cycle of revenge, and I won’t be surprised if the end sees Kurapika and the remainder of the Spiders as allies in some fashion after witnessing Chrollo’s death to Hisoka, who will escape to be an even greater monster in the DC.

Not that the succession isn’t important, of course, but that sharp collapse is probably only 10-20 chapters away. Kurapika is poised to make contact with the only remaining prince who doesn’t have an obvious “this ability will be secret until its plot-critical reveal” nen beast (i.e., baby prince, drug prince, monster prince). At the same time, he’ll be very close to wrapping up the training/Silent Majority plot thread, leaving him in a position where, on the one side, his Hunter friends are mostly stuck with hard-to-protect but sympathetic princes, and on the other, the most dangerous princes are finishing up their preparations. Given that the Spiders are about to solve the fourth prince’s Morena problem or reveal themselves to be much more competent than her team could ever be, they’ll be just in time to run into Kurapika and the extremely enticing loot that is Kakin’s nen pot. All with Hisoka lurking and waiting to strike, unless he’s been set up to be unlikely allies with Leorio or one of the princes (or manipulated by the king’s still unknown Chekhov’s nen beast, maybe!). As with other Togashi arcs, I expect that the moment the story reaches maximum setup complexity, we’ll get some incredible twists that transform the entire conflict for the back half of the arc.

The biggest outstanding mystery for me is how the Zodiacs and Beyond/Ging/Pariston factor in to all of this. It’s possible it’s just Togashi’s way of showing off, introducing one arc that gets interrupted for another as a cute literary bait-and-switch, but the clockwork precision of the succession arc and the surprisingly deft pacing (when you read it all at once and not separated by years of hiatus) make me think otherwise. At the very least, Beyond could only be so confident about escaping if he knows the succession war will provide him with an opportunity, whether because he’s predicted the outcome or rigged it in his favor—a very interesting reflection of Ging and Pariston’s strategies in the election arc. In the meantime, a handful of Zoldycks are the only living nen masters who aren’t on board the boat (or otherwise nearby and poised to act), which is a very different vibe from Greed Island, East Gorteau, the NGL, etc. Will they all just sit this one out, and when will Beyond force their hand? Alternately, how hard would Kurapika have to gently caress up before they bail him out to protect their own interests?

Sorry again for the wall of text, but this time through HxH, I really came away with a huge amount of respect for Togashi’s skills as a storyteller and the current arc’s potential. The Chimera Ant arc was as much of a masterpiece as ever, but it wasn’t until this reading that I really understood how well the Election arc craftily wove together a) the final beats of Gon and Killua’s coming-of-age/first-friends story, b) the introduction of many new major players for the next arc, and c) a satisfying ending for the anime. And instead of stopping there or shifting gears to a more straightforward adventure, he’s worked through years of debilitating pain to develop something even more ambitious and extravagantly plotted?

Togashi’s so cool. I have faith he’ll see the story through, and I hope he gets to draw as much of it as possible. But he better bring Leorio back soon!!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

rko posted:

Sorry again for the wall of text

We are HxH fans here, no need to apologize for big walls of text! :P :P

Good post, btw.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Wall of text? Someone please post the meme of the soldier over analyzing the situation.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

rko posted:

Barring some kind of unfortunate accident, I feel like this is unlikely. Chronic pain isn’t a terminal illness,

I think people are less so convinced he's going to die in the immediate future, and more just resigned to the possibility that he's going to be doing it until he dies of old age and still won't have finished because of how infrequent the release of new material has gotten.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I think people are less so convinced he's going to die in the immediate future, and more just resigned to the possibility that he's going to be doing it until he dies of old age and still won't have finished because of how infrequent the release of new material has gotten.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I meant by that

Now theoretically he could have stopped at the point where the 2011 anime ended but I personally like that there’s more to this world than just Gon and his inner circle

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 24, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunter x Hunter FighterH looks fine, not as stunning as FighterZ but the gameplay looks fun. Gon seems very weak as a character here though, no range and slow attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoOVkML66Q

rko
Jul 12, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Wall of text? Someone please post the meme of the soldier over analyzing the situation.

As much as I love Togashi, I do wish we lived in the timeline where he transitioned to visual novels. While I adore the adaptation of the Chimera Ant Arc, with its overwrought narration that gives it an almost documentary feel, it’s hard to deny that there are long stretches where it looks and feels like the world’s most lavishly produced VN.

The Succession War is going to be such a challenge to animate, if and when they do. Even the battleground is just a set of the same rooms and hallways.

TriffTshngo posted:

I mean, Togashi’s only real peers, even today, are Arakawa and Oda; we’re incredibly lucky if he spends the rest of his limited mobility and retirement years on making more art.

Mostly, I think Shueisha isn’t resigned to this possibility, and as far as we’ve seen, Togashi’s been happy to sign off on collaborations, fighting games, widespread free streaming, etc. Meanwhile, he’ll be a grandpa soon if not already, HxH is the only real ongoing relevant project the Takeuchi/Togashi household has going, and he’s a couple of years away from 60. However cozy his contract is with Jump, and no matter how much pride he has as an artist, I imagine that HxH will get pushed across the finish line, and I bet Togashi will want to be around to supervise it.

Just feels like the sort of thing that will eventually and inevitably happen, but who knows. Togashi’s clearly feeling good enough lately to do some casual posting in between reporting new inked pages, so hopefully things are going well!

https://x.com/un4v5s8bgsvk9xp/status/1793924065021063600

What an artist.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Do you think Hunter will be able to beat his dad even if his dad is the strongest being on earth,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Do you think Hunter will be able to beat his dad even if his dad is the strongest being on earth,

Wrong thread, for election stuff you're looking for D&D or CSPAM