Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hemsworth’s accent is so good

Also it’s probably fine that there’s some CGI given that the last movie had infamous set conditions

Nybble fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

This movie screams cash grab. It has none of the charisma of Fury Road. The CGI is overwhelming in these trailers.

I agree that some of the shots in this still look really dodgy, considering its pedigree. Still, Mad Max. It's gonna rule.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Furiosa looks like a lot of fun. George Miller films are always a little weird at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I don't know if Miller has ever done a cash grab.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I’m not seeing cash grab at all. It looks like more Fury Road, which, straight into my veins please

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Benson Cunningham posted:

This movie screams cash grab. It has none of the charisma of Fury Road. The CGI is overwhelming in these trailers.

I disagree on the charisma, it looks exciting as poo poo with all the ham I could want.

I agree on the CGI... I know the first had a ton of supplemental CG as well so I don't buy in on the "it was all practical!" trope but this definitely seems like either a lot more, or a lot poorer done.

What I am hoping is that the speed ramps that are overly used in the trailer kind of worsen the look and the actual movie will be a lot better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This looks fun

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Boring

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jewmanji posted:

I agree that some of the shots in this still look really dodgy, considering its pedigree. Still, Mad Max. It's gonna rule.

It just looks so CGI'ey compared to Fury Road. I mean they will get my money but my hopes aren't super high.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

checkplease posted:

I don't know if Miller has ever done a cash grab.
Happy Feet 2 is the closest you're gonna get to a cash grab and that poo poo was the Mad Max Fury Road of Happy Feet movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Furiosa definitely looks far more cartoony than Fury Road, which despite being incredibly over the top also managed to achieve a real groundedness. Furiosa looks like it goes a lot more gonzo. I really don't mind, it looks like a blast.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It looks like a live action graphic novel or something, Miller has such a specific aesthetic in mind for Mad Max that I don’t think he was able to achieve with the earlier movies, as cool as they looked at the time. It’s definitely an over the top vision that I honestly don’t think is all that removed from what he established in Fury Road. Maybe some larger cgi based set pieces like the big falling tower but most of what was in that trailer has something practical as its foundation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, I was excited for The Acolyte (I mean, I still am, but less so), but this? God drat, this is legit.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The Acolyte looks really uninspired. The visual look is so…Disney Plus. I just can’t get excited about Star Wars stuff after Andor, that show ruined everything else for me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Something I've been thinking about. It's crazy how "Only in Theaters" is now attached to every movie trailer. It didn't begin as a reaction to streaming services, it started in May/June 2021 as a reaction to the "return to normalcy" to remind people that movie theaters exist. And now it's going to be one of this generation's defining trait of movie trailers, like melodramatic song covers and showing clips that spoil the entire plot.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Now this is more like it.

The first Furisoa trailer was a bit of a snooze, this one goes places.

Even the cgi looked like it was more polished.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

From curiosity to attention. That's a good trailer.

What is up with the YT comments? I'm seeing tons of almost normal comments that have the same code of letters and numbers in it. Probably bot poo poo?

edit: looks like bots are copying existing comments and putting in that weird code.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
George Miller has never made a bad movie. Mid at worst

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

George Miller has never made a bad movie. Mid at worst

i'd argue Beyond Thunderdome crosses over into outright bad but in fairness he also left the project halfway through

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'd argue Beyond Thunderdome crosses over into outright bad but in fairness he also left the project halfway through

Beyond Thunderdome always struck me as being in the same zone as Temple of Doom, desperately trying to work out what, exactly, it is meant to be. It's just so tonally discordant and at times.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Beyond Thunderdome always struck me as being in the same zone as Temple of Doom, desperately trying to work out what, exactly, it is meant to be. It's just so tonally discordant and at times.

i do think right up until Max leaves Bartertown it pretty much kicks rear end but once the kids show up it becomes completely intolerable. apparently one of George Miller's good friends died halfway through filming and he just handed the reigns over to his assistant director, so, y'know, hard to hold it against him.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

davidspackage posted:

From curiosity to attention. That's a good trailer.

What is up with the YT comments? I'm seeing tons of almost normal comments that have the same code of letters and numbers in it. Probably bot poo poo?

edit: looks like bots are copying existing comments and putting in that weird code.

I noticed that too. The internet is trash

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8NuJL5P_8

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not a fan of this new fandangled layer style that makes people look wrapped in cellophane

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought that thumbnail said "Vincent Diesel" at first and thought "Woah, when did he start going by Vincent?"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm excited because I want more of this world. Both trailers have felt a bit off to me though.

maybe the problem is I'm comparing it to one of the greatest action movies ever made that I loved so much that I saw it 3 times in the theater

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

George Miller is too old to be running around in the desert so I don’t mind the cgi

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
The Acolyte looks uninspired. I don’t see anything different or special from the last few things Disney has put out.

The new Furiosa trailer though. I didn’t really like the first trailer at all, but this one was awesome. It has shot up my to-see list.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I just don't get why bad CGI gets people's hackles up more than bad special effects of any other type. I grew up with plenty of bad animatronics, bad compositing, bad stop-motion... you name it. The only thing I feel valid criticizing it for is what I imagine is sub-par pay for the army of techs that get thrown at shots.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Animatronics, stop-motion, optical printers, and matte paintings are all inherently cool. Even when they're bad they're still rad. Pixels are not cool.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Wizchine posted:

I just don't get why bad CGI gets people's hackles up more than bad special effects of any other type. I grew up with plenty of bad animatronics, bad compositing, bad stop-motion... you name it. The only thing I feel valid criticizing it for is what I imagine is sub-par pay for the army of techs that get thrown at shots.

I think it’s because there’s no good excuse for it other than market pressures and outsourcing. With a billion dollars you can make Avatar, and with ten dollars you can make Godzilla Minus One, so the constraint here doesn’t feel like a legitimate artistic obstacle. The Star Wars trailer is the same. How does a company like Disney make something that looks that off-brand?

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

feedmyleg posted:

Animatronics, stop-motion, optical printers, and matte paintings are all inherently cool. Even when they're bad they're still rad. Pixels are not cool.

Truth. It’s hand-crafted personality versus soullessness. It’s going for a walk in nature versus looking at a photo of some scenery. Looking at pixels depresses me.

Movie looks like it might be pretty good though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

and i know a lot of animators put work into their art but the problem isn't that it's just bad directors lazily using CGI has basically soured the medium.

Even a lazy practical feels mostly creative and charming because it can be made with literal garbage and that's fun and inspiring and or adorable.

this isn't any of those things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyU9fCRH4dw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

godzilla minus one feels fresh and cool because it was done with less money than most big budget crap and it not only looks good, but you can feel the love and care put into it.

It's a very spicy discussion

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wizchine posted:

Not that I complain about CG much but for me it's because CG has the most potential and I've seen what it can do. It's the one that consistently fools me. I just don't expect as much from most other techniques and effects.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
CG isn't the problem. There's a ton of great CG out there. The problem is rushed/cheap/exploitative industry practices. There's just a massive amount of turnover in the digital effects world, with so much lost talent and lost knowledge due to the toxic nature of how the businesses operate, and it's only gotten worse due to Marvel's bad behavior. Passionate kids fresh out of college are being shoved into the CG mines without having built up the experience necessary to make something great, and they have fewer industry veterans than ever to guide them. It's a huge bummer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alien: Romulus trailer is dropping tomorrow

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

feedmyleg posted:

CG isn't the problem. The CGI industry being non-unionized is.

There we go.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Every now and then my brain reconnects to the fact that a fourth Matrix movie was made. What a weird time that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Alien: Romulus trailer is dropping tomorrow

Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust (outta dis chest)