Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Now they pay $12 for movie screws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVo38a46zdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tom Guycot posted:

They need to blow up the ring at the end of the episode so they can 1) speedrun halo CE and get through all that content no one cares about quickly, then 2) set up "there are more of them...." as a teaser for the next season, so seasons 3 and 4 and be about the hunt for the other halos, while chief goes rogue and deals with his trauma from losing his spartans.

That would be such a departure from the first two seasons.

Or is that :thejoke:

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I want chief to step out onto the halo and it's got original Xbox graphics.

God I want this to happen.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Quick Goog suggests Halo is around $10 m an episode budget

The Expanse was around $3 m an episode.

Not a flawless comparison, but the latter has outstanding sets, costumes and CGI. Even season 4's quarry planet looked far more authentically sci-fi.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I want chief to step out onto the halo and it's got original Xbox graphics.

Wasn't this what it looked like in the S1 visions? Just bland rolling hills

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Farscape was filmed in Australia, which is cheaper. It used pretty minimal CGI compared to contemporary shows like later seasons of Star Trek or the very CGI heavy Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. Brian Henson was an executive producer on Farscape so they had the huge advantage of Jim Henson Creature Shop experience for both the muppets like Rygel and the rubber forehead alien makeup. And even then the show got cancelled because it was quite expensive to make. It's more an example of the right people in the right place at the right time to make the most out of the resources they had. And sometimes it still looked like rear end or focused on explosive piss.

This episode owns. Kill the part of you that cringes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ratjaculation posted:

Quick Goog suggests Halo is around $10 m an episode budget

The Expanse was around $3 m an episode.

Not a flawless comparison, but the latter has outstanding sets, costumes and CGI. Even season 4's quarry planet looked far more authentically sci-fi.

One was made by a group of passionate people, including the creators of the setting, and every cent was poured into production.

The other is a name sake cash in where multiple executive producers have got their hands in the till. Hell, Kiki Wolfkill was fired from 343 and is still a producer on this because it was her brainchild, so she's probably grabbing as many handfuls of cash as she can before the Halo train pulls to a stop for her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Open Source Idiom posted:

This episode owns. Kill the part of you that cringes.

The episode does own, it just visually looks kinda crap.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Caught up last night and I'm just ready for his show to end. There's so much wasted time in these episodes, taking two (hopefully just two) seasons to get to the titular destination is insane.

There's only one episode left in the season, right? I was looking back and noticed John isn't even wearing his armor for most of this season (almost 5 whole episodes without it). I'm not even a huge fan of the games or anything, but I think they have a real fun setting and this show is just wasting it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Much fighting and many glorious special effects will be in this last episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As someone who never played the games, I still think the show is great.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

GreenNight posted:

It's a flat okay, if you factor in the first season.

The suits rule though, Tier 1 costuming.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GreenNight posted:

How do you understand anything?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tom Guycot posted:

They need to blow up the ring at the end of the episode so they can 1) speedrun halo CE and get through all that content no one cares about quickly, then 2) set up "there are more of them...." as a teaser for the next season, so seasons 3 and 4 and be about the hunt for the other halos, while chief goes rogue and deals with his trauma from losing his spartans.

You joke but, let's face it Halo is going to be destroyed and it'll be exactly down to this chekovs gun spike thing along with Kai being the one to deliver it.

There's been too much hit you over the head foreshadowing of her doing this with so her gripes about escaping during the training sim.

So yeah, my money is on them planning to destroy the halo ring followed by "the flood" being released to be the new cheaper enemy to fight because they'll just be angry infected humans rather than expensive CGI aliens.

Then they'll use whatever silly psychic bullshit, mystery imaginary people poo poo to fight the grave mind.

Master Chief will be on halo for all but 10 minutes to rescue Makee or whatever her name is before everything is obliterated.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whoever produced this show was dead set on making a Mass Effect show wether they ended with the license or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

General Battuta posted:

How do you understand anything?

Doesn’t seem too confusing. I have no idea what the Halo is or any of the cave system with the high technology or half of what folks are saying in here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look, that cave is not a natural formation.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

GreenNight posted:

Doesn’t seem too confusing. I have no idea what the Halo is or any of the cave system with the high technology or half of what folks are saying in here.

Oh, poo poo, that is supposed to be a narrative mystery, isn’t it? Are you finding it compelling, mystery wise? Does having 20 years of dumbshit Halo lore in my head rob me of having a good time of the Halo show?

I thought the galaxy map scene war well executed. That felt actually spooky. I also like the detail of the new Lil’ Spartans having safety helmets that both normalize them to the visor profile while also giving maximum skull protection. So you can really give ‘em a good beating without giving them a concussion. The ONI phsych profile specifications for those training dudes must be fraught as gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I am finding it compelling but like with a lot of shows, I wish it had like 3 more episodes to breathe. It goes so fast that I barely know what happened before the next bit hits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kin posted:

You joke but, let's face it Halo is going to be destroyed and it'll be exactly down to this chekovs gun spike thing along with Kai being the one to deliver it.

There's been too much hit you over the head foreshadowing of her doing this with so her gripes about escaping during the training sim.

Murder Mummy hurt John's feelings. If she wants redemption, she'll have to pay with her life.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

GreenNight posted:

I am finding it compelling but like with a lot of shows, I wish it had like 3 more episodes to breathe. It goes so fast that I barely know what happened before the next bit hits.

I definitely feel this even having read the first few books and playing the games

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kin posted:

So yeah, my money is on them planning to destroy the halo ring followed by "the flood" being released to be the new cheaper enemy to fight because they'll just be angry infected humans rather than expensive CGI aliens.

Then they'll use whatever silly psychic bullshit, mystery imaginary people poo poo to fight the grave mind.

Master Chief will be on halo for all but 10 minutes to rescue Makee or whatever her name is before everything is obliterated.

Lol I'm not really joking, its clear for either budgetary reasons, show runner reasons, or both really, they don't actually want to really tell any of the plot of the games the show is ostensibly an adaptation of. They condensed the fall of reach into one episode, and it looks pretty clear they're going to try and condense halo ce to one episode based on the setup. The invasion of earth would be WAY too expansive (and expensive) of a thing to show, which makes it more likely and sensible the next seasons will be what most of the series has been, humans sitting around human bases trying to solve a mystery and uncover stuff, while dealing with personal issues. Like you say they've released the flood now, so the grave mind can be another mystery to uncover and find along with finding the other halo rings, with some zombie men running around. I would be shocked even if the show keeps getting renewed that we'll ever see the invasion of earth for example.

Which, you know, yeah as much as I loved the games for their very cinematic nature and memorable set pieces, and miss not having an adaptation of any of the stuff I loved from their stories, I don't actually mind if they're doing their own original story with the halo characters as long as its good. The problem is really just that the original stuff they're doing isn't that interesting most of the time (there have been some interesting bits though to be sure, and I'm really going to miss Kai as a character when she sacrifices herself), and treats every cliche as a goal post to hit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've played most of the games and I think it's a fine show that has gotten considerably better in the second season.

-I don't care that Master Chief isn't in his armour for most of the show. He isn't a deep character to begin with, the armour shouldn't define him, and I think it's a totally cromulent idea to base the show around how John sees himself vs. how Master Chief is treated as propaganda/a war icon. I wish the show was more ABOUT this instead of it just being something they allude to a lot, but while the show has problems, him not being in the armour isn't one of them IMO.
-My real problem is that most of the OC stuff isn't very good - Makee is a dogshit character, her existence makes zero sense and only serves to make the covenant less interesting antagonists. If they don't want to do covenant scenes without any humans around then they're making the wrong show.
-Similarly, Cortana hanging out with Makee isn't doing it for me. I don't think they're doing Cortana poorly, but she should be like... a character whom the main cast interact with.
-Soren looking for his son is absolute death. I like the character but he doesn't feel like he has much agency or even gives a poo poo half the time.
-Though I will say I've warmed up to Kwan Ha; I don't think she really needs to be in the show since she isn't actually doing anything important, but she isn't actively grating.
-I just think the show needs to be simpler and more focused overall. It's fine to tease the Halo, but everyone already knowing everything about it just makes for a somewhat dull dynamic. It seems like they aren't doing Pillar of Autumn, but you could easily set a whole episode there and I think the show could benefit from more actually established locations because nothing feels like a place.
-I have no idea how they're actually going to do a season on the Halo, but my instinct says they aren't.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 19, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Two episodes back, when Chief was sneaking around the ONI base and going full Captain America makes me want an out of armor stealth level in the next game. John breaks out of a Covenant brig and Assassins Creeds his way to a drop ship or some poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Two episodes back, when Chief was sneaking around the ONI base and going full Captain America makes me want an out of armor stealth level in the next game. John breaks out of a Covenant brig and Assassins Creeds his way to a drop ship or some poo poo.

He should be naked the entire time.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Hakkesshu posted:

-I have no idea how they're actually going to do a season on the Halo, but my instinct says they aren't.

Requires a season 3 and, even if they scrape such a thing, they will never afford Datak Tarr. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GreenNight posted:

He should be naked the entire time.

MGS2 Raiden except he's only wearing the helmet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Monica Bellucci posted:

Requires a season 3 and, even if they scrape such a thing, they will never afford Datak Tarr. :(

He's pretty cheap and mostly based in Canada these days. I think they could afford him fine.

He did just do that miniseries opposite Julianne Moore though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hakkesshu posted:

I've played most of the games and I think it's a fine show that has gotten considerably better in the second season.

-I don't care that Master Chief isn't in his armour for most of the show. He isn't a deep character to begin with, the armour shouldn't define him, and I think it's a totally cromulent idea to base the show around how John sees himself vs. how Master Chief is treated as propaganda/a war icon. I wish the show was more ABOUT this instead of it just being something they allude to a lot, but while the show has problems, him not being in the armour isn't one of them IMO.

Yeah, and I like that when he was in the Onyx base, the show practically spelled out in large font 'its his relationship with Cortana that makes him special, not his armor"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If the Halo crew did Metal Gear...

Spend most of the first season with Liquid and Ocelot randomly riding around in jeeps around the world forming their plan to take Shadow Moses and steal Rex (who we never see) interspersed with scenes of Dave chilling in Alaska with his dogs and getting over his PTSD from barbecuing his dad. In episode 7, Foxhound take the island, episode 8 they give their demands to Campbell, who turns to the camera and says "we need Solid Snake!"

The first 5 episodes of S2 are all about Campbell's marines trying to track Dave down in a blizzard while Naomi sneaks off for a heartfelt talk with Frank to let him know poo poo's about to get real, and Meryl and the Armstech dude get try to escape the island. We spend an episode with just Campbell and Naomi briefing Snake in a dingy cell before the penultimate episode finally has our boy get on the island. Hijinks ensue with Ocelot, Grey Fox, and Mantis before Snake gets captured in the finale and we have our big cliffhanger as Liquid and Solid finally meet in the torture chamber.

S3 never happens, series is cancelled.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sentinel Red posted:

If the Halo crew did Metal Gear...

S3 never happens, series is cancelled.

Fans then debate endlessly whether the lack of a Season 3 is intentional to leave the audience with a phantom pain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whoever produced this show was dead set on making a Mass Effect show wether they ended with the license or not.

Which is hilarious because I think Amazon owns the rights to and has been kicking around doing a Mass Effect show for a while themselves now. I think even Henry Cavill was attached to it at one point between the him leaving The Witcher to go play Superman again and the DCEU going "lol, no" and dying.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Spend most of the first season with Liquid and Ocelot randomly riding around in jeeps around the world

this sounds expensive, could instead have them walking around the same 2 rooms and 1 corridor we designed as a set?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Let's hope the chief gets to gently caress on a Halo.

edit: Just to add, haven't read the books but played through most of the games.

Eh, one of those shows where sometimes I'm thinking "wtf is going on here..." to put it mildly and yeah you can see the tropes a mile away.

It's fun, there are worse things to watch. Hope somehow it continues in some fashion.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 20, 2024

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

For the record, this is the very first shot of the entire Halo storyline from 2001 and (barring a bit of gameplay), here's how the Halo is established:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxmVZFWdw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6Kd-qfRM8

Is it a masterclass in storytelling? No, but it is effective and its a noticeable step up compared to a lot of shooters at the time. It sets up the immediate situation while sprinkling in some cool details here and there to provide some wider context.

I haven't seen this show yet and, based on the comments I'm reading, probably never will, but just want to chime in and say that this opening blew me (and all my friends) away the first time we saw it in 2001. It's kind of hard to think about it now, but Halo's storytelling and cinematic presentation was far ahead of any other FPS at the time.

Slight spoilers I guess - but I also loved how OG Halo handled the Flood reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALT7rhmUXmc

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
The original game had better camera work than the anniversary edition in my opinion. All the cutscenes look wooden and cheesy, despite better graphics. But gameplay looks nicer.

I'm gonna giggle if this episode ends with a Sgt. Johnson scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
CE Anniversary just looks bad.

Halo 2 Anniversary looks incredible, barring the one scene of a Phantom flying backwards.

CE is kinda timeless but Halo 2 is so quintessentially a product of the early 2000s that I can't help but love it for that.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 20, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Halo 2 remaster looks so loving good except I don't think the Blur cutscenes actually add anything over the original real-time cutscenes. In some cases I think they lose shot composition from original Halo 2. People love that Blur look but to me it's just...I dunno, gloss and specular and money on the screen. I wish they'd just done the original cutscenes with remastered assets but maybe the near total lack of facial animation would've made that impossible, lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The sound design on the Blur cutscenes is real good but yeah, some scenes lack certain subtleties, particularly with some of the Arbiter cutscenes. The lack of fade cuts between Chief's award ceremony and arbiters punishment (using a black screen hard cut instead) disrupts the thematic parallel the scene was meant to convey. Lord Hood starts a sentence and Tartarus finishes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klK5yJsxy-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YrsAVIpJC8

"For a soldier of the United Earth Space Corps / there can be no greater heresy!"

But the Anniversary scene disrupts the transition with a hard cut. It also removes Keith David's scream when he is branded, using a generic Elite yell instead.

Additionally, compare this scene where Tartarus hears the truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwjHU8KkLXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWCgU4GEBdM

The Anniversary version has Arbiter be more stonefaced, while the original has that small head droop. Spark telling them the truth is just as much for Arbiter to hear it himself and accept what the Gravemind and Chief had already told him. The head droop is his reality shattering in front of him. That's missing from the remaster.

That all said, the remastered version of the scene where he becomes The Arbiter is arguably the best storytelling Halo has ever done. The editing is sharper, the sound is richer, the music is grander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGYyocIsBo

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I haven't seen this show yet and, based on the comments I'm reading, probably never will, but just want to chime in and say that this opening blew me (and all my friends) away the first time we saw it in 2001. It's kind of hard to think about it now, but Halo's storytelling and cinematic presentation was far ahead of any other FPS at the time.

Slight spoilers I guess - but I also loved how OG Halo handled the Flood reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALT7rhmUXmc

Yeah, the halo series being so cinematic in the first place is where my absolute naivete came from going into this show thinking "ok, they're doing their own thing and you know, whatever its a different medium you gotta change some stuff up, but i'm interested in how this is going to lead into The pillar of autumn arriving at the ring, guilty spark and the truth of the ring, the release of the flood, tree man keyes, the invasion of earth and giving back their bomb, the arbiter's sentencing, chief crashing back through orbit, zombie high charity screaming out of slipspace", etc etc etc as all these moments are so iconic, it would be weird to not include much of it in a literal cinematic adaptation. So much so my brain wasn't even twinging to "oh, they're just not going to do anything that was actually in any of these very cinematic games", and just kind of thought they're being slow in leading up to it all.

Again, i'm not saying the show needs to slavishly follow a video game series to be good, not at all, it can be its own thing as long as its good, it just seems weird to take a story beloved for its set pieces and cinematic nature and cut out the story while keeping the characters and setting. Much in the same way its been really bizarre to take a series known and beloved for its iconic musical themes and then.... basically not include any of the musical cues.