Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shiroc posted:

I wonder if Asanoyama could have made yokozuna during the weak period if he hadn't gotten his dumb rear end sent to horny jail for a year.

Probably, but he would be putting up constant 10-5 records at Yokozuna I think.

Of all the candidates, I think Kirishima would be the next Yokozuna, but I think he's gotta work on his mental game. Same thing with Hoshoryu. Takakeisho is just gassed due to injuries imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I'd like to request a trade of Terunofuji for Hoshoryu, or whoever if that doesn't pan out. I'd trade some of my other guys if it wasn't just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I think next tournament I'll make all of my picks and then go back and pick a completely different roster.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

captainblastum posted:

I'd like to request a trade of Terunofuji for Hoshoryu, or whoever if that doesn't pan out. I'd trade some of my other guys if it wasn't just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I think next tournament I'll make all of my picks and then go back and pick a completely different roster.

May I interest you in the cult of "random" number generated rosters? Can't be any worse than my roster picks!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Might affect some of the Juryo picks, Shirokuma has withdrawn:
https://hochi.news/articles/20240317-OHT1T51064.html?page=1

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Forced to be a PNG Tuber by the Ban Algorithm: The MidnightSumo Story.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope Kirishima can bounce back from this basho. I really like him and don't want him to join the ranks of the weak ozeki.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
shodai

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Day 8 Hats off to Takerufuji in only his ninth pro basho, this next week will show just how good he is but what a performance already.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1769600224799137918
Little Big Salt, Terutsuyoshi has retired.
I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement with his wife and their adorable zoo of animals.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So I'm sick at home watching live sumo. I live in China, where sumo coverage isn't really a thing (I'm using a veep :ssh:) and holy hell, live sumo owns. Just big dudes slamming into each other for our entertainment.

When is the next tourney?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bashos typically start on the second Sunday of every odd numbered month, though the January and July ones sometimes start on the first Sunday. So the next one will be starting on the second Sunday in May.

They last 15 days, so there’s still six days of sumo left in this one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okuteru posted:

When is the next tourney?

... just when you start to forget about Sumo :)

It's really the perfect amount of a sport. Two weeks of intense sumo to build a storyline and get your blood flowing, then two months of comedown and controversy until it almost escapes your memory and then BAM it's time for another tournament.

When Natto was on YouTube me and a friend would do simul-watches on Discord every morning using synctube. Now we still simul-watch but we just do a 3-2-1 countdown to press play and inevitably someone is like a second ahead or behind.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 9:
Shishi :(
Daiamami :)
Tamawashi :)
Ura :)
Hoshoryu :(

Looking forward to Hoshoryu / Wakamotoharu and Onosato / Takerufuji tonight!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Day 9:

Takerufuji and Onosato are actually holding their own against the sanyaku folks, which is pretty impressive.

Hopefully Takerufuji doesn't have some lingering injury that'll cause him to drop straight to division 3 after an impressive showing, like Hakuoho. I would still put my money on Kotonowaka or Takakeisho to get the actual yusho. I think Kotonowaka was one of the few people that Onosato couldn't bulldoze last tournament. I'm still waiting for someone to henka him.

Speaking of Hakuoho, I haven't been able to watch every day of the juryo tournament, but I'm sorta surprised to see him struggling there. Day nine and he's just about even. Looks like even if he gets a KK he'll probably be in juryo for at least one more tournament.

WTK otoh looks on track to take that cup, and hopefully be back in makuuchi in May. Easy pick for 11+ division IMO.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 18, 2024

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bentai posted:

I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement with his wife and their adorable zoo of animals.

I was wondering what happened to him. Too bad, he was fun to watch.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

I believe he does qualify to stay on in sumo if he wishes. I hope he does I want to see more of the short kings being a success in the sport.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

I believe he does qualify to stay on in sumo if he wishes. I hope he does I want to see more of the short kings being a success in the sport.

Since the link goes to the official bio on the JSA site, he's probably out since they would have had to get the ducks lined up on a Kabu at time of retirement.

If it was like a newspaper report saying he intends to retire at the end of the tournament or something, that would give some time to work things out, but I'm guessing the JSA wouldn't post he's retired without the paperwork being finalized.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I was wondering what happened to him. Too bad, he was fun to watch.

Poorly-treated diabetes happened. He admitted in early 2023 that it was impacting his wrestling, but he didn't get it controlled and tried to fight through it instead, and just kept on losing muscle mass (and matches) all year. He looks positively skinny these days compared to his peak, which is not great for a thruster.

(For contrast, Terunofuji also has diabetes, but got it under control during that year he took off for his knee surgeries.)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nishikigi pulled a fast one on Hoshouryu and even he had to just laugh about it.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

net work error posted:

Nishikigi pulled a fast one on Hoshouryu and even he had to just laugh about it.

That was Midorifuji, but agreed that it was good. He's been really impressive recently, despite the overall 'mediocre' results. His match against Kirishima last tournament was great.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Midorifuji is very much like Tobizaru in that both absolutely are a legit threat to anyone else on the dohyo regardless of rank, but as yet they lack the consistency to truly back it up. Takerufuji is continuing to impress and the way he ran over Abi last night was just downright impressive.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Onosato is really really strong.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Fearless posted:

Midorifuji is very much like Tobizaru in that both absolutely are a legit threat to anyone else on the dohyo regardless of rank, but as yet they lack the consistency to truly back it up. Takerufuji is continuing to impress and the way he ran over Abi last night was just downright impressive.

The explosion immediately to get inside was genuinely a shock, I knew he was fast but I didn't realize he was That Fast.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

Onosato is really really strong.

Densha Sumo is the best sumo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bessantj posted:

he qualifies but taichiai said that when they don't give kabu info in these situations that usually means they're not remaining in sumo.

speaking of qualifications to remain in sumo....

https://x.com/tachiai_blog/status/1769904963851780370?s=20

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/03/19/kiji/20240319s00005000162000c.html
Tobizaru kyujo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress! And gently caress you extra, Takakeisho, you massive piece of poo poo. :mad:

e: I found another article that said he was hit with a bout of gastroenteritis, that he had a fever and the runs, but that a COVID test was negative. He should be able to return on day 11.

ee: still gently caress Takakeisho, though, my irrational hatred of him has not waned

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 19, 2024

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nativity In Black posted:

That was Midorifuji, but agreed that it was good. He's been really impressive recently, despite the overall 'mediocre' results. His match against Kirishima last tournament was great.

Bad mistake on my part. My apologies to Midorifuji and all who have him in their stable!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1769893251212079315

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think you'll find that's Midorifuji vs Hokuseiho from last year

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Why does the largest wrestler not simply eat the other wrestler?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It's considered to be bad form.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Natto bringing us important :siren: diarrhea updates :siren:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Hahaha wow, big dude is barely 19 years old but someone needs to teach him some things, meanwhile little dude is 5cm shorter than Enho, has been at it for almost 15 years in Shikihide stable, same on Hattorizakura was in.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Still amazed that Ura is able to get that low for a leg pick off a tachi-ai

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Takerufuji vs Kotonowaka tomorrow. I'd say that the winner of that probably takes the cup. Most of the rest of the ozeki are out of contention, with Kirishima looking like he'll be kadoban in May. Hoshoryu and Takakeisho will probably get their 8, but i think Kotonowaka is looking better to pull off the tournament win.

Edit:

Rags to Liches posted:

Still amazed that Ura is able to get that low for a leg pick off a tachi-ai

I was surprised the kimarite was oshidashi. I guess it makes sense, but usually when Ura does something weird you end up with a kimarite that no one has heard of since WW2

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2024

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shout out to the one dude in the audience on day 10 rocking a Korn shirt.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Day 10 Hoshoryu vs Wakamotoharu - that's the quickest, cleanest uwatenage I think I've seen, practically a henka

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Day 10 Hoshoryu vs Wakamotoharu - that's the quickest, cleanest uwatenage I think I've seen, practically a henka

"Nothing personal, kid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
JME's streaming stuff is now live, here's the direct link for NHK World Premium:

https://www.jme.tv/details/LIVE_CHANNEL/item/1921/nhk-world-premium or https://www.jme.tv/playback/item/1921

Apparently you get and extra 30 free days if you sign up now, or you can be like me and sign up too early without knowing about that promotion (technically you can't, unless you've got a time machine)

Surprisingly, I do see a menu for alternate audio tracks, though the current options are "Japanese" and "Japanese (Descriptive)", whatever that means. We'll see what the options are when Sumo starts in just about 2 and a half hours.