Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My system is perfect because it enhances all the things people like about each part of the season, without degrading one for the other.

The regular season is a marathon not a sprint, where roster construction and true talent (usually) win out over hot streaks. So we balance the schedule and reward the teams that win the most games. You still get 6 months of your team playing nearly every day, and you get to see them face all possible opponents.

People love the postseason because every game matters, and it's chaos where hot streaks are rewarded and upsets happen plenty. In short, tournaments are fun. So we expand the field to include more teams, more games, more underdogs, and more opportunities for chaos. We stack the deck early against lower seeds to help increase the chances of having good teams remaining at the end, but this also fuels the narrative power of any underdogs that manage to get hot and break through the first two rounds.

The only potential downside is this might kill the trade deadline because every team is still going to play in October. But maybe bad teams will still trade expiring contracts because the odds of them making a run are still very slim.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I like bawfuls' postseason system because it gives the Dodgers a trophy and an opportunity to lose in the first round to increasingly silly opponents

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

see? everybody wins!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

elentar posted:

With Jackson Chourio making the Brewers that’s now 3 20-year-olds on opening day rosters and they’re all named Jackson

Jack’s got some good god drat genes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The thing that is great about baseball is how long the season is. It's loving criminal that they have basically made the season way less meaningful with the expanded playoffs. It's really too bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Erase the playoffs, play baseball all year long, nonstop, never let the season end. If you didn't get a team, congrats--you are the only ones who are free.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Erase the playoffs, play baseball all year long, nonstop, never let the season end. If you didn't get a team, congrats--you are the only ones who are free.

Just have a running 162-game W/L record

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
lol Boras rules

https://twitter.com/enosarris/status/1770181983420764258?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

it's clearly someone else's fault that he hosed his clients.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If the Dodgers want they could just go to one of those little league trophy stores and have a bunch of regular season champion ones made. No one is stopping them

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

If the Dodgers want they could just go to one of those little league trophy stores and have a bunch of regular season champion ones made. No one is stopping them
this doesn't improve the postseason at all though, and it also doesn't address the feeling many people have that the regular season is too long and ultimately meaningless

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 19, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
When has the regular season not been meaningless? You can't "win" the regular season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Clayton Kershaw is a downright ancient 36 years old today :toot:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

When has the regular season not been meaningless? You can't "win" the regular season.
Yes you could, prior to 1969 the regular season championship was called the Pennant and it was a thing people absolutely cared about. When Bobby Thompson cheated to hit that home run in 1951 the announcer is yelling over and over "The Giants win the Pennant!" not "The Giants are going to the World Series!"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like that there's a bunch of meaningless games, love to go to a game in June and not really get too bummed if they lose. You can't have playoff intensity 100 times, need some lazy dogshit games.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Yes you could, prior to 1969 the regular season championship was called the Pennant and it was a thing people absolutely cared about. When Bobby Thompson cheated to hit that home run in 1951 the announcer is yelling over and over "The Giants win the Pennant!" not "The Giants are going to the World Series!"

So 55 years ago?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

So 55 years ago?
also known as the first 68 years of MLB yes

again, if you don't give a poo poo that's fine, my system has a thrilling 32-team tournament for you

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

I like that there's a bunch of meaningless games, love to go to a game in June and not really get too bummed if they lose. You can't have playoff intensity 100 times, need some lazy dogshit games.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

live with fruit posted:

I'm not sure putting a bunch of players who otherwise don't belong in the majors in the majors makes baseball better.

Nothing in the world is ever going to get better so you may as well get used to it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

bawfuls posted:

also known as the first 68 years of MLB yes

again, if you don't give a poo poo that's fine, my system has a thrilling 32-team tournament for you

there are plenty of things from the first decades of baseball history that have rightly been confined to the scrap heap

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't you threaten me with a good time

What have you done…

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jackson Holliday is the truth and the light

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

live with fruit posted:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bregor posted:

What have you done…

At least this derail is about basesball.

Also I'd be down for bawfuls system because more meaningless hardware to humble brag about is good.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

there are plenty of things from the first decades of baseball history that have rightly been confined to the scrap heap
poor justification, should we also abolish 4 balls to a walk and 3 strikes to a ball just because that's how they did it in 1910?

The argument was that the regular season has always been "meaningless" and therefore should remain so. I not only disagree with that logic (we can and do change things as we see fit), but also it is false because there were 6 decades of MLB where the regular season very much did mean something to players and fans.

My system is flawless because it contains something for everyone. Do you love near-meaningless mid-summer games? We got you covered with a 6-month season. Do you want to award a trophy to the team(s) who stand out during that 6-month marathon? We got you covered with the restoration of The Pennant(s). Do you love October Chaos Ball? We got you covered with the most chaotic, largest October super-tournament yet conceived! Do you want to see superteams crash and burn out of a tournament to the worst team in the sport? Buddy, imagine the Dodgers losing both ends of a double header at home to the A's to end their season. Do you want to see Mike Trout play at least one postseason game every year? We got that covered too!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 20, 2024

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There's real baseball happening in like 10 hours :aaa:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I will not be waking up at 3am to watch baseball, sorry dreamy Tyler, I'll have to catch your next start

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

The regular season is full of games, each of which you can individually win and derive joy from. They can even be considered in terms of series where extra joy can come from winning all of them.

Sorry, I just hate the "chip or bust" mentality.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Regular season baseball is for drinking beers and eating nachos in the sunshine enjoying watching the pajama men bop around on the basepaths and the postseason is for a series of insane emotional meltdowns.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

all of my teams baseball is good and there should be more of it

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Regular season baseball is for drinking beers and eating nachos in the sunshine enjoying watching the pajama men bop around on the basepaths
And for listening to on the radio as you drowse on the couch or in a hammock

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm open to a 130 game regular season followed by intradivisional ladder playoffs. Every team makes the playoffs!

Ahh the WCC style playoff.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If the only time you can derive joy from watching sports is when your team wins the pennant or trophy you'll be miserable 95% of the time.

Perfect for posting in SAS

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 20, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Give every team a ceremony for being the most special boys in their market territory so nobody feels left out except the Mets and White Sox.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Oh hey technically the first regular season game is in a few hours cause they’re counting the Seoul series as regular season games.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1770394753705685051?t=t9UfYWoIhe99qWBp4a1zhw&s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1770430285999481202

Same old padres

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Brito and Wandy immediately eating poo poo against the loathsome Dodgers. Weak.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I see the Padres wasted no time in being cursed for the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers rule Padres drool