Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

giving me big 'list of people who support polanski' vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I am not sure if they are willfully taking his words in the wrong context or misunderstood them in the first place (possibly because of the emotions involved).

I’m pretty sure which it is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There's basically no way you can phrase that that would prevent some people from obvious bad faith misrepresentation.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

IRQ posted:

There's basically no way you can phrase that that would prevent some people from obvious bad faith misrepresentation.

True. But in this case you need to, and all you need to do is to take what he said, as he said it, while ignoring most of it. It's like if he had said 'I hate cats and dogs being abused by negligent owners. You have people taking on the responsibility to care for these animals and then in reality to them it doesn't matter whether they live happy or die suffering.' And then he's being attacked for saying 'I hate cats and dogs... it doesn't matter whether they live happy or die suffering.'

Which is why I'm unsure if it's knowingly twisting his words or just people turning their brains off halfway through due to their own heightened emotions.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 19, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People love to interpret things wrong so they can get offended. That's half the discourse on the Internet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It really doesn't matter which it is, either way they're refusing to engage with the actual statement.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think willful ignorance is a thing, but I also reckon people develop to just hear certain attitudes or words and then just react. It's a classic kneejerk response.

As much as anything else here, it's a situation that's informed by generational trauma and ongoing minority stress. That poo poo breaks brains. People hear a word, or feel a resemblance to a past difficulty, and they get triggered and spiral. So for some people it's not going to be about refusing to engage rationally, but rather an incapacity to engage rationally.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think that's meaningfully better

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

I am not sure if they are willfully taking his words in the wrong context or misunderstood them in the first place (possibly because of the emotions involved).

He said that he denounces others putting words in his Jewish mouth and using his Jewishness as a political tool in a violent conflict, not that he denounces being a Jew like everyone going after him is paraphrasing him as saying.

This particular letter is all about his use of the term "occupation", even though the UN uses that term as well. It is even more bizarre than the previous attacks.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/jonathan-glazer-oscar-speech-zone-of-interest-open-letter-1235944880/ posted:

The use of words like “occupation” to describe an indigenous Jewish people defending a homeland that dates back thousands of years, and has been recognized as a state by the United Nations, distorts history.

It gives credence to the modern blood libel that fuels a growing anti-Jewish hatred around the world, in the United States, and in Hollywood. The current climate of growing antisemitism only underscores the need for the Jewish State of Israel, a place which will always take us in, as no state did during the Holocaust depicted in Mr. Glazer’s film.”

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Bizarre in one sense maybe but it's exactly what I would expect. Those are the same talking points you hear again and again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aren't there other sets of people with similar claims to the land going back thousands of years? I remember much fighting over the area in the Old Testament

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every single person alive today is sitting on ground that was taken violently by one group or another in the past, most often many, many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tIdCsMufIY

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

I don't think that's meaningfully better

I'm not saying it is, but I think it shifts the tactics of approach.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SimonChris posted:

This particular letter is all about his use of the term "occupation", even though the UN uses that term as well. It is even more bizarre than the previous attacks.

Eagerly awaiting these people signing their homes over to whatever indigenous tribes traditionally lived on that land

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Episodes 3 and 4 of Quiet on Set are rough. Important watching, but hard to watch, and should be skipped if Content Warnings for Sexual Assault are a thing for you.

Hearing all the people who wrote letters in support of Brian Peck really pissed me off and confused me, so I had to look some up. This isn't an excuse, but it provides a little context at least. According to Rider Strong, they were told a very different story about what Peck was being charged with.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/drake-bell-calls-out-rider-strong-will-friedle-for-brian-peck-support/

quote:

According to Strong, he wasn’t aware of the charges brought against Peck at the time.

“He didn’t say that nothing had happened. So by the time we heard about this case and knew anything about it, it was always in the context of, ‘I did this thing, I am guilty. I am going to take whatever punishment the government determines, but I’m a victim of jailbait. There was this hot guy! I just did this thing and he’s underage.’ And we bought that story line,” Strong said during the February episode. “I never heard about the other things because, back then, you couldn’t Google to find out what people were being charged with. So in retrospect, he was making a plea deal and admitting one thing — which is all he admitted to us — but it looks like he was being charged with a series of crimes, which we did not know.”

So, if what Strong is saying is true (grain of salt), apparently Peck was telling his friends and colleagues he slept with "this hot guy" and then found out after the fact that he was underage. Which is just a wild lie. And Will Friedle seemed to regret being in the court room immediately, or so he says.

quote:

“We’re sitting in that courtroom on the wrong side of everything … The victim’s mother turned and said, ‘Look at all the famous people you brought with you. And it doesn’t change what you did to my kid,’” he recalled. “I just sat there wanting to die. It was like, ‘What the hell am I doing here?’ It was horrifying all the way around.”

Friedle added: “We weren’t told the whole story, but it doesn’t change the fact that we did it. I still can’t get the words out to describe all of the things that I’m feeling inside of myself.”

The article also points out, however, that both Stroong and Friedle turned down appearing on the documentary, only to then talk about it on their own podcast.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Super late to Twisted Metal. I don’t remember a show that I’d find so off-putting in the first 15 minutes only to turn around by the end of the first episode and blast through as many eps as I could in one sitting.

Mackey’s character is initially super annoying, as he’s just jabbering to himself, but once they put him up against Arnett and Beatriz, it kinda clicks into place. The whole setting feels weird initially, and it’s a brave choice to open with a man getting his groin machine gunned, but then again, they don’t really dwell too much on the what and why and instead fall back on the kinda skewed reality they’re using as a backdrop and it starts working.

The show feels like something out of the Fallout universe and it’d be hilarious if it out-Fallouts Fallout next month.

I’m three episodes in and I think I’ll be done with it by tomorrow, unless it turns to spectacular poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Naw it's a fun ride! Doesn't overstay it's welcome, I actually look forward to the next season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc
Trailer for the next Star Wars tv series. This is the one set outside all the previous movies/shows and stars Amandla Stenberg and Lee Jung-jae

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Someone please decipher the shape of the nacelles or the starsabre handles or whatever the gently caress and tell me if this is set before or after Vader dies please thank

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Someone please decipher the shape of the nacelles or the starsabre handles or whatever the gently caress and tell me if this is set before or after Vader dies please thank

The space tea leaves say before he's born.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mokotow posted:

Over 100 years before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's gotta be way more than that, the Sith have "been extinct for thousands of years" per the prequels. Perhaps they were around and the Jedi just didn't know it, but they'd know it if a whole bunch of Jedi started getting killed off by a red lightsaber guy

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm just glad they're not using Volume for this thing.

Plus Headland's actually a great director / showrunner, who's been involved with a lot of cool things. Started out on Terriers, worked on Russian Doll, Heathers and Single Drunk Female. She's cool. Hopefully she pulls something good out of this.

zoux posted:

It's gotta be way more than that, the Sith have "been extinct for thousands of years" per the prequels. Perhaps they were around and the Jedi just didn't know it, but they'd know it if a whole bunch of Jedi started getting killed off by a red lightsaber guy

Sith are marketable, if you don't include marketable things then the executive suite will get scared.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Variety says it's 100 years, so I guess Yoda was just on vacation during that time. "See it, I do not."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Couple possibilities. One, not everyone with a red lightsaber is a Sith. Two, Jedi Long Head who said that in The Phantom Menace was an idiot, and an example of how the Jedi were ignoring what was right in front of them for a while now. The Jedi of the Prequels were dumb, and the point of those stories were that they were killed off by their own hubris and lack of ability to use the Force and see what needed to be seen.

But it is set 100 years before The Phantom Menace.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Every single person alive today is sitting on ground that was taken violently by one group or another in the past, most often many, many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tIdCsMufIY

Is this an unironic matt bors comic post. Could it be?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

thrawn527 posted:

Couple possibilities. One, not everyone with a red lightsaber is a Sith. Two, Jedi Long Head who said that in The Phantom Menace was an idiot, and an example of how the Jedi were ignoring what was right in front of them for a while now. The Jedi of the Prequels were dumb, and the point of those stories were that they were killed off by their own hubris and lack of ability to use the Force and see what needed to be seen.

But it is set 100 years before The Phantom Menace.

Specifically it’s set in the tail end of the High Republic era, the era they’ve been exploring in books and comics for several years now. It’s the Jedi and the Republic at their absolute heights of power and influence while still setting the stage for their downfall via arrogance.

I’ve been enjoying the books and at least one of the characters in that Acolyte trailer is a book character getting their live-action debut: Vernestra Rwoh.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc
Trailer for the next Star Wars tv series. This is the one set outside all the previous movies/shows and stars Amandla Stenberg and Lee Jung-jae

This could be a pretty fine story but everything in this trailer from the effects to the music screams low rent to me. And I don't mean that it looks like it took little money to produce just that corners were cut and things taken as "good enough" and I expect that may bleed into the show proper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's pretty much all Star Wars live action shows outside of Andor

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Just finished 'Quiet on Set', really heartbreaking to see what was going on behind the scenes of all these shows we grew up with. From what I remember there were even rumours of Schneider getting spears pregnant and it being covered up right, but there are no sexual allegations in the doc just inappropriateness.

I feel bad for Drake, despite of the abuse allegations against himself he's clearly had a really hard time and I hope he's genuinely looking to work on himself. He just released this new song based on his life which is really sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5gh8rAVLkI&t=260s

I've noticed Josh hasn't made any response to the doc and his latest instagram post is flooded with thousands of people giving him hate. Its a tough situation, I can understand why Drake and Josh fell out, there clearly would be a load of mixed feelings about their time on the show, it would be cool if they could use this time to forgive each other for what happened.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The Neverending Story’ Getting New Film Series Adaptation From ‘Slow Horses’ Banner See-Saw

Slow Horses, you say?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Artax! Stop thinking of ants!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/RufusTSuperfly/status/1770062662795231712

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Girls On The Bus is a weirdo. It's such a throwback to 90s/00s network character dramas, with a lot of actors pulled from various Greg Berlanti shows as you'd probably expect. (Tala Ashe!)

It also wants to be a political drama that doesn't want to offend, so everything's a bit broad, quite light, fairly brainless, very liberal and all the candidates are versions of real candidates but are so allegorical they don't have names. The show hasn't quite reckoned with quite how unlikable the cast are, a lot of them are openly grasping and score points with unconvincing burns. Reviews indicate that the cast become more likable (and the show basically shifts genre almost completely) by about mid season, so I'll stick with it, but mostly because it seems like a chill drama than anything else.

Oh and for some reason the main character (Melissa Benoist) talks to the ghost of Hunter Thompson.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those of you wondering what Michael Keaton might look like as Beetlejuice can stop wondering:
https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1770451849344106642

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really liked Girls5Eva season 3 but lmao that the biggest issue with the first two seasons was that they were too short and then this one is even shorter. Gimme more of that shiiiiiit

The Regime is kinda mid despite some good performances. And grateful for the Palm Royale reviews that have stopped me from wasting my time on something I was hoping would be decent. Looking forward to checking out 3 Body Problem tomorrow tho

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've heard basically zero good things about 3 Body Problem

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

And grateful for the Palm Royale reviews that have stopped me from wasting my time on something I was hoping would be decent. Looking forward to checking out 3 Body Problem tomorrow tho

Bad news...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

I've heard a bunch of people praising it, but I remain suss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arist posted:

Nearly all the critical reviews I've seen have been positive.