Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Appraisals are way more art and fuzzy logic than hard and fast rules. They have value because they are supposed to follow some general rules and not get too into the emotional aspects people usually do when you talk about a house you live in/want to live in, but there is nothing actually objectively correct about what an appraisal spits out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Appraisals exist only to convince the lender that the asset is worth what they are giving you for it, since they need something to take and sell if you default.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Thom ZombieForm posted:

The appraisal I ordered came back 40k above my offer, wow. I was a backup offer. It was claimed by my agent the prior offer’s appraisal from ~3-4 weeks ago was my current offer amount. Nothing makes sense

(taps thread title)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they used a separate email address to deal with real estate related communication. Is that something common or more of a precautionary thing?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I don't think I got any spam emails from my mortgage despite rate shopping with three different banks. You could always use 'plus addressing' and make a rule to bin emails sent to that address when youre done.

Shady mail that looks like genuine bank communication, now that I have in spades. Shoulda done the opt out thing linked a couple pages ago.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Re: appraisal... My first house appraised for 2500 less than offer and since it was a FHA/no down payment loan we had to come up with that difference. This house, the appraisal came back exactly what we offered, thought that was kind of strange honestly. But appraisals are like assholes,

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

net work error posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they used a separate email address to deal with real estate related communication. Is that something common or more of a precautionary thing?

I use a burner email and phone number for any speculative real estate stuff, namely mortgage things. If you're shopping for a new mortgage or refi you're gonna want to do this. When you've narrowed it down to 1-3 people you're willing to do business with you can give them youre real contact info.

The "lead selling" business is just insane. My last refi I put my info in bankrate.com and my (not real) email and phone number was pounded within 10 minutes. Low quality contacts mostly. I found the place I ended up refing with through them (I contacted THEM based on their offer on bankrate, not the other way around), but man.....if feels like wading through a sewer. Do not give them your real contact info.

CloFan posted:

Re: appraisal... My first house appraised for 2500 less than offer and since it was a FHA/no down payment loan we had to come up with that difference. This house, the appraisal came back exactly what we offered, thought that was kind of strange honestly. But appraisals are like assholes,

Why is that strange? The most accurate value for anything is what someone else is willing to pay for it. The appriasal is just to make sure that is a rational actor and/or not just scamming the bank to walk off with cash money from the sale in cahoots with the seller.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2024

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Eh, maybe that's the wrong word. Just felt like more of a rubber stamp based on our offer? The house is in a neighborhood where comps are decently higher than where we ended up. Oh well, doesn't matter, but it would have felt nice to have an appraisal higher than offer to feel like we 'got a good deal'. After 30 solid hours of deep cleaning I should have offered less! Disgusting PO lived in filth

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's not a rubber stamp unless your offer is rational. The comps show that it was, so congrats. That's how this works.

It's doesn't even mean the house your'e buying is worth that much. It means it's plausibly worth that much in general to package along with a bunch of other loans of similar risk as the underlying security. Don't take it too literally or specifically. An appriasal is NOT a valuation.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2024

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CloFan posted:

Our most recent was $1k less than our offer. Our agent called the appraiser and was like... Seriously. Next day a "typo" was fixed. Lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Think of it like when someone takes their tchotchke to Antiques Roadshow and gets an appraisal, and the appraiser gives them an "auction value" based on their experience of the same or similar items going recently at auction. But the item is unique, so sometimes they also give an "insurance value" that is always a lot more than the auction value. Why? Because the insurance value is to make you whole for a thing you value, but the auction value is what the highest bidder in a well-advertised auction might actually pay.

Well, when you buy a house, you're the highest bidder at an auction. If you bought an item at an auction and immediately went to an appraiser, they're going to say "oh I've just seen an auction value for this item, it's <what you just paid>, that's the auction value today."

The appraiser's job is to do like a sanity check. Did you just buy a beanie baby for $1000 but there are 18 nearly identical ones sold in the last week for $1.89 each? Well, that's enough grounds to suggest that while you might have valued your beanie baby at $1000, you're probably an insane outlier or there was something unique about this situation or something like that, so the bank that is backing your loan should probably expect your beanie baby that they foreclose on and seize and re-sell in six months to fetch a lot closer to that $1.89 than to your $1000.

Absent some compelling evidence that you're an idiot that massively overpaid, or that you somehow got a screaming deal that will not happen again, the correct appraisal value is exactly, to the dollar, what you paid.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Per our realtor and lawyer's recommendations, we moved the negotiations to the lawyers to get the seller's agent out of the picture. Our lawyer received the contract this evening and it was missing a Property Condition Disclosure Statement (PCDS). Apparently in New York it's an option to just waive it and you credit the buyers $500. A lot of realtors suggest doing this so the buyers can't use the report to get concessions.

All of this sounded insane to me, but in a rare case of good luck, a new law goes into effect on Wednesday that eliminates the waiver option entirely so our lawyer is going to ask for it tomorrow and they'll have to provide it. Hopefully we'll get some extra bargaining power out of this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Absent some compelling evidence that you're an idiot that massively overpaid, or that you somehow got a screaming deal that will not happen again, the correct appraisal value is exactly, to the dollar, what you paid.

This is probalby the most succint definition of a residential appriasal possible.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to keep in mind here is that care varies greatly, and can range from cooking meals and being someone to talk to all the way through literally wiping the person's rear end. End of life stuff in particular can get really harrowing.

I'm all for having elderly relatives live with someone who loves them. Both because it's nice for someone to be able to spend their final years around people who love them, and for the purely BFC reason of not wanting to give our horribly extractive senior care industry people's money. Not everyone can do it, but if you can it's wonderful.

But you really, REALLY need to go into it eyes wide open and know what you're getting into. And yeah, people say that when it gets bad that a home will happen, but sometimes it doesn't because people get emotional or stubborn or whatever. The rear end wiping example wasn't out of the blue - my mother in law never expected to have to do that for her mother in law, but that's what happened when she insisted on staying in her home, couldn't afford full time in-home nursing care, and became bed ridden.

I'm not trying to scare you off of it. It's wonderful if you can make it work. Just be really, really aware of what the realities are.
Sure but the other side of that coin is that if my mother in law ends up being stubborn about going to a home and needs in-home care we can't afford, I'd much rather be walking downstairs to wipe her rear end than drive across town to do it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

net work error posted:

The people I bought my house from set up a houseaddress@theirlastname.com. I thought that was an easy way to manage things, especially since everything had to go to two people.
I didn't bother with anything like that and google must have blocked whatever spam might have been sent since I didn't see any.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did a double take, had to check the date on this, but, uh, :toot:

https://apnews.com/article/epa-asbestos-cancer-brakes-biden-72b0fa8b36adedaff6000034d35c2acd

apnewswire posted:

EPA bans asbestos, a deadly carcinogen still in use decades after a partial ban was enacted

The Environmental Protection Agency on Monday announced a comprehensive ban on asbestos, a carcinogen that kills tens of thousands of Americans every year but is still used in some chlorine bleach, brake pads and other products.

The final rule marks a major expansion of EPA regulation under a landmark 2016 law that overhauled regulations governing tens of thousands of toxic chemicals in everyday products, from household cleaners to clothing and furniture.

The new rule would ban chrysotile asbestos, the only ongoing use of asbestos in the United States. The substance is found in products such as brake linings and gaskets and is used to manufacture chlorine bleach and sodium hydroxide, also known as caustic soda, including some that is used for water purification.

I guess there were only a handful of use cases left, none in the home or home construction materials, but I was a little surprised to see it still in active use anywhere

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Clearly you’ve never gone house hunting in Massachusetts :colbert:

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Clearly you’ve never gone house hunting in Massachusetts :colbert:

Yeah, this. As a child growing up in an old house, I was always told not to bump into the large tinfoil wrapped pipes in the basement because they were asbestos my father had encapsulated ( with two layers of extra duty tin foil and duct tape!)

House sold 4 years ago no problem. Far as I know they didn't remediate afterwards either.

Same house; full of knob and tube, lead pipes (drain) lead paint (everywhere), and probably radon in the basement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's in like 85%+ of all homes built before 1980, probably a higher number than that. There was some stupid rule that old stock asbestos could still be installed until some future date, . Looks like it was phased out starting in 71, 73, 75*, 77, then a phase out ban in '89**, mining ban in 02, additional ban in '16 and final(?) ban in 24? God, we're bad terrible at protecting our children from obvious dangers

*Insulation ban, seems like a big one
**Overturned in 91 by 5th circuit court of appeals

Tangentially, if you haven't seen it already, check out the black comedy "Thank you for Smoking" which is kind of a take at being the PR guy for a company like an asbestos mine, looks like it's free on Hulu

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Per our realtor and lawyer's recommendations, we moved the negotiations to the lawyers to get the seller's agent out of the picture. Our lawyer received the contract this evening and it was missing a Property Condition Disclosure Statement (PCDS). Apparently in New York it's an option to just waive it and you credit the buyers $500. A lot of realtors suggest doing this so the buyers can't use the report to get concessions.

All of this sounded insane to me, but in a rare case of good luck, a new law goes into effect on Wednesday that eliminates the waiver option entirely so our lawyer is going to ask for it tomorrow and they'll have to provide it. Hopefully we'll get some extra bargaining power out of this.

It was an option to waive without buyer's consent? Wild. Scumbag maneuvers, legally blessed

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Our most recent was $1k less than our offer. Our agent called the appraiser and was like... Seriously. Next day a "typo" was fixed. Lol

My wife is still salty about the appraisal on our place coming in $5k under what we offered (less than 1% difference) and that was three years ago now.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

IOwnCalculus posted:

My wife is still salty about the appraisal on our place coming in $5k under what we offered (less than 1% difference) and that was three years ago now.

Our appraisal came in $5k over offer, inexplicably. I'm more inclined to believe it was a typo than anything else.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Well, poo poo.

Termite inspection for the old house (that is currently listed on the market, and has an offer deadline in ~1 week) came back: "The garden room is leaking. Dry rot and dampwood termites are present. Damage is spreading to kitchen hardwood floors." The listed damage to kitchen floors is bullshit IMO. The floor is parquet directly on concrete. There was some damage to the floors in the kitchen next to the "garden room" before I even moved in, which never got worse that I observed. However, I have had issues with the garden room roof leaking, and I could believe that the adjacent kitchen might have related issues.

This was an inspection by Premier Termite Inc. Obviously, some kind of action needs to be taken here, but what? Get a second opinion? I'm worried that this could spiral badly: replacing the roof, tenting the house, etc.

EDIT: after panicking briefly, I asked my agent what his thoughts were, and he said basically "this inspection is for the buyers, not for you, I advise you do nothing". In other words, it gives the buyers some leverage to ask for a lower price and/or a reason to walk away, and that's the extent to which I should care.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 20, 2024

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I know SFBA real estate market is nuttery defined, but LOL at selling a house with an active termite infestation and just not giving a gently caress.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah I mean I'd say get rid of the termites and do some leak mitigation, even if you don't replace the subflooring I have to imagine that much would net you a pretty considerable ROI. I dunno if the market is just that nuts but of course your agent is going to say "gently caress it just list it for less LETS GO", he's trying to flip your place as quick as possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd be cautious listening to your realtor, houses aren't selling as fast as people would like nor at the price they want

We bought our bay area house for slightly under ask, but it has problems and had been relisted twice and they finally corrected all the problems and got an updated inspection report with all the problems fixed and made it move in ready

Location is going to make your decision highly dependent, and yeah your realtor just wants to sell it at any price; the guy with the lowest number of homes sold in the office each quarter gets laid off

$50,000 in repairs might sell your house for $100k higher

Does the inspection report say the floor plates are hosed

Lockback posted:

but of course your agent is going to say "gently caress it just list it for less LETS GO", he's trying to flip your place as quick as possible.

We really need the ability to have multiple thread titles

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Offer deadline is 6 days, we'll see what the market says. I certainly can't get remediation and a new inspection done in that time. If the offers aren't good, then I guess we take the house off the market, fix it up, re-inspect, then try again :smith:

Hadlock posted:

Does the inspection report say the floor plates are hosed

It says what I quoted earlier, "damage has spread to the floor". And to be clear, this is a parquet floor directly on the concrete slab, some of the boards in the kitchen were damaged when I moved in, they're still damaged now, it's not new and I'm not worried about it. It's the ceiling that would be the target of concern.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Please take care of your house. If nothing else, you’ll have pride and peace of mind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Frankly there’s nothing wrong with selling a house with known and disclosed defects. I, personally, would rather buy a house with damage and get a credit towards the repairs so that I know that the work done was of the quality that I would want and not the 30% cheaper fix the previous owner picked so they could check the box and get it to market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly there’s nothing wrong with selling a house with known and disclosed defects. I, personally, would rather buy a house with damage and get a credit towards the repairs so that I know that the work done was of the quality that I would want and not the 30% cheaper fix the previous owner picked so they could check the box and get it to market.

Yeah absolutely, but in this particular case I think, like, stopping the insects that are eating the house might be a worthwhile start. You don't need to neccessarily do full repairs but basic remediation I feel like would be worth it.

But who knows, the offers will be proof in the pudding. Wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised on what people offer up.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
OP you are going to get worthwhile offers on your house, people don’t care about this sort of thing, you’ll end up giving a credit on the sale and they’ll do halfass work and pass the buck to the next owner. Don’t stress about having to play this messed up game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yeah absolutely, but in this particular case I think, like, stopping the insects that are eating the house might be a worthwhile start. You don't need to neccessarily do full repairs but basic remediation I feel like would be worth it.

But who knows, the offers will be proof in the pudding. Wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised on what people offer up.

Again, as long as it's disclosed? Whatever. For all we know the buyer is going to level the lot and build a new structure.

If it's disclosed and everyone knows what they're getting and account for it in the offers, it doesn't matter.

Now that said, this is also why some sellers don't want to see the results of buyer inspections.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

illcendiary posted:

OP you are going to get worthwhile offers on your house, people don’t care about this sort of thing, you’ll end up giving a credit on the sale and they’ll do halfass work and pass the buck to the next owner. Don’t stress about having to play this messed up game.

There’s no way to win this game except by not playing it. In fact, I don’t think there’s any construction in the United States that isn’t garbage. Good houses are a thing of the past.

Unless you raze an existing one and construct your own, in which case congratulations, now there’s even more garbage construction and a new flimsy piece of poo poo!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nah, you can absolutely build a solid, well designed house.

It'll cost you a lot more and take a lot longer than you think/get quoted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lockback posted:

Nah, you can absolutely build a solid, well designed house.

I remember reading a post like this one from a young man named Grover

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the problem is that your well-built house won't be worth more on the market than a shittily-built one, because buyers do not have the power or tools or desire to seek out the superior quality trusses or hand-picked sill plates or bespoke foundation engineering

If you're building a house you intend for your great-grandkids to live in, OK, fair enough; if you intend to be able to extract value from your home to help fund your huge medical bills when you're 70, though, you're literally better off with the tract house built to the cheapest standard possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There’s no way to win this game except by not playing it. In fact, I don’t think there’s any construction in the United States that isn’t garbage. Good houses are a thing of the past.

Unless you raze an existing one and construct your own, in which case congratulations, now there’s even more garbage construction and a new flimsy piece of poo poo!

You are 100% wrong on this, and based on your own posts have no basis to know if this is true or not. This is reminiscent of your previous anxiety posting while house shopping.

Leperflesh posted:

the problem is that your well-built house won't be worth more on the market than a shittily-built one, because buyers do not have the power or tools or desire to seek out the superior quality trusses or hand-picked sill plates or bespoke foundation engineering

If you're building a house you intend for your great-grandkids to live in, OK, fair enough; if you intend to be able to extract value from your home to help fund your huge medical bills when you're 70, though, you're literally better off with the tract house built to the cheapest standard possible.

Unfortunately somewhat correct - it depends on the segment of the market you're in. The high end market is absolutely different than the "what's the lowest payment I can get for 4 bedrooms" market. But good houses absolutely exist and are being built today. In fact many of the oldest houses you're likely to see are still around because they were this. I live in one.

But it sounds like Polyanna is doing the survivorship bias thing or similar where "the don't build them like ther used to" which si bullshit because all the lovely ones were torn down or burnt down, that's why you don't see them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There is absolutely a long term value in saved maintenance from good construction. It's just unpredictable and difficult to quantify. You can't put a numeric price on the future value of all the times your pipes didn't leak.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

maybe I’m fooling myself but I feel like I’ve been able to ascertain the house quality a few minutes into the tour. and now I can spy with my eagle eye uneven shoddily painted cabinets and hastily updated bathrooms just from the pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mistermojo posted:

maybe I’m fooling myself but I feel like I’ve been able to ascertain the house quality a few minutes into the tour. and now I can spy with my eagle eye uneven shoddily painted cabinets and hastily updated bathrooms just from the pictures

These are indications of maintenance quality, but yes.....they often go together.