Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

What do hearts have going for them that the other suits don’t? First I’ve heard of this, I’m intrigued

I assume it's because Bloodstone gives a 1 in 3 chance to give a 2x multiplier.

The equivalent jokers for other suits aren't quite as strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bloodstone is such a game breaker.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Bloodstone is good but obviously unreliable since it’s 1:3, and also the xmult hits while card are scored, not after joker mult is calculated, so it’s not as game breaking as it looks at first.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Only had the spade-specific one, the arrowhead or whatever. That bloodstone does sound tight

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Oxyclean posted:

I assume it's because Bloodstone gives a 1 in 3 chance to give a 2x multiplier.

The equivalent jokers for other suits aren't quite as strong.

I need the all sixes joker to make that consistent, it always lets me down in the end.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
What's the best way to get my first win? I'm 8 hours in and haven't been past round 21. It's rare I get jokers good enough to get near winning, and one bad round wrecks me. The last game I had a boss blind with no discards and all my cards are terrible. According to Steam achievements, 75% of players have beaten the game so I'm obviously doing something seriously wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pisshead posted:

What's the best way to get my first win? I'm 8 hours in and haven't been past round 21. It's rare I get jokers good enough to get near winning, and one bad round wrecks me. The last game I had a boss blind with no discards and all my cards are terrible. According to Steam achievements, 75% of players have beaten the game so I'm obviously doing something seriously wrong.
For low rank wins you want +chips (like that +40 chips per remaining discard), +mult (like abstract joker), and at least one X mult card (like card sharp). You'll want +mult on the left side of your jokers and X mult on the right side. Stay at high interest most of the game (interest very important) tho ofc losing interest to buy econ jokers is good. Buy stuff that gives you bigger +chips and +mult and buy any of the strong Xmult cards you see. You dont have to worry about on-trigger builds like hack, bloodstone, etc at lower stakes because theyre harder to get started and cap way higher than you actually need.

In terms of what hand you play it will depend on your jokers but dont commit to anything harder to put together than a flush without lots of deck manipulation (and even flush wants some deck manipulation).

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

GigaPeon posted:

Too easy. I do that every time I lose to some bullshit.

waaay far back but yeah, if i get starved for jokers or if an absolutely phenomenal run suddenly dies to bad draws I put it down for days lol

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Bloodstone is good but obviously unreliable since it’s 1:3, and also the xmult hits while card are scored, not after joker mult is calculated, so it’s not as game breaking as it looks at first.

Yeah, Bloodstone requires the right kind of setup to excel and even with All Sixes can be devastatingly random. I've found that the one for diamonds that just gives $1 per diamond is amazing. It doesn't help your score but it's one of the best economic jokers. You can pretty easily get $8-10 from it per round with minimal effort, and if you've got stuff to retrigger the cards you play it can be stratospheric. And of course it also combos well with Bootstraps and/or the Bull.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If you can start with either the $10 deck or the deck that gives you higher income on hands and discards that's the best way to go.

The advice about Joker positioning is very good follow that if you aren't. It also applies to hand. glass cards go last so you want to add up all your plus multiplier cards then your true multiplied or glass cards and then your plus multiplier Jokers and your true multiplier Jokers
Otherwise you would need to post a run video to see what you might be doing wrong

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

In terms of what hand you play it will depend on your jokers but dont commit to anything harder to put together than a flush without lots of deck manipulation (and even flush wants some deck manipulation).

Don't be afraid to be flexible either, even if flush is your best hand sometimes it's better to just play a straight that you get dealt than it is to burn a bunch of discards chasing a flush.

Also, if you weren't already aware you can discard up to 5 cards at a time, and you can also play (and get rid of) 5 cards regardless of what hand you're playing. When you are trying to fish for a very specific hand you can just play 5 mismatched cards as a High Card hand and replace them with new ones.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Figuring out that, if you have a specific hand to play that will pass ante, hands are really just extra discards, is a game changer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m sad I’m at work and not making Number Go Up

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I’m sad I’m at work and not making Number Go Up

you're making number go up for your capitalist overlords

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think my favorite suit for flushes might be Spades, actually. Arrowhead is a very strong source of chips which are otherwise kinda rare, and black suit decks can more effectively make use of Blackboard, which can practically be just a free 3x mult.

Bloodstone, while really cool (especially with Oops! All 6s) has absolutely whiffed big time and cost me a run, so I'm a little shy about relying on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bloodstone plus the dice joker is fun times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Plasma deck's just the spite deck right? It just gives you all of the jokers that you'd want in anything but Plasma so you can get the ones you'd want for it when you get annoyed and switch?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TBH I don't like Plasma for basically that reason; it skews the game in such a way that makes a lot of stuff way more one dimensional. Look for chip jokers early, try to stack xmult late, lose if you can't.

To clarify I do think its absolutely a great deck, possibly one of the best, but I just find playing it so much more boring.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I don't really like Plasma deck, all you can do is stack chips from jokers, or xmult. On a normal run there's a lot of combinations of things that can wind up working, while plasma is solely concerned with stacking raw chips which is hard due to how few jokers actually do that, or xmult which is also generally fairly limited/non compatible with eachother.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
this works the way you would want it to

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugh I almost get to a basic win of Plasma and it throws Violet Vessel. At least I finally got the 400 buck achievement

e: Oh gently caress I sneaked it in lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 20, 2024

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Einwand posted:

I don't really like Plasma deck, all you can do is stack chips from jokers, or xmult. On a normal run there's a lot of combinations of things that can wind up working, while plasma is solely concerned with stacking raw chips which is hard due to how few jokers actually do that, or xmult which is also generally fairly limited/non compatible with eachother.

Yeah, but when it works well it works REALLY REALLY well

Though who knows, maybe a regular deck would have been just as good. Triboulet is pretty awesome.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally knocked off gold stake. I was definitely being pigheaded and bashing my head against the wall over and over with the hearts/spades deck, but dammit, it's just so easy to not make decisions and play flushes all the time!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh boy, a legendary Joker, I wonder which one will show u--

:thunk:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Arzaac posted:

I think my favorite suit for flushes might be Spades, actually. Arrowhead is a very strong source of chips which are otherwise kinda rare, and black suit decks can more effectively make use of Blackboard, which can practically be just a free 3x mult.

Bloodstone, while really cool (especially with Oops! All 6s) has absolutely whiffed big time and cost me a run, so I'm a little shy about relying on it.

One of my gold stake wins was a cloned Arrowhead. It was exceptionally strong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oh. Oh I see.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Onmi posted:

Oh. Oh I see.

:drat:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Where it ended:

Triple Caino, Mime, Baron, Brainstorm. I don't know if the position I had it in with Mime on the Far Left generated the most points.

MG5PIDVI

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Got my first gold stakes win with spectral deck! Ended up getting a bunch of eternals that synchronized well enough to get a high card deck powerful enough to just squeak out a win.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Picked it up last week, pretty obsessed. Best I've been able to do so far was ante 12, not even close to making a 300mil blind. Curious to work out some more interesting combos and strategies.

What allows stone cards to actually be good? Do they qualify for X of a kind hands with themselves?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Picked it up last week, pretty obsessed. Best I've been able to do so far was ante 12, not even close to making a 300mil blind. Curious to work out some more interesting combos and strategies.

What allows stone cards to actually be good? Do they qualify for X of a kind hands with themselves?

Stone cards always get scored even though they never count towards qualifying for any hand. If you play 2 + 2 + stone + stone + stone then you get a pair (not a full house) but all 3 stones count towards the hand score.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eschatos posted:

a.) They get scored no matter what hand you play so theyre free chips in high card which can be good.
b.) The +chips per stone joker is kind of stupidly designed for this reason but at the same time it can get massive.

The best reason to have a lot of stones in your deck tho is the joker that puts stones in your deck + hologram.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So what would 5 stones count as? Not even high card?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

High card IIRC, and you get 50 chips per stone as normal + whatever the base high card chips are (5 to start).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I feel like stone cards would work great on a high card build.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Ah ok I was wondering if there was some hidden null hand like the reverse of flush five and the like.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The stone tarot cards were decent on a Ride the Bus/Square Joker/High Card run I had, since I could use them to eliminate the face cards I would never want to play anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

Ah ok I was wondering if there was some hidden null hand like the reverse of flush five and the like.

I believe the stone enhancement does not wipe out the rank and suit of the card underneath it, because I swear I've had vampire take the stone off a card to reveal a normal card underneath.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 20, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It remembers the 'base card', yeah - it will also reappear if you apply another enhancement to the stone card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wilds are the same - they remember their original suit.