Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The day Bill Waterson dies I am going to need a shoulder to cry on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I found our regular Suica cards from our last trip and according to google translate of all the t&c’s on the back they should be good since it was less than 10 years ago, but it does say something about having to see a member of staff if they haven’t been used for a while.

Is that something I’m probably gonna be able to just do at the station at KIX or is there something missing in the machine translation that’s more specific?

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 14, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Awwww yuss hope we get more Pollyanna dad stories

They’ll have to be second-hand from my brother, since he’ll be with him for most of the two weeks.

Current plan is late October to early November. First week is free and currently unscheduled, then the second week we go to Osaka and split up. My dad and brother do the Kumano Kodo in Wakayama, I go off on my own. Then we meet back up in Osaka, relax for a couple days, and fly out.

So that means I gotta figure out what I’m doing for two weeks, one of which will be with my dad and brother. Trying to come up with things we haven’t done yet, which reminds me that my brother hasn’t been to Japan before and I want to show him a bunch of good food and cool trains and pretty sights and fun bars and all sortsa poo poo to do. He’ll be 30, I’ll be 34, so I don’t mean amusement parks or anything - I mean the kinda poo poo 30 year olds do (whatever that is).

Maybe we hit up Tokyo again? Give him the Dormy experience and go tachinomi-hopping?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

30 year olds go to amusement parks they are fun for all ages

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Never mind. Not worth it.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2024

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I found our regular Suica cards from our last trip and according to google translate of all the t&c’s on the back they should be good since it was less than 10 years ago, but it does say something about having to see a member of staff if they haven’t been used for a while.

Is that something I’m probably gonna be able to just do at the station at KIX or is there something missing in the machine translation that’s more specific?

I just went last August, and I was able to load my card from 2015 no problem. I just loaded it at the station.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sweet, hopefully it’s that straightforward for us too!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm at the Dotonbori area tonight and it kicks rear end

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dotonbori is crazy and I love it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's good for daytime and it actually has a lot of clubs and stuff. It's v. good. Way better than a lot of areas in Tokyo that get hyped up. Don't do the riverboat tour, it's like a quarter mile up and down

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Had the best ramen of my life there at Kinryu Ramen! :yum:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dotonbori is where I first tried kushikatsu.

Dotonbori is also where I discovered that letting me have free reign ordering kushikatsu is a terrible life decision..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The areas all immediately around Dotonbori are cool too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dotonbori Halloween is cool.
Shibuya Halloween is garbage.

Note: it's possible they have screwed up Dotonbori Halloween, but I doubt it. Shibuya seems like it used to be cool, though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Grand Fromage posted:

IYKYK

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The vibe has really changed for the better compared to say a decade ago imo

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’m really struggling to plan an 18 day trip for this November. We’ve been to Japan so many times at this point that we’ve knocked out a lot of the big tourist attractions, which is making Google and pre-canned itineraries completely useless. (Google just wants to advertise expensive all-day tours to me.)

So far we know:
  • We want to visit friends in and around Kyoto, and I want to visit Nikko since that’s always fallen by the wayside due to limited time.
  • Places we don’t want to go include: Ise, Himeji, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nara, Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go/Gokayama, Disney, Universal, Fuji-Q. These are all great but don’t need to be visited again this trip. I don’t even want to spend more than a couple of days in Tokyo, really.
  • Maybes: I’ve been to Mt Koya and Nagasaki but my partner hasn’t.
  • Osaka is a favourite but we’ve also spent a tonne of time there (I’ve been to the aquarium 3 times lol).
  • I’m not sure about Hokkaido or Okinawa yet. I think I’d rather go to Hokkaido in February for the Sapporo Snow Festival.

We’re hoping for a slower-paced trip this time, like 1 tourist attraction per day. Our friends are probably going to have time to see us evenings and weekends and that’s it, so we’re not leaning on them as tour guides at all. They’re working and have young kids now. Which means we’ll probably spend 3-4 nights in Kyoto over a weekend (ideally Nov 1st-4th to get the long weekend) and otherwise do our own thing.

So I don’t know, does anyone have tips on planning resources I should be using? Is there an events calendar anyone would recommend? I can find local ones (e.g. just for Tokyo) and look up specific things I know are happening (like sumo in Fukuoka), but our itinerary is so wide open we could easily include whatever at this point, the first problem is just knowing our options. :sigh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Matsumoto is a great town to just chillax in. I've been there in winter but I bet November would be beautiful too.

Onomichi owns. Have you been around Kyushu or Shikoku much? Kagoshima and Kumamoto are great, Fukuoka is great.

Next time I'm going to Niigata for a few days specifically to drink sake until I fall over so that's always an option. If you feel like you've really exhausted everything you can start getting weird and go to Sado or something.

Matsumoto owns though. Matsumoto, Onomichi, Yamaguchi, Okayama are all nice smaller cities to hang out in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Have you considered going someplace other than Japan? There are other places just in Asia that are worth visiting.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I actually anticipate having the opposite problem of ending up with too many things to see in Japan, I’m just… not sure how to make my own itinerary, I think I’ve always relied on friends I was visiting and guide books.

But yep, we’ve also been to Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore. I’m hoping to visit Vietnam and/or Indonesia sometime with my sister since her partner has family in both countries. So probably top of mind for us is South Korea, I guess we could consider a hop over there for a few days if we actually don’t have things to do in Japan.

Grand Fromage posted:

Matsumoto owns though. Matsumoto, Onomichi, Yamaguchi, Okayama are all nice smaller cities to hang out in.

Thanks! I’ll look into all of these, smaller city feels like the vibe we’re going for this trip. :3:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Nikko was pretty fun. I was there for two days, and saw all the major stuff, but probably could have been there longer. I liked hiking around to the waterfalls up by Yumoto onsen and another day in that part of the area would have been good. The big waterfall by Lake Chuzenji (Kegon Falls) was also really pretty despite the whole touristy elevator thing. I also liked my evening-into-morning stop in Utsunomiya for food and the old quarry you can tour. So if you do Nikko 3-4 days + 1 for Utsunomiya is probably a solid time allotment.

I haven't been to the south so I have no idea what's good around Kyoto, but if you do go to Nikko that's my data point contribution.

Also, we got our money's worth out of the Nikko Pass to take the buses around, though if you planned everything in an order to minimize bus tickets you could probably save a little vs the cost. I'm a very loose planner, though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

kaom posted:

I’m really struggling to plan an 18 day trip for this November. We’ve been to Japan so many times at this point that we’ve knocked out a lot of the big tourist attractions, which is making Google and pre-canned itineraries completely useless. (Google just wants to advertise expensive all-day tours to me.)

So far we know:
  • We want to visit friends in and around Kyoto, and I want to visit Nikko since that’s always fallen by the wayside due to limited time.
  • Places we don’t want to go include: Ise, Himeji, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nara, Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go/Gokayama, Disney, Universal, Fuji-Q. These are all great but don’t need to be visited again this trip. I don’t even want to spend more than a couple of days in Tokyo, really.
  • Maybes: I’ve been to Mt Koya and Nagasaki but my partner hasn’t.
  • Osaka is a favourite but we’ve also spent a tonne of time there (I’ve been to the aquarium 3 times lol).
  • I’m not sure about Hokkaido or Okinawa yet. I think I’d rather go to Hokkaido in February for the Sapporo Snow Festival.

We’re hoping for a slower-paced trip this time, like 1 tourist attraction per day. Our friends are probably going to have time to see us evenings and weekends and that’s it, so we’re not leaning on them as tour guides at all. They’re working and have young kids now. Which means we’ll probably spend 3-4 nights in Kyoto over a weekend (ideally Nov 1st-4th to get the long weekend) and otherwise do our own thing.

So I don’t know, does anyone have tips on planning resources I should be using? Is there an events calendar anyone would recommend? I can find local ones (e.g. just for Tokyo) and look up specific things I know are happening (like sumo in Fukuoka), but our itinerary is so wide open we could easily include whatever at this point, the first problem is just knowing our options. :sigh:

I've been to a ton of Japan so I feel like I can help answer this question. What kind of places do you want to see? Are you interested in nature? History? Art? That sort of thing. You say "we" but are you a 30 yo couple or in your retirement? Is it your family? If you can provide as much of your thoughts, even if it's incoherent ramblings, as you can, it will help.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fukuoka-Busan ferry (JR Beetle).

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're into hiking at all I can highly recommend the area around the Japanese Alps.

Both Norikura and Kamikochi are some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I went there in novermber of last year and the views were stunning.
In the same area you can find the Alpine route and the Kurobe Gorge, both very much worth seeing at least once

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
How touristy or full of people was Nikko? I'm hoping to see some gorgeous scenery but maybe not chock full of shoulder to shoulder crowds.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

How touristy or full of people was Nikko? I'm hoping to see some gorgeous scenery but maybe not chock full of shoulder to shoulder crowds.

I've only been in November, post-autumn colors peak, but the main shrine area in Nikko itself was pretty crowded, but the Lake Chuzenji area wasn't that bad. I think the peak crowdedness is in October when the autumn colors are out in full force. Outside of that time I think it's still popular, but isn't crazy. And anyway most tourist buses and such will focus on specific sites, not really reaching many places that require a hike.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Everyone ITT rocks for trying to help me out of my flailing planning attempts, thank you.

totalnewbie posted:

I've been to a ton of Japan so I feel like I can help answer this question. What kind of places do you want to see? Are you interested in nature? History? Art? That sort of thing. You say "we" but are you a 30 yo couple or in your retirement? Is it your family? If you can provide as much of your thoughts, even if it's incoherent ramblings, as you can, it will help.

I’m mid-30s, he’s turning 40. We’re overworked and I’ve had some family tragedies in the past year, so while I usually try to see and do everything possible on a destination vacation, this time we’re aiming for chill. We’re also celebrating a milestone anniversary (although we had to delay this trip to save up for it, but it counts). His Japanese is good enough for conversations, mine is pretty rudimentary but I can handle directions and shopping and eating.

His likes: nature, food, slice of life experiences (he likes to see what it’s like to live somewhere and do everyday things)

My likes: nature, history, local/seasonal events

Some of our favourite experiences from previous trips:
  • Our friends taking us to their tiny community shrine on NYE
  • Riding single-car trains in rural areas
  • Fushimi inari Taisha in heavy snow (we got soaked)
  • Hiking Yakushima, Shirakawa-go and Gokayama
  • Exploring little onsen towns in Nagano
  • Staying at a ryokan right on the ocean in a storm
  • Turns out my partner has been to ”getting weird” Sado, for the taiko drumming festival
  • Eating whatever is considered the local food (e.g. miso katsu in Nagoya)
  • Seeing artisans at work (e.g. whisky distillery, kimono painting, the Nara mochi guy)
  • Staring at rocks for an hour at Ryoan-ji
  • Attending sumo with friends who could explain it to us

Here is what I have so far for potential itinerary since I first posted:
1 night Tokyo (arrival)
3 nights Nikko
3 nights Kyoto (visiting friends)
8 nights unplanned (thinking Fukuoka fits in here, maybe we’ll decide to splash out on a night at Takefue onsen ryokan after all)
2 nights Tokyo to wrap up (might fly back up to Tokyo if we’re all the way down in Fukuoka still)

Nothing is booked yet until we settle the route. I’m hoping to see kabuki when we’re in Kyoto or Tokyo since that’s another thing I’ve had to skip on previous trips. Sumo in Fukuoka would be great. And our other big goal is an outdoor onsen (which is where looking at high end ryokan like Takefue came from, since they have private outdoor baths mixed-gender couples can reserve times for).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Have you done Fushimi Inari at night? If not, since you are in Kyoto, it's worth the basic loop hike.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Would either of you drive?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Spikes32 posted:

In late May it wasn't too bad. The shrines had a lot of people but not nearly shoulder to shoulder. Enough that you're not going to get a photo without any strangers in it, though. The hiking trails were pretty empty; you'd pass folks but rarely more than one other person/pair around at a time, except for a couple school groups.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you done Fushimi Inari at night? If not, since you are in Kyoto, it's worth the basic loop hike.

Not yet! We’ve done the spring night lighting at Kiyomizudera which was really nice. Will keep this in mind!

ntan1 posted:

Would either of you drive?

We’ve driven in Japan before, for sure we could do a car rental. :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

kaom posted:

I'll always pitch Shimane prefecture and the sights there, but I'm biased since that's where I was for a month. Lots of old world Japan. You'll also probably be able to see some Iwami Kagura, which I left too early in the season to see a show.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

Nikko Toshogu has been a tourist attraction for 400 years, deal with it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

kaom posted:

I’m mid-30s, he’s turning 40. We’re overworked and I’ve had some family tragedies in the past year, so while I usually try to see and do everything possible on a destination vacation, this time we’re aiming for chill. We’re also celebrating a milestone anniversary (although we had to delay this trip to save up for it, but it counts). His Japanese is good enough for conversations, mine is pretty rudimentary but I can handle directions and shopping and eating.

For Nikko, three days is a lot unless you are going all the way to inner oku-nikko or doing a super long hike. One definite possibility is to go there early morning, stay for two nights, and then make the 3rd day the transportation day to get wherever you are going. Other options for Nikko include driving up North into the onsen territory in that area and ending up in Aizu Wakamatsu Fukushima, but that would be more than 2-3 days. This includes Oku Kinugawa, Oku yunishigawa, Oku Shiobara, etc until you get to some onsens in Fukushima. If you want to go this route, then making your trip a Tohoku one could make sense.

For Kumamoto, I am going to anti-recommend Takafue if you dont often stay in super luxury ryokans and recommend two nights at Miyama Sanso instead. Takafue is considered amazing, but one night is sort of a shame, and two nights at a luxury inn that isnt that price category is both more relaxing and nice. You get a private bath already with Miyama Sanso and the price is probably 1/2, with access to one of the top public baths. If you go to Kurokawa and are driving, then doing a circle around Fukuoka, Beppu, Yufuin, Kurokawa Onsen, etc will naturally make sense as a possible itinerary. If in season, I also definitely recommend the oyster huts down near Itoshima, Fukuoka.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

kaom posted:

Everyone ITT rocks for trying to help me out of my flailing planning attempts, thank you.

His likes: nature, food, slice of life experiences (he likes to see what it’s like to live somewhere and do everyday things)

My likes: nature, history, local/seasonal events

Some of our favourite experiences from previous trips:
  • Our friends taking us to their tiny community shrine on NYE
  • Riding single-car trains in rural areas
  • Fushimi inari Taisha in heavy snow (we got soaked)
  • Hiking Yakushima, Shirakawa-go and Gokayama
  • Exploring little onsen towns in Nagano
  • Staying at a ryokan right on the ocean in a storm
  • Turns out my partner has been to ”getting weird” Sado, for the taiko drumming festival
  • Eating whatever is considered the local food (e.g. miso katsu in Nagoya)
  • Seeing artisans at work (e.g. whisky distillery, kimono painting, the Nara mochi guy)
  • Staring at rocks for an hour at Ryoan-ji
  • Attending sumo with friends who could explain it to us

Here is what I have so far for potential itinerary since I first posted:
1 night Tokyo (arrival)
3 nights Nikko
3 nights Kyoto (visiting friends)
8 nights unplanned (thinking Fukuoka fits in here, maybe we’ll decide to splash out on a night at Takefue onsen ryokan after all)
2 nights Tokyo to wrap up (might fly back up to Tokyo if we’re all the way down in Fukuoka still)

Nothing is booked yet until we settle the route. I’m hoping to see kabuki when we’re in Kyoto or Tokyo since that’s another thing I’ve had to skip on previous trips. Sumo in Fukuoka would be great. And our other big goal is an outdoor onsen (which is where looking at high end ryokan like Takefue came from, since they have private outdoor baths mixed-gender couples can reserve times for).

If you're thinking about heading north-ish, I'd love to recommend my old town Kuroiso https://www.japan-guide.com/chottozeitaku/200806.html

Stay a night at Chus, check out the mescal bar nearby https://www.instagram.com/bar.calavera?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D at night, or any of the dozen amazing little cafes in town.

That'll be your slice-of-life right there.

Have you considered the Kinki or Chugoku regions of Japan at all? Matsue was really neat (castle, Adachi museum, Izumo, etc.), it's near Kinosaki-onsen, you could check out Amanohashidate on your way there, Tottori sand dunes and museum (which have annual displays that are destroyed and rebuilt - i.e. seasonal)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

I'm at the Dotonbori area tonight and it kicks rear end

Alan_Shore posted:

Dotonbori is crazy and I love it

Shammypants posted:

It's good for daytime and it actually has a lot of clubs and stuff. It's v. good. Way better than a lot of areas in Tokyo that get hyped up. Don't do the riverboat tour, it's like a quarter mile up and down

bee posted:

Had the best ramen of my life there at Kinryu Ramen! :yum:

some kinda jackal posted:

Dotonbori is where I first tried kushikatsu.

Dotonbori is also where I discovered that letting me have free reign ordering kushikatsu is a terrible life decision..

Grand Fromage posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

Dotonbori Halloween is cool.
Shibuya Halloween is garbage.

Note: it's possible they have screwed up Dotonbori Halloween, but I doubt it. Shibuya seems like it used to be cool, though.

Wikipedia posted:

Universal Studios Japan (ユニバーサル・スタジオ・ジャパン) is a theme park located in Osaka, Japan.

:hmmyes: I know where we’re going this October!

Edit: OH poo poo WE CAN GO TO USJ ON HALLOWEEN does it do anything fun on Halloween?????????

Also we’re gonna be in Japan for my brother’s birthday, any suggestions for a birthday celebration?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 19, 2024

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I've spent a couple of weeks in Dotonbori in the last six months, and there's way too many fuckin people there.

Good place to be if you're tired of hearing people speak Japanese though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What else are they speaking?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know from experience you can easily get by in Osaka speaking only Korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

What else are they speaking?

Korean, Chinese, English, various European languages.........................Japanese