Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jessica Hynes (Human Nature, The End Of Time, BF's Invaders From Mars) is a great actress, but she's loving awesome and completely unrecognisable in this week's Dick Turpin. Really fun seeing her turn up as a hammy sexy troll witch, with ridiculous make-up. Cunk's just turned up too.

It's a fun show, worth checking out if you're looking for something Who-y but in a more silly mode.

I shouold listen to Invaders from Mars again, I remember it being very silly but a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I shouold listen to Invaders from Mars again, I remember it being very silly but a lot of fun.

It's so wild, easiest the weirdest thing Mark Gattis has ever touched. The gags with the accents and performances and the sound effects are so tilted, and a ridiculously overqualified cast, incl. Simon Pegg and an uncredited Katy Manning cameo.

It basically plays like Doctor Who taking a visit to Batman The Animated Series version of Gotham City.

That entire run is excellent.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 17, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I was going to say "I'm surprised Big Finish never adapted Gatis' Nightshade" but a quick google reveals that of course they did, just not in the main range. Might have to give that one a listen.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jessica Hynes (Human Nature, The End Of Time, BF's Invaders From Mars) is a great actress, but she's loving awesome and completely unrecognisable in this week's Dick Turpin. Really fun seeing her turn up as a hammy sexy troll witch, with ridiculous make-up. Cunk's just turned up too.

It's a fun show, worth checking out if you're looking for something Who-y but in a more silly mode.

I have always loved Jessica Hynes' work (and have always had a massive crush on her too) so I'll definitely give that a go

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Order of the Daleks is one of those 'daleks being sneaky with limited resources' stories, with the Sixth Doctor finding a few survivors having embedded themselves within a monastery. There's shades of the lost story "The Elite" here, with the Daleks reshaping a society for thier own ends (there's a dalek made out of stained glass), but the atmosphere doesn't really complement the story: an isolated monastery should have chanting, creaking doors, empty stone corridors, and there's not really that.

Oddly, they make a big deal of the planet not having had first contact yet (complete with comedy bureacrat side character), but the monks are referred to as 'human' repeatedly. The story uses Christian monk imagery (so that we have a frame of reference as an audience), but they have some vague plant based drug trip thing instead. Honestly, if the monks had been a bit more clearly defined, it would have improved the story, but it's Colin Baker and the Daleks, always fun together.

Aquitaine is great - the Fifth Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa arrive on a research station where time is out of joint, scattering the scientists up and down in time. We also have Hargreaves, a really charming robot butler. To say too much is to give it away, but this is a clever one. Davison, Sutton and Fielding really are a great TARDIS team.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 17, 2024

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

OldMemes posted:

Aquatine is great

I think you meant to post this in the Adult Swim thread.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jodie was on a special GBBO this weekend. For the promotional material they were letting her have it

https://twitter.com/BritishBakeOff/status/1769449099613667558?s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The retro music guy on YouTube has done the first in a (hopefully long) series of intakes (putting outtakes back into the episode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMg9NywBKI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

12: Never be cruel... well okay, maybe just this one time :laugh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/steven-moffat-returns-to-write-episode-for-new-season-of-doctor-who

HE'S BACK

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
:sickos:

oh hell yeah

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A Steven Moffat episode written under Rusty has never missed. I am so excited.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Please address River, please address River, please address River.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"Hello, River"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Please address River, please address River, please address River.

I actually sort of hope that he doesn't go back to any of his old wells. I'd prefer some tight, one-off episode that focuses on the Doctor's more human emotions and has a cool monster in it. Somebody else can take a stab at River or the Paternoster gang or whatnot.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I never want to see the Paternoster gang again. I rewatched the first Capaldi episode a few weeks back which reminded me of how irritating they were.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Vastra’s smugness is entirely unearned

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They never quite squared the circle on the part where she eats people.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I actually sort of hope that he doesn't go back to any of his old wells. I'd prefer some tight, one-off episode that focuses on the Doctor's more human emotions and has a cool monster in it. Somebody else can take a stab at River or the Paternoster gang or whatnot.

Please let it be something like this. We’ve gotten plenty of episodes featuring River and the Paternosters already. Do something new.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We haven't actually had that many episodes with the Paternoster gang, but what we have had is far more than enough.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I just hope we get the Moffat who nailed the balance between wit, whimsy, horror and high concept. I am slightly fearful his time as showrunner and then his time away from Who may have mutated his approach and pushed it further from what I saw as his strengths in writing the show.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

"What can I tell you? There was begging, there was pleading but finally Russell agreed to let me have another go - so long as I got out of his garden."

Lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

A Steven Moffat episode written under Rusty has never missed. I am so excited.

:hellyeah: this rocks. Still sad we never got RTD writing under Moffat as showrunner, but this is a winning combination :woop:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What needs to be addressed about River? Seems like her story is wrapped up and they got to spend 24 years just chilling, pretty happy ending all things considered.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

What needs to be addressed about River? Seems like her story is wrapped up and they got to spend 24 years just chilling, pretty happy ending all things considered.

She's a British citizen but has never paid taxes. Imprisoning her at Stormcage wasn't cheap you know!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah, she has the American spirit and it expresses itself through denying the king his pennies.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As much as I love River, Husbands is the best conclusion she could have had I think.

Also, Husbands was a fantastic episode.

"Finally. It's my turn."

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga6CwyKvr8

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 20, 2024

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Yours is the right position, and mine the wrong, but dammit, he's The Doctor and I want him to save her from living in a computer. :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll live in the computer, if it's a take a penny leave a penny kinda situation.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SirSamVimes posted:

As much as I love River, Husbands is the best conclusion she could have had I think.

Also, Husbands was a fantastic episode.

"Finally. It's my turn."

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga6CwyKvr8

The crime was that Capaldi and Kingston only had that one episode. Putting River on the shelf after the Smith Era was probably the correct decision, but goddamn Twelve and River had chemistry.
e: :doh:

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 20, 2024

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For a second there, your typo had me all hype for a Thirteen episode I'd somehow missed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

howe_sam posted:

The crime was that Capaldi and Kingston only had that one episode. Putting River on the shelf after the Smith Era was probably the correct decision, but goddamn Thirteen and River had chemistry.

We only had that one because when Moffat said he was probably done with River, RTD told him it would be a crime to not do an episode with Capaldi and Kingston. He was right.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
You can always imagine her way out of it. Who's going to stop you? Put a new story in your head; that's where the Doctor lives. I like my solution and the Doctor agrees with me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LividLiquid posted:

For a second there, your typo had me all hype for a Thirteen episode I'd somehow missed.

For some reason as I was typing I had the "No sir, all Thirteen!" line from Day of the Doctor running through my head and welp.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

River meeting 15: <gasp> “oh, you’re new! And looking fabulous! Clearly I was a good influence at some point…”

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked the Paternosters. Well, I liked Strax.

For all his flaws as a person and a show producer, Steven Moffat has written the best episode of a given series more often than he hasn't since 2005, even if you factor in series he didn't write for. Even then, his short story about 13 confronting the Umpty-Ums was better than most of the Chibnall era. So I'm stoked!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I absolutely love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

"Hello, sweetie."

Also a huge fan of,"I'm an archeologist from the future... I dug you up."

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I liked the Paternosters. Well, I liked Strax.

For all his flaws as a person and a show producer, Steven Moffat has written the best episode of a given series more often than he hasn't since 2005, even if you factor in series he didn't write for. Even then, his short story about 13 confronting the Umpty-Ums was better than most of the Chibnall era. So I'm stoked!

Strax is a one joke character but it's such a good joke that I'm OK with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Giggle novel is about as surreal as you can get with a novel written by the Toymaker - you get to poke through the president of the US's brain, Kate Lethbridge-Stewart does the Eyes emoji, and there's an entire CYOA section with the corridors... :allears:

quote:

Down came planets and stars and comets. The planets bounced and then fell still. Some shattered like baubles. Some rolled away never to be seen again. Not a bad representation of the Flux - a celestial hurricane that had devasted half this miserable universe.

I'm glad the novels can have that kind of fun - we even get a little scene of the Fourth Doctor picking up little Kate because her father was busy saving the world