Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ESH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
He's right that if the parking rules are engraved on a statue, they are unnecessarily difficult to access.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

silicone thrills posted:

Have fewer cars.
no

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HOAs always sound so tedious, but I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the guy who hordes cars either

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so glad i dont live in an hoa or deed restricted neighborhood lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

HashtagGirlboss posted:

HOAs always sound so tedious, but I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the guy who hordes cars either

Agreed, don't cage your cars. They yearn to be free to hunt down pedestrians.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HOA says I have to store my possessions on my own property??? Is this legal?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wanna know what he's storing in his garage that he absolutely cannot remove to fit his cars in there

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wanna know what he's storing in his garage that he absolutely cannot remove to fit his cars in there

Excess bullshit like all normal people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm gonna lose it if it's a boat

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i have a power rack and bench in my garage, cant park there. mad?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/Very__Regular/status/1770092614953423145

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

probably time for an illegal intimidation campaign against the HOA board

and to have fewer cars

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

its god given rights as a real american to see laws and regulations as mere advisories unless you are brown

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

i have a power rack and bench in my garage, cant park there. mad?

lol if you can't bench your car

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i was driving a car earlier today in the right lane 3mph over the speed limit and someone rode my bumper for 2 miles before honking while passing me. car is the only way to ggt where ibwas going unfortunately. anywyay cars turn people into monsters as you can see from the true story related in this very post

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

never seen red light cameras help any intersection or stretch of road ive been on. speed cameras do stuff light cameras just make people money
they're usually contracted out to private companies who start loving with the light timers to shorten yellows and make people try to run poo poo more
people also start to jam on their brakes when they have plenty of time and people right behind them or are in snow/rain and slide out into the intersection

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

never seen red light cameras help any intersection or stretch of road ive been on. speed cameras do stuff light cameras just make people money
they're usually contracted out to private companies who start loving with the light timers to shorten yellows and make people try to run poo poo more
people also start to jam on their brakes when they have plenty of time and people right behind them or are in snow/rain and slide out into the intersection

Red light cameras upset drivers which is worthwhile by itself

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

quote:

Sidewalks missing in more than 25% of Seattle's neighborhoods

quote:

SEATTLE — At the current pace of construction, it will take about 400 years before Seattle has sidewalks for all of its neighborhood streets.

According to the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT), 27% of the city’s neighborhoods do not currently have sidewalks available for people to walk on.

Councilmember Rob Saka, the chair of the Seattle City Council Transportation Committee, called that “unacceptable” during an SDOT presentation of the issue on Tuesday.

Sidewalks are required with different types of development projects and are mandatory with all new construction in area zones such as Urban Villages or Urban Centers.

Outside of those areas, property owners must install new sidewalks when 10 or more units are being built in a residential zone, which was formerly known as single-family housing, or when six or more units are being built in all other zones. The exceptions are areas zoned for maritime, manufacturing, and logistics.

Most of the neighborhoods with missing sidewalks are north of North 85th St and south of I-90.

SDOT considers a variety of factors when deciding where to proactively build new sidewalks. Priority is given to areas with lots of walkers, near schools, parks, and transit routes. Other considerations are streets with significant car speeds and equity for neighborhoods that have been historically marginalized.

To speed construction, SDOT sometimes considers alternatives to traditional sidewalks, which can cost anywhere between $400,000 to $800,000 per block. Painted walkways can be made quickly and much more affordably with costs averaging between $100,000 to $200,000 per block.

The Move Seattle Levy that voters approved set a goal of 250 blocks of new sidewalks or walkways over nine years. So far, 239 blocks have been completed, according to SDOT, with another 12 blocks currently under construction.

lol we just got one of the new "painted walkways" a few blocks from me (while still not having sidewalks like one block away from that) and its embarrassing that it costs 100k to paint. Like god drat some private contractor is pocketing so much loving money its unreal.

But hey, a whole brigade of pothole fillers/fixers went through the neighborhood in like a 3 month project and actually did the full cut and re-tarred and asphalted out big sections of our sidewalkless roads. Cars must have all priority.

the best part is now that there's less potholes people are driving even faster through the neighborhood.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Red light cameras upset drivers which is worthwhile by itself

i haven't checked but from all my experiences with those things they probably cause more accidents than they prevent since people running reds and actually getting into accidents in the process generally aren't even aware they're going through an intersection bc drugs/phone or they're panicked running from cops & not gonna slow down

like, the people who cut intersections to get through traffic & people entering at speed like right as it turns red but before anyone's moving in the other dir are pretty much a different problem altogether where if it's frequently happening in one place the problem is the intersection timing & a light camera will just make people go faster and cut it closer - they make people drive so bad

timed interval intersections are stupid as gently caress to have altogether when people don't know what they're doing it encourages the rapid start/stop drag racing between lights that causes most problems in heavy traffic

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Mar 19, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Or maybe a big spring could launch their car into the air if they run the red light

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

lol we just got one of the new "painted walkways"

Painted walkways would be cool if they were separated from car traffic by bollards.

BRB, inventing a powder-actuated gun to drive bollards into concrete

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Or maybe a big spring could launch their car into the air if they run the red light

The answer is always more bollards. Light turns red? Retractable bollards go up. If you’re on top of one after that happens, too bad.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Betrayed the thread. Drove a car for the first time in 25 years. Still sucks. I didn't kill anyone at least.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Speed cameras around here get vandalized all the time. I wonder about the mentality you'd have to have to do that sort of thing. How many times do you have to get nailed by one that you get so mad (at your own stupidity, really) to go out and hit it with spray paint in a fit of impotent rage? You'd have to get out of your car and everything.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

yeah they cause more accidents because people slam on their brakes when they see the yellow lol, they're absolutely not safer (but that's good because it's people in cars dying and not pedestrians)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

teethgrinder posted:

Betrayed the thread. Drove a car for the first time in 25 years. Still sucks. I didn't kill anyone at least.

I've gotta drive tomorrow for the first time in a year and im not excited about it at all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

i haven't checked but from all my experiences with those things they probably cause more accidents than they prevent since people running reds and actually getting into accidents in the process generally aren't even aware they're going through an intersection bc drugs/phone or they're panicked running from cops & not gonna slow down

like, the people who cut intersections to get through traffic & people entering at speed like right as it turns red but before anyone's moving in the other dir are pretty much a different problem altogether where if it's frequently happening in one place the problem is the intersection timing & a light camera will just make people go faster and cut it closer - they make people drive so bad

timed interval intersections are stupid as gently caress to have altogether when people don't know what they're doing it encourages the rapid start/stop drag racing between lights that causes most problems in heavy traffic

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1770119523389022648

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

drat were you ok after you crashed your truck?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
to be entirely fair, applying physical "traffic calming" designs like speed bumps and narrowing lanes would do more towards forcing cars to slow down rather than speed cameras

but that's not happening, so given the choice between speed cameras and in-person enforcement, we'll take the speed cameras

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

to be entirely fair, applying physical "traffic calming" designs like speed bumps and narrowing lanes would do more towards forcing cars to slow down rather than speed cameras

but that's not happening, so given the choice between speed cameras and in-person enforcement, we'll take the speed cameras

They added speed bumps on a road here after some kid got blasted and two adults got ran over trying to help the kid. People just glide over the bumps at 40mph in their pickups.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

yeah they cause more accidents because people slam on their brakes when they see the yellow lol, they're absolutely not safer (but that's good because it's people in cars dying and not pedestrians)

People shouldn’t follow that close or be going that fast. And people zipping through a red to beat cross traffic isn’t really a timing issue, it’s an rear end in a top hat issue. The red light cameras around here took a couple years after installation but they did seem to change behavior at those specific intersections

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

bollards as lane dividers is the answer

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The answer is always more bollards. Light turns red? Retractable bollards go up. If you’re on top of one after that happens, too bad.

some good ideas this page

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thinking about how overpowered the Plazas and Promenades DLC is for Cities Skylines 1: designate a section of your city as pedestrianized, and all movement and transportation inside the district happens instantaneously. All you need are transport links on the border of the district, to the outside.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

People shouldn’t follow that close or be going that fast. And people zipping through a red to beat cross traffic isn’t really a timing issue, it’s an rear end in a top hat issue. The red light cameras around here took a couple years after installation but they did seem to change behavior at those specific intersections

regardless of what they should do, the material conditions cannot be ignored and they say there are more crashes at these intersections

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

ALLENPORT, Pa. — A Washington County family is devastated over the loss of their loved one who was killed in a crash over the weekend.

Kayla Demo, 27, said her little sister Tori Demo, 25, was everything to her.

“She was such a bright, lovely girl,” Kayla said. “She was so full of life. Her smile, she was just beautiful inside and out. Heart full of gold. She’d give you her last dollar.”

Tori was the second oldest out of five sisters, but Kayla said the bond they shared was unlike any other.

The 25-year-old was killed in a horrific car crash Saturday morning when she was driving to Petsmart as part of her job with a cleaning business.

“She never made it, never made it,” said Kayla.

Tori was on I-70 in Rostraver Township in Westmoreland County when state police said a driver in a pickup truck rear-ended her. The car then caught fire.

“It happened so fast that the car caught fire and they couldn’t get her out in time,” Kayla said.

Kayla said she saw the reports coming in and messaged her sister to warn her not realizing the person in the deadly crash was Tori.

“The whole time, I didn’t know it was her,” she said through tears. “I went to work. I did everything normal that day. I was still texting her. I was still messaging her, but I wasn’t getting no response.”

Kayla said her family is devastated. She’s now trying to find peace as she figures out how to live without her best friend.

“I hate it,” she said. “I message her every night since that happened. I’ve been messaging her every night knowing that I’m not going to get that response but praying I still get something. I need to know she’s OK.”

State police told Channel 11 they’re still investigating the crash. It’s unclear if the driver will face any charges at this time, but Kayla strongly believes he should be held accountable.

narrator voice: "it was just an accident, and he did not."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feels like people could solve these problems by simply coming to a stop rather than try to unsafely speed through an intersection to "beat the yellow"