Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Xanasar posted:

I will take sand dunes over jungle planets any day.

But Bot Vietnam is the best map because you can emerge out of nowhere, drop an obscene amount of firepower on them, and then disappear into the treeline while they ineffectively plink away at the trees near where you just were. Meanwhile, you've escaped into the forest and popped out near their heavy outpost only to drop an Orbital Laser on it before fading back into the trees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Bloopsy posted:

I quick played into a game with 10 seconds until the pelican arrived. We all make it in easily and I’m thinking I’m the beneficiary of all my teammates hard work. Except they didn’t do anything…no samples, mission objectives failed, and -225 for civilian deaths. Only xp was for the full extraction and level 7 bonus. I’ve had some bad missions but seeing 0 stars and Disgraceful Conduct was great. Bless those teammates for loving up so bad lol.

rofl that might have been me; my SO and I were playing after a week off and while we had done level 7 stuff easy, mission just absolutely clocked us. all we managed to do was kite 3 bile titans around and get a bunch of civvies killed and at one point while reinforcing me they had thrown an SOS beacon by mistake. I don't remember seeing so many terminid heavies on an evacuate mission before.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's also only large and medium outposts the cause the patrols to increase after 50% of them have been destroyed.

You've got this backwards. Every enemy base you destroy contributes to increasing the global spawn rate. Light bases don't have the local aura that increases spawns when you're nearby like medium/large bases do. So there's no particular incentive to destroy a light base unless you really want those 2 samples in it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked it better in my pretend world where clearing out bases was a beneficial thing to do

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Speaking of EMS mortars I wish the mortars were manually controllable and could be carried.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Current major order: go die for E-710 profits

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Warmachine posted:

With no further context, you were in the right. gently caress mortars on anything other that like Bot Eradicate.

I've had really good luck using them to blow the poo poo out of hordes of bugs during shuttle extractions. There are better things I'm sure but the sentry guns seem to run out way too fast.

ninjewtsu posted:

i liked it better in my pretend world where clearing out bases was a beneficial thing to do

Don't listen to this traitorous nonsense. Every bug that lives is 1000 dead citizens.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Warmachine posted:

What I won't do is pick a fight with a patrol in the middle of nowhere unless that patrol is actively blocking my path and I can't go around it.

I've stopped pinging patrols in pub groups with mid level players because a lot of them take it to mean 'we're taking out this group' when what I mean to say is 'hey lets avoid these.'

Eediot Jedi posted:

You need an auto cannon boy, or an AMR boy. They absolutely dumpster hulks from the front if they have breathing room to aim. Stun grenades and auto cannon is a top tier bot load out imo, regardless of what else you bring.

I'mma do it, I'm gonna learn to Autocannon all the bots.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

causticBeet posted:

It’s kind of hard to say definitively because we don’t know enough (unless people did more research that I’m missing) about the rate increase you get for being near POIs, which clearing out nests will mitigate. Killing 50% of the nests has a one time increase, but this needs to be weighed against the dynamic POI heat increases to really evaluate it. Also I don’t think it ramps for each additional nest, just crossing that 50% threshold.

Anecdotally, I do not feel like I get punished in game for full clearing a map and it will often feel like it’s a quieter push to extract on a map where all the nearby spawners have been cleared. I think the system is a bit more complex in how it plays out than just being able to say “killing >50% of the spawners is bad and will always be a penalty to the players” because it just doesn’t feel like it works out that way.

Someone did some pretty extensive testing and did a writeup. This information has propagated telephone-style and been misunderstood to mean that the "correct" thing to do is not destroy any outposts or do secondary objectives or clear POIs. This is wrong, and full clearing the map is fine and nothing has changed in that regard. Given the testing methodology, the exact values may not be correct but supposedly these are the numbers (all multiplicative, not additive):

Objectives / POIs with an "area of influence" - Patrol spawn rate multiplied by up to 1.5x while active, depending on proximity, linear starting at 0% outside 150m and maxing at 50% at 50m.
Primary Objective - Patrol spawn rate multiplied by 3.64x after the primary objective is completed.
Extraction - Permanent area of influence that multiplies by a flat 1.5x in the radius. Does not scale with proximity, unlike objectives/POIs.
Small Outposts - do NOT have an area of influence, unlike medium or heavy outposts
Killing outposts in general - At 50% outposts dead, there is no spawn rate increase. This increases linearly until with all outposts dead multiply spawn rate by about 1.175x. The increase from killing outposts is being tremendously overrated.
Secondary Objectives - Certain secondary objectives have their own area of influence on top of the generic 1.5x one. (Stratagem Jammers, Detector Towers). These are smaller at 1.1x but also stack their multiplier, but again, it goes away if you kill the objective.

Players within 75m of each other constitute a "player group", which can range in size from 1 (player not near anyone) to 4 (all players). Larger groups have faster spawn timers (A 3-player group has approximately a 1.333x spawn speed compared to a solo. A 2-player group has a 1.166x spawn speed compare to solo. 4 player groups weren't tested, but are probably a 1.5x multiplier). Each player group will generate patrol spawns independently (a net increase to bugs on the planet), so two groups of two generate 2.3x the bugs total compared to a single solo player. HOWEVER

When you have multiple player groups - i.e., not everyone is within 75m of one another - patrol spawns are randomly picked between available player groups. If you break off solo to do solid snake shenanigans, you'll notice sometimes you just aren't really seeing patrols spawn. It's not because you're the Master Of Stealth, it's because those patrol spawns are getting dumped on your teammates. Likewise, sometimes their patrols get dumped on you. Being grouped up is safer (fewer patrols overall) and more consistent (no chance of suddenly getting 2-3x the patrols at once because they decided to all spawn on you). I'm not saying don't split up to get poo poo done, just be aware that patrols spawns will sometimes randomly focus on You In Particular and that's why.

TL;DR: Mostly don't sit around fighting on the edge of POIs. Either go in and clear it or go around. If you intend to spend time clearing the map, don't rush the primary objective first. Killing outposts is fine, even killing every single outpost is only a 17% increase in spawns. Be aware splitting up increases patrol spawns and sometimes the other group pays all the price for it. Don't spawn on the extract or hang around it unnecessarily until it's time to go.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 19, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Olesh posted:

Be aware splitting up increases spawns and sometimes the other group pays all the price for it.
Increases patrol spawns, specifically. Don't get any more breaches/dropships, and the extra patrols spawned will be pathing near the other group.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ah, so that's what the loading screen tip really means when it says the longer the mission goes the more enemies might appear.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

LazyMaybe posted:

Increases patrol spawns, specifically. Don't get any more breaches/dropships, and the extra patrols spawned will be pathing near the other group.

Yeah, edited that into the TLDR for clarity. I struggled with articulating the extra patrols pathing near the other group thing because it is random. Sometimes the patrols are distributed between all the groups, and everyone gets "fewer" patrols. Sometimes the patrols all spawn on the same group, and one "group" gets absolutely slammed. There's other poo poo related to splitting up, like intentionally triggering reinforcements somewhere away from an objective so the other group is safe from reinforcement calls that's really useful if you can coordinate it, but I was already kind of bordering on unhinged ranting and was trying to keep it remotely readable.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's the opposite. Once you kill at least half the medium/heavy nests, the number of patrols that spawns ramps up pretty fast for each additional one killed. And patrols move directly to where a player was standing when they spawned, so killing them all makes extraction much harder.

You can kill a few without affecting anything, so the "optimal" way to play is to only kill nests that are in the way of an objective.

I've found it simply puts the spawns on the map as patrols. You also want to leave before grinding down to the last 5-10 minutes on those missions or they start spawning a lot of stuff

IME the optimal way to extract on helldives is to split into teams of 2. Two players on the evac site, and two players 200m away from the evac site who purposely triggering the alarm before you call down the evac. This should make all the patrols run towards the alarm which is far faaaar away from your sample bag man. Your fighting retreat has lots of room to kite back to the pelican. So long as you maintain the alarm away from the pelican, you more or less draw all the spawns away from your evac site. Something to consider if you have a 4m evac :v:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

if youre off by yourself, is it beneficial to take potshots on patrols just to get their attention and maybe have them call in a dropship/bug hole? i would only do that if they werent near something important, but it seems like pulling that attention could be useful for the rest of my squad

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Turin Turambar posted:

Automatons + planets with bad visibility is a special kind of hell.

That being said it looks beautiful when the lasers are pouring out from a purple misty treeline

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if youre off by yourself, is it beneficial to take potshots on patrols just to get their attention and maybe have them call in a dropship/bug hole? i would only do that if they werent near something important, but it seems like pulling that attention could be useful for the rest of my squad

Yes, as long as you don't die its a net positive. So if you are done with skulking about and have a long walk back to the team most of the guys that spawn from the breach will either get killed by you as you retreat or lose LOS on you and wander off.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

I've found it simply puts the spawns on the map as patrols. You also want to leave before grinding down to the last 5-10 minutes on those missions or they start spawning a lot of stuff

The time elapsed has no effect on enemy spawns.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

causticBeet posted:

It’s kind of hard to say definitively because we don’t know enough (unless people did more research that I’m missing) about the rate increase you get for being near POIs, which clearing out nests will mitigate. Killing 50% of the nests has a one time increase, but this needs to be weighed against the dynamic POI heat increases to really evaluate it. Also I don’t think it ramps for each additional nest, just crossing that 50% threshold.

Anecdotally, I do not feel like I get punished in game for full clearing a map and it will often feel like it’s a quieter push to extract on a map where all the nearby spawners have been cleared. I think the system is a bit more complex in how it plays out than just being able to say “killing >50% of the spawners is bad and will always be a penalty to the players” because it just doesn’t feel like it works out that way.

people are treating one reddit post by a guy and his two friends as absolute truth for some reason. same for the youtube ps5 player "bug."

some things do seem right about the patrol spawning, like completing the primary drastically increasing spawns and being near the extraction zone. the "heat" from optional objectives and sub objectives doesnt seem to always be the case though. ive never had anything run into me during the upload data optional for example, ive had games with aligning the radar where after clearing an initial patrol none others spawn and path to us. same with the geological survey and sssd extract missions, have had nothing show up until i actually called in the things.

the ps5 player damage thing also seems to not actually be a thing thats consistent.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Molrok posted:

Current major order: go die for E-710 profits

Couldn't access those planets. :confused:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Part of the issue with describing any mechanics in this game is that you have to mentally add "...except when it bugs out". Like I've had extractions where the game forgets to spawn a single enemy and we just emote at each other until the pelican arrives.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kly posted:

people are treating one reddit post by a guy and his two friends as absolute truth for some reason. same for the youtube ps5 player "bug."
I can't speak to the testing for the patrol spawns, but the bile titan ps5 player client thing seems pretty airtight to me. Like, here it is getting shot directly in the face, it takes many many railgun shots. Then do the same thing with a ps5 player in the lobby(not as host), and the head explodes in 1-2 shots.
What's the counterargument? "It actually has a super secret left cheek weakpoint that I personally happen to always hit"?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Every time someone figures out the stealth and spawn mechanics well enough to disseminate a weird play style they're going to patch it out and you're better off just doing what you think is fun instead of chasing moving goalposts of optimality. They have an enemy faction controlling DM specifically so the game can react to the community's tactics. We're all so game literate we're trying to find the seams instead of just enjoying a unique storytelling experience.

I'm gonna keep wearing heavy armor and hitting every base I see and doing fighting retreats when it's time to move because that's my armyman space fantasy, and while it might not be optimal right now I'm not gonna have to relearn it every two weeks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Every time someone figures out the stealth and spawn mechanics well enough to disseminate a weird play style they're going to patch it out and you're better off just doing what you think is fun instead of chasing moving goalposts of optimality.
I've got bad news for you about what I think is fun

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

I can't speak to the testing for the patrol spawns, but the bile titan ps5 player client thing seems pretty airtight to me. Like, here it is getting shot directly in the face, it takes many many railgun shots. Then do the same thing with a ps5 player in the lobby(not as host), and the head explodes in 1-2 shots.
What's the counterargument? "It actually has a super secret left cheek weakpoint that I personally happen to always hit"?

i play mainly with all ps5 players and havent had that experience. ive also been in an all pc group where people were able to do it. i guess the counter argument would be its a buggy rear end game. maybe its fps related? i assume ps5 isnt getting like 120 fps or whatever but some pc playes are and maybe thats related? or server latency? or a dozen other little differences, i dont know.

Kly fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 19, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

They really need to make side objectives tied to medals and participation instead of xp and requisition at 7+.

It's kinda lame that a helldive that completes all the optionals moves the needle as much as an trivial that does the main objective and doesn't extract.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kly posted:

i play mainly with all ps5 players and havent had that experience. ive also been in an all pc group where people were able to do it. i guess the counter argument would be its a buggy rear end game. maybe its fps related? i assume ps5 isnt getting like 120 fps or whatever but some pc playes are and maybe thats related? or server latency? or a dozen other little differences, i dont know.

sounds like it's a bug that will only occur when a pc player is playing with a ps5 player, but will not consistently occur for everyone in that situation. unless there's some example of a PC player experiencing the issue without a ps5 player present?

given that for people who do experience the issue it seems to occur consistently, community knowledge of its existence doesn't seem like a bad thing

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

vyst posted:

I've been running the God of Thunder build for bugs and it's been a lot of fun.

Arc Thrower
Sickle
Guard Dog
Orbital Laser
Orbital Rail Cannon

This is me but I take Precision Orbital and 500kg along with Stun Grenades. Drop call-in in front of Titan/Charger, throw stun when they're in position. :discourse:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Baby T. Love posted:

This is me but I take Precision Orbital and 500kg along with Stun Grenades. Drop call-in in front of Titan/Charger, throw stun when they're in position. :discourse:

Stun grenades work on titans? Good to know!

This might seem silly, but do they work on tanks?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a way to manually log out on PS5 other than closing your game?

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Baby T. Love posted:

this is amazing information

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Stunlocking a Titan is also great to let the occasional Orbital Laser actually do its job instead of fruitlessly glassing the dirt 3 feet behind them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

scorcher is my new favorite weapon
https://imgur.com/a/camcchj

edit idk how to embed imgur videos

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't think enemy HP varies at all based on difficulty unless it's actually a different enemy type like bile spewers vs nursery spewers.

I've done this again on a diff 9 anyways, it is a fair bit easier with stun grenades.

Spewer weakpoints don't have over 2000 HP, they just have the "massive weakpoint" trait which means they take 10% damage from normal bullets and 100% damage from explosives.

Which is why impact grenades/grenade launcher/autocannon all delete them, and why scorcher kills them far faster than most primaries due to having the explosive tag.

I keep needing to remind myself "Grenades are NOT overpowered". Because impact grenades hype can then turn into throwing your last three impact grenades into the chest of three separate chainsaw robots, and still having to finish the job with your pistol. Sure it saved a lot of time, but you know what would have saved more time? If they died :argh:

Which is yet another reason I am constantly let down by frag grenades. "Yeah sure bring the grenade with barely half the damage in a game with enemies that can survive a direct impact explosion. It can one shot ME at least." *misses the splash kill on a walker by expecting +1 range to be useful* And they sure don't seem to kill any more hunters per explosion than basic/impact on bug hunts. Shorter fuse just means I can't throw it at my feet while running away and be sure to outrun the blast if I get slowed.

Xanasar posted:

I will take sand dunes over jungle planets any day.

The Creek is going to be even more hell for people convinced the new laser rifle is overpowered. Considering bots can shoot through leaves, while the sickle is defeated entirely by a small bush.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I just a strategem to exfiltrate samples mid match. Drop me down a light payload single launch sample rocket.

Or let me cash out rares for regulars, I'm fuckin' drowning in them.

I'm getting a little bored slumming in tier 4 blitz drops just grabbing (regular) samples and saving pubbies.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SplitSoul posted:

Couldn't access those planets. :confused:

we gotta fight through to them

either they made a mistake or they're intentionally challenging the community on this one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

Spewer weakpoints don't have over 2000 HP, they just have the "massive weakpoint" trait which means they take 10% damage from normal bullets and 100% damage from explosives.

i really don't understand why this is a thing

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

we gotta fight through to them

either they made a mistake or they're intentionally challenging the community on this one

I feel like it might be the latter though I wonder if 2 days is enough time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ninjewtsu posted:

Some weapons have explosive qualities

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ninjewtsu posted:

Same reason you can't just shoot tanks from the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath