Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

DancingShade posted:

You know I was looking up something out of ignorant curiosity.

https://www.africom.mil/about-the-command#:~:text=U.S.%20Africa%20Command%20is%20located,in%20Stuttgart%2DM%C3%B6hringen%2C%20Germany.

"U.S. Africa Command, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany"

:allears:

Brb enlisting in the Afrika Korps of Amerika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade posted:

You know I was looking up something out of ignorant curiosity.

https://www.africom.mil/about-the-command#:~:text=U.S.%20Africa%20Command%20is%20located,in%20Stuttgart%2DM%C3%B6hringen%2C%20Germany.

"U.S. Africa Command, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany"

:allears:

Not quite on the nose enough, change it to US Congo Command headquartered in Brussels

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

sullat posted:

Well yeah, but presumably there's a difference between a torpedo going off under the hull and a missile impacting above the waterline.

Id choose to eat the missile 100% of the time.

D-Pad posted:

Saw a video of f15 fighter pilots scrambling to respond to a Russian fighter in whatever area they were in. It showed them running out of the building they were in, getting into a van, and being sped over to the hangars their planes were in. Overall it was a pretty quick process but I got a really good laugh at the top comment pointing out that the mission timeline lies in the hands of a 2018 Ford Transit.

That vehicle is a load bearing part of the military, and unironically more valuable than most war machines.

Ted Wassanasong has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Mar 19, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/abubunni/status/1769824006901825748?t=Gcw5Zgs30GLC2MfDGUvO7A&s=19

All the cope is driving people insane

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

computer, how much of America is uninhabited

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I had a feeling in the back of my mind that "actually nuclear war is a good idea and we'll win" would be the real world war 3 move for a declining nuclear power

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i saw this same tweet immediately this afternoon after not opening twitter in a couple days

probably gonna be another couple until i try again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Israel Taiwan and Ukraine flags is some perverse trifecta

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

holy poo poo, lol, i remember people making fun of "duck and cover" for being laughably optimistic and now we're at loving "walk it off"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

But the princes, putting the words of their wise men to naught, thought each to himself: If I but strike quickly enough, and in secret, I shall destroy these others in their sleep, and there will be none to fight back; the earth shall be mine.
Such was the folly of princes, and there followed the Flame Deluge.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
my nuclear hot take: nuclear war bad

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i'm not saying our hair wouldn't get mussed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

holy poo poo, lol, i remember people making fun of "duck and cover" for being laughably optimistic and now we're at loving "walk it off"

if the warheads even work

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Technically a bunch of people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki walked it off. Initially.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nuclear weapons- famously not that big of a deal

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

I had a feeling in the back of my mind that "actually nuclear war is a good idea and we'll win" would be the real world war 3 move for a declining nuclear power

Now you know why the fallout video games emphasise how fun and whacky a nuclear holocaust is. We have a population who can't wait to get front row seats for the selfies and lols.

It's unthinkable people would have been so gung ho about this a few decades ago.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

these people should be subjected to the clockwork orange treatment of a double feature of threads and the day after. if they aren't cured by that powers of ten shot of steve guttenberg in the gymnasium respice ward then there's no helping them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

these people should be subjected to the clockwork orange treatment of a double feature of threads and the day after. if they aren't cured by that powers of ten shot of steve guttenberg in the gymnasium respice ward then there's no helping them

They're literally dumber and less empathetic than Ronald Reagan

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some sort of ultra combo when you come in with the israel, taiwan flag combo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

This plus 6 months with no internet or mobile phone working on a rural farm, no machinery, no electricity, for anyone who backslides afterwards. We'll call it therapeutic rehabilitation.

Because that's the best case outcome for any survivors. So they better loving like it if they want to support it.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

one icbm can carry like 10 MIRVs and so can have a yield of multiple megatons

the idea that nuclear war is anything but a world ender is so unfathomably ludicrous

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

one icbm can carry like 10 MIRVs and so can have a yield of multiple megatons

the idea that nuclear war is anything but a world ender is so unfathomably ludicrous

look we're going to get our skirt blown up but we'll walk it off

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I have estimates from papers of about 5 billion from a full exchange, the vast majority from starvation. Some of this may be helped if more centralized government institutes emergency measures and mass build green houses, but the cities are getting destroyed and the radiation really isn't the main issue. There was a time when there was a push to assure that the dust cloud wouldn't be so bad, but it is.

Otherwise, the southern hemisphere would do modestly better, still experience widespread starvation.

-------------

There is an interesting case to be made that specifically Moscow might make it out better than many would think. Part of the ABM treaty was that each side could build 2 localized ABM systems, the US never built theirs (proposed to be in Dakota but SSBNs turned out to be more important), while the ABM system around Moscow was put into operation. It was recently modernized with better missiles.

The interesting thing about the Moscow system is that it is the only system that is allowed to actually put nukes on its missiles, it is "hitting a bullet" with a tactical nuke, with 68 active interceptors (plus about 18 inactive). I guess the question is if 1. it works, and 2. if the US would actually try to saturate Moscow's defenses with much of its first strike while the Russians are more practical with their targets.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
1 x low yield, quantity 250 :coal:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

twelve hundred bombs each between five and twenty times the size of the hiroshima bomb falling on cities and critical infrastructure all across the us in a matter of minutes to an hour

this guy:

"actually theres no such thing as an unsolvable problem"

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Nobody really knows what will happen when a modern weapon impacts a modern warship. Design since the 60's has been largely speculative based on what might happen when an unarmored, but tightly compartmentalized, ship is hit by few missiles rather than many shells. The Falklands was pretty shocking, but when British damage control worked and was able to put those compartments to use, not as bad as the worst fears of the missile age.

I remember the dogfucker brigade being incredibly insistent that American carriers are so fundamentally hard to sink that the US navy "tried to for months and didn't manage it and had to scuttle it.

They genuinely interpreted a series of small scale tests to get a sense of the effectiveness of various weapons as an all out attempt to sink one, carried out with the full might of the US navy brought to bear.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Mar 20, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Have you considered a small tactical nuke can make London apartmentsflats alot more affordable?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

The Oldest Man posted:

if the warheads even work

But enough about the American nuclear arsenal.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you considered a small tactical nuke can make London apartments alot more affordable?

sounds like the available supply of habitable units just went way down. time to raise rents

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you considered a small tactical nuke can make London apartmentsflats alot more affordable?

Yeah but it's still in Britain.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

twelve hundred bombs each between five and twenty times the size of the hiroshima bomb falling on cities and critical infrastructure all across the us in a matter of minutes to an hour

this guy:

"actually theres no such thing as an unsolvable problem"

I like that even his ludicrously optimistic scenario is merely that everyone else starves, not us

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

I like that even his ludicrously optimistic scenario is merely that everyone else starves, not us

well the us has achieved perfect national autarky so im sure thats some brown person's problem not ours :smug:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol I am terrified that covid 100% broke people's brains, especially people in charge, in how they think about these risks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol I am terrified that covid 100% broke people's brains, especially people in charge, in how they think about these risks.

well we know a million people is acceptable losses for political expedience now

what about ten million? a hundred million?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Covid was literally worse than battlefield chemical weapons, and probably most actual biological weapons, so they just need to turn up the dial on the consent machine.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

well we know a million people is acceptable losses for political expedience now

what about ten million? a hundred million?

vaxxed?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Something that I think is critical to understand is that while tankies consider many American wars to be defeats, this is a fringe opinion.

Both the majority of people, as well as all decision makes consider:
-Vietnam to have been an American victory
-Korea to have been an American victory
-Iraq to have been an American victory
-Afghanistan to have been an American victory
-Ukraine to be an American victory

There is no risk if history proves you never lose!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Something that I think is critical to understand is that while tankies consider many American wars to be defeats, this is a fringe opinion.

Both the majority of people, as well as all decision makes consider:
-Vietnam to have been an American victory
-Korea to have been an American victory
-Iraq to have been an American victory
-Afghanistan to have been an American victory
-Ukraine to be an American victory

There is no risk if history proves you never lose!

losers study vietnam, winners study grenada

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I remember being in a pub the night before local lockdown and it was all everyone talked about. Never saw a general population so terrified. The Stand even came up. Then the whole thing was just a wet fart in the scheme of things.

Safe to say some lasting effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know Hollywood don't make movie of other wars, just keep making WW2 movies. You get a WW1 once in a while and some special force stories in modern setting.