Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Girlfriend (25F) got mad at me (28M) for relieving myself outside (#2) in an emergency because something upset my stomach. Not sure what to do?

quote:

Last week, my girlfriend (of two years) and I were out enjoying some activities and food. On our way back, my gut started turning and had some intense stomach cramps. Like, that gut wrenching, profusely sweating and gasping for air cramps. I had to pull over quickly and find a discreet spot to avoid soiling myself.

This was the first time I've ever had to do something like that. When I got back to the car, my girlfriend seemed clearly upset or annoyed and didn’t say a word or ask how I was feeling. I was confused and asked her why. After some prodding since she wouldn’t answer, she said I could have held it, and we went back and forth on this for a bit before she said she didn't want to discuss it anymore. She was so upset with me from this that we ended the night, and she went home.

Fast forward when we met again the following weekend, I brought up the situation because I was honestly feeling a little hurt that she got upset over something I couldn't control, and felt I deserved an apology. She still insisted that I could have waited until we found a restroom and refused to believe me. I found it upsetting that she couldn't trust my word about the urgency of the situation. At this point it’s not even about the situation, more the fact she won’t believe me.

We argued about it for hours, with me trying to explain why her reaction seemed unreasonable to me. She kept saying she didn't want to talk about it and eventually wanted to go home. The only apology I got was a half-hearted "I'm sorry you're upset that I don't believe you," which didn't feel genuine, and I stated so. After more back and forth of the same conversation, she left without even hugging me. We haven't spoken in over 48 hours now. I don't even know if were together at this point.

Throughout our two-year relationship, we've had good communication and absolutely nothing remotely close to this has ever occurred, but this incident has left me questioning things and extremely confused. Is it worth breaking up over? It just feels insane that this is what breaks us.

TLDR: Ate something that upset my stomach, and on the way back with my girlfriend, I had to pull over urgently. She got upset and doesn't believe I could not have held it. No real apology, and now no contact for 48 hours. Not sure what to do or how to feel.

Could have been worse, I guess. She could have been way too into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

liquidypoo posted:

Girlfriend (25F) got mad at me (28M) for relieving myself outside (#2) in an emergency because something upset my stomach. Not sure what to do?

Could have been worse, I guess. She could have been way too into it

He should feed her some Dulcolax on the sly during a road trip to see how she likes it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
poisoning her seems extreme/illegal

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for blowing up on my husband’s friend after her wife died?

here's a good stepdad story
AITA for calling out my stepdad's parents for how they talk about me and telling them they should be more honest around my mom and their son?

Am i missing something, coz idont ubderstand why step-grandparents have veef with the teenage girl who seems to both love and respect her step dad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Am i missing something, coz idont ubderstand why step-grandparents have veef with the teenage girl who seems to both love and respect her step dad.

She doesn’t treat him as her dad. Whether that bothers him or not doesn’t matter

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

trickybiscuits posted:

Our bakery manager at the time found a fancy French company that produced packages of frozen zest, but she was afraid the owners wouldn’t go for it. So she prepared two batches of lemon scones to compare the fresh zest with the frozen zest… except she didn’t. She actually used the frozen zest in both batches. The owners were amazed that they couldn’t taste the difference and agreed to switch to using the frozen zest. It saved us so much unpleasant physical labor, I think back so fondly on that manager’s actions.

There needs to be a 20-foot tall statue to this hero of labor.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mllaneza posted:

There needs to be a 20-foot tall statue to this hero of labor.
Goddamn right. I don't even work in baking and I want to salute this person.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

She doesn’t treat him as her dad. Whether that bothers him or not doesn’t matter

But she treats him with love and respect. He treats her with love and respect. What's the problem here?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

meh

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 20, 2024

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

But she treats him with love and respect. He treats her with love and respect. What's the problem here?

You ever see those stories where the step parent demands they be treated as a replacement parent? The grandparents are doing that by proxy. They want nothing less than that

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The child, whose feelings and opinions do not matter, is not treating their stepfather (who is THEIR child, so his feelings and opinions don't matter) with the correct exact form of respect that their elders demand.

Took me a while as a kid to figure out that what adults want from you is often utterly arbitrary and has no logic to it. They want it, they want it this exact way, and they could never explain to you the logic in it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ye olde "if you don't treat me like an authority i won't treat you like a person", I'd just assumed.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

liquidypoo posted:

:sever:

As an IBS sufferer, I empathize with his plight and she can gently caress right off. If she can't put up with his poo poo, he shouldn't have to put up with hers.

Wainwright
Jan 5, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Armpits, rear end in a top hat, crotch, and teeth.

Not quite as catchy as head, shoulders, knees, and toes ...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Wainwright posted:

Not quite as catchy as head, shoulders, knees, and toes ...

Or Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet and Watch

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

tits, pits, & bits

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not just grown-ups but grandparents. They're at least in their fifties and telling their adult church friends that this seventeen year old girl is the devil and she should be shamed if seen around town.
What gets me is the adult who decides to confront a friend’s teenage granddaughter, who they’ve never met, about their alleged bad behaviour. That’s disturbing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

What gets me is the adult who decides to confront a friend’s teenage granddaughter, who they’ve never met, about their alleged bad behaviour. That’s disturbing.

It takes a village to raise a child :angel:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Halloween Jack posted:

If someone came up to me in public and started telling me how awful I was I'd probably call 911 to deal with the crazy person harassing people in public.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

rotinaj posted:

It takes a village to raise a child :angel:

You left out 'idiot' after village.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Friend (29F) Tried To Seduce Husband (33M) Then Asked Me To Serve HER Husband With Divorce Papers, Am I Right To Feel She's Up to No Good?

quote:

I have this casual friend (not deeply close or anything) that I knew for a few years. Before she dropped that she was getting a divorce, the weeks leading up to it she showed a lot of interest to my husband. Wanting to come over all the time and engaging with him more often and giving him sex eyes which was just weird. Then a week later she tells me shes getting a divorce (I NEVER actually met her husband which I always thought was a little strange). Then she asks ME if I could be so kind to help her by serving him the divorce papers. I told her no. I told her, I have kids and I can't do that I'm sorry. You can get the Sheriff or hire someone to do it. She seemed upset but let it go. Then a few weeks later, she comes back to me and asks me to sign off on her WILL as a witness and told me this shouldn't be a big deal and not as big of an ask as before. I of course told her no. And she was very sour and passive aggressive with me. But now I feel deeply uncomfortable and I'm unsure what her deal is? What is she up to? These are not really normal things to ask of casual friends that you've only known for a few years right?

She also has been pressuring to take my kids out with her to amusement parks and wanting to come over to my place more often. Finding ways to come over to my home. It just feels very icky and I feel like there is something I am missing. Shes trying to interwine me into her legal affairs and I just don't want any part of it. Especially when I noticed she was trying to make moves on my husband. I now feel insecure that there may be more at play and I'm just not seeing whats going on. I trust my husband but I don't know what is going on with my friend and this weird place she has put me in now. Please help with any insights how to navigate this.

"Hey, I know I'm after your husband and all but can you just give me your signature, oh and here's some divorce papers, you'll need to sign that they were served to my husband as well."

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Mordiceius posted:

Hella same.

But also, as someone with long hair - you don't wash it daily. A few times a week at most. Shower daily at minimum! And wash your rear end in a top hat!

The post is recent so there are a lot of new comments, many of them sharing the astonishing information that you do not need to get your hair wet every time you shower! Also commiserating that there are many women on reddit who ask what to do about their horribly filthy boyfriends but somehow the fact that their partner's smell makes their nose burn and their eyes water is not a dealbreaker. And an army medic said that soldiers who refuse to shower may be dragged into the shower and forcibly cleaned by medical professionals like a car being detailed, because hygeine is important for disease prevention.

I'm just fascinated by people who are too lazy to shower or brush their teeth. No depression, no sensory issues, just so unwilling to stand under water and rub themselves with soap that they will actually sit on the toilet for ten minutes while the shower runs and then wet their hair. I mean, THAT is lazy.

quote:

Dear Annie: My daughter is 8 years old and was recently diagnosed with autism. She was just diagnosed at age 7, but I have suspected she is autistic since about age 3 when she used to be severely speech-delayed. Over the years, I had suggested she was autistic to my husband several times, and his responses were things like, “She’s just a little bit behind” and ”She’s just stubborn and hot-headed like her daddy.” My concerns were always brushed off. However, he could no longer use those excuses when last year her classroom had to be evacuated due to her throwing furniture during one of her meltdowns.

Even during the evaluations, he seemed confident that she wouldn’t be diagnosed with autism, and when she was, he seemed to not take it well. Due to her growing in both age and strength, I have needed additional help with her. I am a stay-at-home mom of three, and when she has bad days, it has been increasingly difficult for me.

My husband has been working fewer hours lately and has hired a care worker to help me on the days when he is working, for which I’m incredibly grateful. Since he’s been around more, he has been witnessing the meltdowns that I have been telling him about for years, and unfortunately he has not been handling them well.

Since her diagnosis, I have attended parent training and have been doing what has been advised to me. I am patient with her and help her regulate her emotions when she is not able to self-regulate. He gets easily frustrated, yelling at her to “just stop,” or sometimes he tries to distract her with hugs or tickles (something that makes her meltdowns worse, as she doesn’t like to be touched in those moments). When I try to explain to him that those things don’t work and she can’t “just stop,” then he turns his frustration toward me. He thinks that I believe he is not a good dad or doesn’t know how to handle her, but that’s not the case.

I just have much more experience with her meltdowns and am trying to give him advice so he can handle her meltdowns better. My husband is a wonderful father and husband. He loves me and loves our kids and is a great man. How can I help him understand her diagnosis better and help him to be more confident in helping her regulate without the frustration and drama that ensues anytime I try to help? -- Overstimulated

quote:

Dear Overstimulated: Many couples think that having children automatically makes them closer, but raising young children, especially one with additional needs, can be very stressful on both parents. You are doing a great job. Take a moment to allow yourself to acknowledge that. Your husband just needs to learn more like you did about how best to parent your daughter. Ask your pediatrician for guidance or groups that can help you parent in ways that will set your daughter up for success in life. Your husband is not bad; he is just uninformed. In addition, try to make time for date nights or time for just the two of you so that you can reconnect.
Her husband's "I am a good dad and know how to handle my daughter's meltdowns" t-shirt is, frankly, not very accurate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

trickybiscuits posted:

And an army medic said that soldiers who refuse to shower may be dragged into the shower and forcibly cleaned by medical professionals like a car being detailed, because hygeine is important for disease prevention.

:lol: I don't remember the last time I felt so supportive of our military :patriot:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for telling my boyfriend to stop eating so much?

quote:

This such a stupid fight honestly but Reddit do your thing.

So some backstory. During my [28M] undergrad years, my parents paid for my grocery bills because they really (rightfully so) believed that good food is important to a students health. (I know, my parents are awesome). They never set a monthly limit to how much I could spend, but I was really frugal and never went over a $200 limit I imposed on myself. Now I’m back in grad school for my masters, and my parents are covering again. I know, I’m an adult with a few years of work under my belt now, but not having to worry about groceries lets me chip at rent and loans and other bills without losing sleep. I’m back on my extremely frugal way of eating and meal planning because still not gonna take advantage of my parents generosity.

My [27M] boyfriend, however, basically inhales all my food every time he’s over. Like eating all my snacks and legit every frozen meal, all the meat, one time he even ate the other half of a cheese I had already bit into(?!), etc, so he’s basically wolfing down my dinner and lunch. It’s forced me to open my own wallet to accommodate him (because not gonna send my parents a suddenly huge grocery bill) and he’s seriously messing up my finances (I plan basically down to the dollar).

We got into arguments and his side is : basically that my parents are gonna cover anyway so I need to stop spending my own money and not worry so much. And when I go over to his house I eat his food too (but I don’t eat as much as he does?)

My arguments are: just because my parents are covering doesn’t mean he can eat anything he wants? He legit eats my whole fridge I’m not even joking. The only thing he leaves are the vegetables. And he could eat less? When we go out he often has leftovers so why eat everything at my place?

I’ve banned him from cooking and using the raw ingredients at my place and I’m only giving him my small stash of snacks when he comes over and after the third time he’s not talking to me. Honestly this is such a stupid fight but if aita then I’ll apologize.

quote:

Edit: wow this blew up. Spent my morning thinking this over lol. But here’s some updates.

First off, I am a guy. Jesus I’ve gotten like at least five dms from sleazy dudes telling me they’ll treat me better and calling me weird pet names (had one guy say “hey babygirl” which just made me laugh) and all of their profiles are gross and misogynistic. Being a woman sounds exhausting (shout out to the ladies you guys are strong af). But yeah, I’m a gay dude.

Some people are worried about the $200 a month, that was ten years ago when i was in undergrad, sorry for the confusion. It’s closer to $300-400 now, and some months when i get my school’s student food bank (I only go if they have too much because i know there’s people that actually need it) and it’s like $0-100 So I guess it’s $250-350 Average? But yeah, I’m doing alright. I didn’t mention this but I did cover part of my parents mortgage when I was working after my bachelor’s (some people made comments about me leeching off my parents - I am right now but I did help them too….)

My parents are angels and they know my friends’ birthdays and always tell me to take them out during those months so they’re ok with paying for my boyfriend but I’m not. Even during undergrad when I dated another guy I thought I wanted to one day marry I never used their money on him. I don’t use their money on anyone but myself. Does that make me selfish? Maybe. But honestly I don’t really care.

Lots of people are telling me to dump him. Honestly the spark wasn’t there anymore for a while because we’ve been fighting over this and some other stuff for months and a lot of people are telling me this is a respect issue more than a stupid fight like I thought. I’m gonna think about how to approach this since he’s just ignoring me now lol. But yeah, think letting this relationship go might be the right move. I think I knew already knew, but sometimes it’s hard even if you know it’s the right thing to do, y’know?

Anyway, not gonna check this account anymore cause it was just a throwaway. Thanks Reddit for the help.

I love it when things quickly resolve themselves.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for being annoyed at my ungrateful (imo) girlfriend?

quote:

I (M19) have been thinking of presents for my girlfriend’s (F19) birthday. Last year I got her a great present off my own back, same for Christmas and Valentine’s Day. This time I’m struggling because I’ve exhausted all the great gifts I can afford to get her so today I asked if there’s anything in particular she’d like. Firstly she got annoyed that I’ve “known her for long enough” and that I should know what to get her. I explained what I said above and also made the point that when it’s been my birthday etc she’s always asked me. She claims it’s different.

She told me no Lego specifically because she has no room. I began brainstorming possible presents to get her and remembered Lego flowers. She does like Lego and she definitely likes flowers so I went looking at them. While on the phone to her she pestered me on what I was getting her and would not let me not say so I said the Lego flowers.

This is where in my opinion she started being even more rude and incredibly ungrateful saying she already said no Lego and that she doesn’t have room. I argued that a bunch of Lego flowers is different from a conventional Lego set and that she can easily pop them in a vase after we build them together. But argue argue argue with me getting upset because I genuinely thought she’d love them (she said she liked them when we were in Lego one time) but nope.

I know this seems silly but I really still want to get them for her. It just hurts me to think what if I did get them without telling her, would she find room for them or would she be ungrateful?

AITA? And what should I do now?

TL;DR feel my girlfriend is ungrateful about me getting her Lego flowers for birthday but she did say no Lego

I felt a bit of sympathy at first, but :laffo: at this big brain genius plan to get her literally the one thing she said she doesn't want. They're technically 0.1% different from what we talked about, how dare you not appreciate my thoughtfulness!! :arghfist:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

:lol: I don't remember the last time I felt so supportive of our military :patriot:

Post/username combo

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for being annoyed at my ungrateful (imo) girlfriend?

I felt a bit of sympathy at first, but :laffo: at this big brain genius plan to get her literally the one thing she said she doesn't want. They're technically 0.1% different from what we talked about, how dare you not appreciate my thoughtfulness!! :arghfist:

You can ask what someone wants for present, you can tell people what present you want if asked. In fact it's often a good idea if its something expensive. But don't ever ask what someone else is getting you, it's entitled and rude.

Also like that's just part of getting gifts, you don't always get exactly the thing you want. Just smile and say you love it. You're an adult, you can get exactly what you want yourself.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 20, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shanghaied posted:

Post/username combo

You can ask what someone wants for present, you can tell people what present you want if asked. In fact it's often a good idea if its something expensive. But don't ever ask what someone else is getting you, it's entitled and rude.

Also like that's just part of getting gifts, you don't always get exactly the thing you want. Just smile and say you love it. You're an adult, you can get exactly what you want yourself.

Are we really gonna do this all over again? If someone says "I do not want this" and you haven't gotten them a gift yet, don't get them that thing they don't want. Why does he even want to give it to them so badly? Clearly not to make her happy.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Midnight Voyager posted:

Are we really gonna do this all over again? If someone says "I do not want this" and you haven't gotten them a gift yet, don't get them that thing they don't want. Why does he even want to give it to them so badly? Clearly not to make her happy.

Of course he shouldn't get them for her now, now that he knows. But it was also rude of her to ask in the first place.

Also the whole "you know me long enough, so you should know what I want" thing is just annoying as hell. Tell them what you'd like, or just say "I'm sure I'll love whatever you get me." Saying "you should know" and then turn around and ask what they're getting her just make this another one of those manipulative relationship tests.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shanghaied posted:

Of course he shouldn't get them for her now, now that he knows. But it was also rude of her to ask in the first place.

Also the whole "you know me long enough, so you should know what I want" thing is just annoying as hell. Tell them what you'd like, or just say "I'm sure I'll love whatever you get me." Saying "you should know" and then turn around and ask what they're getting her just make this another one of those manipulative relationship tests.

Yeah but I'll argue that second point has nothing to do with anything. Sure, when you're given a gift you hate, you should probably pretend to like it unless it's heinous. But before this, she already said no Lego. The only thing he wants to give her is Lego. He was inexplicably surprised when she got annoyed he said he was giving her Lego.

I dunno, maybe she pesters him about it because he can't process the simple information "No Lego means No Lego." Maybe she's just an rear end in a top hat. He's still a prick either way.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for making my blyfriends nieces "weird"

quote:

I (23F) was staying at my boyfriends (25M) apartment for a few days when his sister (32F) had a medical non-emergency emergency. Not going into the details but she had to go to the hospital early in the morning awas going to be there at least until that night. Her husband (32M) dropped their kids (6 and 8 f) off at my boyfriends since we agreed to help, and stayed with her until he had to go into work that morning

Im close with my boyfriends famil so it wasn't a problem at all when my boyfriend wanted to go spend some time with his sister and he asked her if they minded me watching them

This is where I potentially made my mistake

I have a gothic fashion sense with volumous dresses or skirts, sew, and was going to spend the day working on a corset I'd been making. First I took them out to pick up new needles and get them breakfast since I'm a bad cook, where I wore a cloak while we went.

The nieces saw my sewing set up and loved my fashion so I made a slight change of plans. When we got home I ended up teaching them how to do a running stitch and guided them through making some handkerchiefs with scraps of cotton I had. I also had a bunch of black fleece I was going to use to make a night gown I decided to put to different use, and make them a couple of really simple cloaks. That took most of the day, so I made dinner since my boyfriend was still out waiting to see if his sister could go home

I put on some disney movies, and we spent the night with me showing them how to put on the hooks for their cloaks themselves and talking. At some point I got over dramatic and was saying generic old victorian stuff like "uncouth" and "balderdash" or describing Puss in Boots as a "scallywag" and "rapscallion"

They stayed the night after my boyfriend got home, got picked up early the next morning before I even woke up, I didnt think anything about it except hearing they had a great time. Its been a month later though and I found out his sister is mad at me because I "made her daughters weird"

They're refusing to stop wearing the cloaks I made with their dresses or skirts even when its cold out, apparently asked their grandma to teach them sewing since she did, and wont stop saying weird slang. In her words she said her daughter told her "uncouth is what you say when you want to be meam to someome" and they described her as a rapscallion.

Its not created a lot of tension yet and I know it'll probably blow over but I am worried since Im going to a family dinner soon and I was going to ask if they wanted to try crochet since I usually do that while everyone's goofing off. I asked my boyfriend and he thinks I should hold off and teach them to embroider their cloaks instead to make his sister more annoyed, but Im trying to avoid that

TLDR: I taught my nieces to sew and historical slang, gave them cloaks, and got accuses of making them weird.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Retired the title of Cool Aunt.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

more cloaks = better than

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That is adorable.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mx. posted:

cool aunt with the good boyfriend

quote:

I asked my boyfriend and he thinks I should hold off and teach them to embroider their cloaks instead to make his sister more annoyed

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

trickybiscuits posted:

And an army medic said that soldiers who refuse to shower may be dragged into the shower and forcibly cleaned by medical professionals like a car being detailed, because hygeine is important for disease prevention.

Uggghh, this is more common than you might think, I had to be the "shower watch" for a stinky kid one time, every day I had to sit there and stare at him while he showered, making sure he scrubbed everywhere and used soap, as well as brushing his teeth, that were completely covered in plaque. The first couple days, when he brushed his teeth (not flossed) he was spitting tons of blood in the sink.

After a week or so a quick "you shower today man?" Was sufficient to keep his hygiene on track, thank god.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

trickybiscuits posted:

AITA for not taking my son to a gig because he wouldn’t shower?

I just listened to the Behind the Bastards pod series on Steve Jobs. Jobs read a 19th century quack book about how get rid of mucus in your diet to purify your body and mind. This made young Jobs belive that he was pure, and didn't need to wash himself anymore. Everyone who dared told him he stank, and he was thrown out of a couple of his own meetings for showing up stinking and barefoot. He would also soak his feet in the toilet at work.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The little tyrannical deadbeat father poo poo goblin would also rub his putrid feet in meetings and go on screaming rants at literally anyone including young children about how awful they are for existing in his presence.

Good podcast. The Hitler of Computers indeed.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Mx. posted:

I want this absolute gem of a woman to come and be my aunt

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Elviscat posted:

Uggghh, this is more common than you might think, I had to be the "shower watch" for a stinky kid one time, every day I had to sit there and stare at him while he showered, making sure he scrubbed everywhere and used soap, as well as brushing his teeth, that were completely covered in plaque. The first couple days, when he brushed his teeth (not flossed) he was spitting tons of blood in the sink.

After a week or so a quick "you shower today man?" Was sufficient to keep his hygiene on track, thank god.

Jfc.

I read somewhere that the reason that the rates of suicide, substance abuse, and homeless is so high among veterans, even those that were never deployed overseas, is that the US DoD is basically the only social support system available in many parts of the US. And the armed forces end up picking up a lot of troubled young adults. While in there you get free healthcare, food, and housing, and support and routines. But once you're discharged all of that is yoinked away from you, you go right back to the life trajectory that you were on before you joined, just delayed by a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I don't know what you're talking about. I can easily afford a car payment that's 3/4s of my take home pay. If I run out of money I can just stay in the barracks and eat at the mess hall until the first of the month.