Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I set my research to "very fast" because I want new technology faster dammit. 90% of my base is plastic and depleted uranium and we eat mushrooms sieved into a tasteless unrecognizable paste. The average colonist is 30% plasteel and 20% meat. Our base spits in the face of nature and that's the way we like it.

Come to think of it my recent game does seem to have more angry tribal factions than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Once you start adding mods then having faster research becomes a necessity. If you say wind up doubling the research tree you're going through it half as fast without increasing the rate.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
and that's good

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

With new research books i wonder if its gonna be baked in to include mod tech trees

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have like seven colonists that are over the age of 60 that I'm trying to get down to their 20s/30s so their spines and lungs stop falling out but my main issue is actually remembering to stick them back in the pod. Get back in there Grandpa :argh:

I have gotten one of them from mid 80s down to her early 60s so I'm making progress

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Flesh Forge posted:

and that's good

Look up the human resources mod

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If you want slower progress through the research tree, I recommend the semi-random research mod. The game plays completely differently if you cannot simply speed through the optimal path and it's IMHO far more interesting then simply researching slower. It's surprisingly customizable too.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1523058989

Here's a mod that makes a repackable prefab housing, along with a portable chemfuel-powered campfire-analogue. Mod maintainer just announced they're going to update it for 1.5 as well

This looks really neat; thanks!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

I have like seven colonists that are over the age of 60 that I'm trying to get down to their 20s/30s so their spines and lungs stop falling out but my main issue is actually remembering to stick them back in the pod. Get back in there Grandpa :argh:

I have gotten one of them from mid 80s down to her early 60s so I'm making progress

I find it's literally faster to get them the "always young" archogenes than it is to send them though the biosculptor 100 times to get them younger without using faster biosculpting mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asimo posted:

Once you start adding mods then having faster research becomes a necessity. If you say wind up doubling the research tree you're going through it half as fast without increasing the rate.

I slow mine down to about one fifth of normal speed, with mods.

Research goes much too fast for my liking in base game. It extends the period where you actually want to buy or steal good stuff rather than just manufacturing it.

Considering you can simply assign more than one pawn to do the work if you want it to go faster, I don't find it particularly onerous.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Research Reinvented Mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2868392160 does a great job of making research more interesting. Instead of sitting at the research bench, your researchers will do various things like bring materials to study/analyze, reverse engineer things, study buildings and structures (including off-site!), contact factions, interrogate prisoners, etc. You can also change how much influence each one has on how fast things go in mod options. You could make base level sit at bench research agonizingly slow, thus requiring you to get prisoners to interrogate, weapons/armor from raids to reverse engineer, etc.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah if you dedicate pawns to being full-time researchers there’s definitely an early phase where you are unlocking tech way faster than you can afford to craft/build it. It’s definitely a skill to learn when to spend pawn time on tech vs. spending it mining or making trade goods to buy the components that tech is going to need once you unlock it.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Danaru posted:

Faster Biosculpter Pod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2576257954

Despite the name, this mod lets you change pretty much all the settings associated with a biosculpter. If I'm gonna lose a pawn to the bioscultper for half an in-game year, then I don't feel too bad about changing the age reversal modifier to ten years instead of one year. Or make it so one year of age reversal is just 5 days in the pod. CHEAT THE WAY YOU WANNA CHEAT.

edit: lol I was way off for the base game settings. 8 days for 1 year of de-aging is much more reasonable. Still, I'd like it to go faster. :devil:

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 20, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
With 1.5 you can play book-only research! Except for basic mechtech since that one is apparently coded to not show up in books, but it's only like 500 research or something anyways.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I always find it funny that a campfire is drastically more fuel efficient at cooking than using a fueled stove.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SugarAddict posted:

I always find it funny that a campfire is drastically more fuel efficient at cooking than using a fueled stove.

Fueled stove is roughly 1 wood per simple meal, and the campfire is 10 wood per day (when not in rain or snow). You probably aren't saving fuel until you're cooking for five or more pawns, with the kicker that campfire cooking takes twice as long as a stove so get ready to have your chef stuck there all day when you're cooking in bulk. If I remember right the campfire doesn't allow fancier meal recipes either.

The real benefit of campfires is that it's also a light source and a heat source, making it great for one big room starter bases. I'll use them with pretty much every new colony, though I try to snag a vanometric cell from a quest as soon as possible regardless.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Asimo posted:

Not for me, last game I had (about 350 mods) it took 15 years to complete the tech tree because a massive tree + wild men start + ⅓ research speed is what I consider fun. It's a lot slower in the early stages but you'll eventually make up a lot of the difference because you'll end up with supremely skilled researchers and will have had way more opportunity to gather things like implants and genes to buff them, as well as almost certainly having mods that add better research benches or attachment buildings or the like.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you want slower progress through the research tree, I recommend the semi-random research mod. The game plays completely differently if you cannot simply speed through the optimal path and it's IMHO far more interesting then simply researching slower. It's surprisingly customizable too.

starting up a game anyway so I'll try this, thanks.

Telsa Cola posted:

Look up the human resources mod

this too
e: heck I'll see if Research Reinvented will shoe horn in there too w/e

SugarAddict posted:

I find it's literally faster to get them the "always young" archogenes than it is to send them though the biosculptor 100 times to get them younger without using faster biosculpting mods.

yeah this is another thing I like to tune, although I don't change the time it takes to run a cycle I have it rewind more years in one pass.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 20, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: Human Resources:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2119687603

This does look interesting but it isn't tagged for 1.5 and since it introduces a book system I am pretty sure it will need integration work. I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

See, how the hell do you people have colonies that function after 10+ years rather than grinding along at a peak of 100 ticks per second or something even with a modest modlist? If a colony lasts that long it should be fully teched out and cybered up (or equivalents thereof).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

what if you're not interested in the high tech stuff and you like the low tech game
e: Party Hard (get psylink levels through rituals) updated to 1.5 - I use this mod to have another alternative to the Anima tree, obviously if you metagame it you can make this mod extremely OP
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2555668702

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 20, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
any weird bugs crop up if you jump to the new version early?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

any weird bugs crop up if you jump to the new version early?
Depends what you mean? It's a beta right now so there's probably going to be some unpolished spots and bugs. Modded saves can probably be written off as done for but vanilla saves should port over just fine, and moving from the 1.5 beta to the expansion release should be relatively seamless.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

seems remarkably clean and loads noticeably faster for me, although probably that's just fewer mods/no VE clutter

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Asimo posted:

Depends what you mean? It's a beta right now so there's probably going to be some unpolished spots and bugs. Modded saves can probably be written off as done for but vanilla saves should port over just fine, and moving from the 1.5 beta to the expansion release should be relatively seamless.

I mean spooling up a new game with the new version has anyone noticed it loving up or doing weird things etc? How rough are the rough spots?

Flesh Forge posted:

seems remarkably clean and loads noticeably faster for me, although probably that's just fewer mods/no VE clutter

:hmmyes:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Research Reinvented is really good. It ties into practically everything by making it relevant to your research progress. I found myself trading more as well, to acquire items for reverse engineering. It makes research feel a lot more like someone is actually tinkering to figure stuff out and it provides you with little objectives during gameplay. Mechanically the mod is quite simple, but its impact on emergent gameplay is pretty huge.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love research reinvented. It doesn’t work right with every mod-added research but it works with most of them and it has a robust enough options menu that you can just disable it temporarily for a tech that isn’t playing well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I like it, it's pretty neat, thanks for suggesting it.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I added it too, sounds rad.

Kudos to this thread for generally killing it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

I want to second this. It's a whole different game when you are hoping for Machining and you keep getting tribal research options.

Reinvented is very good too. Together they are :kiss:

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Semi Random Research + Research Reinvented + Stepping Stones is my combo for tribal starts. It makes caravans actually important too, you can jumpstart research significantly if you can find stuff to reverse engineer!

Research Reinvented doesn't work great with Roads of the Rim though, those projects end up being really expensive and don't generate any branches, so it's pure bench research for like 2000 points.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Asimo posted:

See, how the hell do you people have colonies that function after 10+ years rather than grinding along at a peak of 100 ticks per second or something even with a modest modlist? If a colony lasts that long it should be fully teched out and cybered up (or equivalents thereof).

It did grind along at a horrifically slow speed on anything above 1x.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Big and Small gene mod is fantastic

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
rimworld remains the game with, imo, probably the most interesting range and depth of mods of any game i've ever played

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean spooling up a new game with the new version has anyone noticed it loving up or doing weird things etc? How rough are the rough spots?
Should be just fine really. Main problem with bug testing is not knowing what might pop up but vanilla rimworld is usually pretty solid.

Ms Adequate posted:

It did grind along at a horrifically slow speed on anything above 1x.
Okay yeah that sounds more like it. :v:

Flesh Forge posted:

That Big and Small gene mod is fantastic
Yeah. Alpha Genes, Big & Small Genes, and Outland Genetics basically cover just about everything you'd ever want in a xenotype. There's a bit of overlap between the packs since they're all trying to cover the basics on their own (stuff like fire resistance, <gender>-only, etc) but it's easy enough to ignore specific versions of a gene or cherry picker out the ones you find least balanced.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Aww Combat Extended isnt updated for 1.5 yet :( I really like that mod, though I think Im in the minority

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dandywalken posted:

Aww Combat Extended isnt updated for 1.5 yet :( I really like that mod, though I think Im in the minority

I typically dont play without it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i did notice that zooming all the way out causes all wild animals to go cyan and all colonists and pets to go white

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Experimenting with another way to slow down research: have everyone be dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for inventory or stockpile management mods? The specific use case I'm trying to fix up is how finicky using "Gear up and Go" is. I've got different outfits set up for casual vs combat but when I do get them to suit up they spend so much time hauling their casual clothes to the general stockpile from the armory instead of just stripping and dropping.

I'm unsure how to fix this as I could have an apparel stockpile nearby the armory for them to drop stuff into, but if it's the highest priority stockpile then it will just be filled up with the colony's regular apparel first. I almost need it to be a lower priority stockpile that pawns will use first if they're close enough to it.

I'd love some suggestions. Maybe I don't need a mod and I might be able to configure it right without it, I just don't know.