Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, the MLB playoffs are a crap shoot so just getting there gives you a real chance to win. Baseball is random and the playoffs are short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, the MLB playoffs are a crap shoot so just getting there gives you a real chance to win. Baseball is random and the playoffs are short.

Or the season's too long. Seems like it usually comes down to who's healthiest in October.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the season is too long, then just get rid of the season all together.

Why bother with a regular season if you're going to shorten it to insignificance and let half the league in to the postseason anyway?

Just run a 30-team tournament starting in July or whatever.

There is no complaint about baseball I find dumber than "the season is too long"

live with fruit posted:

And the Dodgers losing in the NLDS the past two years to division rivals.
They already faced and defeated the Giants in the NLDS. Next up is the Rockies, to whom the Dodgers must lose in 5 to complete the cycle.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

If the season is too long, then just get rid of the season all together.

Why bother with a regular season if you're going to shorten it to insignificance and let half the league in to the postseason anyway?

Just run a 30-team tournament starting in July or whatever.

What difference does 162 games to 154 or 148 make?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if 162 is too long then how is 148 a significant improvement? You're cutting like 2 weeks off of a 26 week schedule, it's a reduction of less than 9% of games

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 19, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

if 162 is too long then how is 148 a significant improvement? You're cutting like 2 weeks off of a 26 week schedule

I bet players in the midst of 13 game/3 city stretches would gladly take two extra days off a month.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

if 162 is too long then how is 148 a significant improvement? You're cutting like 2 weeks off of a 26 week schedule, it a reduction of less than 9% of games

if the complaint about it being too long is injury-related, you probably aren't lopping two weeks off - you're keeping the season the same calendar-length and increasing the frequency with which teams get Mondays and/or Thursdays off. More rest days to help with injuries

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When the regular season finally gets shortened, it'll be because of the need to make room for even longer playoffs without pushing the World Series into December. Not because the billionaires give a poo poo about player injuries.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am skeptical that would have a significant impact on injury prevalence.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

When the regular season finally gets shortened, it'll be because of the need to make room for even longer playoffs without pushing the World Series into December. Not because the billionaires give a poo poo about player injuries.

I'm open to stretching the Wild Card series to five games and the LDS to seven.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

I am skeptical that would have a significant impact on injury prevalence.

I'm not sure either, but seeing your team have 15-20 day stretches without a rest day is brutal in any case.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm open to a 130 game regular season followed by intradivisional ladder playoffs. Every team makes the playoffs!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean sure, i'm not going to argue that more people don't think its a more pressing issue to society but that's not the question I asked.

I asked why being so tired that you fall asleep while driving and you killed people is better than being so drunk that you couldn't operate a vehicle and you killed people.

e: this isn't some hypothetical "is driving drunk better than driving tired???" this is a man who murdered people, it happened, its a thing.

Take it with a grain of salt or not but Mythbusters did an episode where they tested it and found it to be just as bad :shrug:

Like not just from a moral standpoint or whatever,t he impairment was extremely similar

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Teams already do load management during those stretches. The large majority of Dodgers starts in 2023 for example came on at least 5 days rest, and they still all got hurt.

Only four players appeared in 162 games last year. Only 33 players appeared in more than 154.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm open to a 130 game regular season followed by intradivisional ladder playoffs. Every team makes the playoffs!
Don't make me make the post...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

Take it with a grain of salt or not but Mythbusters did an episode where they tested it and found it to be just as bad :shrug:

Like not just from a moral standpoint or whatever,t he impairment was extremely similar

I'm well aware, there are also a number of published scientific studies suggesting it is similarly as dangerous as well. Don't drive if you're extremely tired folks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

You have to actively choose to drink.

It's really that simple.

Both are negligent, but one is recklessly and with intent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Don't make me make the post...

Don't you threaten me with a good time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://shop.wwe.com/en/c-14081?ab=%7Bwt-static_graphic%7D%7Bpt-HP%7D%7Bal-A_spot%7D%7Bct-MLB_Legacy_Titles%7D%7BShop_Now%7D

Custom MLB World Title belts

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

You have to actively choose to drink.

It's really that simple.

Both are negligent, but one is recklessly and with intent.

You actively decide to operate a vehicle while tired. If you get really tired while operating a vehicle you stop operating the vehicle.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What percentage of sleep related crashes happen either on the clock or with work related travel?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

You actively decide to operate a vehicle while tired. If you get really tired while operating a vehicle you stop operating the vehicle.

This is some incredible glass house tossing. You have never felt a little sleepy during a drive? If you have, you have immediately pulled the car over, regardless of location, to take a nap?

Nobody here is arguing that it's good and just to drive tired. It's bad and should be avoided. But there are morally mitigating circumstances. You think it's morally tantamount to drive home from a double shift at the hospital as it is to drive home after going out with the boys and doing shots all night

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Some of these look better than others. The Orioles one is pretty bad, it's just like "here's the logo" :effort:

nobody should support wwe with their money tho

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins one uses the correct logo, and that's pretty much the only good thing about it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

This is some incredible glass house tossing. You have never felt a little sleepy during a drive? If you have, you have immediately pulled the car over, regardless of location, to take a nap?

Nobody here is arguing that it's good and just to drive tired. It's bad and should be avoided. But there are morally mitigating circumstances. You think it's morally tantamount to drive home from a double shift at the hospital as it is to drive home after going out with the boys and doing shots all night

You are equating driving tired with driving so tired that you are liable to fall asleep at the wheel and kill someone. Obviously its not possible to quantify how tired you are at any given time, but if you believe there is even slightly a chance that you could fall asleep while operating a vehicle you are absolutely morally obligated not to put other people in danger because you don't want to inconvenience yourself to find another solution.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I have absolutely stayed the night somewhere because I recognized I was too tired so safely drive.

e: the solutions are even the same! call a friend, call an uber, whatever.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

please let the season start and kill these absolutely stupid derails

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't you threaten me with a good time

you asked for it....

The Bawfuls Program to Fix the Baseball Schedule

Regular Season changes:
  • Expand to 32 teams, 16 per league (I presume this is inevitable)
  • Abolish divisions
  • Each team plays seven (7) games (two series) against each of the 15 other teams in their league (105 games)
  • Each team plays four (4) games (home-and-home split series) against their 1 "natural interleague rival" as they do now (4 games)
  • Each team plays three (3) games (one series) against the other 15 teams in the other league (45 games)
  • Total of 154 regular season games (a familiar number that makes old men happy)

At the end of this quite balanced schedule, we crown National League and American League Pennant Winners. The team in each league with the best record wins The Pennant (restoration of storied baseball history, old heads will love it) and gets a trophy. You won the marathon, that's an achievement worth celebrating. There should be a player bonus pool for this too. The regular season officially Means Something, no matter what happens in October. This trophy has no impact on what comes next.

We also shaved a week off of the regular season, which we can use to expand the postseason into...

A 32-team Super Tournament culminating in the World Series!
  • The First Round is a double-header hosted by the higher seed, but the higher seed only has to win one game. End the regular season on a Friday and play these games on Sunday. Could the 112-loss A's knock out the 104-win Braves in a double header sweep? Unlikely, but what a story that would be if they did!
  • The Second Round (Sweet 16) is a Best-of-5 BUT the higher seed starts with 1 victory in the bank, AND hosts all 4 potential games, no off days no travel days. This is important for schedule compression.
  • The Third Round (Elite 8) is a regular DS-style Best-of-5 as we do now
  • The Fourth Round (Final Four) is a regular Best-of-7
  • Final Round: The World Series is a regular Best-of-7
  • Assume 1 day off between each round and for the usual travel days as we have now

Super Chaos First Round Day happens on a Sunday. This plays well with the chaos-double-header plan, as we'd get 16 simultaneous day games, then a handful of extra thrilling night-games where crazy upsets can happen. It would make for a very entertaining day of baseball.

This system gives us the biggest possible postseason tournament, while only expanding the maximum number of games a team plays in October by 3 over the current schedule. The early rounds of the tournament are stacked against lower seeds, but it's still baseball so we're guaranteed to get some fun upsets each year. Later rounds retain the long series we're familiar with and love about October. And any bottom-half team who survives the first two rounds (by winning 5 road games!) will have earned the right to a normal series the rest of the way.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

wait, you want to play essentially the same number of regular season games but expand the playoffs to... uh... a lot more??? games?

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Baseball is the right length, if guys are getting chewed up by it then increase rosters and add more players.

And bring back long extra innings games. Baseball games were not too long, work is too fuckin long.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The simplest solution to this problem is to cancel baseball forever. It would also drastically improve my mental health eight months out of the year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the fuckin truth

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Season should be 100 games. I won't be taking questions on this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

wait, you want to play essentially the same number of regular season games but expand the playoffs to... uh... a lot more??? games?
The most games a postseason team can play under the current system is 22. Under this system it'd be 25. Not a significant increase from an individual team perspective, but you get a LOT more postseason games for TV money and entertainment.

The least number of postseason games a team could play while winning the WS today is 11, under this system it'd be 14.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 19, 2024

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dingers are the best thing for your mental health

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
With Jackson Chourio making the Brewers that’s now 3 20-year-olds on opening day rosters and they’re all named Jackson

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
There should be a three week season and then 162 postseason games

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What If We Made The Whole Season Out of The Postseason??

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gerblederp posted:

Baseball is the right length, if guys are getting chewed up by it then increase rosters and add more players.

And bring back long extra innings games. Baseball games were not too long, work is too fuckin long.

I'm not sure putting a bunch of players who otherwise don't belong in the majors in the majors makes baseball better.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

elentar posted:

With Jackson Chourio making the Brewers that’s now 3 20-year-olds on opening day rosters and they’re all named Jackson

further to this so far as I can tell there’s 3 21-year-olds and 2 of them are named Jordan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/RotoWire/status/1770125774944670205

This is the first Buehler update in a while so this is good news (for us fans of pitching... maybe not for the rest of the NL West)