Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's a shame diallos doesn't drop his armour, because I kind of want it but also that means doing the volcano manor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rapier was more fun for my great shield build.

I just straight tanked through Malenia's bullshit and then kept gently poking her.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Nuebot posted:

It's a shame diallos doesn't drop his armour, because I kind of want it but also that means doing the volcano manor.

That you need to choose between killing Patches for his armor or letting him live to do his Volcano Manor quest and get Targoth's set for easy heavy poise gloves/legs is cruelty.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

That you need to choose between killing Patches for his armor or letting him live to do his Volcano Manor quest and get Targoth's set for easy heavy poise gloves/legs is cruelty.

Targoth's set is ugly

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
you can kill patches for his armor after he goes back to the cave though. like it doesn't even take much longer.

you murderer

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Unfortunately it means you’ve put poison on a perfectly good weapon when the only real utility for it in this game is the Poison Mist spell for cheesing certain overworld bosses.

Poison Moth Flight is the real winner, but idk if you can put it on thrusting swords?

Paired with the rot and bleed talismans its ridiculous.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

So I've basically gone through two games of Elden Ring; I beat the end boss as a melee and once as a caster. I did not know until I tried to actually start a NG+ that there is a site of grace at roundtable hold. I always went somewhere else to sort chest, organize spells/spirits, etc. and then went back to Hewg/Roderika.

I didn't know there was a shortcut to teleporting to the Roundtable Hold until I was in the endgame. I also didn't know you could teleport to the underground from aboveground and vice versa until pretty late.

Nuebot posted:

Targoth's set is ugly

Yeah it stinks how much better Havel's or Giantdad looked.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I want a skill that lets me do the stupid skeleton flight that some of the undead guys do

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
you know, that's a good point. I hope the DLC gives us skeleton canoe

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

if you can parry something you can parry it with anything. weapon parries are just really bad and hard to pull off.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The scimitar parry has a startup of 6 frames and then is only parry active for 2(!!), it sucks poo poo.

Parrying dagger is 6/4 (also pretty bad, but literally twice as good as scimitar)
Small shield is 5/5
Buckler is 4/5
Carian and golden are 4/6

Steve Yun posted:

This is what I found on google

Edit: also maybe I should man up and give up my brass shield for buckler

I appreciate all of this info 🙏

I am gonna continue parrying with my scimitar cause I can't get enough of that sweet flip animation and I love the challenge of it, glad to know I still got a fighting chance of landing it :discourse:

EDIT: Ah, one more thing! Is there a handy list of weapons that can/cannot be parried? All I know is that flails can't be parried, I'd rather not waste time with those types of enemies.

White Light fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 19, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't get the rationale behind weapon parries being so much worse than the ash of war special parries. You're already making a sacrifice by trading blocking for a sidearm attack, I figure the parrying dagger should at least have the same frames as carian in return?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It feels like there's a weird disconnect between the utility of parrying and the difficulty/restrictions of it. Like, the timing on it is so strict, and the extent to which you have to go out of your way for your offhand to have a usable number of parry frames is so great, that you would think it's a move with such wide utility that it would trivialize the game if they made it any better. That's really not true at all. It's mostly good against run-of-the-mill humanoid enemies that you can beat with whatever strategy you like. Most bosses are unparryable. Among those that are, the harder ones require two or even three parries to get a riposte on. I honestly feel like if you could put a 14-frame parry on any offhand it still would usually not be the best option.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

from has been overcompensating for how easy and consistent parries are in DS1 ever since

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

from has been overcompensating for how easy and consistent parries are in DS1 ever since

It's a shame because being able to kill gwyn with parry and riposte moves was the sickest poo poo in that game

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

You can absolutely just refuse to dodge behind a shield against most/all bosses, but that's a dedicated build and definitely only even remotely possible with greatshields. There's even a strength scaling great spear that can take infusions for shield poking. It's also a bit dull, but once you get bored you have a fully functional strength build already to play around with.

every shield becomes the fingerprint shield with the barricade shield ash of war

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Sometimes I throw on the mirror shield so I can still use my weapon art while having the ability to guard counter and not take damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want an ash of war that lets me do albinauric cartwheels.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Fister Roboto posted:

:same: except I want an emote

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

same except i want the spiky bleed cartwheels that the albinaurics in moghwyn do

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

same except i want the spiky bleed cartwheels that the albinaurics in moghwyn do

Best I can do is a lightning goat roll, sorry.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Targoth’s set is ugly but the legs and gloves are more or less fine and they get you most of the way up to the reasonable poise breakpoint especially with the bullgoat Talisman.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Targoth’s set is ugly but the legs and gloves are more or less fine and they get you most of the way up to the reasonable poise breakpoint especially with the bullgoat Talisman.

the legs actually look sick but i can lose the rest of the set

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
The helmet and greaves from Tragoth's set are the only super-heavy armor pieces that don't make me wince. I am really excited for some more heavy armor sets in the DLC, because while Elden Ring has a ton of excellent light/medium armor sets, most of the heavier sets leave me pretty cold. The scaled set is good, but the helmet is silly.

edit: also for the love of GOD give me a chest piece that matches Iji's mirrorhelm, because I love that stupid thing and it doesn't go with anything in the game.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I do wish they had more super heavy stuff. Give me a 20 weight pair of gloves with 60 poise that are invisible. Then I can just play with fashion.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How about something that lets you have the appearance of wearing one set of armor while wearing a different set of armor? Disabled during multiplayer, of course.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Morality_Police posted:

The helmet and greaves from Tragoth's set are the only super-heavy armor pieces that don't make me wince. I am really excited for some more heavy armor sets in the DLC, because while Elden Ring has a ton of excellent light/medium armor sets, most of the heavier sets leave me pretty cold. The scaled set is good, but the helmet is silly.

edit: also for the love of GOD give me a chest piece that matches Iji's mirrorhelm, because I love that stupid thing and it doesn't go with anything in the game.

I mean, the Banished Knight set is an easy farm in Caelid with the sweet rear end red mantle. Chest piece with blue is brutal to farm though for real. Then there are the Crucible Armors and Tree Sentinel Armor which goes well with my using a huge loving stick to beat people with.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ariong posted:

How about something that lets you have the appearance of wearing one set of armor while wearing a different set of armor? Disabled during multiplayer, of course.

I sincerely love there isn't a glam system in these games, it gives a little bit more physicality to the game world. If you want to wear the fashion pay the toll

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

No Dignity posted:

I sincerely love there isn't a glam system in these games, it gives a little bit more physicality to the game world. If you want to wear the fashion pay the toll

It could work like FFXIV's glam system - in which you cannot glam to something you haven't acquired. So the toll still gets paid.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The toll isn't acquisition, it's in playing the game going forward with 3 poise and 1% damage mitigation because you're just wearing a thin dress or whatever. There is great pride in not only pulling your outfit off, but beating the game or some fiendishly difficult boss wearing it. I don't see From taking that away, it's very in line with their philosophy of how they want players engaging with their worlds.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nah I like it forces a level of diegesis in your character building. No putting deathbed dress on top of bullgoats for the fashion, you do have to wear what you're wearing

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Yeah, glams would be a serious non-starter for me too. Half the fun of Souls is weighing whether to look good or survive being hit with a sword bigger than your own body. Once you can do both, only then will you have truly got good.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

doomrider7 posted:

Then there are the Crucible Armors and Tree Sentinel Armor which goes well with my using a huge loving stick to beat people with.

My admittedly niche problem with those sets is the colossal loving shoulderpads. I always feel like I'm Murphy Brown with those chest pieces on.

...although that being said, the consort's crown with the tree sentinel BP gloves and greaves makes for a fun King Baldwin of Jerusalem cosplay.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

No Dignity posted:

Nah I like it forces a level of diegesis in your character building. No putting deathbed dress on top of bullgoats for the fashion, you do have to wear what you're wearing

Well then they should come up with a way to diagetically implement some super-heavy armor that doesn't look horrible.

EDIT: Like I'm not asking to be able to look like I'm wearing a dress while wearing bull-goat armor, I just want to have the stats of a set of super heavy armor while wearing something that looks like a cool set of super heavy armor, without having a bunch of weird stuff bolted on or a big bulging belly for no reason.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The DLC looks like you'll have some good new options there. One looks like a real classic Black Iron-style set at least

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

No Dignity posted:

The DLC looks like you'll have some good new options there. One looks like a real classic Black Iron-style set at least

I saw that one NPC in the trailer with the repeating crossbow and knew that I would either be completing their quest or cruelly betraying them, whichever it takes to get their armor for myself.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The game is just seriously lacking in super heavy armor, astonishingly so compared to Souls games. It's been a complaint of mine since day 1. There's a lot of stuff on the heavier side of medium armor that should rightly be beefed up.

Morality_Police posted:

My admittedly niche problem with those sets is the colossal loving shoulderpads. I always feel like I'm Murphy Brown with those chest pieces on.

...although that being said, the consort's crown with the tree sentinel BP gloves and greaves makes for a fun King Baldwin of Jerusalem cosplay.

Crucible tree armor has much more muted shoulder pads, but still very likely to be big enough to annoy

Each piece of the set also boosts crucible incant damage by 3.5%

I use them on a lot of playthroughs because I love the crucible incants now and also they're just a great mix of protection, weight, and fashion. Once I get the beast champion chest though that's what I use forever if I have the endurance for it

No Dignity posted:

oh man, I always used the black iron set in the old games, loving love everything about it, really hope I can return to it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i just want something colored green, like actual no-poo poo green, not Faraam aquamarine or whatever

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I want blue pants. Literally any shade of blue. Greaves with blue trimmings would be fine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd like some more light options that aren't dirty robes too, deathbed dress is nice but it's like the only item in its class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
all my fromsoft rpg characters wear an airy, lightweight fabric or leather chestpiece with the heaviest boots, gauntlets and maybe helm they can find. it always looks good, its logical for an offensive dex melee fighter whos more worried about hurting themselves with reckless maneuvers than being stabbed in center mass, and it has roughly the same stats as a full set of medium armor