Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

babypolis posted:

playing demon souls at release was such an experience, games like that just didnt get made anymore. i played it sight unseen and it really did feel like you had stumbled upon something magical

yeah, people forget just how much of a wasteland of forced tutorial sections and quick time events the gaming landscape had become between like 2005-2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

galagazombie posted:

One could say it originally started as a tongue-in-cheek way to tell someone that a boss had no weak point to hit or that there wasn’t something you were “supposed” to be doing, you just had to fight. Remember this was back in like 2009, lots of people really did need to have it explained to them that “No, in this game you actually do have to just whack the boss with your sword till it dies, there’s no chandelier to drop on them or “damage phase” to wait for, you just have to learn the fight.”

babypolis posted:

playing demon souls at release was such an experience, games like that just didnt get made anymore. i played it sight unseen and it really did feel like you had stumbled upon something magical

IIRC the "git gud" thing started because back around when Demon's Souls started getting popular you'd have a lot of people coming into forums to rage about the difficulty and would not respond well to genuine advice "this is literally impossible, you're all lying, the whoever designed this boss should be shot" etc. so people just started trolling them.

It's also just the correct advice, there are some parts where there's no "trick" and you just have to play the game better. Which yeah, was actually weirdly rare outside of niche/indie games at the time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC the "git gud" thing started because back around when Demon's Souls started getting popular you'd have a lot of people coming into forums to rage about the difficulty and would not respond well to genuine advice "this is literally impossible, you're all lying, the whoever designed this boss should be shot" etc. so people just started trolling them.

It's also just the correct advice, there are some parts where there's no "trick" and you just have to play the game better. Which yeah, was actually weirdly rare outside of niche/indie games at the time.

It makes very little sense though because it's an easy game that requires patience more so then skill. I guess "get patient" wouldn't be as ego stroking by those who say it and would be useful advice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dsf posted:

God I remember playing games around 2008 and thinking "huh you know gaming isnt that fun anymore, maybe im finally starting to outgrow it" but with the stuff thats been coming out the last few years has finally settled that it was in fact the games were just that bad in that era

Video games as a medium has had a lot of ups and downs. There are periods of creative stagnation and periods of wild changes. And the lowest point in the history of video games so far has been the period between the end of the PS2 era and the indy explosion. Just shitpile after shitpile throttling any genre considered "marginal" and reducing everything to shades of brown.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
it was very easy to gently caress yourself with a bad build in deamon/dark souls. for instance i was trying to make a pure strength barbarian dude in ds1 and it was not intuitive that i would have to farm the sen's fortress snake people for their sword, which was the only viable pure strength weapon for a big chunk of the game. also iirc you could accidentally get into a situation where there was no useable pyromancer trainer npc, softlocking you out of being a pyromancer.

a lot of ds isn't about "gitting good" it's about reading the wiki. also the combat/rpg elements are samey and boring and were absolutely nothing special by 2009

the bonfire mechanic was innovative though and the art/setting is, of course, A++ top notch

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

MSPain posted:

a lot of ds isn't about "gitting good" it's about reading the wiki.

I dunno about this dude, I've played ER, DS, DS2, and am currently finishing up DS3, all of them blind, and done just fine. I have absolutely missed things (I missed all of the DS DLC because who the hell would think to do what you need to do to get there) and hosed up NPC quests but if you're not seeking to 100% the games then blind is completely playable.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I dunno about this dude, I've played ER, DS, DS2, and am currently finishing up DS3, all of them blind, and done just fine. I have absolutely missed things (I missed all of the DS DLC because who the hell would think to do what you need to do to get there) and hosed up NPC quests but if you're not seeking to 100% the games then blind is completely playable.

Wait, did you never go back and do the DS1 DLC ? You're missing out on some great fashion-souls action, and one of the best boss fights in that game. Also some cool areas.

Edit: Also, also the best shield in the game. If you're into that sort of thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MSPain posted:

it was very easy to gently caress yourself with a bad build in deamon/dark souls. for instance i was trying to make a pure strength barbarian dude in ds1 and it was not intuitive that i would have to farm the sen's fortress snake people for their sword, which was the only viable pure strength weapon for a big chunk of the game.

seems like putting 1000 levels into strength with no strength scaling weapon in your inventory is self evidently bad without needing to consult a wiki.

but still weapons do enough damage off upgrades alone that you'd be fine with that build even if you ended up using a weapon whose "optimal stat distribution" included more dexterity or whatever so it would do more damage in a different build

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

people beat souls games butt naked at level 1. you can beat it with a slightly-less-than-optimal weapon. free yourself from your attachment to worldly desires (big number) and embrace self-improvement

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Vakal posted:

yeah, people forget just how much of a wasteland of forced tutorial sections and quick time events the gaming landscape had become between like 2005-2010.

for me it was the fact that the game was filled with secrets but also perfectly willing to let the player get lost or gently caress themselves over somehow, that was amazing at a time where every game was a linear corridor shooter

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

itry posted:

Wait, did you never go back and do the DS1 DLC ? You're missing out on some great fashion-souls action, and one of the best boss fights in that game. Also some cool areas.

Edit: Also, also the best shield in the game. If you're into that sort of thing.

I haven't yet, but I'll tackle it after I finish DS3 and Sekiro

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
"git gud" is only a bad thing to say in the context of multiplayer games where everyone is a loser and victory is fleeting

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

It makes very little sense though because it's an easy game that requires patience more so then skill. I guess "get patient" wouldn't be as ego stroking by those who say it and would be useful advice.

Do you not consider patience a skill?

MSPain posted:

it was very easy to gently caress yourself with a bad build in deamon/dark souls. for instance i was trying to make a pure strength barbarian dude in ds1 and it was not intuitive that i would have to farm the sen's fortress snake people for their sword, which was the only viable pure strength weapon for a big chunk of the game. also iirc you could accidentally get into a situation where there was no useable pyromancer trainer npc, softlocking you out of being a pyromancer.

a lot of ds isn't about "gitting good" it's about reading the wiki. also the combat/rpg elements are samey and boring and were absolutely nothing special by 2009

the bonfire mechanic was innovative though and the art/setting is, of course, A++ top notch

Yeah no, "the snakeman sword is the only viable strength weapon for the first half of the game" is pure nonsense. Maybe it's optimal (that doesn't sound right) but there are dozens of weapons perfectly capable of clearing the game with you can access within like 2 hours. There are legit bad builds but they're so stupid you'd almost have to be doing them intentionally. Like pure res or something.

When I was in middle school I had a friend whose mom made him build his Ragnarok Online character with even points in every stat because it adhered to buddhist principles. So uh, I guess you could also gently caress up that way.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 19, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

When I was in middle school I had a friend whose mom made him build his Ragnarok Online character with even points in every stat because it adhered to buddhist principles. So uh, I guess you could also gently caress up that way.

Ah, the eightfold stat path.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The Moon Monster posted:

this is also why my created characters look like me except super buff and muscular

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

lmao

gonna make my kids throw themselves off a cliff three times after killing a boss because I respect the threefold law

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

"No, son/daughter, your level 1 wizard can only memorize sleep spells. The Wiccan Rede is paramount in this house"

kid: "Whatever, it's the only level 1 spell worth a poo poo anyway"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

"No, son/daughter, your level 1 wizard can only memorize sleep spells. The Wiccan Rede is paramount in this house"

kid: "Whatever, it's the only level 1 spell worth a poo poo anyway"

I legit knew a wiccan in FFXI who mained white mage but refused to sub black mage (generally considered the best choice) because black magic went against her beliefs lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duck and Cover posted:

It's easy once you've learnt how to play it, and have developed the skills and understanding to make it easy, once u have got, for want of a better word, 'good'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MSPain posted:

for instance i was trying to make a pure strength barbarian dude in ds1 and it was not intuitive that i would have to farm the sen's fortress snake people for their sword, which was the only viable pure strength weapon for a big chunk of the game.]

you can pick up a zweihander like 5 minutes into the game

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

babypolis posted:

I'm still weirdly salty that the way people talked about it made it seem like some obscure, twitchy character action game for hardcore gamers ONLY instead of a game where you could solve 99% of encounters by either using ranged attacks or just 2 seconds of thought, so I therefore didn't buy it despite being pretty good at character action games, because I was busy with life stuff at the time.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

you can pick up a zweihander like 5 minutes into the game

yeah what even the basic rear end club you can start with or buy from the undead berg merchant ends up being one of the best STR scaling weapons with a surprisingly good moveset

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The git gud crowd actually push people away from these bad games by being even worse posters.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

git gud (at posting)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good, enough people have played them to fuel an endless echo of diminishing repeated conversation losing coherence each time the bonfire is relit. Posting that emulates the stories of the games.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The git gud crowd actually push people away from these bad games by being even worse posters.

We're so sorry to not have you. It's devastating really

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of the unpopular videogame opinions thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think pervert characters who hit on everything that moves and are sexual harassment elementals are not funny regardless of the gender of the character.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

EightFlyingCars posted:

people beat souls games butt naked at level 1. you can beat it with a slightly-less-than-optimal weapon. free yourself from your attachment to worldly desires (big number) and embrace self-improvement

yeah they do this by playing hyper optimally and by knowing exactly what to pick up and when, wielding a heavily upgraded club way before you are supposed to reach that upgrade level, and they also know all the boss fights inside out.

that doesn't say anything about a new player's ability to pick up and piece together a workable set of equipment just from stuff that's lying around one way or the other. dark souls 1 and especially demons souls had a rather obtuse weapon upgrading system, and your gear is going to gate any reasonable ability to progress far more than your level will.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dark Souls presents this RPG system so that if you're not git gud, you can just grind until you don't have to be. Well I grinded but I never got git gud and my RPG power never seemed to get better, either.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
HOW IN THE gently caress ARE WE ON DARK SOULS AGAIN?

It's so funny. This thread cannot go more than 2 pages without Dark Souls chat. My wife and I laugh everytime you all veer back onto subject, like clockwork.

Clearly the franchise is amazing, 'cause all roads lead back to it.

Also Elden Ring is a perfect game and I won't hear otherwise.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Dark Souls RPG stats don't really matter that much, it's more about weapon upgrades. The only thing grinding will do is help you fix a completely broken build. Once you hit the soft cap in HP and have enough stats to weild your weapon of choice it's not getting much better from there.

Edit: It's god drat William Henry Hairytaint's fault he knows Dark Souls is like catnip to this thread and he keeps taunting us with it. Even I'm getting sick of Dark Souls.

What about Soul Reaver? That's a game with souls in it. It was a fun story and by the end you could tell Amy Hennig just wanted to write slash fiction of Raziel and Kain smooching.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 20, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Patience is a skill hth

E: gently caress, beaten. Also there's more than just patience, reaction timing (not just speed) is also really important. Being able to mix in alternative weapons and items was what made the pvp so good but a lot of those same skills worked great in the pve game too. A lot of the boss fights were about learning the rhythm of the encounter, patience is just 1 of the elements of that

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 20, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

Dark Souls RPG stats don't really matter that much, it's more about weapon upgrades. The only thing grinding will do is help you fix a completely broken build. Once you hit the soft cap in HP and have enough stats to weild your weapon of choice it's not getting much better from there.

Edit: It's god drat William Henry Hairytaint's fault he knows Dark Souls is like catnip to this thread and he keeps taunting us with it. Even I'm getting sick of Dark Souls.

What about Soul Reaver? That's a game with souls in it. It was a fun story and by the end you could tell Amy Hennig just wanted to write slash fiction of Raziel and Kain smooching.

Don't give up, beanpole

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah the alternate to "git gud" is "believe in yourself!" which is also very funny to me because they can't quite reply like they want to

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah the alternate to "git gud" is "believe in yourself!" which is also very funny to me because they can't quite reply like they want to

Hang in there, skeleton!

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
Unpopular opinion: "Git gud" is a catchphrase gamers use to deflect criticism of a game, and anyone who uses it unironically is not worth taking seriously.

Having said that, I liked Demon's Souls.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Unpopular opinion: "Git gud" is a catchphrase gamers use to deflect criticism of a game, and anyone who uses it unironically is not worth taking seriously.

Having said that, I liked Demon's Souls.

If someone says it in response to actual criticism, then sure, but it's usually in response to something like "wtf this boss is bullshit, no I will not switch to something other than spear and tower shield"

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Git gud just seems like a bit at this point. The game never even tells you to do that, it just emphasizes that persistence can be rewarding but also potentially futile, so just enjoy the struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nice Van My Man posted:

I really liked Defiance but other than that the only Legacy of Kain game I played was Soul Reaver and what I remember from that game is:

Cool jawless soul-vacuum
Moving between worlds to solve puzzles
Block puzzles
BLOCK PUZZLES
BLOCK loving PUZZLES
loving BLOCK loving PUZZLES