Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

euphronius posted:

You worship Jesus ?

Jesus was simply a skinsuit for YHWH similar to the Space-Roach dressed in a farmer from the hit comedy Men in Black (1997)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I understand and have in mind history but I’m mostly talking about how Christianity is practiced now in the various churches and tents across the world. No one is talking about the Holy Spirit (except maybe as mentioned those learned doctors of divinity)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

I understand and have in mind history but I’m mostly talking about how Christianity is practiced now in the various churches and tents across the world. No one is talking about the Holy Spirit (except maybe as mentioned those learned doctors of divinity)

As someone who grew up evangelical, you don't know what you're talking about. Pentecostalism is the fastest growing denomination in the world and they center the Holy Spirit.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

The Pentecostals would beg to differ.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The success of Christianity and Islam comes down to a more efficient structure. People got to keep most of their old paganic ways, but only had to pay to priests of one temple to get blessings. It's like getting the contents of all streaming services from one site.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

The Pentecostals would beg to differ.

Yea I did forget them

Sorry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the big difference was the missionary impulse. A little witnessing goes a long way. As does having your western outlying territories colonize and expropriate several large continents

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

something like 1.3 billion Catholics disagree

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Like if somehow the Americas were conquered by China, Vietnam and Japan we’d have a conversation about why Buddhism and Islam were the top dogs, despite the Frankish religion having so many similarities to Islam.

Might blame it on Frankish drunkenness :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Have you ever been to a church?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok I’m sorry I forgot the Holy Spirit

Mea culpa

Still not Abraham’s god by definition

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

I think the big difference was the missionary impulse. A little witnessing goes a long way. As does having your western outlying territories colonize and expropriate several large continents

The structure of mono- vs. polytheism would point to it, if you're part of a polytheistic tradition, and those guys over there say they worship a different god, your worldview allows for that. If you believe in one and only one God, well, those guys are worshipping demons. I just think it's weird that you don't have competing non-Abrahamic monotheistic religions, you don't see a lot of other monotheistic religions through history, period. I guess the memetic strength of the Abrahamic religions are just that strong.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

Not just the missionary impulse, but also the imperialist impulse, I think. Christianity getting wrapped up as the official state religion of Rome was one of the best (in terms of recruitment) and worst (in terms of the actual intended message and work) things that ever happened to Christianity historically. And then that imperial flavored Christianity spread to many other expansionistic empires who could use such a strong religious form of control in their expansion, such as the United Kingdom, France, United States, etc.

There is actually a lot of scholarship about the Abrahamic god's/other religions' historical places in the world. It's just hard to find sometimes, especially in places where such research might offend deep believers. I will try to dig some up for the thread though when I have time, if no one else has references on hand.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And the same thing with Islam

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Gaius Marius posted:

And the same thing with Islam
Exactly. Although Islam is an interesting special case, in that much of its imperialism seems to have been for a long time, a sort of quasi-anti-imperialism, centered around opposing what were viewed as the evil parts of Rome.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rome declared for centuries that it had never and would never fight an offensive war, neither. that's more of an instance of the general tendency for states to baldfacedly lie

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

Exactly. Although Islam is an interesting special case, in that much of its imperialism seems to have been for a long time, a sort of quasi-anti-imperialism, centered around opposing what were viewed as the evil parts of Rome.
How’d that hold up once they got east of Afghanistan (everyone forgets about the huge numbers of Malaysian and Indonesian Muslims)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rome declared for centuries that it had never and would never fight an offensive war, neither. that's more of an instance of the general tendency for states to baldfacedly lie
I mean they were kind of lying with that, like states do. You're right. But Rome as a culture was also sometimes uniquely obsessed with this idea of always being the defensive, heroic good guys in war. I've read about how if they wanted to aggressively invade someone with little justification, they would often just do a special diplomatic ritual that would basically symbolically invent a noble, defensive justification for their invasion, before they declared war. One example that sticks out from my reading is they would have a single Roman guy, representing the potential enemy, throw a single weapon at Rome/Roman stuff, making Rome now under attack by that group. Spiritually.) It was kind of legalistic and silly, but many took it seriously from what I can tell, because they thought it did metaphysically make their violence more justified.

It's a bit like the "I'm not touching you" of imperialism. Go wherever you want with huge aggressive armies, purely to help the local population/your allies of course. Then if any of the locals resent that (and your taxes), and try to resist or fight back, then you have all the reason you need to conquer them all and take their stuff, whenever you have the time and ability.

Nessus posted:

How’d that hold up once they got east of Afghanistan (everyone forgets about the huge numbers of Malaysian and Indonesian Muslims)
I don't recall exactly at the moment, but not very well as far as avoiding actual imperialism, no. That's why I said "quasi-imperial", and meant to imply that it wasn't always the case throughout Muslim history.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That’s legit. No faith so pure that it can’t end up serving an emperor after all

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regardless of whatever your theistic opinions on the nature of the divine and how all people who don't share the exact same interpretations have gone off on some kind of wild and crazy devil-worshipping heresy and probably should be burnt alive for their transgressions or at least be excluded from the big religion club that never actually has meetings, 55% of the world follows religions that all have their roots in the same traditions, whether you're Anglica, Maronite, Hasidic, Baptist, Anabaptist, Alawite, Latter Day Saint, Salafi, Cathar, Haymanot, Ibadi, Jacobite, Ismaili, Rocor, Sunni, or Karaite, you're part of a big huge long history of a series of traditions that usually share some scripture somewhere along the line.

I don't really know if anyone has really put together big theories for why specifically all that sprung forth from a relatively small place and group of people. Maybe being centrally located helped, or being in one of the most populated regions of the ancient era, but there were a lot of different groups there. Also the nature of religion and ideas means that it can be disseminated in a weird way totally different from geneology. Nothing so simple as just tracking bloodlines. People convert all over, ideas can lie dormant and get revived, groups can combine or split or recombine as time goes on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

As someone who grew up evangelical, you don't know what you're talking about.

That's a legitimate reaction to every euphronius post.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Every Christian I have met in the USA 100% does not worship the god of Abraham. At all.

Maybe a learned doctor of divinity could explain the connection to you if you asked them

First of all, with God, all things are possible, so jot that down

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I grew up in a state Lutheran church where every priest is required by law to have a Master's in theology before they can land the gig.

I don't think I ever heard much about the Holy Ghost, just vague platitudes about God's love. Not that I went often, most people belong to the church but only really old people go more than once or twice per year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lots of “YHWH loves you “ bumper stickers in the USA

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really know if anyone has really put together big theories for why specifically all that sprung forth from a relatively small place and group of people. .

Personally I blame Constantine

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That Sting looking motherfucker owes me thirty bucks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He saw the sign, and it opened up his eyes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We should bring back the Chi Rho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think there's a good parallel in the comparison of Zeus and Jupiter.

All three Abrahamic religions are just putting their particular flavor on the Sky Father. They're worshipping the same figure even if they're coming at it from different perspectives.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

euphronius posted:

We should bring back the Chi Rho

Catholics still use it all the time you really do not seem to know much about any type of Christianity

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah if you’re basing your whole critique of Christianity on American right wing evangelicals, you’re sort of backhandedly endorsing their claim to be the one true faith, not an obnoxious sub variant with undue influence due to historical contingencies

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nessus posted:

Yeah if you’re basing your whole critique of Christianity on American right wing evangelicals, you’re sort of backhandedly endorsing their claim to be the one true faith, not an obnoxious sub variant with undue influence due to historical contingencies

Nearly all forms of Christianity do suck though, i guess the unitarians are ok, if silly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unitarian is the last church I went to and that is not even Christian in the way it was practiced at all. Very vaguely

Edit

UU to be clear

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 19, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There’s Unitarian Christianity but the UUs in America are basically the Church for Leftish Folks Who Enjoy The Church Experience (Or Are Real Darn Small, But Need Some Folks)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

zoux posted:

Is this just a byproduct of monotheism vs polytheism?

yes

quote:

Other than Zoroastrianism, were there other monotheistic non-Abrahamic religions?

not really no.

Orbs posted:

Not just the missionary impulse, but also the imperialist impulse, I think. Christianity getting wrapped up as the official state religion of Rome was one of the best (in terms of recruitment) and worst (in terms of the actual intended message and work) things that ever happened to Christianity historically.

yes

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really know if anyone has really put together big theories for why specifically all that sprung forth from a relatively small place and group of people.

I have actually been reading a lot about the big perspective shift humans had w/r/t religion over the last several months, but haven't been posting about it as much as I have been thinking about it because a lot of it does come down to things that would offend practicing monotheists if not aired politely and with a full bibliography. Most of the articles I have found interesting enough to put them somewhere others might see have ended up in the witchcraft thread in C-SPAM, since a lot of my posting in there has been of the "hey did you guys know 'magic' is actually just different ways of practicing 'religion'???" varieties.

zoux posted:

The structure of mono- vs. polytheism would point to it, if you're part of a polytheistic tradition, and those guys over there say they worship a different god, your worldview allows for that. If you believe in one and only one God, well, those guys are worshipping demons. I just think it's weird that you don't have competing non-Abrahamic monotheistic religions, you don't see a lot of other monotheistic religions through history, period.

A combination of what Orbs points out, which is that Rome adopted Christianity as its state religion, and what zoux observes here, that the very structure of monotheism invalidates any rival belief structure, are two of the key factors. Before the rise of Christianity the majority of recorded human belief was polytheist. The Hebrew tribes are included in this; you can see in the old testament evidence of the struggle in getting the Israelites to stop worshipping other Gods like Tammuz and Asherah. I'm more phone post-y than usual today so I don't have a bunch of sources here but the book of Jeremiah for example has people complaining that they don't want to stop worshipping the Queen of Heaven but Jeremiah goes Well that's too bad you gotta, God damnit. Yahweh made a covenant with the nation/people of Israel that they would have no God before him in exchange for his blessings and getting the people to obey the rules of this covenant was apparently quite a challenge at times. So the solution to this from the Yahwists was to invent monotheism.

Arguably, monotheism had been invented once before, by some guy named Akhen-Aten none of us have ever heard of. Historians like drawing throughlines from the only briefly imposed Atenism (really more monolatry or henotheism than monotheism) to the figure of Moses and the development of Biblical monotheism.

The thing is that polytheism is by nature inclusive. It allows for the belief in other Gods whom you do not acknowledge or worship. A polytheist can believe in a monotheist's God, they just know the monotheist is wrong about whether or not there are more Gods than just that one. A monotheist cannot believe in a polytheist's Gods, or by definition they are no longer a monotheist. The reason you don't see other monotheist religions rising and falling through the ages is that it is a model specific to Abrahamic religion, shaped by narratives intended to keep worship focused on the single entity that the leaders of the people of the time wanted their people to be worshipping. Therefore also the aggressive scouring for and punishment of people who worship other Gods throughout the ages: it is against the monotheist religion to allow polytheism, the acknowledgement of any God outside of Yahweh, to exist.

The Council of Nicea then worked some rhetorical magic to make Yahweh, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit all the same entity, as bob dobbs observed. The Trinity trick is actually extremely common in polytheism (tripartite Goddesses, anyone?) but when Christians do it it's still monotheism, because words are magic and belief is reality.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re: missionary instincts, I thought Islam (or at least early Islam) was notably different from Christianity in that this was way less of a deal for them? Like there is a sort of imperialist bent to it (this area should be ruled by proper Muslims, like all areas), but then there didn't seem to be much focus at all on the religion of the conquered people. Christianity remained the majority religion in areas conquered by the initial Arab expansion wave for a looong time, and of course there's the Ottomans where almost all of the European areas remained Christian right up to the end of the Empire.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess my question is "since monotheism is so successful as a religion, it's odd that it only got invented one time" but I suppose if there were other monotheistic religions the Abrahamic derived ones would look less impressive.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

I guess my question is "since monotheism is so successful as a religion, it's odd that it only got invented one time" but I suppose if there were other monotheistic religions the Abrahamic derived ones would look less impressive.

Christianity and Islam have also existed for a very short time and both could have been strangled in their cradles. 2000 years is such a short period in the history of religion, it could be a fad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Egyptians invented it. The Persians invented it. Celtic beliefs were erased who knows. There are monotheistic interpretations of Hinduism. Sikhism is arguably monotheistic. I don’t know about Chinese religions.

And I still argue Christianity is not monotheistic. If it monotheistic is then Hinduism is too

Edit

Forgot Rastafarianism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/monotheism/#MonOri

Just read this if you guys are interested. It's clear that this thread is totally out of it's depth on this.