Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
maybe im ignorant but i use a bluetooth adapter on my phone to aux in my car and it sounds perfectly fine. before this car i used a cassette adapter from the aux on my phone and that sounded completely fine too. i dont really see how a usb splitter would diminish the quality either it's a digital output :confused: can someone explain why thats bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It's entirely possible my auxiliary port is just garbage because it definitely cuts out all the time along with sounding like poo poo. Like I have to plug it in the most absolutely perfect way and never touch it at all or it cuts off.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't want to make my life more difficult by having recharge my headphones too

Yeah seriously, or if the contacts to charge the headphones wear out, or if the battery wears out, or if they're some IoT bullshit and a firmware update bricks them or they won't pair to your device because [myriad of reasons].

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Vampire Panties posted:

You can switch to 6:00 and a pinch grip on the wheel as well.

7:00 with a "c'mere a minute" grip w/the left hand

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

left at 9:00 and right on the gearshift :clint:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Knees while drinking a soda and eating a hamburger

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BalloonFish posted:

I listened to an interesting radio documentary about advertising that did a whole bit about how former Eastern Bloc countries still have a very different cultural attitude to it: In the days of planned economies and communism most consumer items or luxuries were either desirable but unavailable or over-produced, outdated low-quality garbage. Almost everything else, and especially anything that wasn't the most basic or essential form of 'thing' was in short supply. So advertising was mostly superfluous - people didn't really want what they had and couldn't get what they wanted. A product that was advertised was either so terrible that no one wanted it or so rare that it might as well have been fiction.

Conversely I have a lot of DDR made stuff though (I buy lots of old tools) and it's often good quality poo poo, DDR bench grinder, USSR micrometers and such. Also a pair of jerry cans in aluminum that are branded USSR, superior to their western counterparts in steel IMO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don’t disagree but how long have aux ports been gone from basically all phones? Like 6 or 7 years now?

News to me, terrible news. Guess my phone is 5 years now but it wasn't the latest model, I love the aux port, hate bluetooth.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my car has a cassette deck and i have a cassette to aux converter in it and now i have to buy tape to bluetooth which looks like it requires charging so that's epic. dunno what im gonna do for my truck, aux to bluetooth i guess which also requires charging

I just went through a bunch of effort to make my own aux port for my cassette player in my car. I'll probably have this phone 2 more years unless something happens to it, will be interesting to see the state of things then.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 19, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
bluetooth is fine when it is working as it should. when it doesn't work, it is amongst the most aggravating things ever

unfortunately it does not work as it should 100% of the time or even close to that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The first thing I did when I bought my truck, since it was cheap and I had the money aside for the actual maintenance stuff, was buy a Pioneer CD playing head unit with bluetooth, a wired mic, an aux and a SiriusXM hookup and threw that poo poo into it.

The bluetooth has been wonky for a long time but it works fine, you just have to set it up rather than it auto-connecting these days.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

thathonkey posted:

bluetooth is fine when it is working as it should. when it doesn't work, it is amongst the most aggravating things ever

unfortunately it does not work as it should 100% of the time or even close to that

We use lots of things in our daily lives that don't always work reliably. What makes Bluetooth stand out in aggravation is that when it does start working, there's almost never any indication as to why.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Dip Viscous posted:

We use lots of things in our daily lives that don't always work reliably. What makes Bluetooth stand out in aggravation is that when it does start working, there's almost never any indication as to why.

For like 20 years bluetooth was so lovely I kept thinking of it as something new. The past 2 years my bluetooth life has been pretty good.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

yeah theres many reasons why but i think chief among them is the thing it replaced for no good reason did work much closer to 100% of the time and the wireless convenience of bluetooth doesnt really outweigh that for most listening applications, especially so in the car

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Internet Old One posted:

For like 20 years bluetooth was so lovely I kept thinking of it as something new. The past 2 years my bluetooth life has been pretty good.

my momentum 3s got me through work for 2 years

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Bluetooth on windows was/is complete trash

Bluetooth on audio peripherals has been pretty solid for ten years or so IME

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

yeah windows bluetooth sucks poo poo, my S8+ does it pretty well, and my JBL Charge 5 doesn't skip a beat ever

actually my Victrola AOI turntable is a really reliable bluetooth speaker, too lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah computer bluetooth is garbage. Every now and again I remember it exists when I need to transfer a file and the whole thing is like a loving science experiment and it usually fails.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's just inconsistent how well it works with any given pair of transmitter/receiver, whereas again the tech it replaced was extremely stable and nearly universal. a problem i still regularly have with bluetooth is on shared receivers. such as if you and family both play in the car, or home audio system. pairing and unpairing is just annoying enough that you dont want to have to do it anywhere near each time you use

for example sometimes when my wife starts her car while i am in the house my phone will takeover the connection. yet sometimes the connection is poor when im in the same room as another receiver. it's bad

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
My car's Bluetooth is so garbage that 90% of the time I just listen to the radio.

Unless it's over a 30-45 minute trip, it's just not worth the hassle of fighting with it to connect, MAYBE, on the 5th try.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My cars Bluetooth has been in pretty great. Blew my mind when I walked out to car and cnnversation continued inside, short drive and got out of the car and right back into my phone no I put from me. Seamless.
Windows Bluetooth blows though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
this is more an iPhone thing but I really enjoy starting the car and with bluetooth selected on my receiver and my phone deciding it's going to play apple music or spotify instead of the podcast or audible book I was just listening to when turned the car off last.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I connect my phone to rental cars 50+ times a year and they usually work but since you are normally always charging !! Your phone in a car it seems superfluous to a direct usb connection

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
Google assistant worked for like, a week with holding down home after I switched it from the power button, after they took away activating it with the search bar microphone. Now they broke that.

I just want to set timers and sometimes... awkwardly fail at creating an event.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nvidia Wants to Replace Nurses With AI for $9 an Hour: Your health could soon be in the hands of Nvidia-powered AI nurses, and they cost your healthcare provider next to nothing.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 19, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you need an AI to double check that URL for ya

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Nvidia Wants to Replace Nurses With AI for $9 an Hour: Your health could soon be in the hands of Nvidia-powered AI nurses, and they cost your healthcare provider next to nothing.

If this is the best they can do the ai era will soon be over

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mozi posted:

you need an AI to double check that URL for ya

Defeated by phone posting. Fixed now. Thanks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I guess this is technically something that's ALWAYS been shittier, but I have two or three 2-factor logins (banks/CCs) that will not use my Google Voice number because they're sitll scared of IP phones.

So I have to use the phone's "actual" number, which I never use EXCEPT for these two-factor things.

Is it a big deal? No, I suppose not. But GV had the advantage that I could theoretically login even if I didn't have my phone, as long as I have a computer I'm still logged into Google with through Voice's web app.

And these bank and CC websites also refuse to use any form of 2-factor other than text or phone call.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

wash bucket posted:

While the above is of course just a performance art project trying to kill someone with an overdose of penicillin, GPT has actually been quite useful medical tool for me. It helps with checking medication/supplements interactions. It has also diagnosed a skin condition for someone I know which their lovely dermatologist couldn't(or didn't want) to figure out. You of course need to have an ironclad rule to never follow any medical advice/diagnosis it gives you unless it can provide a credible source for it. Only ever do what the credible source says.

It's an order of magnitude better than Dr. Google and used correctly it could cut down on doctor visits(but of course it's just gonna be used by hypochondriacs to self-diagnose with the bubonic plague and lupus and clog up the emergency rooms even more)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm sure AI will totally improve the way people use the internet to self diagnose themselves with completely wrong ailments

For starters, AI will happily invent brand new diseases and diagnoses!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Ai is good if you don’t rely on it “

Ok

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
as with every generation of ai tech, i think it has (increasingly larger but still very) niche applications where it could potentially be useful but the hype train must run its course. so it is thrown at every problem for a few years until enough people come to understand its limitations

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

thathonkey posted:

as with every generation of ai tech, i think it has (increasingly larger but still very) niche applications where it could potentially be useful but the hype train must run its course. so it is thrown at every problem for a few years until enough people come to understand its limitations

Any time you are in the position of searching for a problem to use your new solution on you have messed up. Crypto, metaverse, the segway, AI; the all share this feature.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Segway had a perfect mall cop niche. Rip malls tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah I'm sure AI will totally improve the way people use the internet to self diagnose themselves with completely wrong ailments

For starters, AI will happily invent brand new diseases and diagnoses!

It sounds like you have POVERTY OP!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Will the AI nurses be housed in robot bodies so they can lift/move patients and insert IV's and give injections and insert catheters and so forth? I'd hope so.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Desert Bus posted:

Will the AI nurses be housed in robot bodies so they can lift/move patients and insert IV's and give injections and insert catheters and so forth? I'd hope so.

Don't be ridiculous. Minimum wage teenagers will be doing that with the instruction of the AI.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Didn't Elon say the Tesla Bot will be programmed to not hurt humans? And it's AI ready thanks to Tesla's FSD research.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Never played it but I’m imagining the strong Atomic Hearts robot lady gingerly carrying my decrepit body to bed, then accidentally breaking my humerus while trying to inject medication into my arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

The AI nurses will conclude that direct medical care is unnecessary and/or not covered by your insurance.