Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, XFCE seems pretty darn dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i guess the reasoning behind using css/js in gnome is so that it can be rendered in a web browser?

that's... neat, but i can't imagine many people actually using that functionality? seems like it'd be very slow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
like, i know there was a broadway backend that allowed you to use it in a web browser, but the last time i tried it (a few years ago) it didn't work well and was so slow that it wasn't really usable

i'm sure they've made some progress on the performance front (if only because devices are faster now), but still. seems misguided

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://deckard.malizor.org/

hmm

doesn't run well on an ipad air 5. lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i guess the reasoning behind using css/js in gnome is so that it can be rendered in a web browser?

that's... neat, but i can't imagine many people actually using that functionality? seems like it'd be very slow

i will not defend gnome but i will at this point pretty much blanket defend trying to lean into the work done for web stuff when it comes to specifying and rendering stuff for humans to see.

though i have also basically cycled around to "putting gecko everywhere would have been the correct move" in retrospect, as we're very much in the "any sufficiently complex ui contains a slow broken reimplementation of 70% of a browser engine".

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i will not defend gnome but i will at this point pretty much blanket defend trying to lean into the work done for web stuff when it comes to specifying and rendering stuff for humans to see.

though i have also basically cycled around to "putting gecko everywhere would have been the correct move" in retrospect, as we're very much in the "any sufficiently complex ui contains a slow broken reimplementation of 70% of a browser engine".

i don't think the html5 backend for broadway is a bad thing, in theory

in practice it doesn't seem to work very well, unless you're on a local network i guess? i'm currently re-installing clear on one of my samsungs (as mentioned, it ran out of space), and the installer image understandably doesn't come with gtk4-broadwayd, so i can't test it atm. getting up to get one laptop was enough of a hassle while i'm still recovering from back surgery

i also did try it via iSH, but i got an invalid instruction error (not surprising either), and i'm not gonna even bother trying to debug that, so

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ugh goddamnit

i installed it directly to a sd card (shows up as /dev/mmcblk1, the internal emmc ssd is /dev/mmcblk0) but it hangs on boot. works fine with an external reader though

:sigh: why can't they just make it easy

e: it hangs after bringing the cpu up. the next thing in the log on a normal boot is genirq initialization, so i'm assuming there's some kind of conflict there? idk enough about the linux boot process to know for sure. i have a feeling i'm going to be reading a lot about it pretty soon though

i'm also still not really sure why an external reader would work while the internal one doesn't, though. afaict it's also connected via usb (albeit internally), but i could be wrong. i don't think SPI is fast enough to even hit the max of UHS-I though, and i'm pretty sure it's not PCI-E ... so what else could it be?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 7, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i suppose i could have it boot from the internal ssd and then mount the sd card as extra storage, but i have absolutely no idea how to do that on clear. like, the debian and ubuntu installers allow you to set something like that up from the get-go, but the clear installer seems to require you install it to its own disk (there's an option to just install it to a partition, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to work. since i'm relatively sure i had my partitions set up correctly, i suspect it just doesn't)

ideally i'd like to use the internal ssd for at least home, and maybe keep the system directories on the sd card. idk. either way i don't know how to proceed really

i know there must be a way to do this manually but i don't know how. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

wtf, gnome uses CSS to render the goddamn cursor, too? why isn't it just a svg or some poo poo?!

hey it still beats using gtk

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

BobHoward posted:

git is literally based on merkle trees which are also a foundational technology in most "blockchains", hence kazinsal's joke

the correct way of looking at this is merkle trees were invented before either git or bitcoin, git is just an actually useful application of them, and they don't really have all that much in common other than using the same kind of data structure. this, of course, has not stopped coiners from trying to claim git as something related to cryptocurrency/blockchain in some handwavey way

yeah i got the joke, but you know how grifters are

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah, XFCE seems pretty darn dead.
is it less dead than enlightenment?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Progressive JPEG posted:

hey it still beats using gtk

gnome is gtk??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

is it less dead than enlightenment?

I hope both die tbh

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

just following news from the outside, I get the impression that lxqt is the most actively maintained project, if you need a low-resource DE and aren't interested in tiling

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
LXQT at least is going to have a Wayland release soon.

However, I must say I've been quite happy with Plasma everywhere.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://hachyderm.io/@sara/112117156883684126

quote:

10. THE CALL

Mark begins our call by saying: "I've read your essay responses. You say you didn't go to high school. Generally I only want people who are in the top 5%. You obviously can't prove that applies to you. So tell me why I should believe you were the equivalent to the top 5% of your peers at 16."

The next hour is spent picking through my educational background and early employment choices. To be clear, I’m an old lady: this is not recent history. He wanted to know what standardized exam I took to get into college and what I scored. He asked if I could "prove" that score. He wanted to know why I chose my major and school. He asked about a specific place I lived near >20 years ago, and I realize he’s looking at a map as we talk. We run over-time.

We never did talk about the actual work.

11. THE END

The day after that call I received a curt rejection email saying Canonical would not be moving forward with me as a candidate. I asked if there was any feedback, and I hear that the CEO call "could have gone better" and I "had not persuaded Mark that I had a strong understanding of what Canonical needs".

With their three months of assessment and notes on me, I ask what next steps would be if I wanted to explore other roles at the company. I never received a response.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol going through the astronaut candidate selection process (but with more sexism) to (not) get a job repackaging debian

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Makes me glad I only work with linux for fun, and not for profit.

On a related note: I just ended a streak of being linux free in my professional live for almost 20 years. Despite being helped along by 5 years of using solaris at work.
My new workplace has some programs that run in linux VDIs. The vdi runs centos 7 and kde 4. Nostalgic. And happy that I have absolutely nothing to do with admining.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
when does centos7 service come to a dead stop again? this summer?

mystes
May 31, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Makes me glad I only work with linux for fun, and not for profit.
Not making profits is what linux distributions are best at

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fresh_cheese posted:

when does centos7 service come to a dead stop again? this summer?

off the top of my head, it’s something like that

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Clark Nova posted:

lol going through the astronaut candidate selection process (but with more sexism) to (not) get a job repackaging debian

not repackaging debian! what makes this story extra hilarious is she was applying for a position titled Developer Relations Manager, but marky mark s. created an insanely overwrought hiring process designed to filter for super high achiever STEM people (using highly questionable methodology) and apparently refuses to deviate from it even when hiring positions which are more about people skills than l33t coding chops

(and still, it sounded like to any sane person, she should have passed the technical skills bar, but lmao he insists she must be able to prove she was top among her peers starting from age 16 onwards or NO HIRE)

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
What I love about elitist goobers like this is they're provably wrong. Google, a company that actually makes money, did research on this stuff years ago and found poo poo like academic performance only correlated to employee performance within like four years of someone's graduation. They also discovered that their 16-person interview process wasn't filtering candidates better than just having four people interview a person. This was like 10 years ago now. So not only are people like this wrong but out of touch.

Of course processes and standards like this aren't about hiring the right people.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Well Played Mauer posted:

What I love about elitist goobers like this is they're provably wrong. Google, a company that actually makes money, did research on this stuff years ago and found poo poo like academic performance only correlated to employee performance within like four years of someone's graduation. They also discovered that their 16-person interview process wasn't filtering candidates better than just having four people interview a person. This was like 10 years ago now. So not only are people like this wrong but out of touch.

Of course processes and standards like this aren't about hiring the right people.

clearly they learned nothing since they still do those stupid bullshit exams

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

cracking the code review is still a thing in 2024 unfortunately

cults gotta find cargo somewhere

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

tech companies also introduced those stupid riddles in interviews, and also were the first to realize that limiting your hiring pool to weirdos who fancied themselves The Real Life Riddler and fancied clever vs sensible solutions to problems was a bad idea. that didn't stop everyone else from starting to do that nonsense too, and they kept doing it long after the people who originally started doing it stopped, as an entire industry on bullshit had already spawned around it. in the 00s, people were reporting being asked about weighing 747s by dunking them in stadiums full of golf balls even for menial jobs

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

The_Franz posted:

tech companies also introduced those stupid riddles in interviews, and also were the first to realize that limiting your hiring pool to weirdos who fancied themselves The Real Life Riddler and fancied clever vs sensible solutions to problems was a bad idea. that didn't stop everyone else from starting to do that nonsense too, and they kept doing it long after the people who originally started doing it stopped, as an entire industry on bullshit had already spawned around it. in the 00s, people were reporting being asked about weighing 747s by dunking them in stadiums full of golf balls even for menial jobs

Yeah I had a place ask me weird logic questions like getting a fox, a chicken, and a lit torch across a lake in weird combinations. I can at least understand Fermi questions like "how many doctors are there in Chicago?" where the answer is more about the thought process, but asking someone a dumb question with a specific answer while they're on the spot doesn't reveal anything about how a person solves real world problems. That place went on to develop a terrible rep for how they treated their employees (surprise!) so bullet dodged, I guess.

Even at a place I ended up for a long time, they dropped the Fermi bullshit when one of the senior HMs had a woman say, "I dunno, that's what google is for," and he realized how stupid the process was, since that's objectively the best answer anyway.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

why are manhole covers round, m'lady?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A hiring practice that's just as bad is when companies only hire people for technical skills - it's one of the quickest ways to end up with a toxic workplace.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

code:
BY THE NUMBERS

Pages of essays written: 18
Psychometric evaluations: 3
Personality test: 1
Number of interviews: 10+
Days between first and last contact: 107
Number of women I spoke to throughout the entire loving process: 0
Emotional trauma: priceless
what a loving bunch of bullshit, good on her for sticking through all that crap and not losing her mind. seems like she really dodged a bullet even though it was her dream role

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

so, basically, to work at canonical, you had to have peaked at 17

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 19, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lmfao, when I graduated HS, I had a 1.9 GPA and was 430 out of 512 in my class. I have worked for Fortune 50 companies. Canonical asking about HS poo poo is incredibly dumb and a red flag the size of the moon.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't even remember anything about high school, this is so dumb

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yeah, being asked about poo poo from before I even started working is a red flag for me. I've been working in the industry long enough, there's plenty to talk about that isn't decades old…

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

probably cheaper to just hire 17 year olds

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, I don't have a university degree lmfao.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I do but I got it when I was 33 and well on my way in my computer touching career

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i dont even ask questions more technical than “tell me about your experiences with linux”

basically all my questions are trying to understand what motivates you and what you enjoy learning

“tell me your greatest achievement of the last 5 years across your entire life - not limiting yourself to school or work”

“pretend i hired you, and got you all set up with access to everything we have in all the labs world wide, then did not assign you any work. your job is literally to ‘do stuff then tell me about it if its cool’ and you get paid. what stuff would you choose to start working on?”

“tell me the difference between a software engineer and a computer scientist “

“do you prefer making your own stuff and watching people use it, or do you prefer using other peoples stuff and telling them its terrible and heres why and heres how to make it less terrible?”

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
in high school my primary focus was ultima online and I was exceptional at it hire me makers of worse flatpak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, as a teenager I was extremely good at jerking off and smoking weed.

it is right to be deeply suspicious of a south african entrepreneur who has novel ideas about quantifying the intrinsic worth of other human beings